U.S. Xpress

Updated December 15, 2014
2.5

U.S. Xpress Co-Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Max L. Fuller
Max L. Fuller

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Good equipment, some good people (in 4 reviews)

• good equipment, decent pay, hired with no experience, lots of work available to drivers that want it, some of the terminals are pretty nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Same as most big companies; you must fight for your home time and sometimes get ignored by fleet manager (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, especially for someone with much experience (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training department hands down

Cons

Diversity is needed not just with drivers

Great Company frustrating Job

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Clean work environment nice trucks. Great pay nice view and nice trucks to look at

Cons

Being solo otr and little to no help over the phone but...lol oh and the 10 4 message that dosent mean anything to them cause they just keep on working you

Nothing they do good great job

Nice company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Nice environment, nice people, and nice place

Cons

There aren't no cons

Otr truck driver

I worked at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Lived in the truck so housing was free. Could use heater and air conditioner in the truck while you were sleeping so you could sleep comfortably.

Cons

Always was second guessed as to delivery times. You were asked, each time for your progected delivery time and when you told them they'd say "Why so late?".

Listen to the drivers

O.M.G.

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice trucks, great customers and pay on time

Cons

Lies, lies, lies and more lies... sit all the time. They could care less about you as a person. They control your income either by your miles or rate of pay. Can never succeed there. Dead end job!!!!!!

Stop the lies. Treat your drivers as people and not machines. pay them what they deserve for giving you your job. they lay their lives on the line 24 hours a day, give them respect and you might get some bck

Wishing for better communication

Current Employee - Team Driver in The Dalles, OR
    Current Employee - Team Driver in The Dalles, OR

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay system is very hassle free, good miles if you have a decent FM, very nice trucks, policy that lets me fire and hire new FM's until I am satisfied with who I have to work for, trucks governed at 65.

Cons

Really poor communication in the FM pool, chasing the ever evasive empty trailer, some in the night and weekend FM pool are rude, intolerant and impatient, delivery windows that are unrealistic, FM's lying to drivers just to get them off the phone, the Driver Tech is a great concept, but the navigation part is SO messed up that we have to run our own GPS on the side to really get to where we need to be.

Make your FM people accountable for the way they treat drivers, MONITOR their conversations with your drivers, establish a process for pass-down of information at shift change and hold people accountable for not following the process. Require all FM to do an on-boarding process when hired where they go out and spend 1 week, including 1 weekend, living on a truck. Require it of all existing FM's as well, unless the FM has been a driver previously. This would be very simple to set up and would be instrumental in allowing your FM community to really see and experience what the drivers deal with (many of your FM's treat drivers like they are a bunch of whiny babies). Designate a small group of drivers to be "tour-guides" and bring them around to host an FM on their truck when needed. You also are in serious trouble when it comes to knowing the status and location of your trailers... Trailer searching in it's current form is time consuming, frustrating and it's costing you more money than you think. Also, PLEASE fix the driver tech navigation system. In it's current state, I would say it's broken.

You get ahead if you know the right people.

Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities. nice coffee. Nice water fountains. Nice bathrooms. Easy parking, and so That's about it.

Cons

No real support or acknowledgement of what the non-ops related depts contribute. selective application of rules and policies. Personality and reactionary based decision making and leadership. They spend a ton on consulting and finding the prettiest and shiniest new efficiency program (new as in pase about 3 years ago) but still don't try to find out what really works by shadowing and asking their employees what works or what they need.

Look into why your turnover in HR is so high. But you won't. So, good luck in continuing to pretend you don't have a serious issue.

Worst Company Ever

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No pros. I wish I could give no stars at all.

Cons

Lack of sleep. They will run you to DEATH. Lack of time to deliver. Ridiculous dispatcher. They have all these dispatchers who have no idea the road conditions and traffics. I wish I could give no stars at all.

You are not the only ones that have life. If you have too many accounts and not enough drivers (that's because you don't treat them fairly and they quit), then don't just try to get more accounts. Either your drivers quit or they die and you kill them.

I LOVE this place.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great fleet manager that keeps me rolling in a new truck every 2 years. When I need to get home, they get me there. My pay could be better, but Bill Gates could get paid better too. I get 6-7 k miles a week.

Cons

Don't like when my truck breaks down, but it's been more than a year since I've had any issues. Break down gets the job done as fast as possible.

More communication between office personnel.

Place has went down hill

Current Employee - O/O Driver
    Current Employee - O/O Driver

I have been working at U.S. Xpress as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

at the moment none use to be a great place but not anymore

Cons

all they care about is their self not the driver.
    no pay raise been with them for over 10 years and watched it get worse every year. I work hard and end up paying them for WHAT???????????
    I would not even give 1 star but had no choice.
    Out of the last 8 weeks our truck has been in the shop 6 of them some of it was due to their not so good shops really really oh and if you are an owner leased to them be ready to pay out your butt just saying sad but true
    this really use to be a great company many many many years ago but save yourself time and look for a company that really cares about keeping good drivers. instead of paying all that money for advertising add it to your dependable drivers make them feel like they are part of the company.

you have alot of great drivers that are NEVER late and cover loads from drivers that can't do it, you should PAY all tolls for all drivers and give ALL drivers that are safe and on time big bonuses every month....yes you can afford it..invest in your company i e drivers. everything you do for company drivers should include O/O hello we are here for a reason....we will be leaving do to the hard fact we are not able to pay our bills but don't worry I know it does not affect your bottom line right God Bless