U.S. Office of Personnel Management
www.opm.gov Washington, DC 1000 to 5000 Employees

U.S. Office of Personnel Management Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Calm cool and collective environment

Assessment Support Administrator (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsSalary and yearly raise, medical benefits, opportunity for advancement. There are sites with free course to help with advancement. You can also take college courses that are in relation to your work that would be paid for.

ConsDepts can be phased out if there is no longer a need and not all employees are able to move to another position

Satisfying Work - No strategic or innovative thinking

ProsSteady employment, steady salary, steady benefits. For the most part colleagues are excited about the mission and work really hard every day.

ConsLack of strategic thinking and innovation from leadership team. For instance we are years behind in technology as compared to other agencies. Most employees who require cell phones for the job are still issued flip phones with no internet or text capability or functionality. The laptops they issue are old and refurbished. The IT department secures enough at a 1:1 ratio so when a laptop, printer, cell phone, GPS goes down, there is usually no way to quickly replace the broken piece of equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management should learn to communicate effectively with rank-and-file. Certain leaders in the organization believe knowledge is power - literally. They believe the rest of the adults in the organization are "protected" by not sharing information. Recent Employee Viewpoint Survey results shared with my team support that belief too.

Intern

Management Analyst (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat collaborative culture. As a new intern, I was welcomed and trained.

ConsStale at the top of management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was OK.

Federal Investigator (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule and work life balance.

ConsRepetitive Work and can be boring at times.

Great people, but repetitive

Contact Specialist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIn my experience supervisors were understanding.
    People try to help you.
    Work is not too demanding.

ConsWork is repetitive.
    You might lose interest soon.
    Pay is not very competitive.

So-So

ProsHard to say what the pros are. Decent pay. Benefits are ok.

ConsNo kudos for going above and beyond. No room for growth anymore if you aren't a Vet.

Difficult environment to work in, no team work.

IT Specialist (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsOPM offers an interesting work load and the opportunity to work in a diverse programming atmosphere, plenty of training and education opportunities.

ConsThe staff and senior members are VERY difficult to work with. If they decide they don't like you, they begin their task of getting you out the door. I was hospitalized for 14 days during my employ at OPM, one senior staffer was gossiping that I was not ill. A lot of backbiting, gossip and so forth.

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter 30 years they should clear the dinosaurs out.

Federal Investigative Services

Investigator (Former Employee)

ProsThe work they do is vital to national security. Good place to start your career in the federal gov't. (Don't hang around, find what you REALLY want to do and move on.)

ConsToo bad they are guided by 30 something females whose goal is to rid the agency of older males, both black and white through micro-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because your employees are getting older and slower, is no reason to hit them with the rule book so often that they are faced with early retirement or termination at the hands of those 30 something women.

I had a great time working for Nationwide Testing

Assessment Support Administrator (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsWork independently, paid mtime and mileage from door to door

ConsThey had cut this division and I'm losing my gig.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, keep NWT viable. We do so much and cost so little.

sad state of affairs in Gov't.Gfdfsdddtfdfkkkov't v

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat experience and access to all levels of government professionals as well as other agencies within government if you are lucky - Wonderful internship opportinities through USAjobs.com - keywords: Pathways Program, Internships.

ConsCompetitive, clicky, cut throat ~ outdated technology - Nepitism, favoritism.....Lack of genuine leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementStronger leadership would make our government agencies the ideal workplace. Sr. Leaders are too focused on dotting "I's" and crossing "T's". Too bad they don't cultivate the incredibly talented workforce they already have and loose the extra baggage that saps the system. It is really time the government executives take the initiative and step up to the plate.

Worked for U.S. Office of Personnel Management? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at U.S. Office of Personnel Management reviews and ratings. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by U.S. Office of Personnel Management employees.