U.S. Commercial Service

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Good place to work.

ProsChallening work, lots of contacts, the name helps open doors.

ConsNo career progression for local staff.

International Trade Assistant

International Trade Assistant/Intern (Former Employee) Newport Beach, CA

ProsThis positions gives the intern first hand experience of international trade compliance, export preparation, international buyer and trade events as well as other important aspects of international business.

ConsInterns can only be compensated with academic credit. This makes it difficult for students seeking work for financial reasons.

helpful experience

Intern (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

Prosthere is always more to learn and more to do if you are ambitious and actually trying to learn

Consyou'll get to learn a little bit of everything but as an intern, it is difficult to scrape beyond the surface due to red tape and security measures

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to gain experience while obtaining an education at a higher learning institution.

ProsThe people are great. Make you feel part of the team even though you are an intern. I could really see the collaboration between the domestic offices and the international offices and how well they work together. This was a great opportunity.

ConsUnpaid internship. It is hard to devote a large amount of your time knowing that it is unpaid. As a intern there were no real opportunities to join the department (due to various reasons).

Advice to Senior ManagementStart a program to help interns get paid.

Great opportunity to gain practical experience in Market research and trade promotion

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL

ProsNetwork and meet a lot of professionals in the International Trade Arena.

ConsInterns that know spanish are better equipped

could be an interesting job, but lack of resources makes it hard to do your job

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Prosvery good life balance. colleagues are very dedicated and willing to work together.

Consalways suffering from limited resources (personnel, training, supplies). boring work after awhile, no room for growth.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more transparent with decisions and information

The U.S. Commercial Service in Irvine works with colleagues from our overseas embassies to increase U.S. Exports

International Trade Assistant/Intern (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

ProsMany career opportunities with valuable experience to be gained as well.

ConsInternship positions are considered to be volunteer positions, therefore they receive no salary

Great portfolio development

Intern (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsGreat market research opportunities, especially a chance to develop a market specialty in a country (mine was in China and that opens many door to gov. jobs). I got to work woth many dofferent clients who wanted to export to international markets.

Great atmosphere to connect with colleagues and senior staff members, and the opportunity to plan and participate in a major business conference.

ConsSometimes the research is boring if you're not interested in the project.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns dont like to be called interns. We prefer colleagues.

Internship

Intern (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood resume builder if you want to work for the Federal Government in the future.

ConsI received basically no useful training or skills. I also learned very little about what a full time position with the Commercial Service would entail. 99% of the work the interns did was data entry and pointless work that they tried to make up just so that we had something to do with our time.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more challenging and/or interesting tasks for you interns to complete.

Good experience but lots of cold calling

Intern (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsWorked as an intern: I learned a lot about different market sectors, business climate and really developed my research skills. I liked the ability to help businesses do better.

ConsLots of cold calling involved to increase business contacts for events

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish they would listen to feedback more

Worked for U.S. Commercial Service? Contribute to the Community!