U.S. Cellular Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • A fair work/life balance if you are on the right team (in 48 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • A horrible work/life balance depending on the team (in 50 reviews)

• With the new billing system front line associates got hit hard with angry customers (in 17 reviews)

1. its fun working here

Current Employee - Bss in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Bss in Madison, WI

Pros

You have a voice and empowerment to do what you think is best for the customer. The company really listens to its employees and trys to have the best leadership possible. The leadership model is based on empowerment, you don't have to ask permission to get your job done, you do what is best for the situation. It doesn't matter what position you work in your focus is always on the customer. You are never discouraged to ask why the company is changing something.

Cons

Small local carrier, not nationwide, people always ask you about phones. Advancement is hard because people never leave their jobs.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, although the technology of our company is a little behind

2. Great place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Naperville, IL

Pros

Good culture, Supportive and effective leadership. Lots of programs for self-development - personally and professionally. Us Cellular offers on e of the best plans in the industry and customer satisfaction. Every day is different.

Cons

Phones are not as competitive compared to competitors in terms of variety and style (most phones are out dated). Equipment pricing is not competitive and no attractive promotions offered like other carriers during minor events (father days , Mothers day, Labor day), There aren't any work related downsides. Company has cut down on various expenses due to the market conditions. Overall outlook looks very sold due to senior management knowing what they are doing in the current recession.

Advice to Management

We need better phones and pricing on equipment to stay competitive.

3. US Cellular is a place where believing in something better really happens.

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bixby, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bixby, OK

Pros

The customer service is phenomenal. There are always connections with people that most other wireless service providers don't give quite like US Cellular. The management is always on top of things with even the littlest of stores. The service is the best local and nationwide coverage in the US. We have a rewards program for loyal customers. The price plans are cheaper than pretty much everyone else with good coverage. Overall I would recommend the job if you like people and helping them out.

Cons

While the plans are competitive, the phones do not seem to be progressive enough. There aren't that many phones that just jump out at people. The phone prices for new and renewing customers seems a little bit high. There is no international coverage plans and the prepaid system is not that reliable. Signal Insurance is a joke.

Advice to Management

We need to put the cool back into our phones and make better deals with manufacturers to get them made specifically for us. As well as that the company makes a pretty hefty revenue...millions possibly billions, could it really hurt to price our out of date phones more considerably...and without the after easy edge pricing

5. What a great place to work. It has completed my wish of perfect work life balance.

Current Employee - Confidential in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Confidential in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

No layoffs, promotions and raises and bonuses during the recession, flexible work Schedule, Great people, competent leadership, caring leadership, knowledge sharing among peers, they let go slackers and fakes, great network and coverage, lots free lunches!

Cons

Not very good marketing, losing out to competition, poor selection of phones, not upgrading the network fast enough.

Advice to Management

1. Lets move faster. Not enough change and upgrades to stay in competition in the Midwest. 2. Improve marketing to compete with the big three. 3. Keep offering those specials that bring customers to the stores in droves.

6. Work place review

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Iowa City, IA

Pros

Company that actually values honesty and just doing the right thing. Ever changing industry. Management that is not afraid to give praise.

Cons

Not viewed as a professional type job. At times can get stressful because of working with the public and the nature of the business, if someones phone does not work, they can get very upset.

Advice to Management

Management over all does a good job. Some times when there are bad seeds it takes to long to get them removed.

7. Best Places to Work

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Greenville, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Greenville, NC

Pros

I have worked for US Cellular for 5 years. I have been under 6 Sales Managers. While there is many different styles to adapt to, US Cellular has been my best job yet. I worked part time which was about 30 hours a week, some weeks worked 5 days a week, some weeks 4 days a week. Every 3 weeks I had a 3 day weekend. Excellent work life balance. The commissions are way above all the competitors such as Verizon, ATT, etc. I have worked at Alltel beforehand, and my compensation at USCC was double almost what I made at Alltel. US Cellularl is all about the customer, and you are empowered to make many decisions on your own as far as adjustments, goodwill minutes, etc. You are payed generously on new lines, renewals, features, accessorries etc. I made 45K last year PART TIME! They care about their employees, and have a very rich culture. There is many opportunities if you work part time, to work extra hours, which is great, because you still have a pt quota, and you can work full time hours many times. They offer tuition assistance, medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, etc. You get it all whether full time or part time. You make most of your money on commission, not hourly. Leadership will bend over backwards to help you out. I was given time off when i had a few important situations arise. They were always fair to be on the scheduling. I would recommend this job to anyone. Wish I was still there, but I moved to a state US Cellular is not in.

Cons

It is sometimes hard to move up. If you want to be a Sales Manager or Agent Account Executive, there is so many others that want to move up, many times you are overlooked. Or someone with exp is given the job...

Advice to Management

Keep on rocking it out!

8. For what it is, they treat you great

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waukesha, WI

Pros

Everyone working there is incredibly nice and truly cares about you and your success; both at work and at home. For the job (its incredibly easy) you get paid a very decent wage with great benefits.

Cons

Not a whole lot of advancement opportunities if you want to do something outside of sell phones to people. Is a bit cultish.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job fostering a good work environment. Its a call center and I was treated with respect and courtesy.

9. Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Benefits are great. Structured development and feedback Family business feel. Public company but relatively small company feel, which allows you to advance and make your mark if you have the ambition and ability

Cons

Base compensation is probably less than comparable roles at other companies. If you're not a fan of their product and service it may hinder your drive.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Try to get a little further ahead of the curve in new product releases

10. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Lewisburg, WV
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Lewisburg, WV

Pros

US Cellular promotes a wonderful work atmosphere. You are motivated and recognized often when you meet your sales goals. Everyone is on the same page so that you expectations are consistent and you know where there is room for improvement and when you have excelled.

Cons

You may have days where it can be boring do the same thing over and over again. But the training on new equipment, new promotions, and motivational meetings help lift that perception effectively.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Continue to motivate and listen to your team members in response to what consumers are expressing to your sales staff.

11. Positive atmoshere

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Wilmington, NC

Pros

very supportive of carrer developement

Cons

we are not a national company yet. So relocating is limited.

RSS Feed </> Embed