U.S. Senate

www.senate.gov

U.S. Senate Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

U.S. Senate President Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Pros
  • great for resume, fast paced, tight-knitted community (in 5 reviews)

• It looks great on a resume but the pay does not support cost of living (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes long hours that depend on Senate procedures and, of course, politics (in 14 reviews)

• Low pay for lots and lots of work, many late nights, not good work/life balance (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Very satisfying, if this is your intended career.

ProsAmazing experience, legislative influence, fantastic opportunity to assist people

ConsSalary and benefits, work-life balance, generally not family friendly.

Fast-paced atmosphere with tons of going on

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a great place to meet a bunch of extremely smart people around the same age. Most still seemed enamored with politics.

ConsYou get burnt out pretty quickly because of the stalemate in Washington, DC. The hours can be brutal but August recess is nice.

Valuable but unpaid internship experience

Intern (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsYou get to see how the government works up close and you get to work with resources that high school debate students everywhere would die for. When Congress is in session, there are tons of hearings you can go attend, just make sure to get there a bit early since there's usually a line. You are also encouraged to go sit in the Senate and House whenever you can. Having an internship is how you get your foot in the door for a job on the Hill, so it's definitely recommended for anyone considering a career in politics.

ConsWhen Congress isn't in session, work can be very slow. The internship was only six weeks, but the staff members took about half that time to trust you enough to handle bigger projects. (Since you have to know someone to get an internship, capable interns aren't a guarantee.) A major con is that most internships are unpaid and rent in DC is expensive. Work is from 9am-6pm, so that's 45 hours a week plus commute just for the experience. I wouldn't recommend this internship unless you are serious about starting a career in DC.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome days were too slow, so it would be a good idea to find more work to give to the interns.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If you are into politics, this is your place

Staff Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThis is a great place to work if you are into politics. Perfect for observing what is happening around the hill, get to talk with people shaping legislation, and it's always fun to see Members of Congress walking around.

ConsJob duties are tedious, salary could be better, but the job duties aren't high-stress because they are very administrative.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing your thing

Good benefits, exciting place to work

Press Secretary (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsNetworking, high level job training, fast-paced and never boring

ConsObviously very political job environment, bureaucratic issues

Staff Assistant is a great place to start on Capitol Hill.

Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsAs a staffer at the front desk, you are in prime position to learn EVERYTHING through observation. It's the perfect place to get a feel for the culture of Capital Hill and your office. It's also a fantastic place to meet other people with similar career goals.

ConsLong hours, Minimal salary and eventually you'll be emotionally drained from constituent calls (this will take about a year).

Great experience!

Staff Assistant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

Proseducational and hands-on. Learned a lot.

Conscompensation is ok and the environment could be intimidating at times.

Exciting and interesting experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt was exciting to serve the country and I had the opportunity to work on several interesting projects. I was always learning something new and everyday was different. I am grateful that I had the chance to work with so many driven and intelligent people. An opportunity of a lifetime.

ConsSalary is capped and many times your long hours won't get the recognition it deserves.

Least gratifying job I've ever had.

Legislative Correspondent (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsJunior staffers are fantastic. Some of the smartest, most down to Earth people you'll meet. Unfortunately, these attributes do not exist in leadership.

ConsNo professional development, bosses with unmanageable egos, leadership treats new employees as spies, extremely hard to build trust, low pay, long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites, this isn't middle school. Include and develop everyone on staff. You have some of the smartest, most dedicated people working for you and you're wasting talent by playing favorites.

Good start to getting government experience

Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHuge resume booster. Having a big-named senator on your resume goes a long way.

The work was not super stressful.

ConsIt felt like I wasn't really valued as an individual. My skill sets in other areas weren't utilized at all, even though they definitely could have helped. The job is primarily administrative work, research, and constituent calls, so if you want more than that, don't apply. Little to no opportunities for advancement.

Worked for U.S. Senate? Contribute to the Community!