U.S. Xpress

Updated January 22, 2015
2.5

U.S. Xpress Co-Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Max L. Fuller
Max L. Fuller

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Good equipment, some good people (in 4 reviews)

• good equipment, decent pay, hired with no experience, lots of work available to drivers that want it, some of the terminals are pretty nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Same as most big companies; you must fight for your home time and sometimes get ignored by fleet manager (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, especially for someone with much experience (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Dispatcher in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Dispatcher in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training department hands down

Cons

Diversity is needed not just with drivers

Great people but terrible management and policies

Former Employee - Operations in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Operations in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Decent pay but not worth the hassle.

Cons

In Operations, they do not put you in a place to succeed. Keep over cramming the system with freight and expect you to make it happen. They then tell you if you can't do it, they'll get someone who will. Training is non-existent. They show you the basics of a new program then tell you to "work with it" once you're on the job.

They don't care about the people, only the weekly revenue.

Train people more, and treat them like human beings. Stop with the threats if they can't pound ten pounds of crap in a five pound sack!

Great Company frustrating Job

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Clean work environment nice trucks. Great pay nice view and nice trucks to look at

Cons

Being solo otr and little to no help over the phone but...lol oh and the 10 4 message that dosent mean anything to them cause they just keep on working you

Nothing they do good great job

Nice company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Nice environment, nice people, and nice place

Cons

There aren't no cons

Otr truck driver

I worked at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Lived in the truck so housing was free. Could use heater and air conditioner in the truck while you were sleeping so you could sleep comfortably.

Cons

Always was second guessed as to delivery times. You were asked, each time for your progected delivery time and when you told them they'd say "Why so late?".

Listen to the drivers

Areas for improvement

Current Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the largest fleets in the United States so we receive preferential treatment from most vendors. Our trucks are traded in after 3-4 years.

Cons

Poor communication. Management has an "us vs. them" mentality, meaning most of the people doing the work are rarely involved with decision making. No driver accountability. No opportunity to advance career. No raises, cost of living or otherwise.

Wishing for better communication

Current Employee - Team Driver in The Dalles, OR
    Current Employee - Team Driver in The Dalles, OR

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay system is very hassle free, good miles if you have a decent FM, very nice trucks, policy that lets me fire and hire new FM's until I am satisfied with who I have to work for, trucks governed at 65.

Cons

Really poor communication in the FM pool, chasing the ever evasive empty trailer, some in the night and weekend FM pool are rude, intolerant and impatient, delivery windows that are unrealistic, FM's lying to drivers just to get them off the phone, the Driver Tech is a great concept, but the navigation part is SO messed up that we have to run our own GPS on the side to really get to where we need to be.

Make your FM people accountable for the way they treat drivers, MONITOR their conversations with your drivers, establish a process for pass-down of information at shift change and hold people accountable for not following the process. Require all FM to do an on-boarding process when hired where they go out and spend 1 week, including 1 weekend, living on a truck. Require it of all existing FM's as well, unless the FM has been a driver previously. This would be very simple to set up and would be instrumental in allowing your FM community to really see and experience what the drivers deal with (many of your FM's treat drivers like they are a bunch of whiny babies). Designate a small group of drivers to be "tour-guides" and bring them around to host an FM on their truck when needed. You also are in serious trouble when it comes to knowing the status and location of your trailers... Trailer searching in it's current form is time consuming, frustrating and it's costing you more money than you think. Also, PLEASE fix the driver tech navigation system. In it's current state, I would say it's broken.

Please read before you consider working at Us Xpress.

Former Employee - Dedicated Route (Indiana - Walmart) in Auburn, IN
    Former Employee - Dedicated Route (Indiana - Walmart) in Auburn, IN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One pro was I was always moving, I did my route for the day, slept, then woke up for the next one. The pay was less then advertised; but pay stub easy to understand, and no hidden fees. You will get part of your bonus but only after asking for it multiple times.

Cons

no respect, dirty trucks, load before life, rude management They don't care if you can't see the road, the load is more important. It could be a white out or blizzard you must push on. If you don't expect to get yelled at. If your too tired to drive because the weather fatigued you, expect to get yelled at. Their motto is the load before your life in Auburn , IN. My first truck was so nasty i got very sick. My second truck was just as bad, but no pet dander. I had to clean both. They would not let me go back OTR or switch accounts. Must have at least a 6month lease signed before they pay you your second bonus.

Don't lie to me! If you advertise a certain pay, home time, or job description stay true to that. It's in writing and most driver's will expect you to be honest. Clean the trucks before you give them to new drivers. If I'm moving across the country the last thing I want to do is clean out the last person's mess. You guys didn't even give me the supplies to clean it. Be honest about home time. If the job is local and I'm supposed to be home make sure I'm on a route where I can be home. I don't want to sleep in Walmart parking lots. Clean your showers! Look at them Auburn, do you want to shower there?! Don't yell at the drivers, we are not children. Treat us with the respect we deserve. Don't ask me to do something you wouldn't do. Why should we risk our lives driving through white outs, blizzards? Don't withhold pay or bonuses to try and force your drivers to stay. If you have a good company they are going to stay.

O.M.G.

Former Employee - OTR Driver
    Former Employee - OTR Driver

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice trucks, great customers and pay on time

Cons

Lies, lies, lies and more lies... sit all the time. They could care less about you as a person. They control your income either by your miles or rate of pay. Can never succeed there. Dead end job!!!!!!

Stop the lies. Treat your drivers as people and not machines. pay them what they deserve for giving you your job. they lay their lives on the line 24 hours a day, give them respect and you might get some bck

You get ahead if you know the right people.

Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Department in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice facilities. nice coffee. Nice water fountains. Nice bathrooms. Easy parking, and so That's about it.

Cons

No real support or acknowledgement of what the non-ops related depts contribute. selective application of rules and policies. Personality and reactionary based decision making and leadership. They spend a ton on consulting and finding the prettiest and shiniest new efficiency program (new as in pase about 3 years ago) but still don't try to find out what really works by shadowing and asking their employees what works or what they need.

Look into why your turnover in HR is so high. But you won't. So, good luck in continuing to pretend you don't have a serious issue.