U.S. Cellular Reviews in Knoxville, TN

Updated August 26, 2014
Updated August 26, 2014
3.2

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • My work life balance was never any problem in the call center in Tulsa (in 46 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was at times less but ultimately always rewarding (in 45 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company, really cares about their employees and customers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than a year

Pros

US Cellular offers a great work environment, knowledgable and willing training and support staff. Excellent incentives and insurance really make working in a call center more bearable, and there's always something fun going on around the center.

Cons

At the end of the day, it's still a call center. You speak with customer's who will likely never talk to you again, and that gives them the bravery to say whatever they want to you. Generally they're nice, but you always live with the fear of getting the one that isn't. Also, the work gets monotonous, fast.

Remember that your employees are human. They have lives outside of work, and sometimes that effects their consistency.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time

Pros

They have a café and there in no call time to meet.

Cons

There is a great deal of backstabbing and the supervisors really have no clue how to supervise.

Train your supervisors better or you will lose good employees. I voluntarily quit rather than deal with it anymore keeping in mind I got a free phone and the pay was not all that bad.

Complacent leadership and middle management

Current Employee - Agent Support  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Agent Support in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than a year

Pros

There was a lot of areas to improve upon.

Cons

The organization is not in a position to act upon the opportunities in front of them. Key roles are left un-empowered.

Currently you have a several leadership positions filled with unqualified highly tenured individuals in key strategic roles because of the last organization change. You need to get rid of them and bring in more qualified individuals. Once you are able to capture real talent that brings in value please cultivate them by having them learn from all the consultants you have in house so they can migrate into those positions.

USC has a real opportunity to be a player in the market and agents who care, but you need to make the changes across the departments to provide some sense of business continuity.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be an awesome place

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Many weeks of training before placed on phones. Good pay.

Cons

Changing the metric all the time on how your calls are evaluated, makes it hard to stay above and get counseling all the time. To get into a better role off the phones, it's by who you know, not your qualifications. Morale is very low due to can't keep the systems running properly and makes customers mad and they take out on the reps.

Fix the computer issues and quit putting people that have never been to college or any training in the IT field.

Terrible Schedules

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time

Pros

No dress code, immediate health ins, included monthy service with data wireless phone

Cons

Terrible schedules, always re bidding schedules and no consistency,lots of PTO but cant schedule to take it.

Customer Service Center

Current Employee - Customer Service Coach  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Coach in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work environment. Good pay and benefits

Cons

Stressful and poor work/life balance

All the tools necessary to be the best are in place.

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Prefer Not to Disclose in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The business model is perfect for the times and is designed to empower at all levels from the front line forward.

Cons

Selective (read inconsistent) political correctness interferes with decision making. Some of the tenured leadership obtained their current position before inter-industry competition became as intense as it is today so there are pockets of resistance to contemporary sales training concepts and practices.

One specific paragraph within the code of ethics and selective interpretation of it gives rise to inconsistent accountability at middle management levels.

Good Money, Horrible Schedules

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay rate is one of the highest in my area for a call center. No dress code. Immediate health insurance coverage.

Cons

They claim to be very alternative to the traditional professional work setting. I worked there for 8 mos. In that time went though mandatory work schedule changes. The managers are too focused on favoritism. For a parent and individuals with families it is not easy to change ones schedule every few months.

Stop the favoritism to the "quirky" employees. I am a traditional professional and was ostracized for it.

Amazing Culture, Pay and Values Based leadership.

Current Employee - Sales Leadership  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Sales Leadership in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Culture, Customer Focus, Benifits, Development, Values

Cons

Tough industry, not growing as fast as competitors

Respect the past, create the future

If you can drink the kool-aid, you're set for life.

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant and Small Business Specialist  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant and Small Business Specialist in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than a year

Pros

(I was a Retail Wireless Consultant)
    - Decent pay for what you're doing.
    - Don't need much education.
    - If you're in the right store, you can have a great manager and learn a lot.
    - Mary Dillon, the CEO, is intelligent and is definitely trying to make the company as big as she can.

Cons

- Incredibly repetitive.
    - Customers aren't usually very smart, which can be exhausting.
    - You HAVE to believe US Cellular is better than everyone else in order to be successful. Ad campaigns don't usually paint an accurate picture (for example, we ran a campaign that said customers could save up to $300 a year if they switched, however, the campaign was comparing Verizon and AT&T unlimited plans to our 450 minute plans. Not quite the same.)
    - Most stores don't have good management, and so you have to deal with things you shouldn't have to. For example, in my store, my manager played favorites more than anything I've ever seen. She had someone fired because she did not like them (she told me in a one-on-one), simply by writing down every single little thing they did wrong (including things that would normally be done wrong if you were new, like not signing the closing list). She said, and I quote, that "if she wants to get someone fired, she'll write down everything they do wrong until she has enough of a reason to fire them." She also used the store's ideas to further herself in her career, which builds resentment in the team.

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!