U S Synthetic

Unbelievably Good Career

Current Employee - Quality  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Quality in Orem, UT

I have been working at U S Synthetic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I walked in the door to this job as a result of applying here the same time I did to Subway. No degree, no previous experience. The professional development systems and people at the company have given me every chance to make positive motion in my career. Enough to say I've had six raises since I started, and am now bringing home more in bonuses than I grossed at my last job.

Cons

The growth of the company, while exceedingly profitable, becomes a bear in maintaining culture and skills throughout the organization. This becomes evident in the espirit de corps on the floor, or the lack thereof.

We have a convenient finger to point at our host corporation, and while diminishing of benifits and/or raises due to their directives might very well be the truth, it feels like a blame game answer. We are better than that, and I believe our coworkers are capable of understanding the deeper rationales behind the policy changes.

Great benefits and great place to work

Current Employee - Operator  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Operator in Orem, UT

I have been working at U S Synthetic full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They do their best to promote from within.
    Quarterly bonuses that are usually above a thousand dollars each after a couple years.
    Amazing benefits that they don't take out of your paycheck.
    Service projects to help you give back to the community.

Cons

A lot of gaps in leadership where you don't get the development you need.
    HR sometimes doesn't handle problems they way they should.
    Need to spend a lot of time on the off-shifts before you can get to day shift.

Start to use Gemba more to see how much trainings and culture get carried down to the operators. Specifically the off-shifts.

A good place to work hard and improve yourself and your environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orem, UT

I have been working at U S Synthetic full-time for less than a year

Pros

They care about individuals having the opportunity to take responsibility for improving their work environment. They have good core values that they try to work towards. They offer profit sharing and other employee benefits which speaks to them believing about improving the live of their employees.

Cons

They kept me as a temp employee and didn't hire me on for 7 months. I'm a highly educated and skilled individual trying to get a start on my career in my particular field, but I've felt significantly ignored and neglected as to my abilities as I've felt stuck in my general labor position for nearly the past year. Even when I had an interview for an advanced education position I felt undervalued and non respected as the interview felt like a sucker punch. It was set up last minute and I couldn't get info about it, so I was unprepared, and didn't expect what felt like an ambush. I'm a professional so I know it wasn't, but it left me feeling severely undervalued.
    There was also an incident with our direct management recently that severely shook my trust in upper management and their decisions in lower level management that aren't qualified for their jobs, and haven't received the proper training. It resulted in a severe, unreasonable amount of unneeded stress and duress from direct management.

There are a lot of good things happening at this company, but I feel like a lot of opportunity to use me even partially for my abilities and education have been wasted over the past year. Upper management should be more aware of lower level employees abilities and capabilities, and be more open to extending opportunities to them, even if they aren't to the full extend of their deserved responsibilities and compensation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture, benefits, employees and experience

Current Employee - Student Engineer
    Current Employee - Student Engineer

I have been working at U S Synthetic full-time for more than a year

Pros

At US Synthetic, the vision is to improve lives. My superiors found out what my career interests were and opened up opportunities within the company to do what turned out to provide amazingly helpful, practical experience. Raises occur annually (6% until target salary of pay range is achieved and then 4% until cap). Quarterly profit sharing and 401k bonus pools. Great benefits. Fun environment. Personal growth encouraged.

Cons

This isn't as much of a con as it is something to be aware of, but change is always occurring. If you don't like being a team player and like to have your own cave, you might consider another job.

Hiring engineers seem to be a somewhat of difficult decision. I'm not sure why that is. I understand it is difficult to quantify the value and justify the decision to hire more engineers, but if US Synthetic is to remain as a dominant figure in diamond solutions, being hesitant to assemble a larger engineering group doesn't seem to jive with that objective.

Great company whose focus is on the employee

I have been working at U S Synthetic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great perks: Quarterly profit sharing bonus, onsite gym, onsite clinic, onsite cafeteria, Family focused culture, great benefits. The training that is offered is world class; six sigma, lean manufacturing among others.

Cons

It is a culture of change and improvement, if you are not able to adapt to sudden and frequent changes I would proceed with caution

I would like a clearer picture of what I can expect my future to look like at US Synthetic.

Professional and yet still supportive and helpfull

I have been working at U S Synthetic part-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the pros are that there is profit sharing for all non-temp employees. There are also great health benefits and tuition reimbursement for full time employees.

Cons

Since this is a small company there are not many opportunities for growth and promotions. I would like to move up as an engineer but to do that I will leave after graduation somewhere else.

Hard work is rewarded by quarterly bonuses, hours are sometime very inconvenient.

Former Employee - Finish Operator  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Finish Operator in Orem, UT

I worked at U S Synthetic full-time for more than a year

Pros

US Synthetic is very family-centric, and has events for the whole family from time to time. Bonuses are generous when sales are up. While there, US Synthetic was awarded the Shingo Prize, and the company bought each employee an iPad 2. Good opportunities to work overtime and rise up in the ranks if desired and you're a proven worker.

Cons

Non-flexible rigid schedule, have to be on swing or graveyard shift for a while before moving to day shift.

For the rest of my career I will look back and say "I was really spoiled"

Former Employee - Automation Technician  in  Orem, UT
    Former Employee - Automation Technician in Orem, UT

I worked at U S Synthetic part-time for more than a year

Pros

As much employee focused as customer focused.
    Amazing benefits.
    Great community.

Cons

General: I can't think of any.
    Personal: No job opening for when i graduated.

US Synthetic is a great place to work.

I have been working at U S Synthetic

Pros

US Synthetic seems to have an attitude of treating employees well ingrained into the culture of the company. As an entry level position I was given great opportunities to gain experience and lead interesting projects. Everyone in the company is encouraged to share ideas towards to support the "kaizan" (continual improvement) philosophy and so there is a significant feeling of team work. The benefits package offered to every employee is amazing.

Cons

Most of the company's jobs involve working on the manufacturing floor. These could require more tedious work or odd hours (but only if you apply for that shift). I worked at the company during a round of layoffs due to the economic slowdown (though I wan't let go), and while it seemed that the company did everything they could to help those who were let go, potential layoffs are a downside of working in the manufacturing sector.

Continue to provide opportunities for growth of entry level employees. Allow student engineers to lead projects to gain experience and prove themselves.

With only a few draw backs, but nothing glaringly negative, US Synthetic is a fantastic company to work for.

Current Employee - Marketing Team Member  in  Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Team Member in Orem, UT

I have been working at U S Synthetic

Pros

The benefits (health, dental, vision, 401k, profit-sharing in a company that is breaking sales records every month, etc) is a large reason for coming to US Synthetic. Also the amenities they have for employees (full gym, on-site grill & cafe, an in-the-works on-site medical clinic, etc) that I would say rival any I have researched. All-in-all US Synthetic treats their employees more than fairly.

Cons

Not too many downsides to working at US Synthetic. Where 85% of the employees are factory workers and enjoy things that I vastly different from what I like to do, I can't say that I have many friends at work, but I've never gone to work to make friends (I can do that elsewhere) so that isn't a real downside. In a marketing sense, US Synthetic was started and is run by engineers who are not the most creative or willing to take creative risks so you wouldn't want to come here if you were looking to get wild and crazy with design and outside the box thinking.

Worked for U S Synthetic? Contribute to the Community!