U.S. Cellular

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
3.5

Kenneth R. Meyers

Pros
  • My work life balance was never any problem in the call center in Tulsa (in 48 reviews)

• Employees have great benefits even if you are part time (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance was at times less but ultimately always rewarding (in 50 reviews)

• The new billing system has caused a conflict in so many areas it is really sad (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

19 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

I loved working there

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits..Great Bonuses.... extra Perks... Yearly Raises.... No Hassles

Cons

Some of the Managers Micro Manage,

Make sure you know the Labor Laws and follow the FMLA GUIDELINES... take in consideration if employee finds out short of benefits and they drive into work while on a medication that they are not to operate machinery to keep their job you dont pressure the supervisor to fire them....

A good "job" when you need one

I worked at U.S. Cellular

Pros

Good benefits and PTO. They try to stay customer focused. Their DO culture is awesome if you can get on a team that actually takes it to heart and "lives it". There's a bonus structure in place that is pretty good. The people are generally nice and there's very little drama.

Cons

They make it hard to move up, or even around horizontally, in the company. There are long interview processes for each different position, regardless of the fact that you're already and employee. The interview questions are scripted and they give very little value to your experience/skill level. It can take several weeks, even months to secure a different position within the company. Faster to just find another job elsewhere.

Live the culture so that your team members will. There's a lot of leaders there that really have an "I don't care" attitude and it makes it hard for the little guy to care.

Learned to successfully lead, coach, develop, and drive the bottom line of the company.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Owasso, OK
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Owasso, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay. Dynamic place to work. Empowerment to grow and develop others while driving business results.

Cons

Work life balance was at times less but ultimately always rewarding.

Continue to uphold the values and behaviors the company was built upon

I STILL consider this one of the best Corp. cultures I have worked in.

Former Employee - Resolutions Specialist in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Resolutions Specialist in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, fast paced but still fun. I got recognition and a decent promotion after a year as a call rep. MOST of the coaches were awesome. I had always been personable and good in any service job but they invest in their peeps and you improve and get the recognition you deserve. I had great trainers also. I kinda miss them sometimes! My work life balance was never any problem in the call center in Tulsa. The Corp events are awesome too.

Cons

I experienced a case of REVERSE discrimination from my Sup. and the upper bosses were too intimidated to address it. The CEO takes open door policy VERY seriously and walks his talk but you know, once you make that wave there's no going back with managers. I was treated by middle management like I was the problem for speaking up. If it wasn't for such a drastic situation I still feel I would be there. I was very happy before that. No idea what it's like since Jay & Jack retired but THEY ROCKED

I have been gone long enough that I have no comment. I imagine the comments from workers has changed since the changing of the guard. I'd look for commonalities and disparities after 2009/2010. The top 2 had our undying loyalty every day all day. Emulate them.

Downhill Ride

Former Employee - Special Projects in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Special Projects in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, past culture vs. current, overall pleasant co-workers(peers)

Cons

To small to compete, and not much opportunity to advance, especially if you are more educated and have more experience than the mediocre home grown managers. Management at mid level doesn't handle authority or competition. Upper management is treading water. Work environment favorably resembles house arrest.

Get in or get out. Find some capital to grow the company, or clean it up, increase earnings and sell what is currently left. The Carlson's can afford tax counsel, and need to look at all ,options. Competitors spend more in a quarter on advertising than USCC grosses annually. Good people on the front lines are worn out with second and third rate equipment and technical assets, but are expected to perform as if they were fully supported. Back stabbing is not attractive, nor a good way to run a company.

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Consultant in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of easy commission as long as you are an aggressive seller.

Cons

Crazy hours. Employees would get schedule to work seven days in a row then get one day off then be scheduled to work another five days before another day off. Blocked holidays so no vacations from Thanksgiving until after New Year.

Learn how to schedule your employees.

Call center Supervisor

Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Tulsa, OK

I worked at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Best leadership training ever! They use to spend so much on traning new leaders and making sure they were the best in the industry.

Cons

Company Leadership is so full of themselves! No Matter how talented you may be or how many degrees you may have, someone who barely have a GED may be your boss because he or she knows how to run the politics. Wages are not good compare to the industry average

Open your eyes and stop being political! Reward people for their worth and not because you like them.

A lot like war.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Steady income, great benefits and a friendly atmosphere in the actual office.

Cons

Extremely depressing and frustrating. I knew a lot of people on anti-depressants. 5 hours a day with people screaming at you and your tools do not work. Also, the first 90 days is extremely sick. They create an atmosphere where new workers are encouraged to come to work sick or lose their jobs.

Management was ok, but corporate needs to get their stuff together. One hand doesn't know what the other is doing. There's a severe lack of cohesiveness.

Learn leadership

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some good opportunity within the company

Cons

But it depends on who you are .

None at this time

good job

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at U.S. Cellular full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good place to grow and develop.

Cons

too many recent changes, layoffs, new systems.

stand up for what you think is right don't just go with the flow.