U.S. Vision Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014
Updated August 20, 2014

2.5

Bill Schwartz Jr.

Family oriented and work life balance

Former Employee - Lab  in  Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab in Blackwood, NJ

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good culture and care about the employees. Daycare onsite with flex time.

Cons

Benefits are not inline with other companies and not much room for growth.

promote and allow employees to make decisions and have more responsibilities.

It was ... ok.... I guess ...

Former Employee - Optician  in  Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Optician in Tucson, AZ

I worked at U.S. Vision part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers were great, loved them! I was lucky enough to have an awesome manager who was patient with teaching me the in's and out's.

Cons

The most frustrating thing about working here was no system for patient files and other records (previous purchases were kept in computer files). We were keeping them in shoe boxes in the closet (that wasn't locked)!! I have to agree with others that whenever we called our district manager, she always seemed like we were bothering her. And the workers at the lab would let things pass that were obviously not going to pass our inspection (huge scratch on the lens, etc). I was only part-time and had zero benefits. The pay difference between the manager (who was licensed) and myself was insane! I was getting about $9 an hour plus commission (about $100 per month) and she was getting well over $20 an hour plus commission. I worked here for about 2 years and saw no changes in any of these areas.

Get a REAL system in place for keeping patient files together. Pay the "low level" employees more! NO COMMISSION!

Okay for now, still looking elsewhere

Current Employee - Optech  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Optech in Lansing, MI

I have been working at U.S. Vision part-time for less than a year

Pros

Eventually discounted eyewear for myself and family.

Cons

Low starting wages, lab doing bad work lately, losing customers frames on remakes. Had 4 remakes on same customer, kept sending back, then they lost frame. No structure to training, manager is a poor trainer. I've been with company 3 mos. and have had 2 district managers already. No more 401K matches.

I don't know how you think 8.00 an hour is sufficient to clean the store, do your banking, listen to customers complain about lost items, slow turn over for orders and stand on your feet all day. Home depot pays 12.00 an hour. When you have good, honest employees you should reward them. Our store did 30,000 dollars last month, did we get any prize? A coffee mug, a t-shirt , a 25.00 gift card?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It is poor pay for too much work.

Current Employee - Optician  in  Danville, IL
    Current Employee - Optician in Danville, IL

I have been working at U.S. Vision part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a paycheck. That is all there is to it. The pay isnt even that great.

Cons

Low pay. Bad hours. Don't care about the employees. If anyone wants free stuff just call and make up some BS complaint.

Train your associates. Pay them an honest wage. ACTUALLY VISIT THE DAMN STORES.

Great small company

I worked at U.S. Vision

Pros

Great corporate experience, but in a smaller family focused environment.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower end of companies in the area.

US Vision quickly became just a paycheck while I look elsewhere.

Current Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Wages include a hourly rate plus monthly incentives with direct deposit . Promotional contest are about every quarter, rewards range from gift cards to cash.

Cons

Very limited on full time hours, 34hrs for a manager and under 20 for part time employees. District managers seem like they are being bothered when you need to ask them questions. The staff at the Central lab seem to not know what they are doing 60% of the time.

All locations need optometrist, even if it is part time. Optechs need more group training sessions by experienced optechians.

Wrong Choice for a career

Current Employee - Accounting Department  in  Blackwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Accounting Department in Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time

Pros

Location is out of the way , no traffic

Cons

Entrenched Management, including family members from old regime! Don't expect to be promoted unless you fit into the corporate mold run be underlings in the accounting department. Controller and Assist controller carrying grudges from former jobs looking to social engineer present department. Expect to work on weekends without pay or comps. Office attitude is one of do as I say , workhouse mentality no respect for seasoned professionals . Meely-Mouse and Micromanaging is the norm. No balance of work and private life. Expect no time off for the first year. Worst job ever . Company might be going out of business , sales are dropping daily. Ship is sinking . If interviewing for any type of job at HQ , ask about the recent lay-offs and forced retirements, and don't accept any lame excuses. Ask to do a walk through the office during the interview process and view the general feeling of the other employees working. You'll then realize why it's called US Prision! Good Luck and if you decide on going here for work , once here , you can't say you weren't warned!

Don't preach about an open door policy, prove that you have one! Keep in tune as to what your managers are doing!!! Look at the way they are micromanaging everything! Well it won't be long before it's all academic . Soon you will all be looking for work hopefully at normal offices where you then actually have to do real stuff! Can't wait.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Apprentice Optician
    Current Employee - Apprentice Optician

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am grateful for the opportunity to work at a US Vision store. I hope to be a licensed optician soon, and I am learning some excellent skills to help me achieve that goal, I also have excellent benefits: health insurance and paid time off. How many companies out there let you have benefits, only working 25 hours a week? US Vision does.

Cons

The company has restructured and I have a new district manager (DM) for my region. I have heard that this is not the first time the restructuring has taken place, and that it happens every year. I really like my former DM, but I am getting to know the new DM. I think employees like some stability, but I guess change is often inevitable.

Good company

Former Employee - Optician  in  Carbondale, IL
    Former Employee - Optician in Carbondale, IL

I worked at U.S. Vision part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed working here left due to having a baby*. Training is pretty easy and if you have any questions when your manager is not available other stores are willing to help.

Cons

*I didn't actually leave due to having a baby I was let go since I didn't qualify for FMLA. I was told to look into it to see if I did qualify and also told that I would be put on reserve. Since I did look into FMLA they said that to qualify for it I would have to be there for a year which I was and then have worked 1250 hrs. My hrs were short. Since I looked into FMLA they said I now didn't qualify for being put on reserve.

Other than that I have no complaints about the company.

Shady

Former Employee - Manager/Optician  in  Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Manager/Optician in Toledo, OH

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None. This company pays they're employees little to nothing and expects you to force upgrades that are garbage on people that can't afford it. The management does not do they're job but are getting paid the big bucks.

Cons

This company is of the shadiest I've ever worked for. They expect so much and pay so little. The frames are cheap and break easily. The lenses that are supposed to be Hd are no different than the other lenses they sell but triple the price.

Go out of business

Worked for U.S. Vision? Contribute to the Community!