U.S. Commercial Service

International Trade Intern

Former Employee - International Trade Intern in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - International Trade Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at U.S. Commercial Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Vast resources for research; opportunities to excel in your chosen interests; excellent networking; Culture is entirely yours to develop during your time there.

Cons

Not a helpful environment for people without initiative and self-motivation. Unpaid internships only.

None- the management do an excellent job involving the interns in all parts of the department and exposing them to all possible opportunities.

Intern: No valuable or educational assignments, disrespectful and condescending treatment, uncomfortable culture

I worked at U.S. Commercial Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Interning here was an enlightening experience, though not in the way it was intended.

Cons

Interns are not offered valuable work even when requested, asking questions is looked down upon, employees made fun of me to my face and frequently rolled their eyes at me when I spoke to them, etc. The severity of the situation was hopefully unique to the office I was at, but employees at other locations frequently referred to me and other interns as "the intern" rather than by name and it seemed that most thought of interns as disposable free secretaries rather than potential future employees in training.

Good place to work.

I have been working at U.S. Commercial Service full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challening work, lots of contacts, the name helps open doors.

Cons

No career progression for local staff.

International Trade Assistant

Former Employee - International Trade Assistant/Intern in Newport Beach, CA
    Former Employee - International Trade Assistant/Intern in Newport Beach, CA

I worked at U.S. Commercial Service part-time (more than an year)

Pros

This positions gives the intern first hand experience of international trade compliance, export preparation, international buyer and trade events as well as other important aspects of international business.

Cons

Interns can only be compensated with academic credit. This makes it difficult for students seeking work for financial reasons.

helpful experience

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at U.S. Commercial Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

there is always more to learn and more to do if you are ambitious and actually trying to learn

Cons

you'll get to learn a little bit of everything but as an intern, it is difficult to scrape beyond the surface due to red tape and security measures

Great place to gain experience while obtaining an education at a higher learning institution.

I have been working at U.S. Commercial Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The people are great. Make you feel part of the team even though you are an intern. I could really see the collaboration between the domestic offices and the international offices and how well they work together. This was a great opportunity.

Cons

Unpaid internship. It is hard to devote a large amount of your time knowing that it is unpaid. As a intern there were no real opportunities to join the department (due to various reasons).

Start a program to help interns get paid.

Great opportunity to gain practical experience in Market research and trade promotion

Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Intern in Miami, FL

I have been working at U.S. Commercial Service as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Network and meet a lot of professionals in the International Trade Arena.

Cons

Interns that know spanish are better equipped

could be an interesting job, but lack of resources makes it hard to do your job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at U.S. Commercial Service full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

very good life balance. colleagues are very dedicated and willing to work together.

Cons

always suffering from limited resources (personnel, training, supplies). boring work after awhile, no room for growth.

be more transparent with decisions and information

The U.S. Commercial Service in Irvine works with colleagues from our overseas embassies to increase U.S. Exports

Current Employee - International Trade Assistant/Intern in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - International Trade Assistant/Intern in Irvine, CA

I have been working at U.S. Commercial Service part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Many career opportunities with valuable experience to be gained as well.

Cons

Internship positions are considered to be volunteer positions, therefore they receive no salary

Great portfolio development

Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at U.S. Commercial Service

Pros

Great market research opportunities, especially a chance to develop a market specialty in a country (mine was in China and that opens many door to gov. jobs). I got to work woth many dofferent clients who wanted to export to international markets.

Great atmosphere to connect with colleagues and senior staff members, and the opportunity to plan and participate in a major business conference.

Cons

Sometimes the research is boring if you're not interested in the project.

Interns dont like to be called interns. We prefer colleagues.