U.S. Cellular

www.uscellular.com
Employer Engaged

Customer service

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

No dress code, great benefits, many choices of shifts for hours

Cons

Standards matter on the supervisior, what one person may see as management possibly someone else could say they need to be fired.

Better training of coaches needed and no pushing other departments jobs on everyone

A Stepping Stone

Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a good structure in theory with the "dynamic organization" etc. They offer tuition assistance and do pay well...if you happened to work in a busy location. The hours can be flexible to an extent to work around school/other obligations. U.S Cellular did prefer to promote from within which is always a plus. U.S Cellular really stepped up when giving severance packages/support to employees that were displaced to market closures.

Cons

While the structure may be ideal...the consistency is not. I had many great managers and several others that were just plain terrible. Sometimes we all wondered how several were even given the positions they were in? I noticed that the best managers were those promoted from within.

Pay differs tremendously between locations. While this is true for almost any commissioned sales position out there, the company attempted to balance things out without success. Stores within miles of each other would see huge differences in traffic and overall employee compensation. I worked for a busy location so I was well compensated, but I felt sorry for those who were in the "dead" locations. The company lost a lot of talented people at some slower locations due to lack of business/commission. Some would barely make more than the $9-$11 standard hourly while others at the busier locations made $25/hr+.

U.S Cellular was always a step behind in technology/products compared to other wireless carriers. This has hurt the company tremendously as I am sure they realize. They have just recently attempted to catch up in recent years but still aren't where they need to be to be competitive. I believe this issue caused the closure of markets. It is hard to compete when you don't offer the newest technology available...no matter what anyone says. From a consumer standpoint people are attracted to the newest/best products available and will sacrifice service/etc to get those things.

Consistency in Management
    Focus on the newest technology available.

great company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

environment is great and the pay was good.

Cons

retail hours are always a con.

Amazing culture, great pay, and a lot of opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Manager in Concord, NH

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is led by strong senior leaders with a focus on amazing company culture equating to great customer service and strong end results.

Cons

Requires a lot of flexibility to be in the wireless industry. The only thing that is constant is that it will be constantly changing.

Stayed focused on business results while maintaining a presence on the front line .

Expansive experience on various exciting projects.

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time

Pros

Good culture, incredibly hard working team members. Majority of folks you work with are top notch and respect diverse opinions and working styles. Great direct leadership over the years, open to hearing others ideas and coaching and feedback was a big plus. Learned a great deat at this great company.

Cons

Tough industry. Senior leaders have a difficult time staying ahead or differentiating from the big dogs in wireless, creating varying levels of frustration among the ranks. Communication from the top used to be a Pro, but over the last couple of years has eroded in both quanity and quality of open and informative communication.

Do not take your hard working teams for granted, keep them informed through honest and frequent communication.

This was a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Waukesha, WI

I worked at U.S. Cellular part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture was great! There was really good training to prepare you to do your job. The coach gave a lot of helpful advice to stay on your target. Always someone kind to turn to with questions.

Cons

I did not like the hours, I worked second shift and eventually those hours were not convenient for me.

Its Okay

Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Retail Wireless Consultant in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good, you get to work with some good technology, and the free cell phone service is also an added bonus.

Cons

U.S. Cellular has a VERY poor and failing system, it never works and is extremely slow, which leads to frustrated customers. In my 8+ months with the company, I have yet to have a smooth transaction where the system works as it is suppose to- you are always on the phone with tech and the system also messes bills up daily. They give RWC's very little power on certain functions of the job, and we are constantly resorting to calling customer support or going to our leader. Your schedule changes all the time on absolutely no notice and you are forced to follow it.

Admit your system failed and fix it or get a different one, give us more power to do our jobs, stop re-adjusting the commission structure to trends so that we make less money.

Corp Headquarters: Don't ignore what you've heard.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Interesting work, good SAP customizations, nice office, good opportunity to learn about financial analysis for tech, reasonable work hours, garage parking (great for winter), good pay.

Cons

Research the turnover rate at the Chicago office. There's a reason for it. Are you aware that US Cellular sold part of its customer base (Chicagoland) to Sprint in 2012-2013 and had to downsize its staff. US Cellular is facing tough competition from much larger industry players. The downsizing reminds me a bit of the TV series "Survivor", and likely had a similar impact on company culture. When a once growing company starts to decline.. and as the future becomes uncertain.. the impact on interpersonal relationships in an office can breed dysfunction.. Do your research when considering this option.

They do not promote from within the company

Current Employee - Network Field Engineer in Central City, IA
    Current Employee - Network Field Engineer in Central City, IA

I have been working at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Benefits, free smartphone, work on your own

Cons

They are great at telling you to go to school and better yourself and we will promote you. They never follow through on their word. Very political company and they like to keep you guessing.

Keep your word and treat us like humans.

Started out great, but the luster is wearing off quickly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Convenient access to HQ if you live in or around the north Chicago Suburbs.
    A fair work/life balance if you are on the right team.

Cons

A horrible work/life balance depending on the team.
    Some teams are a revolving door of new hires that quickly leave after dealing with certain managers/directors.
    The longer you are with the company the more you will question how certain individuals continually get promoted for less than average work.
    A lot of trumpeting success and hiding failures, to the point of broken processes going unfixed for months to years.

Managers in all aspects of the business need to be held accountable for metrics they affect, not just what they are measured on.
    The culture survey is a big part of the company, make it feel like it actually means something. Middle management often "talk" about the results, but slump right back into business as usual a week or two after the readout.