U.S. Cellular

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • My work life balance was never any problem in the call center in Tulsa (in 48 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was at times less but ultimately always rewarding (in 50 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in North Conway, NH
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in North Conway, NH

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Co-workers are great, customers are great, upper management actually knows your name unlike other corporate companies, benefits from the day you start

Cons

Work life balance but it's retail it's to be expected, sometimes sales goals can be tough

Be on the floor more to observe and help

Best Company Ever

Current Employee - IT Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Empowerment Empowerment Empowerment Empowerment Empowerment

Cons

None None None None None

Everything fine

Retail Wireless Consultant

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Marshalltown, IA
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Marshalltown, IA

I worked at U.S. Cellular part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay for not requiring college degree.

Cons

Can be hard to meet sales goals.

Have some type of discounts when sales are low.

Its Okay

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good, you get to work with some good technology, and the free cell phone service is also an added bonus.

Cons

U.S. Cellular has a VERY poor and failing system, it never works and is extremely slow, which leads to frustrated customers. In my 8+ months with the company, I have yet to have a smooth transaction where the system works as it is suppose to- you are always on the phone with tech and the system also messes bills up daily. They give RWC's very little power on certain functions of the job, and we are constantly resorting to calling customer support or going to our leader. Your schedule changes all the time on absolutely no notice and you are forced to follow it.

Admit your system failed and fix it or get a different one, give us more power to do our jobs, stop re-adjusting the commission structure to trends so that we make less money.

Customer service

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

No dress code, great benefits, many choices of shifts for hours

Cons

Standards matter on the supervisior, what one person may see as management possibly someone else could say they need to be fired.

Better training of coaches needed and no pushing other departments jobs on everyone

A Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good structure in theory with the "dynamic organization" etc. They offer tuition assistance and do pay well...if you happened to work in a busy location. The hours can be flexible to an extent to work around school/other obligations. U.S Cellular did prefer to promote from within which is always a plus. U.S Cellular really stepped up when giving severance packages/support to employees that were displaced to market closures.

Cons

While the structure may be ideal...the consistency is not. I had many great managers and several others that were just plain terrible. Sometimes we all wondered how several were even given the positions they were in? I noticed that the best managers were those promoted from within.

Pay differs tremendously between locations. While this is true for almost any commissioned sales position out there, the company attempted to balance things out without success. Stores within miles of each other would see huge differences in traffic and overall employee compensation. I worked for a busy location so I was well compensated, but I felt sorry for those who were in the "dead" locations. The company lost a lot of talented people at some slower locations due to lack of business/commission. Some would barely make more than the $9-$11 standard hourly while others at the busier locations made $25/hr+.

U.S Cellular was always a step behind in technology/products compared to other wireless carriers. This has hurt the company tremendously as I am sure they realize. They have just recently attempted to catch up in recent years but still aren't where they need to be to be competitive. I believe this issue caused the closure of markets. It is hard to compete when you don't offer the newest technology available...no matter what anyone says. From a consumer standpoint people are attracted to the newest/best products available and will sacrifice service/etc to get those things.

Consistency in Management
    Focus on the newest technology available.

Càtering to the lowest common denominator

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people and decent pay for the level of work

Cons

Incompetent management. It's not what you know it's who you know

Disappointed

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

decent pay, great insurance, peer training.

Cons

Stressful, no work life balance, not enough training for new employees, terrible micro-management, they don't trust employees.

You have good employees that really care about your customers, and then you have associates who literally couldn't care less. The associates who couldn't care less about the company are making decisions that don't line up with the business code of conduct or the D. O. For the most part they're given a slap on the wrist and told to keep it moving because in my experience they happen to be a top seller or their numbers are really good. Then you fire employees for doing nothing wrong and upholding the stores policies. Moral is terrible in the stores because you're bringing in managers that have never worked for the company before (among other reasons) so the employees end up sacrificing sales because they are training the managers to do every day tasks.

great company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

environment is great and the pay was good.

Cons

retail hours are always a con.

Amazing culture, great pay, and a lot of opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Concord, NH

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is led by strong senior leaders with a focus on amazing company culture equating to great customer service and strong end results.

Cons

Requires a lot of flexibility to be in the wireless industry. The only thing that is constant is that it will be constantly changing.

Stayed focused on business results while maintaining a presence on the front line .