U.S. Cellular Reviews in Omaha, NE

3.1

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • It also depends on your own manager if there is any sort of understanding for a work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult in retail stores, especially with somewhat high turnover (in 34 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

2 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

4 Years to the Positive, but Headed South

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent Benefits for full and part-time work, positive culture, clear mission

Cons

Politics. Heavy on the politics. Most of the time, the front line folks are so well paid, they don't rally around the vision and mission anymore. They stick to themselves, and accountability is sacrificed for popularity.

Revise the disciplinary process, or teach your mid-managers to fire people honestly and straight up. I was threatened with a PIP, and when I asked what it would entail, they had no idea and didn't know if they could help me. They would have had to fire me, because I had the "will", just not the "skill", and they didn't want to help me find it anymore. I wish they would have just said that instead of tooling around with me and my feelings.

A mixed bag

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant  in  Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Omaha, NE

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time for more than a year

Pros

The money is great. If you are a "paper chaser" and self motivated, you will find success here.

Cons

Micromanagement...so much of it. At one point we were required to photocopy our records of customer interactions and hand them in like school children. And questioning these kinds of procedures leads to disciplinary action. In a word, management is ineffective. Most of them seem to be inexperienced managers. Those who aren't are few and far between. The feedback model at US Cellular is an immediate one. For ex, you go through a customer interaction and right after it happens, you get feedback on it. Don't bother asking for clarification on these sessions.

Practice what you preach. There is a strict requirement for employees to "use their books" yet managers literally never do. Managers also leave and come in whenever they want to. Lead by example.

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!