U.S. Xpress Reviews

Updated October 25, 2014
2.3

U.S. Xpress Co-Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Max L. Fuller
Max L. Fuller

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Good equipment, some good people (in 4 reviews)

• good equipment, decent pay, hired with no experience, lots of work available to drivers that want it, some of the terminals are pretty nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Same as most big companies; you must fight for your home time and sometimes get ignored by fleet manager (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, especially for someone with much experience (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

You get ahead if you know the right people.

Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities. nice coffee. Nice water fountains. Nice bathrooms. Easy parking, and so That's about it.

Cons

No real support or acknowledgement of what the non-ops related depts contribute. selective application of rules and policies. Personality and reactionary based decision making and leadership. They spend a ton on consulting and finding the prettiest and shiniest new efficiency program (new as in pase about 3 years ago) but still don't try to find out what really works by shadowing and asking their employees what works or what they need.

Look into why your turnover in HR is so high. But you won't. So, good luck in continuing to pretend you don't have a serious issue.

I LOVE this place.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great fleet manager that keeps me rolling in a new truck every 2 years. When I need to get home, they get me there. My pay could be better, but Bill Gates could get paid better too. I get 6-7 k miles a week.

Cons

Don't like when my truck breaks down, but it's been more than a year since I've had any issues. Break down gets the job done as fast as possible.

More communication between office personnel.

Place has went down hill

Current Employee - O/O Driver
    Current Employee - O/O Driver

I have been working at U.S. Xpress as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

at the moment none use to be a great place but not anymore

Cons

all they care about is their self not the driver.
    no pay raise been with them for over 10 years and watched it get worse every year. I work hard and end up paying them for WHAT???????????
    I would not even give 1 star but had no choice.
    Out of the last 8 weeks our truck has been in the shop 6 of them some of it was due to their not so good shops really really oh and if you are an owner leased to them be ready to pay out your butt just saying sad but true
    this really use to be a great company many many many years ago but save yourself time and look for a company that really cares about keeping good drivers. instead of paying all that money for advertising add it to your dependable drivers make them feel like they are part of the company.

you have alot of great drivers that are NEVER late and cover loads from drivers that can't do it, you should PAY all tolls for all drivers and give ALL drivers that are safe and on time big bonuses every month....yes you can afford it..invest in your company i e drivers. everything you do for company drivers should include O/O hello we are here for a reason....we will be leaving do to the hard fact we are not able to pay our bills but don't worry I know it does not affect your bottom line right God Bless

A step backwards in my career.

Former Employee - Corporate in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Corporate in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I learned more about the Transportation industry.

Cons

The culture is negative and draining. Communication is on a as-needed basis, compensation is way below minimum guidelines and the upper management and executive teams are disconnected and refuse to hear/consider any recommendations for improvement.

Lost cause.

Big Mistake with wrong company

Current Employee - OTR Tractor Trailer Driver in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - OTR Tractor Trailer Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their Roadside Breakdown is good because they are worried about the equipment.

Cons

Pay or lack of
    Benefits to expensive
    Care for new drivers
    Training Pay
    Sometimes Lucky if you make $7.00 per hr when you break it down.

They think they got it figured out.......

do you homework, dont believe recruiters

Current Employee - Company Otr Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Company Otr Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

sirius xm radio
    variety of trucks
    opportunities to make side money at terminals
    can take home time anywhere as long as you give a weeks notice

Cons

where do i start? how about the word of this section? CONS. the recruiters loe to you, you get micro managed like a 16 year old on prom night, company and customer constantly want to know where you are and then when you get there, they are "busy". if you want air conditioning, they make you foot the bill for an inverter, prepare to pay 500 bucks in payment form. constantly changing ur pta or projected time of availabilty, e log system is a joke, you have to mash the screen to get it to do anything, and if you need to make a correction on it, prepare to erase all of what you wrote and rewrite it, you get an attitude from the fm's if you try and change your pta. they rip you off, any trip over 500 miles you get bumped down to 17 cents a mile, and it will happen either before or after that milestone has been reached, depending if you pissed off payroll or your fm. the fms are too high strung, mine wasnt but others were. the way you submot your info when you are on your e-log can be confusing because not all the info is on the bill of lading. you cant get a good night sleep because if you are in a truck with no a/c or a manual or both, you have to leave the ignition on either way n the trucks air tanks will lose air and beep you awake. they run you ragged and submitting your trip logs, they make you put more things on the cover sheet than you need to. doesnt always go through either but you wont find that out til pay day, when its too late. if you dont experience ANY of these things, oh and bs miles ans even bigger bs places to drop, then you mustve gotten someone off. Cant wait to leave

reverse all of these cons and maybe you wouldnt have such a high turn arpund rate, n get apus on the trucks, AT LEAST give us that much, hire former drivers n train them as fleet managers, and stop micromanaging our lives, we have enough stress dealing with life on the road and dumb soccermom minivan drivers who dont know how to merge. i cant see you doing that though, so im glad im leaving soon

Neutral

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Im not a truck driver so i didnt do well

Cons

i was a team driver

It sucks

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most drivers I met very nice. Nice trucks if you threaten to quit on them and you run a team. Sorry that's the only good thing about this company.

Cons

8 cents a mile yes 8 cents and no home time. People in dispatch crazy do not know what they are doing

Hope the law catches you

$525 a week take home and was out 8 weeks,

Former Employee - Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Had a Great trainer but was probably lucky to get him. a yr old freightliner .

Cons

dispatch had to call me on my cell to confirm details of all loads, I was on a dedicated Walmart run and only 2500 miles gauranteed. 70 mph truck and loads were disptched at 55mph. I sat every weekend and would get loads to deliver at 3am and would get there 2 hrs ahead of time and still had to sit. Hard to get tires for trailers and would sit at a terminal for days then get a load after being up all day to deliver at 3am

I liked the President, he was a driver, but having to have my dispatcher to call me to confirm the load on my personal cell phone was horrible. and sitting to get live loaded 50% or the time.

Don't waste your time!!! You will never get rewarded for your hard work!!!!

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No reasons to work there!!!!! Absolutely the worst company to work for as a OTR driver!!!!!

Cons

Was working there for half a year as a new driver just out of driving school. Was over the road. Got paid broke down 0.32 cents a mile for all the loads under 500 miles. Any other load over 500 miles got 0.17 cents a mile!!!! What a joke!!! Didn't know any better so kept on going. Was in and out of Texas up to 3 times a week and only got paid 0.17 cents a mile....that was $400 a week!!!!! Hated it!!!! God awful fleet managers! Company don't give a fan about drivers! Horrible!!! Do not work for this company!!!! It is owned by former truck driver....and that's what is sad about it....cuz you would think you would be cared for...but you ain't!!!! Never!!! Now I'm working for Transport America. The best job ever!!!! Love love love!!!! Paychecks are anywhere from $800- $1300 a week!!!!! Not no broke down $400!!! If you are looking for a job....this company really cares about its drivers ....pays good and great benefits!!!!!

Shut it down!!!! The company will go down sooner or later....it doesn't have a chance!!!! Awful company!!!! I advise every driver from US Express to quit ASAP so its not too late for poor drivers who get nothing for their hard work and all the stress!!!! There are so many great companies out there that will really care for them unlike pathetic US EXPRESS!!!!