U.S. Vision Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
56 reviews filtered by
2.3
Bill Schwartz Jr.

Pros
  • 15% discount from jc penney, the store which you can also apply towards sephora ( in store) and the salon (in 4 reviews)

• You get JcPenney store discount (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • and have had 2 district managers already (in 8 reviews)

• The staff at the Central lab seem to not know what they are doing 60% of the time (in 11 reviews)

1. Yikes!

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I was offered a decent starting wage at 15/Hr as the store manager with 38-40 hours. I was told that I could advance easily within the company? 25% JCP Discount

Cons

Communication and technology is horrible. I receive several emails covering the same topic, wasting a lot of time and causing confusion. There is no access to forms, training manuals ect in iFocus. Attempting to communicate with the lab is a joke. It always takes forever to get ahold of them and they always have a nasty attitude. I once waited on hold for 20 minutes! The company loses time and money with the amounts of incorrect jobs received from the lab. I get griped at by my current DM when we have several remakes that are primarily caused by lab errors. I've had 3 DMs in 3 months...

More organization and clarity when delegating tasks to the store front. Better incentives, many are insulting and waste a lot of time. Offer better training- I had no optical experience and I was only given one week of training by another manager. Was told that I would be able to transfer within the company, as I am relocating to a different state. When I asked for an update, I was told, "We'll see when we get closer to when you leave." I was to be moving in 3 weeks. Did they expect me to wait until the day of? Here I am on Glassdoor looking for a decent job located where I'm to be moving.

Even after quitting I feel the negative impact of this company.

Former Employee - Optical Manager
    Former Employee - Optical Manager

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bonuses were good when you earned them. Sales contests lead to many pairs of free eyeglasses. Pay was decent. It was easy to use PTO.

Cons

The company doesn't care about it's employees OR customers. They'll throw partial refunds when people complain enough, but don't actually do anything to improve the system. The lab turnaround time/quality is the top customer complaint, yet they reduce how many days jobs can ship to/from the lab to "save costs." When a complaint escalates to the District Manager, the response is that we have to "find a way to keep our customers happy" while trying to quote a turnaround of 2-3 "business weeks." To the lab this meant 15-21 "business days" or about a month. Try explaining that to a customer!

They "temporarily suspended" the 401k match. They began cutting hours based on sales volume, regardless of simple coverage needs. The bonus program was reduced every year, and one month was randomly changed so that no one earned a decent bonus. The district managers care only about numbers, and choose to focus on whichever number isn't perfect. On a month when a 2 for 99 sale was running and my store was one of two making goal (we ended the month at 20% OVER the sales goal) my district manager's first comment to me was we were last place in the district in one metric. Even making money doesn't please US Vision.

This year I was rid of US Vision and still felt the negative impact of having worked for this company. I was hit with a very large tax bill of just over $1,000. The CPA looked over my W2 and did the math and determined that the reason I owe (and owed every year I was with US Vision) must have been because they weren't deducting the correct amount when commissions and bonus were taken into account. When I started I remember receiving a separate bonus check that had no taxes deducted. Then (just as the first annual bonus plan change/cut was announced) a memo was sent out stating that bonuses would be included in the same check at the first pay period of the month. We assumed because it was in the same check that the correct taxes were being paid. They were not.

I worked for LensCrafters and left. US Vision promotes themselves to opticians as being anti-LensCrafters. The truth is they have done everything LensCrafters did that lost them so many opticians.

Listen to the employees that are on the sales floor. Take care of your customers by taking care of your employees. Drop the LensCrafters play book. "Accounting" should not be making as many decisions as it does. If you continue to refuse to have the lab final inspect your jobs, trust the opticians that would love to tell the customer their glasses are ready instead of having to tell them it's going to be another 2-3 "business weeks."

3. I had a wonderful experience working with USV. I learned a lot, but reasons for separating and associate are questionabl

Former Employee - Manager/Optician
    Former Employee - Manager/Optician

I worked at U.S. Vision

Pros

Freedom under certain field managers to do your job, open to new ideas.

Cons

Ethics: when told to terminate an associate there is not much to go on. Investigations are "supposedly" done but we end up settling in court

Listen to your DM's and Optechs. We are in the field and they make promises fiscally they can't keep.

District manager

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

Great company
    Upper management listens to ideas and concerns.
    Energetic environment
    Associates enjoy going to work

Cons

Haven't had any negative experiences with this company.

Enjoying everyday

Lord help me

Current Employee - Opt Tech in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Opt Tech in Madison, WI

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

discounted eyewear, easy work, competitively priced (relatively)

Cons

old technology, archaic management system, passive aggressive dm and upper mgmt who consider themselves beyond reproach

recognize who are actually making the sales at the store level. have an open door policy for your upper management, upgrade your technology for 2015, you offer product that's a dozen or more years old resulting in customer complaints. find better growth oppty's than washed up host stores that you currently inhabit.

Problematic

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

Good if you don't need to make a living.
    Benefits okay.
    Free lunches monthly.
    Candy.
    Basically you'll be fed a lot.

Cons

Very low paying at every level including management.
    Horror stories about certain executives (one in particular) that are widespread among employees create a sense that job advancements are not given fairly.
    Very poor communication between field and home office and within departments.
    Favoritism DEFINITELY exists.

Familiarity breeds contempt. There is a definite circle among upper management. It is at this point questionable that decisions are being made solely in the companys interest. Perhaps some outside management should be brought in to balance this. Also pay your good people more money to stay on board and stop taking whatever walks in off the streets.

High Pressure Sales

Former Employee - Managing Optician
    Former Employee - Managing Optician

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (less than a year)

Pros

As store manager I was able to take care of things and do a good job without being nit-picked all the time like I was at other optical jobs. It's easy to get a job there.

Cons

Extreme high pressure sales with no company help to increase sales. You were more of a sales person than optician. Conference call every week to force you to sell more options to patients. No developing trust with the customer or doing what's best for patients - just increase sales or your hours were cut & then you were let go. Sales below quota were always your fault, never circumstances, & you had to tell them what you were doing wrong & make up things you would do to fix it.

Realize that patients trust & come back when they feel you are helping them, and run when they think they are a vending machine, just being worked for as much money as you can manipulate out of them. Help the managers rather than making them tell you what they are doing wrong, which is depressing. Provide sales support, such as advertising, and pay the help enough to get some quality.

9. You can't hide from the truth

Current Employee - Accountant in Blackwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Accountant in Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at U.S. Vision

Pros

The location is ideal , away from traffic and congestion. Collecting unemployment won't be difficult their reputation is ruined , nobody would question it.

Cons

Everything, where to begin. Nepotism , old-girl network, yes apparently you have to be female to get promoted. Accounting management entrenched with promoting females because of past jobs , and trying to vindicate here. Not working, sales are plummitting. Company looks like its going to get sold soon or collapse. Lab color codes orders Sears, JCP , gets low end work done and has to wait the longest for orders by design. The company spends a lot of money on trying to stop workers from starting a union. Using threats to stop union shop talk and make people afraid is main objective. Lab techs are not qualified , substituting lab workers with accounting staff, really ???? bookkeepers and Payroll, accounting staff shouldn't be working in the lab! Customer concerns not being taken seriously. The company is a fraud . The vale will soon be off and the rest of the world will know . I hope it stains all who partook in this sham!

Leave while you can. Take the name US Vision off your resume! That name will be as bad as Enron soon!

Good place to start, then go to a better place

Former Employee - LDO in Burlington, NC
    Former Employee - LDO in Burlington, NC

I worked at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Minimal DM interference, at least in my store. Autonomous from BJ warehouse- optical is its own world and BJ general management (again, in my store) leaves you to your own devices if you keep to your own area. BJ staff was very helpful to us, bringing down big tables from break room when we had DFE sales is one example of many. In my store, the BJ "bouncers" would back you up everytime if you had an abusive customer. You have to be pro-active to make the relationship with your own BJ store what it is for good or bad but there will come a time when you need their help. We built a good working relationship. Tech support people at Home Office were tops! Under terrific pressure, they always helped us to get a complex order input correctly. Lisa, Fashionette, Corinne are names I remember being particularly helpful. Give these people a raise, they deserve every dollar.

Cons

DM is stretched thin and don't expect direct help from him. All he cares about is sales, period. Computer crashes, fax problems, store equipment failures are all on you to deal with. If your store is in slow time, you will have to work alone mostly as double-coverage is limited. You will maybe get to work with another person one or two days a week. Also Tech support is not always available during the hours your store is open. The biggest CON is the hours. They lost me because they hired me for full-time then gradually over 3 years time reduced me and every other associate in our district's hours to 29 hours a week. Unacceptable. After I resigned, my DM did offer me a deal where I could travel to another store to get the extra hours to make 40, but by then I'd accepted a job at another retail where they guaranteed 40 hours plus Mondays off and occasional travel for overtime. I would have gone for the DM's deal if it had come sooner.

Stop telling us to put up balloons during designer sale events. Balloons are not f*cking magical and they do not increase sales at all. Our store finally got a helium tank, but then DM started requiring MYLAR balloons. These must be procured on our own time because you can't leave your store unattended to go buy them. DFE sales are stressful enough without more window trimming.

Upper management, you need to get some boots on the ground with us to see what we go through to make and then keep a sale. When a customer has been unreasonably rude to us, stop appeasing them with free stuff that WE have to deliver. You are training the customer to be what they are for good or bad. You routinely roll over and have the attitude that the customer is always right. Come on down here and have a few interactions with some of these crazies we have to deal with and then maybe you'll understand. Also "customer always right" implies that you think your own employees are always wrong. There are some toxic customers who can't be pleased. You give them free stuff, they keep coming back for more, you lose more money. It's called Karma.

11. This company has gone downhill recently.

Current Employee - Managing Optician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Managing Optician in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at U.S. Vision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This can be a good place to work, as long as you have a thick skin. Good benefits and reasonable hours.

Cons

Management has recently decided that advertising should be cut back, causing lower sales, yet they expect results to increase. This leads to tension. Also, no raises in 4 years.

I would like to be able to give some input on frame selection. I aso would like to input on lens selection. I can sell a better quality of product.