U.S. Vision

Bill Schwartz Jr.

Waiting but watching

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to start, and grow.

Cons

Very little room for growth, with career path and salaries...

Understand the true value of the career minded employees, and compensate them to ensure they stay... Senior management really needs to look at who is really generating the revenue for the company, it is typically the hands in the store level....MUST TREAT AND COMPENSATE BETTER...MAKE IT AN INITIATIVE!!

Former Employee - Optech in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Optech in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The job is easy if you are technically savvy and have prior retail experience
    - There are also plenty of opportunities for growth within the company
    - I was able to travel a bit
    - Great job if you're looking for more responsibility
    - Learned plenty of practical skills concerning optics

Cons

- I was hired during a time when everyone in my region was either quitting or being fired
    - After being offered a $0.25 raise instead of the initial $2-3 I was told during my interview, I had to leave to pursue better opportunities with better pay
    - Commission s based on sales volume of the store. Make sure you try to work at a store that does $30K+ in sales each month.

Communication channels were a bit disjointed and opposite of how a typical retail company works because of high turnover. I would suggest investing in quality workers by offering better raises and working to developing a more inclusive culture between corporate workers and store employees.

Keeps getting worse...

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commissions are decent when you get them. Schedules are flexible. PTO accrues quickly.

Cons

Commissions are harder to earn and decrease every year. No 401K match. The lab has horrible quality and turn-around time, but we're expected to keep a customer happy while telling them their glasses will take at least 3 weeks. The company doesn't care about its employees or its customers.

Listen to the people on the front line. Stop making constant excuses for the lab. Bring back the benefits you took away. Satisfied employees make satisfied customers.

A good education on how NOT to do business.

Former Employee - Optical Department Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Optical Department Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always got my check.It was direct deposit.

Cons

If not for direct deposit,they would have lost it.Seriously,there are more managers than employees.The company is unethical from top down.Illegal at times.They consistently lie to employees and customers alike.Constant turnover of mid management and in store employees.No training system in place.Constantly hypocritical.The lab work is the worst i've ever seen.

Be honest with your employees.Be honest with customers.Don't encourage employees to lie to cover your arses.Take an honest look at your management.Under the new regime some of those field managers will do whatever it takes to keep their jobs.Many would not succeed in real corporate America.Don't know how some got their jobs but more importantly how they keep them.When most employees are unhappy,don't you think that's a problem?

Family oriented and work life balance

Former Employee - Lab in Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab in Blackwood, NJ

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and care about the employees. Daycare onsite with flex time.

Cons

Benefits are not inline with other companies and not much room for growth.

promote and allow employees to make decisions and have more responsibilities.

It was ... ok.... I guess ...

Former Employee - Optician in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Optician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at U.S. Vision part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Coworkers were great, loved them! I was lucky enough to have an awesome manager who was patient with teaching me the in's and out's.

Cons

The most frustrating thing about working here was no system for patient files and other records (previous purchases were kept in computer files). We were keeping them in shoe boxes in the closet (that wasn't locked)!! I have to agree with others that whenever we called our district manager, she always seemed like we were bothering her. And the workers at the lab would let things pass that were obviously not going to pass our inspection (huge scratch on the lens, etc). I was only part-time and had zero benefits. The pay difference between the manager (who was licensed) and myself was insane! I was getting about $9 an hour plus commission (about $100 per month) and she was getting well over $20 an hour plus commission. I worked here for about 2 years and saw no changes in any of these areas.

Get a REAL system in place for keeping patient files together. Pay the "low level" employees more! NO COMMISSION!

Was good now very bad

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They used to care about their customers. Now all they care about is how few people can work in their stores. I have been here 14 years, seen my hours cut twice in 2 years while making record sales in my location and it's time to go.

Cons

See above. They pretty much suck st everything.

Care about your employees. Especially the ones in the field, since they are the ones that actually pay your salary by selling your product. Unhappy workers=less $. Common sense.

Okay for now, still looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Optech in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Optech in Lansing, MI

I have been working at U.S. Vision part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Eventually discounted eyewear for myself and family.

Cons

Low starting wages, lab doing bad work lately, losing customers frames on remakes. Had 4 remakes on same customer, kept sending back, then they lost frame. No structure to training, manager is a poor trainer. I've been with company 3 mos. and have had 2 district managers already. No more 401K matches.

I don't know how you think 8.00 an hour is sufficient to clean the store, do your banking, listen to customers complain about lost items, slow turn over for orders and stand on your feet all day. Home depot pays 12.00 an hour. When you have good, honest employees you should reward them. Our store did 30,000 dollars last month, did we get any prize? A coffee mug, a t-shirt , a 25.00 gift card?

It is poor pay for too much work.

Current Employee - Optician in Danville, IL
    Current Employee - Optician in Danville, IL

I have been working at U.S. Vision part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a paycheck. That is all there is to it. The pay isnt even that great.

Cons

Low pay. Bad hours. Don't care about the employees. If anyone wants free stuff just call and make up some BS complaint.

Train your associates. Pay them an honest wage. ACTUALLY VISIT THE DAMN STORES.

US Vision quickly became just a paycheck while I look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wages include a hourly rate plus monthly incentives with direct deposit . Promotional contest are about every quarter, rewards range from gift cards to cash.

Cons

Very limited on full time hours, 34hrs for a manager and under 20 for part time employees. District managers seem like they are being bothered when you need to ask them questions. The staff at the Central lab seem to not know what they are doing 60% of the time.

All locations need optometrist, even if it is part time. Optechs need more group training sessions by experienced optechians.