U.S. Concrete

William J. (Bill) Sandbrook

Challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Manager in Euless, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Euless, TX

I have been working at U.S. Concrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

For a company in the construction industry it is very advanced and always forward looking. The people are great, a family away from home. The employees have complete control over what they do and how they do it - a very empowering environment.

Cons

Challenges only, no cons. It is a lean, flat organization structure so work isn't spread out, and there are not people in upper management doing nothing while the lower-end does all the work. There is accountability here and everyone takes pride in their work.

Keep up the support of employee functions and continue to praise the hard work.

Empty Promises

Former Employee - Information Technology in Euless, TX
    Former Employee - Information Technology in Euless, TX

I worked at U.S. Concrete full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees are friendly. Catered food. Company Outings.

Cons

Promises are made but are not kept by management even if it is on a written document. Your manager will not have your back. Poor communication from manager and co-workers. Told what you want to hear in the interview but that is not the case when you start working there.

Keep your promises. If you have a written agreement follow through on your promise when the employee has completed his/her part of the agreement. Keep everyone in the loop on what's going on in the company/department, especially when something is going to come up and it will have to involve them.

Worst company culture I have ever seen by far

I worked at U.S. Concrete full-time

Pros

Nothing in my opinion unfortunately

Cons

Read the rest of the reviews and it's easy to figure out the real issue with this company. It is a bad culture period.
    No clear goals only finger pointing and back stabbing.

Avoid working here at all costs!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euless, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Euless, TX

I worked at U.S. Concrete full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They gave me a $50 gift certificate at Christmas and a shirt with the company logo.

Cons

One of the worst corporate cultures I've encountered in the last 17-years, for a variety of reasons, including:
    * Systematic blame-storming, finger-pointing and throwing employees under-the-bus
    * Working environment in the corporate headquarters rife with cursing, yelling, intimidation and threats
    * Zero transparency in decision-making. Management issues directives beyond the realm of common sense, or contradicts decisions made the day before
    * Internal operational processes that are either non-existent or highly inefficient
    * Autocratic & inflexible policies enforced by senior management. Heaven forbid that you ever get sick or pregnant
    * Neurotic obsession with control & creating a sense of fear among employees. For example they will monitor the times that salaried employees badge into the building, which being completely oblivious to status and road-blocks on major projects.
    * Below industry average salaries for professional employees

Curb constant turn-over in the IT department by appointing senior leadership that actually cares about employees rather than being completely absorbed in their own overwhelming sense of self-importance, which is the situation currently. Maintain adequate staffing levels rather than being concerned with minimizing variable costs by forcing fewer people to do more than is really reasonable for people who don't live in a third-world country.

Friendly and helpful work environment

Former Intern - Legal Intern in Euless, TX
    Former Intern - Legal Intern in Euless, TX

I worked at U.S. Concrete as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

I only had an hourly job here, as I was an intern, but they pay both their employees and interns very well.

Cons

Some of the tasks were unstructured.

This company has a bad culture

I worked at U.S. Concrete

Pros

Things used to be better with the last CEO and before moving to Dallas

Cons

I have never seen such a bad culture and lack of transparency. A lot of finger pointing and back stabbing.

Bad place to work

I worked at U.S. Concrete

Pros

Great place to gain experience. Employees are generally nice and most take pride in their work. The company has potential if management improves.

Cons

Poor company culture. Employees are expected to perform multiple jobs and work 60 hours a week. Employee reviews are based on goals set at the beginning of the year. If you job has changed or forces beyond your control prevent you from completing you goals you will get a negative rating.

Take better care of your employees by allowing them to maintain a healthy work/family balance.

Not the best place to work

I worked at U.S. Concrete

Pros

built some experience working on different projects

Cons

Bad company culture, no transparency as well as fair evaluation. Expectations are not also clear.

US Concrete is an ok place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at U.S. Concrete

Pros

employees are nice to work with

Cons

not much investment in developing employees or career paths or room for growth

inform employees of the vision of the company

U.S. Concrete is great, but Central Concrete Supply Co, Inc. needs a lot of work to get a good review!

Current Employee - Just A Number In Human Resources in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Just A Number In Human Resources in San Jose, CA

I have been working at U.S. Concrete

Pros

I think that U.S. Concrete is a great place to work due to the fact that they have so many companies throughout the U.S. which translates to an easier potential for transfers into better positions.

Cons

The Northern California aquisition, Central Concrete Supply Co, Inc. does not seem to run like U.S. Concrete. Central Concrete shows NO value in their employess. Please see the review for Central Concrete Supply Co, Inc.

Really analyze management in your aquisitions to ensure employee satisfaction is above par. Happy employees translate to a successful business!