U.S. Cellular Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.5
Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • A fair work/life balance if you are on the right team (in 48 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • A horrible work/life balance depending on the team (in 50 reviews)

• With the new billing system front line associates got hit hard with angry customers (in 17 reviews)

1. USCC

Current Employee - National Retail in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - National Retail in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Pay and benefits (vacation time/ health insurance)

Cons

lack of positions outside of sales outside of Chicago

Advice to Management

None

Sales - Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are quality. Adequate amount of PTO. Co-workers and teams can develop strong camaraderie and genuinely met some wonderful people. Customers can be enjoyable to work with if one is patient and thick skinned. Compensation for those with high commitment to achieve can be good. However, compensation for those who have no long term goals to develop professional relationships with customers can be higher. Promotion from within is possible. However, across several markets and territories I can say that it was the most ruthlessly political squabbling I've ever seen for sales management promotions that in many ways are a step down from sales roles. For every qualified well intentioned leader there are 3 friends of someone who are just passing through roles as they climb, and the collateral damage of these practices are apparent. Be prepared to play the game. "What have you done for me lately?"

Cons

Unrealistic Goals setting good employees up for failure - In sales and management roles the goals have become unrealistic due to changing (struggling) needs of business. The metrics change once or twice a year and the trend seems to be that it becomes more challenging to make the same bonus as the previous month or quarter. The climate has become one of fear for the managers which is passed on to micromanaging the RWC to a point of diminishing returns. The caliber of training,has gone substantially downhill over the past 5 years, while the expectations have multiplied due to business needs and the elimination of valuable roles like cashier greeters which negatively impact customer experience. Failing product - the organization has turned it's back on it's core base of working class clientele that need service in hard to reach areas and is desperate for connected lifestyle product revenue that VZW is pushing. The coverage is great for folks that don't travel beyond home service area. Throttled data due to regional markets means national competition has a clear edge for the same price point and is often not the right product for many customers. It's up to a sales rep to offer a high quality experience that will be smoke and mirrors to take the focus off the inadequacies of the service. However, due to the system change, the elimination of roles and procedural shifts to reviewing accounts in hopes of squeezing additional products out of accounts, the in store experience has defaulted to extremely low quality, so the rep has their work cut out for them from start to finish. No accountability - The biggest pitfall a rep will face is the joke of a system. Years later, after countless outages and billing issue disasters, the system cannot handle simple tasks and the only response offered by leadership was it's better than it was. This head in the sand mentality is unfortunately all too common for those not front line. The system makes challenging quotas that reps are held accountable for even more arduous. Be prepared to lose deals you have closed through no fault of your own. This is retail Due to the high turnover, work/life balance is nonexistent: If a team loses a member, no overtime is out the window. Open to close, being required to fill in for call outs etc. The mandatory meetings even if one is scheduled off are an imposition and I cannot recall a single instance that a quick conversation with a leader or team email wouldn't have accomplished the same, if not more.

Advice to Management

You have lost sight of the value of your customers and your employees. You have refused to grow and evolve to your customers expectations in an effective manner. It pains me to say a buyout is the best thing for all parties, as many good people would would be displaced. However, from top to bottom this organization has devolved into a wart on the face of the wireless industry, which wasn't exactly pretty to begin with. Customers pay for more than the perpetually stalled intentions you deliver, but pat yourself on the back for. Artificial non-viable subscriber growth can only go so far before the bubble bursts.

Meh.

Former Employee - Former Service Tech in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Former Service Tech in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good. Very good insurance/pension/401K from Day One. The pay is also above average for the industry. Honestly, the only reason they have 20-year tenured employees is because of the pay and benefits...certainly not because of the work environment.

Cons

Towards the end, pulling in the parking lot was tough to do. As a former service technician, the position was "eliminated" company-wide and I was given option of severance package or taking a CS position at the call center. In hindsight, the severance would probably be the route I would take if I got a mulligan. Although I was paid EXTREMELY WELL to do customer service (I pretty much kept my tech salary), it got so bad after a few months I was formulating excuses on the way to work to leave early or lay out completely. The USC call center environment is a dungeon that sucks out your soul! Constant monitoring of your calls. They track EVERY LAST SECOND of your time like the Gustapo. Retail sales is still ok, but if you want to keep your sanity, avoid any call center position. The "culture" they force feed you is....scary.

Advice to Management

Give employees some credit for actually working properly without never-ending, GOD-AWFUL "discovery sessions" (i.e. Here's what you did wrong this week).

5. Great Place and Benefits

Former Employee - Coach in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Coach in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, great benefits (2 weeks vaca, 1 personal, and 6 six days for first year. Increased to 3 weeks vaca at 3 years. Increased to 4 weeks vaca at 10 years), and room to move up into lower management is abundant. Can't beat a free cell phone either.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement depend on location. If you are in a location without much turnover then the opportunities can be few and far between. The coaches (supervisors) did not have any control over their schedules. They were placed as management saw fit. Customer service reps were ranked and could select schedules based off of ranking.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to management; there are opportunities within leadership but nothing that would not be encountered at any office/customer service type of job.

don't do it to yourself

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

the pay isn't terrible but certainly not worth the work you put behind what it is that you do. You get bonuses sometimes IF you aren't on any correctional path-which they absolutely love to put people on.

Cons

Where do I even begin? There is absolutely NO consistency among the leaders what so ever. One team your work is exceeding. Another team it is below average. Not to mention that they change your leaders and team and schedule and location of your work space ALLLLLLL THE TIME!!! You can literally NEVER do enough to please this monster of a place unless you kiss butt and are friends with people in management which you have to be of a certain cookie cutter of people to do that. Even though they say it is a place that accepts all kinds of people. Be a little different and you will see quickly that is not the case. They constantly add more work load to your job description and give you work from other departments that make more money than you do in a general customer service role but you do twice as much work in that sort of role. They will change your work schedule with little notice. You do get to bid on a work shift but if you are new or if you are on correctional path (for all sorts of stupid reasons) you will not get the shift you want. Now I have worked customer service roles before and talked to a lot of customers, however I am here to tell you that these are literally the WORST and MEANEST customers I have ever encountered. The company has TRAINED the customers to act like they do because they know if they throw around the word cancel or if they pitch a big enough fit about something that is 100% the customers fault that they will do exactly what it is that they want. They say you have empowerment here and it is a lie. If you tell a customer they cannot have a credit for a valid reason and they escalate, you can be certain that not only did they give the customer the credit they apologize for how YOU acted doing YOUR job correctly. I was so miserable here that I cried a lot in the car before work. Everything you hear happy about this place is from jaded people drinking the koolaid or who are completely fearful that if you say anything negative about this place that you will be fired. Which is a good assumption because I have seen people get written up and nearly fired for so much as SIGHING after a call.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Have one standard for all and stop playing favorites.

It ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

The pay was descent and benefits were good. Liked the people I worked with on my team.

Cons

They always wanted to hold that you get paid so well over your head and you should be so lucky to work there. You had to basically suck up to all the management. If you questioned anything you would get a target on your back and you could expect to get fired soon. Never felt comfortable. Always felt that I was going to get fired everyday. Environment was very stressful. Unless you drank the Kool-Aid. If you have a mind of your own and opinions I would suggest keep them to your self if you work there. Taking calls got old quickly. They said they focused on customer service but really they are just being nosy with all the questions you have to ask the customers. You couldn't never go to the bathroom without them questioning you why you were gone so long. You are monitored all the time. If you want to to keep you sanity and be stress free find a different place to work.

8. Goal oriented company that empowers associates to affect change

Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Reliability Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules Empowerment to make a difference Real customer focus Conservative approach

Cons

Not many Cons Conservative approach is a plus and a minus sometimes

Best Job Ever!

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Pay, work life balance, people. The leadership is very helpful.

Cons

There are no cons.This place rocks!

Advice to Management

Stay the same

Great company, really cares about their employees and customers

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (More than a year)

Pros

US Cellular offers a great work environment, knowledgable and willing training and support staff. Excellent incentives and insurance really make working in a call center more bearable, and there's always something fun going on around the center.

Cons

At the end of the day, it's still a call center. You speak with customer's who will likely never talk to you again, and that gives them the bravery to say whatever they want to you. Generally they're nice, but you always live with the fear of getting the one that isn't. Also, the work gets monotonous, fast.

Advice to Management

Remember that your employees are human. They have lives outside of work, and sometimes that effects their consistency.

Not a great place to work

Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Care Agent in Knoxville, TN

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time

Pros

They have a café and there in no call time to meet.

Cons

There is a great deal of backstabbing and the supervisors really have no clue how to supervise.

Advice to Management

Train your supervisors better or you will lose good employees. I voluntarily quit rather than deal with it anymore keeping in mind I got a free phone and the pay was not all that bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed