U.S. Cellular

Updated August 8, 2014
Updated August 8, 2014

3.2

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • It also depends on your own manager if there is any sort of understanding for a work/life balance (in 43 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is difficult in retail stores, especially with somewhat high turnover (in 34 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Manager

Former Employee - Sales Manager  in  Columbia, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Columbia, MO

Pros

I had a great team in the store. Medical, dental, 401k benefits were aggressive. Close to my home.
    I love technology and enjoyed showcasing how the products can make life and business easy.

Cons

HORRIBLE management and practices. I was misdirected more than once by my leadership, and they NEVER stood up to take responsibility. I was "coached" for being upset. I was encouraged to apply for a marketing role by my manager, who then did not approve my application. He said, "I could have done that better." A member of my team wanted to have an open Start, Stop, Continue for my team to rate me. It was managed incorrectly. Our Associate Relations woman stated, "It could have been done better," yet I was coached for being upset at the way management handled it. I was encouraged to apply for another role in the company that I have years of experience in. I was called arrogant by the interviewer, behind my back. Yet she looked for her Blackberry all during the process. I had a leader ask me about my thoughts in managing another property. I expressed my interest and he said he would follow up with me in two days. He never did. He ignored calls and emails. He flat out hid like a coward. The company aid off more than 1,000 people. Sad. I was coached for "not embracing and navigating change." I was supposed to be happy about the layoffs as we were, as my manager said, "trimming fat."

US Cellular does not place people with valuable experience in leadership. They are all about the "Kool Aid" drinkers. If you ride the Dynamic Organization train, do not have any original ideas of your own, and are a pure "yes' person, this company is for you, until they cut your position.

They are getting smoked by every other company and seem to want to react instead of make a serious plan to compete.

Step outside yourself and look what it takes to be win. Stop the multi-million dollar annual management "junket" and have a webinar. Look for skills and track records of success, not former Red Lobster managers that can't spell. Market your business in a method that works. Outdoor is dying. A left-hand read on the interstate with small print does nothing but waste money. This is why you are dying.

Horrible Company to work for

Pros

Benefits, PTO pay is not bad

Cons

I got corrective action for getting up to use the bathroom outside my lunch and breaks and told in the corrective actions that I needed to control my fluid intake. Calls are. Picked apart and manipulated so most of the time it's impossible to get all yeses on your calls.

for starters I never met the call center director and she never bothered to walk around and say high to anyone but coaches. They blamed us when customers left because of the billing system but we had our hands tied and were told to tell customers that th were still responsible for the bills even though autopay hadn't been taking the money out. The new billing system is so slow and it makes it virtually impossible to get the job done quickly. Training class was awesome but UScellular I ended up working for was not the UScellular I learned about in trainining.

Long-time associate

Pros

customer service was great and the ability to help customers. empowerment was a great value and was encouraged.

Cons

many changes over the last year, and most not customer or associate focused. positions eliminated that will have more negative feedback for local associates.

local management is not good. no recognition for good work or delivering "world class" customer service. only focus was on what we were not doing well

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you name your decisions based on ethical thinking, this job may not be for you.

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant

Pros

Great health benefits and pay.
    Learn how to handle copious amounts of stress.

Cons

Complacent management.
    Non ethical leadership.
    New billing system.
    Unrealistic sales quotas.

Lead your associates by example. Make ethical decisions for your store and don't break the trust barrier. That also means don't hold people accountable for things leaders have suggested to do. This company went from doing things by being focused on the customer, to how many dollars can they stretch out of each person that walks through the door. This used to be a great company to work for, sadly they aren't only bleeding customers they are bleading of all of their exceptional associates.

Used to be great, now horrible and going downhill fast

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant

Pros

Met some great people, used to be like a family atmosphere. Used to have wonderful pay and room for growth

Cons

This company is on a downhill skid. They drive (mediocre) results by shoving robotic sales practices down everyone's throat. Now we have to tell customers that to activate ANY PHONE the activation fee will be forty bucks. Used to be a values driven company but now those values have been thrown in the trash. Pay has decreased with ever changing commission structures. Soon they will sell out

Be honest and be real

Not a promising company

Former Employee - National Resolutions  in  East Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - National Resolutions in East Tulsa, OK

Pros

I worked at U.S. Cellular for many years. I was there when Jack Rooney was at the wheel. He was a fantastic man with vision. He make his focus and goals clear and always involved everyone. He cared about his people and what they represented. He made sure everyone knew that they were an important part of U.S. Cellular. Without the people, U.S. Cellular was nothing. He would always say we will get better before we get bigger.

Cons

What a shame! This is more obvious than the Titanic bobbing up and down in the ocean. This is a sinking catastrophe. U.S. Cellular does everything but give away the kitchen sink. It looks bad to give soooooo much credit to crappy products. Your plans are outrageously priced, the phones are crap, and you no longer invest in employees. You'd find out that you would get a lot more out of people if they are treated well and believed in you. I've seen you let people go who were there for 15 years so that you could replace them with cheaper help. Sickening, just sickening. What exactly is your business model now?

Most of you are unqualified, anal, title hungry animals. You don't care about the people, you want your fat paycheck, your benefits, and all of the amenities you can steal. You no longer build the morale of other employees, you act like you're better than everyone below your ranking. Let me tell you, you will go down along with the ship. There will be no floating away, you'll sink to the bottom where you belong. In the meantime stay on the lower deck with the rats, where you belong.

Disorganized and lack of management

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant  in  Medford, OR
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Medford, OR

Pros

Full benefits/ 40 hrs plus paid holidays

Cons

Not being supported by management, short staffed/high turn over. Changed commission structure-work harder and make less.

Create value in your employees, hire competent management

Leaders/Managers stay away from this company

Pros

Training is good for the employees.
    Work life balance is respected.

Cons

Management is more bothered about employees following the company Dynamic Organization culture, rather than deliverables.
    Poor Compensation
    Skill levels of the employees is very low. Company is been run by the consultants.
    Leaders are surveyed by their employees and fired if their score is low. Best of the leaders who want to deliver and discipline low performing employees have been fired due to the employee reciprocating with a low rating in the survey.

Get rid of the D.O culture and surveying leaders. There are many organizations who are doing much better without all this hypocrisy. Respect the leaders who really want to make a difference.

Recent, Terrifying Changes

Former Employee - Retail Area Sales Manager  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Former Employee - Retail Area Sales Manager in Cedar Rapids, IA

Pros

Great benefits, work-life balance (dependent on supervisor), significantly above-average pay for the industry.

Cons

Recent billing changes have left the company hemorrhaging money and customers, and eliminating positions. At the time of this review (May 2014), almost 30% of retail staff has been quietly eliminated through position elimination (techs, greeters, inventory coordinators). Also, at this time, one third of the store manager positions in the state of Iowa are vacant, as the highest paid leaders have been eliminated for fabricated reasons, immediately prior to the pay scale being lowered. U.S. Cellular is trying to hide the fact that they're stalling off bankruptcy, but the bottom is going to burst at any moment.

Call it what it is. It's only a matter of time before the public knows that you're leaning-out the company for a buy-out.

Retail Wireless consultant

Pros

Coverage is great. customer service is doing the best they can to help customers.

Cons

During the whole transition in to tops (a new billing system) instead of customer service helping our customer with the transition they were just letting walk out the back door since they were not in contract. When our company figured that out it was too late and each month we were losing more customers than we were gaining. Right now most of our customer that left our company are tied into 2 year agreements with our competitors. Know about 7 months after the launch of tops our customer service is finally doing their job and helping us keep customers. On top of that the company thinks it's a smart idea by eliminating inventory coordinators service techs and cashier greeters and give more work for the associates, instead of the managers picking up those duties the associates do, they have to take time off the sales floor to do these jobs. Then on top off all this the commission pay structure was re done making associates have to do lot more and half the pay. All the management sugar coats the commission that it's a great thing for the associates but when you crunch the numbers you are making about half for the same job. Unrealistic quotas are being set so these associates can not hit them so they can not get all the commission.

Stop micromanaging your employees.
    Respect the employees that helped with your transition instead of giving them duties that are not in their job description.

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!