U.S. Senate

U.S. Senate Reviews

Updated January 28, 2015
Updated January 28, 2015
4.0

U.S. Senate President Joseph R. Biden Jr.
Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Pros
  • It was incredibly exciting to work in such a fast paced environment with other highly educated and motivated people (in 10 reviews)

• It was a great place to meet a bunch of extremely smart people around the same age (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours dependent on the floor schedule, not a lot of mentoring or career advancement opportunities (in 19 reviews)

• Low pay for lots and lots of work, many late nights, not good work/life balance (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great opportunity to make a contribution on behalf of congressional constituencies. Service with a purpose.

Former Employee - Project Administrator
    Former Employee - Project Administrator

I worked at U.S. Senate full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Providing a service to various groups of people in need of assistance from the federal government. Realizing that the work you're doing is actually benefiting people. Helping to make things better for home state.

Cons

The congressional work schedule was usually long especially during election cycles.

Always remember that staff wants to grow and learn new things.

Summer Intern

I worked at U.S. Senate

Pros

The pros were that I was able to gain a great experience on the hill during the summer, see and be around many famous faces, learn about political structure, and actively contribute in my senator's work.

Cons

The Federal government is so tricky to deal with. There are so many loopholes and rules that it makes it frustrating as nothing seems to get done. I can't do the federal government thing.

It was a very good experience.

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Senate as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

People were nice, and extremely passionate about what they did. Was able to learn a lot, and meet interesting people.

Cons

There were not really any major negatives to speak about. Everything seemed to be good at the job.

None.

Best JOB I ever had

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at U.S. Senate

Pros

Being a part of the government, they had programs (they would pay your tuition) to let you go back to school and would work with on the hours of your classes. My department really believed in education.

Cons

It is very had to get a job in the SAA from the outside world.

Great People + Work Environment, but not challenging enough

Current Employee - Senate Intern
    Current Employee - Senate Intern

I have been working at U.S. Senate

Pros

Never a bad thing to say about any colleagues, ALL professional and helpful. Networking, Helping individual constituents.

Cons

Not very Challenging. Yelled at by constituents frequently

Give interns more challenging projects

A lot of responsibilities for an intern, allowed me to grow. Very disorganized.

Former Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Newark, NJ

I worked at U.S. Senate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was able to work independently with guidance when I wanted it. This allowed me to grow a lot as a professional. When I was able to help a constituent it was very rewarding, although this was rare.

Cons

The office is very disorganized, and I'm surprised more constituents don't fall through the cracks. Being yelled at by constituents all day and not being able to help a vast majority is very frustrating.

Make organization a priority

Great place to work.

I have been working at U.S. Senate full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Serve the country in a meaningful way.
    Ability to tailor legislative portfolio to professional interests. (i.e. military, agriculture, banking, intelligence, etc.)
    Meet high level industry leaders on a regular basis.
    Good springboard for other industries.
    Opportunity to interface with government agencies, associations, and corporations.

Cons

Moderate pay.
    Office cultures widely vary.

Really depends state/DC and who your boss is

Current Employee - State Manager
    Current Employee - State Manager

I have been working at U.S. Senate full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Looks good on a resume, agency matching benefits (need at least 2 years of service), Senate resources are much better than the House of Reps including an EAP office, printing graphics and direct mail office, and education and training office. If you can last 5, you qualify for retirement benefits.

Cons

Really depends on who your senator is and where you are working. If you love legislation go to DC, if you want to help people (caseworker) work in a state office. Two completely different environments, if both offices don't have a grasp on what each one does/functions then a lot of tensions flair. Extremely high turnover (most congressional employees last 1.5 years) I wouldn't do this long term but some people do.

Bring the whole team together occasionally. Have a mission/vision statement so everyone in the office knows their purpose and can prioritize what they do accordingly. Be nice to your employees!!!

Great job for early career

I worked at U.S. Senate

Pros

Great exposure, looks great on resume

Cons

Little room for growth, low salaries

Life as a Staff Assistant in the U.S. Senate

Current Employee - Staff Assistant
    Current Employee - Staff Assistant

I have been working at U.S. Senate full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great work-life balance, great place to develop professionally and personally, and pretty solid benefits (transportation stipend & loan repayment options).

Cons

Salary would definitely be a con. You will not be making as much as your equally talented peers in the private sector.

No advice.