U.S. Genomics

U.S. Genomics Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

John J. Canepa

Not a job for the soft-hearted

Scientist (Former Employee)
    Woburn, MA

ProsGood starting salaries for a variety of positions. Benefits are average but they offer good medical and dental services. Job positions are challenging, always on your toes. Must be smart and think ahead.

ConsWhen I first joined, I liked and respected what USG potentially had to offer to the scientific community. I was disappointed as the months went on though. There is an extremely poor work/life balance. Looking back, I would NEVER recommend this job to someone who has children they must look after as this job has poor "core" hours. You have a lucky job if you can leave at 5 or 6 in the afternoon. Most do not. The projects are extremely challenging and though this may be nice sometimes, there is high discontent here as simple issues takes days or weeks to be resolved. I also got the impression many people are hard to just basically get along with in the workplace. Behind the scenes, there is a gossip mill and backstabbing between research associates, though this has slightly improved this past year with newer hires. I have also noticed this workplace has a lot more cliques than other places which basically degrades the morale of the workplace in general as these cliques are not for the best of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Management is part of the problem at USG. John Canepa finally got it and stopped the company on some levels this past year to solve the numerous problems here, whether they are social or economical which is a nice start. But, do you actually have plans to take this company anywhere? There is a lack of communication between management and the regular scientists, except for the "favored" few scientists. Perhaps you do not know Canepa but it is obvious to the rest of us, as some of the senior scientists blatently steal credit from their staffers and management supports this? Keep the company going the way it is going and let the rest of us scientists in other workplaces do the real work to help save lives.

U.S. Genomics is a great place to work!

Woburn, MA

ProsWorking at U.S. Genomics gives me a sense of personal accomplishment. As a small company everyone contributes directly to our ultimate goal of a biodefense and human diagnostic product - definitely cutting edge science!! We each have the opportunity to contribute to something that will make our world a safer and healthier place to live.

ConsMy workload is manageable and dominated by time sensitive tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have a good understanding of how our we are doing financially.

Worked for U.S. Genomics? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Genomics reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for U.S. Genomics CEO John J. Canepa. All reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Genomics employees.