U.S. Vision

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Schwartz Jr.

Great small company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat corporate experience, but in a smaller family focused environment.

ConsCompensation is on the lower end of companies in the area.

US Vision quickly became just a paycheck while I look elsewhere.

Store Manager (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsWages include a hourly rate plus monthly incentives with direct deposit . Promotional contest are about every quarter, rewards range from gift cards to cash.

ConsVery limited on full time hours, 34hrs for a manager and under 20 for part time employees. District managers seem like they are being bothered when you need to ask them questions. The staff at the Central lab seem to not know what they are doing 60% of the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll locations need optometrist, even if it is part time. Optechs need more group training sessions by experienced optechians.

Wrong Choice for a career

Accounting Department (Current Employee) Blackwood, NJ

ProsLocation is out of the way , no traffic

ConsEntrenched Management, including family members from old regime! Don't expect to be promoted unless you fit into the corporate mold run be underlings in the accounting department. Controller and Assist controller carrying grudges from former jobs looking to social engineer present department. Expect to work on weekends without pay or comps. Office attitude is one of do as I say , workhouse mentality no respect for seasoned professionals . Meely-Mouse and Micromanaging is the norm. No balance of work and private life. Expect no time off for the first year. Worst job ever . Company might be going out of business , sales are dropping daily. Ship is sinking . If interviewing for any type of job at HQ , ask about the recent lay-offs and forced retirements, and don't accept any lame excuses. Ask to do a walk through the office during the interview process and view the general feeling of the other employees working. You'll then realize why it's called US Prision! Good Luck and if you decide on going here for work , once here , you can't say you weren't warned!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't preach about an open door policy, prove that you have one! Keep in tune as to what your managers are doing!!! Look at the way they are micromanaging everything! Well it won't be long before it's all academic . Soon you will all be looking for work hopefully at normal offices where you then actually have to do real stuff! Can't wait.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Work!

Apprentice Optician (Current Employee)

ProsI am grateful for the opportunity to work at a US Vision store. I hope to be a licensed optician soon, and I am learning some excellent skills to help me achieve that goal, I also have excellent benefits: health insurance and paid time off. How many companies out there let you have benefits, only working 25 hours a week? US Vision does.

ConsThe company has restructured and I have a new district manager (DM) for my region. I have heard that this is not the first time the restructuring has taken place, and that it happens every year. I really like my former DM, but I am getting to know the new DM. I think employees like some stability, but I guess change is often inevitable.

Good company

Optician (Former Employee) Carbondale, IL

ProsI enjoyed working here left due to having a baby*. Training is pretty easy and if you have any questions when your manager is not available other stores are willing to help.

Cons*I didn't actually leave due to having a baby I was let go since I didn't qualify for FMLA. I was told to look into it to see if I did qualify and also told that I would be put on reserve. Since I did look into FMLA they said that to qualify for it I would have to be there for a year which I was and then have worked 1250 hrs. My hrs were short. Since I looked into FMLA they said I now didn't qualify for being put on reserve.

Other than that I have no complaints about the company.

Shady

Manager/Optician (Former Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsNone. This company pays they're employees little to nothing and expects you to force upgrades that are garbage on people that can't afford it. The management does not do they're job but are getting paid the big bucks.

ConsThis company is of the shadiest I've ever worked for. They expect so much and pay so little. The frames are cheap and break easily. The lenses that are supposed to be Hd are no different than the other lenses they sell but triple the price.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo out of business

Great company

District Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCo workers advancement opportunities

ConsTraveling too much overnight was difficult

It was ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere. Lots of perks within the building itself. Daycare was on site.

ConsWasn't many bad things to say

Need to train employees

Optical Manager (Former Employee)

ProsYou get JcPenney store discount. Travel pay is better than working in a store alone.

ConsThey company do not train employees based on their expectations. I had years of experience but not knowing their policies made my job difficult. District manager was clueless have of the time. I had to tell him over and over again about an issue and nothing still doesn't get resolved. His lack of concern for the store made me look bad to corporate. They don't pay well. They wanted me to start off at minimal wage with 8 yrs of experience. Commission structure didn't make since. They store had to do well to get commission. So if everybody is not doing their job you suffer. All in all the company is cheap. Not enough employees to allow flexibility. So as manager if someone called of I didn't have a off day or if I'm on vacation out of town the is closed because the DM never answered the phone to get help and if you did get him on the phone he wouldn't come in to help op and open the store. Vacation on the beach wasn't a vacation because they kept calling me. If you want a life with kids and spouse this is not the job for you.

Not worth the time

Optech (Current Employee)

ProsEasy work, discount on glasses and store discount if you work at a JC Penney optical,

ConsWas hired to work 24 hours a week and never once did I get those hours. Most of the sales happen in the morning or early afternoon and I was always scheduled for the closing. Most days I didn't see one customer come in to order just people needing repairs, adjustments or picking up glasses already ordered. As a result of no customers my sales goals were in the toilet and then my hours were cut to 12 hours a week, 3 four hour days. I don't see how they can expect you to sell when there are no customers coming in. Explained that to management but they just said the other optech sells so why can't I. Yeah, it's all my fault that customers aren't coming in.

Worked for U.S. Vision? Contribute to the Community!