U.S. General Services Administration

U.S. General Services Administration Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

U.S. General Services Administration Acting Administrator Daniel M. Tangherlini

Daniel M. Tangherlini

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is exceptional in today's environment(in 17 reviews)

• Teleworking, New technology initiatives, Flexible work hours(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Not as in tune with private-sector business principles as one would hope(in 4 reviews)

• Many times the Central Office sends out changes without advance notification and not well communicated(in 3 reviews)

Great Growth Opportunity

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThey provide a great work life balance. Very forward thinking with programs like telework. Talent is recognized quickly and opportunities are there to move up in your career. Challenging assignments are given early in your career. Success at these assignments often defines your career.

ConsStill difficult to remove poor performers. They often contribute to morale challenges throughout due to inequity of work assignments. Shrinking resources have presented new challenges.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue bringing in fresh talent, before the old talent leaves.

Great

Senior Database Administrator (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsI love the culture at GSA. Employees are treated with respect. The upper management is great. They practice an open door policy. Any employee can approach them anytime for any suggestions or concerns. GSA is committed to quality.

ConsHonestly I don't see anything negative to say about GSA. During my tenure at GSA I always felt like being a valuable asset to the agency.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinued emprovement

Good Place to Work

IT Specialist (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThey support telework, life/work balance and training.

ConsChanging leadership, an otherwise obscure agency as far as the general public is concerned GSA was brought to attention due to scandals resulting from Las Vegas conferences. The overall mood in the agency changed and a lot of needed travel was disapproved.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Contracting Office (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsFor a government installation, it is more like a fortune 500 company. Not as much red tape.

ConsStill needs to be more opportunities available for promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities for individuals seeking advancement.

Regular Government Job

Program Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Proswork life balance is good with compressed schedule, leave, and benefits. Interesting work.

ConsTypical government drone job - little opportunity for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture is negative, promotions are not always merit based. Training from the inside does not keep us up to speed on the industry.

Welcome to the Hamster Wheel

Realty Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Work life balance
    -Great place to work if you want to pursue other opportunities while not having to quit your day job. The work is simple enough that you can dedicate just 5% of your brain to it, and not suffer any noticeable drop in your performance.

Cons-Nepotism runs very deep. Having the right surname will get you far.

-Promotions are doled out to people who have the right friends which leads to having completely unqualified people in decision making positions.

-Zero accountability for tenured employees. Think bringing someone's supervisor into a dispute will get things solved? Fat chance because the supervisor usually doesn't have a clue whats going on either. So trying to solve a problem ends up getting you in trouble for 'impeding' work flow i.e. just shut up, stop complaining about the lack of help you get from people you depend on to do your job and just do their job for them.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because someone looks nice in a suit does not mean they are fit to lead or make decisions.

ePM Regional Systems Administrator

EPM Regional Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsExcellent training capabilities and professional work environment.

ConsTypical government slowness and management is too politically correct.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome more like the competitive commercial industries and eliminate stratification of personnel who don't perform timely work.

An awesome experience in the business of government!!!

Contract Specialist (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGSA is very family friendly... and promotes a professional environment in the work place. I have been with GSA (two different Regions) for a total of 8 years now...I worked prior for DoD and other Federal Agencies, I have over 25 years of government experience, I have found that GSA is about serving the American tax payer and promoting excellence in Acquisitions. If you have family issues, they give you time away (various type of Leave Programs) to help you do what you need to do....the culture is positive and I have worked for some great supervisors...if you give 100% and work hard, you can expect 110% back in support. GSA is a great place to work and I would recommend the organization to all my family and friends.

ConsThere are challenges in all jobs ....you just have to rise to the occasion, view them as opportunities to excel and be positive knowing you have a team of professional to help you overcome the obstacles... I have found that if you keep a positive attitude and a good spirit, plus work as a team, you can get any "Cons" to be "Pros" and the job done! No one will be efficient and effective in this Organization if you can't work with others...You have realize its not personal but its about the process when you hit Cons...to be able to work with others, and where some don't like it and others think its a management problem, it's not that but rather its about "accountability." As an 1102 (Contracting Officer/Contract Specialist) you appreciate the peer review and MARS Inspections and constructive criticism...all Cons can be overcome with the right attitude!! Even promotions (for an example) can be had up into the 'top 3' level if you work hard, get your degree (minimum Bachelors) and be patient, you time and your turn will come!!! No one can hold you back but you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople are your most valuable asset....always show an interest in people. Take a few minutes every day, to say a kind work, hello or good morning when you arrive, walk around and let employees know you appreciate them and what they do, show interest in the births of a new child or congratulate a new marriages...all it takes is 2-3 minutes to send them an email or visit their cubical and speak a kind word.... I assure you when people know that you care about them, they will go out their way to care about the success of the mission and team spirit will grown powerful and positive. When they know you have their back...they will go to any lengths to support the organization in a positive way with family and friends. Finally, Dan Tangherlini has an awesome team that surrounds him, they help him succeed and therefore the whole Organization succeeds... I have personally witnessed that and since he has taken the helm of leadership, GSA's negative image is getting better, day by day, especially with the new goals and vision!!! It's a journey ... let's enjoy it together!!!

Great Place to Start Career or Last Hoorah Before Retirement

ProsFlexible Work Schedules
    Family-Oriented
    Great Benefits

ConsMorale is Stale
    Promotions are few

Awesome

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsTelework policy, benefits and the culture is great

ConsInteracting with agencies outside of GSA is frustrating

Worked for U.S. General Services Administration? Contribute to the Community!