U.S. Vision Reviews

Updated April 24, 2015
58 reviews filtered by
2.2
Bill Schwartz Jr.

Pros
  • 15% discount from jc penney, the store which you can also apply towards sephora ( in store) and the salon (in 4 reviews)

• You get JcPenney store discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • and have had 2 district managers already (in 8 reviews)

• The staff at the Central lab seem to not know what they are doing 60% of the time (in 11 reviews)

1. Floating Optician

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, great vacation, not a ton of pressure

Cons

Lots of locations are very short staffed

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for those who perform well in their jobs.

I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy

Former Employee - Stock Associate in Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Blackwood, NJ

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pros?? If there are any, they would only be the free pretzels they give away on Fridays. One Friday a month, they give away free lunch (cold pizza, melting water ice). They have 45 mi ute lunch breaks on Wednesdays, and the free candy in the cookie jar.

Cons

Well where do I start?? The $9/hr they barely wanna pay you. When you get your check, you can't get it from the supervisor till 6:00 for fear you'll skip out (I cannot make this up). Speaking of a supervisor, let's talk about them passive agressive, conescending backstabbing bullies. I got pulled into an office the day I quit because I wore gloves, which, get this, we neeed a doctor's note for approval to wear them, and I guess I didn't take them off fast enough for her. The fact that they didn't tell me in the interview about a standard we had to meet every day. I worked injured for a few days and they knew that. Instead of asking me how I been feeling, they asked me to speed it up, like fa real tho?? Talk about that imaginary brass ring, it does exist. And the fact that I stayed to myself and just worked didn't help my case. You would have to be a glad handing, non sensical, butt kissing, yes man. It just made me miserable and my family started noticing. Especially when I caught flack for my attendance, I worked 10a-6:30p, all so I could honor my appointment s for my doctors which I have to go to once a month and that's not even my primary. Imagine if I was looking for another place to work.

Advice to Management

My mother always said, if I don't have anything nice to say, don't say nothing at all. There you have that...

Yikes!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was offered a decent starting wage at 15/Hr as the store manager with 38-40 hours. I was told that I could advance easily within the company? 25% JCP Discount

Cons

Communication and technology is horrible. I receive several emails covering the same topic, wasting a lot of time and causing confusion. There is no access to forms, training manuals ect in iFocus. Attempting to communicate with the lab is a joke. It always takes forever to get ahold of them and they always have a nasty attitude. I once waited on hold for 20 minutes! The company loses time and money with the amounts of incorrect jobs received from the lab. I get griped at by my current DM when we have several remakes that are primarily caused by lab errors. I've had 3 DMs in 3 months...

Advice to Management

More organization and clarity when delegating tasks to the store front. Better incentives, many are insulting and waste a lot of time. Offer better training- I had no optical experience and I was only given one week of training by another manager. Was told that I would be able to transfer within the company, as I am relocating to a different state. When I asked for an update, I was told, "We'll see when we get closer to when you leave." I was to be moving in 3 weeks. Did they expect me to wait until the day of? Here I am on Glassdoor looking for a decent job located where I'm to be moving.

Even after quitting I feel the negative impact of this company.

Former Employee - Optical Manager
    Former Employee - Optical Manager

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bonuses were good when you earned them. Sales contests lead to many pairs of free eyeglasses. Pay was decent. It was easy to use PTO.

Cons

The company doesn't care about it's employees OR customers. They'll throw partial refunds when people complain enough, but don't actually do anything to improve the system. The lab turnaround time/quality is the top customer complaint, yet they reduce how many days jobs can ship to/from the lab to "save costs." When a complaint escalates to the District Manager, the response is that we have to "find a way to keep our customers happy" while trying to quote a turnaround of 2-3 "business weeks." To the lab this meant 15-21 "business days" or about a month. Try explaining that to a customer!

They "temporarily suspended" the 401k match. They began cutting hours based on sales volume, regardless of simple coverage needs. The bonus program was reduced every year, and one month was randomly changed so that no one earned a decent bonus. The district managers care only about numbers, and choose to focus on whichever number isn't perfect. On a month when a 2 for 99 sale was running and my store was one of two making goal (we ended the month at 20% OVER the sales goal) my district manager's first comment to me was we were last place in the district in one metric. Even making money doesn't please US Vision.

This year I was rid of US Vision and still felt the negative impact of having worked for this company. I was hit with a very large tax bill of just over $1,000. The CPA looked over my W2 and did the math and determined that the reason I owe (and owed every year I was with US Vision) must have been because they weren't deducting the correct amount when commissions and bonus were taken into account. When I started I remember receiving a separate bonus check that had no taxes deducted. Then (just as the first annual bonus plan change/cut was announced) a memo was sent out stating that bonuses would be included in the same check at the first pay period of the month. We assumed because it was in the same check that the correct taxes were being paid. They were not.

I worked for LensCrafters and left. US Vision promotes themselves to opticians as being anti-LensCrafters. The truth is they have done everything LensCrafters did that lost them so many opticians.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees that are on the sales floor. Take care of your customers by taking care of your employees. Drop the LensCrafters play book. "Accounting" should not be making as many decisions as it does. If you continue to refuse to have the lab final inspect your jobs, trust the opticians that would love to tell the customer their glasses are ready instead of having to tell them it's going to be another 2-3 "business weeks."

I had a wonderful experience working with USV. I learned a lot, but reasons for separating and associate are questionabl

Former Employee - Manager/Optician
    Former Employee - Manager/Optician

I worked at U.S. Vision

Pros

Freedom under certain field managers to do your job, open to new ideas.

Cons

Ethics: when told to terminate an associate there is not much to go on. Investigations are "supposedly" done but we end up settling in court

Advice to Management

Listen to your DM's and Optechs. We are in the field and they make promises fiscally they can't keep.

District manager

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

Great company
    Upper management listens to ideas and concerns.
    Energetic environment
    Associates enjoy going to work

Cons

Haven't had any negative experiences with this company.

Advice to Management

Enjoying everyday

Lord help me

Current Employee - Opt Tech in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Opt Tech in Madison, WI

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

discounted eyewear, easy work, competitively priced (relatively)

Cons

old technology, archaic management system, passive aggressive dm and upper mgmt who consider themselves beyond reproach

Advice to Management

recognize who are actually making the sales at the store level. have an open door policy for your upper management, upgrade your technology for 2015, you offer product that's a dozen or more years old resulting in customer complaints. find better growth oppty's than washed up host stores that you currently inhabit.

Problematic

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

Good if you don't need to make a living.
    Benefits okay.
    Free lunches monthly.
    Candy.
    Basically you'll be fed a lot.

Cons

Very low paying at every level including management.
    Horror stories about certain executives (one in particular) that are widespread among employees create a sense that job advancements are not given fairly.
    Very poor communication between field and home office and within departments.
    Favoritism DEFINITELY exists.

Advice to Management

Familiarity breeds contempt. There is a definite circle among upper management. It is at this point questionable that decisions are being made solely in the companys interest. Perhaps some outside management should be brought in to balance this. Also pay your good people more money to stay on board and stop taking whatever walks in off the streets.

High Pressure Sales

Former Employee - Managing Optician
    Former Employee - Managing Optician

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As store manager I was able to take care of things and do a good job without being nit-picked all the time like I was at other optical jobs. It's easy to get a job there.

Cons

Extreme high pressure sales with no company help to increase sales. You were more of a sales person than optician. Conference call every week to force you to sell more options to patients. No developing trust with the customer or doing what's best for patients - just increase sales or your hours were cut & then you were let go. Sales below quota were always your fault, never circumstances, & you had to tell them what you were doing wrong & make up things you would do to fix it.

Advice to Management

Realize that patients trust & come back when they feel you are helping them, and run when they think they are a vending machine, just being worked for as much money as you can manipulate out of them. Help the managers rather than making them tell you what they are doing wrong, which is depressing. Provide sales support, such as advertising, and pay the help enough to get some quality.

You can't hide from the truth

Current Employee - Accountant in Blackwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

The location is ideal , away from traffic and congestion. Collecting unemployment won't be difficult their reputation is ruined , nobody would question it.

Cons

Everything, where to begin. Nepotism , old-girl network, yes apparently you have to be female to get promoted. Accounting management entrenched with promoting females because of past jobs , and trying to vindicate here. Not working, sales are plummitting. Company looks like its going to get sold soon or collapse. Lab color codes orders Sears, JCP , gets low end work done and has to wait the longest for orders by design. The company spends a lot of money on trying to stop workers from starting a union. Using threats to stop union shop talk and make people afraid is main objective. Lab techs are not qualified , substituting lab workers with accounting staff, really ???? bookkeepers and Payroll, accounting staff shouldn't be working in the lab! Customer concerns not being taken seriously. The company is a fraud . The vale will soon be off and the rest of the world will know . I hope it stains all who partook in this sham!

Advice to Management

Leave while you can. Take the name US Vision off your resume! That name will be as bad as Enron soon!