U.S. Cellular

www.uscellular.com

U.S. Cellular Reviews in Knoxville, TN

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • It also depends on your own manager if there is any sort of understanding for a work/life balance(in 43 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time(in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult in retail stores, especially with somewhat high turnover(in 34 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad(in 15 reviews)

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service Center

Customer Service Coach (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsWork environment. Good pay and benefits

ConsStressful and poor work/life balance

Used to be an awesome place

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsGreat benefits. Many weeks of training before placed on phones. Good pay.

ConsChanging the metric all the time on how your calls are evaluated, makes it hard to stay above and get counseling all the time. To get into a better role off the phones, it's by who you know, not your qualifications. Morale is very low due to can't keep the systems running properly and makes customers mad and they take out on the reps.

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the computer issues and quit putting people that have never been to college or any training in the IT field.

Terrible Schedules

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsNo dress code, immediate health ins, included monthy service with data wireless phone

ConsTerrible schedules, always re bidding schedules and no consistency,lots of PTO but cant schedule to take it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All the tools necessary to be the best are in place.

Prefer Not to Disclose (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThe business model is perfect for the times and is designed to empower at all levels from the front line forward.

ConsSelective (read inconsistent) political correctness interferes with decision making. Some of the tenured leadership obtained their current position before inter-industry competition became as intense as it is today so there are pockets of resistance to contemporary sales training concepts and practices.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne specific paragraph within the code of ethics and selective interpretation of it gives rise to inconsistent accountability at middle management levels.

Good Money, Horrible Schedules

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThe pay rate is one of the highest in my area for a call center. No dress code. Immediate health insurance coverage.

ConsThey claim to be very alternative to the traditional professional work setting. I worked there for 8 mos. In that time went though mandatory work schedule changes. The managers are too focused on favoritism. For a parent and individuals with families it is not easy to change ones schedule every few months.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the favoritism to the "quirky" employees. I am a traditional professional and was ostracized for it.

Amazing Culture, Pay and Values Based leadership.

Sales Leadership (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsCulture, Customer Focus, Benifits, Development, Values

ConsTough industry, not growing as fast as competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the past, create the future

If you can drink the kool-aid, you're set for life.

Retail Wireless Consultant and Small Business Specialist (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

Pros(I was a Retail Wireless Consultant)
    - Decent pay for what you're doing.
    - Don't need much education.
    - If you're in the right store, you can have a great manager and learn a lot.
    - Mary Dillon, the CEO, is intelligent and is definitely trying to make the company as big as she can.

Cons- Incredibly repetitive.
    - Customers aren't usually very smart, which can be exhausting.
    - You HAVE to believe US Cellular is better than everyone else in order to be successful. Ad campaigns don't usually paint an accurate picture (for example, we ran a campaign that said customers could save up to $300 a year if they switched, however, the campaign was comparing Verizon and AT&T unlimited plans to our 450 minute plans. Not quite the same.)
    - Most stores don't have good management, and so you have to deal with things you shouldn't have to. For example, in my store, my manager played favorites more than anything I've ever seen. She had someone fired because she did not like them (she told me in a one-on-one), simply by writing down every single little thing they did wrong (including things that would normally be done wrong if you were new, like not signing the closing list). She said, and I quote, that "if she wants to get someone fired, she'll write down everything they do wrong until she has enough of a reason to fire them." She also used the store's ideas to further herself in her career, which builds resentment in the team.

Great connections with customers

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsThis company was very good to me.

ConsToo far from my family

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Very great company to work for.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsGreat benefits and pay for the type of work that is done.

ConsA lot is required of you for the position you are in. Also, if you have worked for them and leave, you cannot come back.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should look at the track record of previous employees before denying them.

Great at first..then reassigned to a Coach who would drag down your moral or intellectual character

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsGenerally great people, work together well, good pay and benefits

ConsIf your Coach doesnt like you, you will be terminated. It will be his ambition to bring you down.Something will be "discovered" that you violated. You have to "know" people to feel secure. The Company also may want to refresh their education on Americans with Disabilities Act.This site is probably as anonymous as the culture survey.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the tenured associates. Listen to both sides of the story the Coaches are not always correct, the Coach will deprive you of your human qualities, personality, or spirit.

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!