U.S. Cellular Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
Updated October 29, 2014
3.2

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • My work life balance was never any problem in the call center in Tulsa (in 47 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was at times less but ultimately always rewarding (in 48 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Stay AWAY!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time

Pros

Nothing the money is not even that great

Cons

Unreal quota...I heard once upon a time it was a good place of work but I guess I missed out because is a terrible place. Corporate makes it very hard for you to be able to reach your goal the computer system is garbage and the training when you first get hired is irrelevant...I have warned you.

horrible management and coworkers

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Greendale, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Greendale, WI

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent commission. friendly customers. some cool coworkers

Cons

the managers lack communication and have irrelevant priorities. poor commission compared to competitors.

pay more respect to your top sales consultants.

D.O. is B.S.

Current Employee - Service Technician in Greenville, NC
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Greenville, NC

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

none, unless you want to feel like crap constantly. The only nice thing was free cell service, well that is as long as you remain on their network, so if you were to travel forget using it. ok never mind there is no positive items.

Cons

Umm how much time do you have. Name it, ridiculous managers, unreal goals, crappy work life balance, low pay, being forced to work off the clock not getting paid, constant pressure to drink the kool aid, severe hostility, etc, etc, etc

screw you. i want all management to BURN. you sold your soul anyways so that is where you are headed.

Poor leadership increases workload and stress for retail employees

Current Employee - Service Technician/Retail Wireless Consultant
    Current Employee - Service Technician/Retail Wireless Consultant

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, health benefits, and coworkers

Cons

Recent changes affected customers negatively. This made it tough for front line staff to help these customers. Almost no work life balance. As a retail wireless consultant you would be lucky to get more than one weekend off during a month, and it's rare to have two days off consecutively, unless you work part-time. Turnover is higher due to increased stress on the Retail Wireless Consultants. When some one is needed to fill in, vacation time can get cut or moved in order to meet the needs of store(which is fine if you haven't made any plans for your vacation). Huddles on Thursday mornings before the store opens, and sometimes a monthly Sunday meeting means having to come in on your day off to receive information that could have been disseminated one-on-one or via email.

Most of what made U.S. Cellular great, and different from other carriers has been lost. This company is confused. USCC is still trying to hang on to its old ideals and practices(albeit poorly), while making changes that align with all major carriers. "Customer Service" and "Network Quality" were once very important, but cutting almost half of it's network team, almost all cashier greeters, and all service technicians means that everyone will do more with less. I wouldn't bother jumping on this sinking ship unless you are hoping for some sort of buyout pay from a larger carrier.

Sure wish management treated employees as well as they do their customers

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Great training program when you start and the free popcorn is nice too I guess

Cons

That's the last time you'll really feel supported is in training

Keeping jerks around that work there and letting great people go because their children were ill or injured (even terminal in one case) - it's a bunch of crap. Figure out who actually cares to do their job and help USCellular succeed and actually STAND BY the employees who are giving their all to your company.

Previously once great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people I used to work with were great. The technology was good when they bothered to spend the money.

Cons

Management drove company in to the ground. Be lucky if they last 1 year before they close their doors. Pay was substandard for the job. Long hours became common and they preach work life balance. Too bad they do not practice what they preach.

Direct managers nitpick over little things trying to show you who's boss. They have ego complex's and have to try to put you in your place by using the DO against you. When you try to use the DO against management ....watch out your on the short list for being labeled a trouble maker.

Training and praise only mattered to who you were friends with...not how good a job you have done.

Get your head out of your behinds. Wake up your playing in the band and the titanic is sinking. Time to prepare for your next career.

Here are some lines to practice

1. Welcome to walmart
    2. would you like a cart?
    3. Do you want fries with that?
    4. Paper or plastic?
    5. cash or credit?

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MO

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great team in the store. Medical, dental, 401k benefits were aggressive. Close to my home.
    I love technology and enjoyed showcasing how the products can make life and business easy.

Cons

HORRIBLE management and practices. I was misdirected more than once by my leadership, and they NEVER stood up to take responsibility. I was "coached" for being upset. I was encouraged to apply for a marketing role by my manager, who then did not approve my application. He said, "I could have done that better." A member of my team wanted to have an open Start, Stop, Continue for my team to rate me. It was managed incorrectly. Our Associate Relations woman stated, "It could have been done better," yet I was coached for being upset at the way management handled it. I was encouraged to apply for another role in the company that I have years of experience in. I was called arrogant by the interviewer, behind my back. Yet she looked for her Blackberry all during the process. I had a leader ask me about my thoughts in managing another property. I expressed my interest and he said he would follow up with me in two days. He never did. He ignored calls and emails. He flat out hid like a coward. The company aid off more than 1,000 people. Sad. I was coached for "not embracing and navigating change." I was supposed to be happy about the layoffs as we were, as my manager said, "trimming fat."

US Cellular does not place people with valuable experience in leadership. They are all about the "Kool Aid" drinkers. If you ride the Dynamic Organization train, do not have any original ideas of your own, and are a pure "yes' person, this company is for you, until they cut your position.

They are getting smoked by every other company and seem to want to react instead of make a serious plan to compete.

Step outside yourself and look what it takes to be win. Stop the multi-million dollar annual management "junket" and have a webinar. Look for skills and track records of success, not former Red Lobster managers that can't spell. Market your business in a method that works. Outdoor is dying. A left-hand read on the interstate with small print does nothing but waste money. This is why you are dying.

Horrible Company to work for

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Benefits, PTO pay is not bad

Cons

I got corrective action for getting up to use the bathroom outside my lunch and breaks and told in the corrective actions that I needed to control my fluid intake. Calls are. Picked apart and manipulated so most of the time it's impossible to get all yeses on your calls.

for starters I never met the call center director and she never bothered to walk around and say high to anyone but coaches. They blamed us when customers left because of the billing system but we had our hands tied and were told to tell customers that th were still responsible for the bills even though autopay hadn't been taking the money out. The new billing system is so slow and it makes it virtually impossible to get the job done quickly. Training class was awesome but UScellular I ended up working for was not the UScellular I learned about in trainining.

Long-time associate

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

customer service was great and the ability to help customers. empowerment was a great value and was encouraged.

Cons

many changes over the last year, and most not customer or associate focused. positions eliminated that will have more negative feedback for local associates.

local management is not good. no recognition for good work or delivering "world class" customer service. only focus was on what we were not doing well

If you name your decisions based on ethical thinking, this job may not be for you.

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great health benefits and pay.
    Learn how to handle copious amounts of stress.

Cons

Complacent management.
    Non ethical leadership.
    New billing system.
    Unrealistic sales quotas.

Lead your associates by example. Make ethical decisions for your store and don't break the trust barrier. That also means don't hold people accountable for things leaders have suggested to do. This company went from doing things by being focused on the customer, to how many dollars can they stretch out of each person that walks through the door. This used to be a great company to work for, sadly they aren't only bleeding customers they are bleading of all of their exceptional associates.