U.S. Cellular
www.uscellular.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

U.S. Cellular Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros:
  • "It also depends on your own manager if there is any sort of understanding for a work/life balance"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Employees have great benefits even if you are part time"
    in 65 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is difficult in retail stores, especially with somewhat high turnover"
    in 33 reviews
  • "The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

If you name your decisions based on ethical thinking, this job may not be for you.

Retail Wireless Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat health benefits and pay.
    Learn how to handle copious amounts of stress.

ConsComplacent management.
    Non ethical leadership.
    New billing system.
    Unrealistic sales quotas.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead your associates by example. Make ethical decisions for your store and don't break the trust barrier. That also means don't hold people accountable for things leaders have suggested to do. This company went from doing things by being focused on the customer, to how many dollars can they stretch out of each person that walks through the door. This used to be a great company to work for, sadly they aren't only bleeding customers they are bleading of all of their exceptional associates.

Used to be great, now horrible and going downhill fast

Retail Wireless Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsMet some great people, used to be like a family atmosphere. Used to have wonderful pay and room for growth

ConsThis company is on a downhill skid. They drive (mediocre) results by shoving robotic sales practices down everyone's throat. Now we have to tell customers that to activate ANY PHONE the activation fee will be forty bucks. Used to be a values driven company but now those values have been thrown in the trash. Pay has decreased with ever changing commission structures. Soon they will sell out

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and be real

It was a great experience.

Computer Operator Ll (Current Employee)
    Bensenville, IL

ProsGreat place to learn new things.

ConsIt was a conservative company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

At U.S. Cellular I learned a lot about sales processes, prospecting, gaining referrals and about aggressive sales.

ProsGood benefits, competitive pay. Challenging

ConsFrequent changes, irregular schedule that included weekly meeting/huddles and conference calls that require your attendance even if you're schedule "off". They only time you can miss is if you're sick or you're scheduled as on vacation. Strict quota standards.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the emphasis on the culture that made U.S. Cellular different and so great when Jack Rooney was in charge.

A company culture like this comes along once in a lifetime.

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsThe values and behaviors linked to the culture are alive an well w/in the people there - no matter what geography or function.

ConsCritical limited resources and high expectations can result in added stress. On the up-side the people are wonderful to work with and there is definitely great team work.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of new leaders in the organization since I left so, I guess I would just encourage them to keep the dynamic culture alive and well. It is a differentiator that should be protected and sustained.

Customer Service

Customer Service Coach (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat positive culture. It's like a family.

ConsThere have been many executive leadership changes and it has negatively impacted morale and job security. The elephant in the room is if the company will remain solvent, or be bought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency. Develop a strategy and stick with it.

Not a promising company

National Resolutions (Former Employee)
    East Tulsa, OK

ProsI worked at U.S. Cellular for many years. I was there when Jack Rooney was at the wheel. He was a fantastic man with vision. He make his focus and goals clear and always involved everyone. He cared about his people and what they represented. He made sure everyone knew that they were an important part of U.S. Cellular. Without the people, U.S. Cellular was nothing. He would always say we will get better before we get bigger.

ConsWhat a shame! This is more obvious than the Titanic bobbing up and down in the ocean. This is a sinking catastrophe. U.S. Cellular does everything but give away the kitchen sink. It looks bad to give soooooo much credit to crappy products. Your plans are outrageously priced, the phones are crap, and you no longer invest in employees. You'd find out that you would get a lot more out of people if they are treated well and believed in you. I've seen you let people go who were there for 15 years so that you could replace them with cheaper help. Sickening, just sickening. What exactly is your business model now?

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of you are unqualified, anal, title hungry animals. You don't care about the people, you want your fat paycheck, your benefits, and all of the amenities you can steal. You no longer build the morale of other employees, you act like you're better than everyone below your ranking. Let me tell you, you will go down along with the ship. There will be no floating away, you'll sink to the bottom where you belong. In the meantime stay on the lower deck with the rats, where you belong.

Downhill Ride

Special Projects (Former Employee)
    Tulsa, OK

ProsBenefits, past culture vs. current, overall pleasant co-workers(peers)

ConsTo small to compete, and not much opportunity to advance, especially if you are more educated and have more experience than the mediocre home grown managers. Management at mid level doesn't handle authority or competition. Upper management is treading water. Work environment favorably resembles house arrest.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in or get out. Find some capital to grow the company, or clean it up, increase earnings and sell what is currently left. The Carlson's can afford tax counsel, and need to look at all ,options. Competitors spend more in a quarter on advertising than USCC grosses annually. Good people on the front lines are worn out with second and third rate equipment and technical assets, but are expected to perform as if they were fully supported. Back stabbing is not attractive, nor a good way to run a company.

Used to be the best place in the world to work

Sales Manager (Current Employee)
    Medford, OR

ProsFair compensation. Excellent benefits. The company is generally full of great people who really do care about the customer. The company demands ethical behavior.

ConsUpper management has shifted away from having an employee focus to having a results only focus. Too many really good people are getting lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back down to basics and quit trying to be Verizon.

Disorganized and lack of management

Medford, OR

ProsFull benefits/ 40 hrs plus paid holidays

ConsNot being supported by management, short staffed/high turn over. Changed commission structure-work harder and make less.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate value in your employees, hire competent management

Worked for U.S. Cellular? Contribute to the Community!

U.S. Cellular Videos

U.S. Cellular – Why Work for Us?

With over five million customers in 26 states, U.S. Cellular is one of the largest wireless service carriers in the nation. We owe every bit of success to our associates—people with a real passion for their work who are… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Cellular reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U.S. Cellular CEO Kenneth R. Meyers. All 511 reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Cellular employees.