U.S. Xpress Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
U.S. Xpress Co-Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Max L. Fuller
Max L. Fuller

Pros
  • when u need home time they did what they could to get u there and and they alway kept u running (in 3 reviews)

• This company DOES care and really listens to it's drivers to help them improve (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Forget about home time when team driving (in 4 reviews)

• Low pay in comparison to the national average (in 4 reviews)

1. NE REGIONAL TRUCK DRIVER

Current Employee - Truck Driver/Delivery in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Truck Driver/Delivery in Hartford, CT

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good starter company, new hire .33cpm, Will get miles If available, Good benefits/insurance

Cons

Breakdown/layover pay $50day(24hr increments), hometime off schedule.

Advice to Management

Need better equipment, Need to work better at getting drivers home.

Great company

Current Employee - Team Driver in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Team Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having an awesome fleet manager makes a huge difference. First fleet manager couldn't get us home on time if his life depended on it. Since we switched, we've gotten lucky. Our fm truly does appreciate us, gets us great miles, and gets us home usually the night before we requested to be home. New trucks are also a plus.

Cons

So far in my first year with this company, the only downside I have seen is again, my first fleet manager. Secondly, they have some major improvements they need to make at the terminal shops. The wait time to get your truck serviced is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Fix the hold times with breakdown, and let's get these trucks rolling sooner out of the shops in the terminals. Other than that, keep up the great work.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, great benefits, and people to work with. The training program is nice as well.

Cons

None at this time the company is a great place to work in the area. It is hard to find a job that pays decent in this area.

Advice to Management

Annual raises would be a great motivation tool.

5. Poor Management

Pros

Good pay if you are a go getter.

Cons

Manager and dispatchers need a lot of employee training.

Advice to Management

Get rid of manager and some of the dispatchers and make sure new ones have good employee relationship skills.

Good experience at US Xpress

Former Employee - First Seat Lead Driver in San Leandro, CA
    Former Employee - First Seat Lead Driver in San Leandro, CA

I worked at U.S. Xpress (More than a year)

Pros

We roll hard, and keep the truck moving. Deliver on time, pickup on time, and keep the safety and log book correct at all times. US Xpress kept us rolling, were responsive to our special requests, had good equipment, and I would work for them again.

Cons

If you just want to "relax" and get paid for little work, look somewhere else, you don't belong in the trucking industry. If you like to roll hard, take care of yourself, your freight, your truck, and your CDL, then you will have no worries here. Other than that, I hope they have figured out a better way to allocate empty trailers.

Advice to Management

I hope they have figured out a better way to allocate empty trailers.

7. Taking Advantage of New Truck Drivers since 1980s

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OH

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time

Pros

Will employ a new driver

Cons

1.) There are DAYS of wait time between school, orientation, trainer assignment, and your first load that are UNPAID. 2.) After taking into consideration the many, many tasks (that are not disclosed to you prior to employment) a driver has to perform UNPAID, the new driver makes less than Federal Minimum Wage. 3.) US Express advances new drivers $50 a week, AFTER you are settled in your truck. This is not enough to cover expenses the driver must pay cash for. i.e. weight tickets for 7 days and small repairs to the truck. a.) If a driver has a garnishment, bill or child support, US Express will not advance the full $50 a week. 4.) Orientation: You are NOT an employee of US EXPRESS in orientation. They take care to express that and make you sign documents to that effect. a.) They say you are paid $60 a day in orientation. This is a untrue. You are paid $60 total for 3 days of orientation. b.) The only meal provided is lunch. You are given nothing else the entire time. c.) If they choose to not hire you, you will not be compensated AT ALL for your time. d.) If your truck or trainer is not at the terminal, you may well be given a Greyhound ticket and be forced to take a bus to some far away city. When you get there, you are expected to pay for a cab out of pocket to get to the truck. Hopefully, its there. e.) No matter how small of a hiccup you may have in your background, you are at orientation UNPAID until they choose to release you. i. If there are any hiccups in your background, you will have repetitive conversations with the same group of people. Communication is not easy here. g.) US Express forces drivers to share a room with another driver..a complete stranger.

Advice to Management

Read this. Critically evaluate the info.

8. Poor management

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time

Pros

Team driving can make some good money with the right teammate

Cons

Mandatory teaming if your from Texas. Will pair you with whomever and if you have a problem with the team your pulled from the truck stuck home until they find you a new partner!

there are better companies out there

Current Employee - OTR Tractor Trailer Driver in Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - OTR Tractor Trailer Driver in Springfield, OH

Pros

Good fo in the terminals. Randy gribble out of tunnel hill is amazing and very friendly. Quick shops at certain terminals.

Cons

Lot of the fm's are slackers on a power trip. I don't mind you being a d' bag on your time. Don't do it to your fleet and no holiday pay AT ALL.

Advice to Management

You need to make your fm's go out with a driver for at least a month so they know what we go through on a daily basis.

10. my department, switchboard, is great.

I have been working at U.S. Xpress part-time

Pros

good coworkers, understanding direct supervisor

Cons

some other departments aren't helpful.

Advice to Management

encourage all employees to do their job correctly.

Thus company is ok

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Newton, NC
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Newton, NC

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New trucks 2014-2015. Company is strict on DOT regulations. Never had a issue with home time but that changes worth each dispatch person.

Cons

Being a truck driver in general is not easy. We have no labor laws that protect us from unfair treatment or minimum wage laws to protect our pay if dispatch screws up so that being said if you can't handle a beating don't work here. You need a 9-5 office job.

Advice to Management

There needs to be more accountability on the dispatch level/mgmt level and stop blaming drivers. Your main excuse for everything is "well your the professional" lame...

RSS Feed </> Embed