U.S. Cellular

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.2

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • My work life balance was never any problem in the call center in Tulsa (in 48 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was at times less but ultimately always rewarding (in 50 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Over all was a good experience. The company has good core ideas.

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Moline, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Has a good commission structure and good core values. The company has a good vision. They do believe in promoting from within when possible.

Cons

No work/life balance and need a more thorough training program with implementing new ideas and systems. Implemented a new horrible POS system. Lost a lot of customers.

Need to make sure associates are trained thoroughly and implemented properly instead of leaving your associates to flounder.

Great company! Dedicated to employees & customers

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Committed to associate work/life balance, ideal to grow a career, open door policy makes it easy to talk to any level management.

Cons

In the past, slow to communicate changes but this has been much improved in the past year

U.S. Cellular provides a challenging, yet rewarding work environment that is based upon building a strong culture.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

U.S. Cellular has a tremendous business model that is based upon the values and behaviors that drive individuals and the company to success. The products and services are top notch and are comparable to those offered by larger carriers. Compensation and benefits are very competitive for the industry.

Cons

Recently restructured staffing model places a greater load of work upon leaders and associates. Increased product line and broadening of market segments leads to further demand of leaders and associates. Bonus is great but associates make more through their commission than tenured leaders make in bonus.

This is a great company to work for.

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Advancement is available if you work hard
    Benefits are good and start day 1
    Environment is open and friendly
    Pay is good
    Customer Focus is number one
    Work life Balance

Cons

Micromanaging is horrible for leaders
    Not trend setting is always behind competitors
    Advancement is stagnant after becoming a leader
    Small Company
    Complacency

Look for ways to develop leaders.

Fast-paced, Great Culture, a Solid Mix of Individual & Team Work

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, decent pay for retail

Cons

working well past your shift end time,

Great sales job. Pays well, so it's hard to walk away from.

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pays well, but over the last year the company has found multiple ways to cut commissions. It has really ticked a lot of employees off. Still hard to walk away from the pay, even after all of the changes.

Benefits from day one.

Get an employee phone line for free, but they don't always have the newest phones available.

Fairly rewarding job during the good months. Most associates are pretty fun and easy to work with.

Cons

Work-life balance is rough, as it is with any retail sales job.

Training is minimal. Everything is learned through experience, but there are too many things that they leave up to you to try to figure out.

Corporate life. The company owns you. They act like your feedback matters to them, but nobody listens. Shown by their lack of change in all the areas that matter most to retail sales associates.

Management is all about micro-managing and attaining quotas. They don't do a good job of motivating sales people, training, and developing. Managers all act like robots, they just follow the corporate agenda and put a fake smile on their face.

Pay used to be much better. The company keeps finding ways to cut pay, while adding more and more work to the plates of employees. More work for less money is driving nearly all employees to start shopping for jobs.

Corporate management needs to figure out a way to get mass feedback from retail sales employees and fix all the issues in the field. The worst part of this job is that the computer system never works the way it should. We, as employees, complain to management all the time, but NOTHING ever changes. I honestly HATED my job a lot of the time because they don't provide you the tools to even meet the rising quotas.

A good "job" when you need one

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Good benefits and PTO. They try to stay customer focused. Their DO culture is awesome if you can get on a team that actually takes it to heart and "lives it". There's a bonus structure in place that is pretty good. The people are generally nice and there's very little drama.

Cons

They make it hard to move up, or even around horizontally, in the company. There are long interview processes for each different position, regardless of the fact that you're already and employee. The interview questions are scripted and they give very little value to your experience/skill level. It can take several weeks, even months to secure a different position within the company. Faster to just find another job elsewhere.

Live the culture so that your team members will. There's a lot of leaders there that really have an "I don't care" attitude and it makes it hard for the little guy to care.

I missed the way it was

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary was very competitive and paid time off was as well

Cons

We were based on a culture my Jack Rooney. The Dynamic Organization was what made us winners in the market place. That took a back seat as leadership was moved around. We had an amazing DOS in Missouri that took a much deserved promotion, however, the replacement was very back stabbing and created the same with their immediate reports.

Remember where we came from. Our culture and our customer focus was what separated us from the others. Now US Cellular is just another carrier doing what other carriers do. And because of that, we lost many loyal customers. But more importantly, we lost our caring associates along the way.

Good thought poor execution

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The management is great and usually on board with the path of the company. Always found them supportive and eager to help. Everyone is enrolled in the customer experience which is nice coming from larger retailers.

Cons

Work/Life balance was non-existant. Had to fight to get employees scheduled off for multiple days in a row. Also the old culture which lacked an emphasis on sales lingered creating a hostile environment for new employees who were sales oriented

Corporate headquarters

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Fast paced, challenging environment
    Interesting work
    Great coworkers
    free phones for employees
    Good opportunity for those in the right place at the right time

Cons

Extremely political environment. Lots of overhead to deliver projects. Who you know is very important.
    Unrealistic workload expectations.