U.S. Vision

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014
2.3

Bill Schwartz Jr.

Pros
  • 15% discount from jc penney, the store which you can also apply towards sephora ( in store) and the salon (in 4 reviews)

• You get JcPenney store discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • and have had 2 district managers already (in 8 reviews)

• The staff at the Central lab seem to not know what they are doing 60% of the time (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

You can't hide from the truth

Current Employee - Accountant in Blackwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

The location is ideal , away from traffic and congestion. Collecting unemployment won't be difficult their reputation is ruined , nobody would question it.

Cons

Everything, where to begin. Nepotism , old-girl network, yes apparently you have to be female to get promoted. Accounting management entrenched with promoting females because of past jobs , and trying to vindicate here. Not working, sales are plummitting. Company looks like its going to get sold soon or collapse. Lab color codes orders Sears, JCP , gets low end work done and has to wait the longest for orders by design. The company spends a lot of money on trying to stop workers from starting a union. Using threats to stop union shop talk and make people afraid is main objective. Lab techs are not qualified , substituting lab workers with accounting staff, really ???? bookkeepers and Payroll, accounting staff shouldn't be working in the lab! Customer concerns not being taken seriously. The company is a fraud . The vale will soon be off and the rest of the world will know . I hope it stains all who partook in this sham!

Leave while you can. Take the name US Vision off your resume! That name will be as bad as Enron soon!

Good place to start, then go to a better place

Former Employee - LDO in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - LDO in Burlington, NC

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal DM interference, at least in my store. Autonomous from BJ warehouse- optical is its own world and BJ general management (again, in my store) leaves you to your own devices if you keep to your own area. BJ staff was very helpful to us, bringing down big tables from break room when we had DFE sales is one example of many. In my store, the BJ "bouncers" would back you up everytime if you had an abusive customer. You have to be pro-active to make the relationship with your own BJ store what it is for good or bad but there will come a time when you need their help. We built a good working relationship. Tech support people at Home Office were tops! Under terrific pressure, they always helped us to get a complex order input correctly. Lisa, Fashionette, Corinne are names I remember being particularly helpful. Give these people a raise, they deserve every dollar.

Cons

DM is stretched thin and don't expect direct help from him. All he cares about is sales, period. Computer crashes, fax problems, store equipment failures are all on you to deal with. If your store is in slow time, you will have to work alone mostly as double-coverage is limited. You will maybe get to work with another person one or two days a week. Also Tech support is not always available during the hours your store is open. The biggest CON is the hours. They lost me because they hired me for full-time then gradually over 3 years time reduced me and every other associate in our district's hours to 29 hours a week. Unacceptable. After I resigned, my DM did offer me a deal where I could travel to another store to get the extra hours to make 40, but by then I'd accepted a job at another retail where they guaranteed 40 hours plus Mondays off and occasional travel for overtime. I would have gone for the DM's deal if it had come sooner.

Stop telling us to put up balloons during designer sale events. Balloons are not f*cking magical and they do not increase sales at all. Our store finally got a helium tank, but then DM started requiring MYLAR balloons. These must be procured on our own time because you can't leave your store unattended to go buy them. DFE sales are stressful enough without more window trimming.

Upper management, you need to get some boots on the ground with us to see what we go through to make and then keep a sale. When a customer has been unreasonably rude to us, stop appeasing them with free stuff that WE have to deliver. You are training the customer to be what they are for good or bad. You routinely roll over and have the attitude that the customer is always right. Come on down here and have a few interactions with some of these crazies we have to deal with and then maybe you'll understand. Also "customer always right" implies that you think your own employees are always wrong. There are some toxic customers who can't be pleased. You give them free stuff, they keep coming back for more, you lose more money. It's called Karma.

This company has gone downhill recently.

Current Employee - Managing Optician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Managing Optician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This can be a good place to work, as long as you have a thick skin. Good benefits and reasonable hours.

Cons

Management has recently decided that advertising should be cut back, causing lower sales, yet they expect results to increase. This leads to tension. Also, no raises in 4 years.

I would like to be able to give some input on frame selection. I aso would like to input on lens selection. I can sell a better quality of product.

Former Employee - Optech in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Optech in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The job is easy if you are technically savvy and have prior retail experience
    - There are also plenty of opportunities for growth within the company
    - I was able to travel a bit
    - Great job if you're looking for more responsibility
    - Learned plenty of practical skills concerning optics

Cons

- I was hired during a time when everyone in my region was either quitting or being fired
    - After being offered a $0.25 raise instead of the initial $2-3 I was told during my interview, I had to leave to pursue better opportunities with better pay
    - Commission s based on sales volume of the store. Make sure you try to work at a store that does $30K+ in sales each month.

Communication channels were a bit disjointed and opposite of how a typical retail company works because of high turnover. I would suggest investing in quality workers by offering better raises and working to developing a more inclusive culture between corporate workers and store employees.

Keeps getting worse...

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Commissions are decent when you get them. Schedules are flexible. PTO accrues quickly.

Cons

Commissions are harder to earn and decrease every year. No 401K match. The lab has horrible quality and turn-around time, but we're expected to keep a customer happy while telling them their glasses will take at least 3 weeks. The company doesn't care about its employees or its customers.

Listen to the people on the front line. Stop making constant excuses for the lab. Bring back the benefits you took away. Satisfied employees make satisfied customers.

A good education on how NOT to do business.

Former Employee - Optical Department Manager in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Optical Department Manager in Allentown, PA

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I always got my check.It was direct deposit.

Cons

If not for direct deposit,they would have lost it.Seriously,there are more managers than employees.The company is unethical from top down.Illegal at times.They consistently lie to employees and customers alike.Constant turnover of mid management and in store employees.No training system in place.Constantly hypocritical.The lab work is the worst i've ever seen.

Be honest with your employees.Be honest with customers.Don't encourage employees to lie to cover your arses.Take an honest look at your management.Under the new regime some of those field managers will do whatever it takes to keep their jobs.Many would not succeed in real corporate America.Don't know how some got their jobs but more importantly how they keep them.When most employees are unhappy,don't you think that's a problem?

Was good now very bad

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

They used to care about their customers. Now all they care about is how few people can work in their stores. I have been here 14 years, seen my hours cut twice in 2 years while making record sales in my location and it's time to go.

Cons

See above. They pretty much suck st everything.

Care about your employees. Especially the ones in the field, since they are the ones that actually pay your salary by selling your product. Unhappy workers=less $. Common sense.

Waiting but watching

Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to start, and grow.

Cons

Very little room for growth, with career path and salaries...

Understand the true value of the career minded employees, and compensate them to ensure they stay... Senior management really needs to look at who is really generating the revenue for the company, it is typically the hands in the store level....MUST TREAT AND COMPENSATE BETTER...MAKE IT AN INITIATIVE!!

It is poor pay for too much work.

Current Employee - Optician in Danville, IL
    Current Employee - Optician in Danville, IL

I have been working at U.S. Vision part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a paycheck. That is all there is to it. The pay isnt even that great.

Cons

Low pay. Bad hours. Don't care about the employees. If anyone wants free stuff just call and make up some BS complaint.

Train your associates. Pay them an honest wage. ACTUALLY VISIT THE DAMN STORES.

Family oriented and work life balance

Former Employee - Lab in Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab in Blackwood, NJ

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and care about the employees. Daycare onsite with flex time.

Cons

Benefits are not inline with other companies and not much room for growth.

promote and allow employees to make decisions and have more responsibilities.