U.S. General Services Administration Reviews

Reset
3.2
U.S. General Services Administration Acting Administrator Daniel M. Tangherlini
Daniel M. Tangherlini

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is exceptional in today's environment (in 18 reviews)

• Teleworking, New technology initiatives, Flexible work hours (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Not as in tune with private-sector business principles as one would hope (in 4 reviews)

• It's the federal government so there is quite a bit of red tape and slow movement (in 4 reviews)

1. Happiest place on earth

Pros

Friendly coworkers flexible work schedule lots of job security and option to telework

Cons

Lack of promotion potential as most higher level jobs are not in Los Angeles

2. Technology Stewards of the Givernment

Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. General Services Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Many different offices and divisions that focus on every different aspect of government needs from fleet to IT acquisitions and management. Great place if you are not quite sure what you want to do.

Cons

Typical government work hard to make any big changes unless you are upper management

3. HR Analyst

Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Human Resources Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. General Services Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid work environment with great benefits.

Cons

Upward mobility is somewhat hampered at the senior level.

Advice to Management

Provide sufficient training to the staff.

5. Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management and Program Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

GSA offers a great working environment that leads to becoming a better employee, and offers a great work-life balance as well. GSA is constantly striving to be the most innovative government agency.

Cons

I can't think of too many cons at this point. It has the regular cons you would associate with a government job.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what is making the agency successful. GSA is a great place to work!

6. Good prospect for future fed government employment

Former Employee - Legal Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at U.S. General Services Administration (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment and good senior management. Superb colleagues. If you would like to work for the federal government in the future, there is no better solution than first landing an internship position. Following my internship I kept receiving emails from my former colleagues about openings within their division and it is only common sense that they would prefer a former intern over anyone else.

Cons

Internship during the semester is unpaid.

7. Good place to work, but needs greater focus on promotion form entry level positions.

Current Employee - Realty Technician in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Realty Technician in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Good place to work, and a great agency to consider if you're a recent graduate and/or veteran. Availability of telework is a major plus.

Cons

Given the focus on their intern program hiring, many employees who take entry level administrative positions with GSA may be frustrated by the lack of internal promotion opportunities outside of the administrative realm available to them.

Advice to Management

Standardize administrative training programs, and create clear channels for individuals to grown and advance outside of the administrative role.

Management is awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at U.S. General Services Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, several schedules to choose from.

Cons

No trust. Management is completely blind to what worker bees are going through. No morale boosters whatsoever. Zero advancement opportunity.

Advice to Management

Trust your people more and stop trying to micromanage them into the ground. Get a clue.

9. Good place to work

I have been working at U.S. General Services Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great mission and great people

Cons

sr. leadership is more interested in themselves than the staff

Only for those who want money for nothing

I have been working at U.S. General Services Administration full-time

Pros

telework, stability, regular pay check

Cons

terrible, bullying political management. seems to have gotten worse since the conference scandal, not better. the scandal was completely unrelated to conferences, training and travel. conferences, training, and travel are necessary for us to do our jobs. the scandal was about lies and thievery and the complete and total failure of the bureaucracy to hold a 15 accountable for anything whatsoever. was that addressed? not in the slightest. innocents were prevented from doing their jobs. untouchable GS-15s continued to lie. can't say I feel sorry for Martha when she had evidence of lies and thievery and told congress she did not have the discretion to mark him down on appas.

Advice to Management

more than half of the people in management should have never, ever been selected. it shocks us around the water cooler to see the people who are promoted. most of us would love to see talented, good, fair people in management positions. we know that is not what's going on.

Okay place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at U.S. General Services Administration part-time

Pros

Benefits, paid time off, Tele work, holidays, nice welcoming employees for the most part.

Cons

Alot of work, hard to get info from established workers, some times had to go to multiple people to find and answer.

RSS Feed </> Embed