U.S. Xpress Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
2.4

U.S. Xpress Co-Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Max L. Fuller
Max L. Fuller

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Good equipment, some good people (in 4 reviews)

• good equipment, decent pay, hired with no experience, lots of work available to drivers that want it, some of the terminals are pretty nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Very low pay, especially for someone with much experience (in 4 reviews)

• I'm sorry, but I won't drive for a company that does that to Drivers (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Neutral

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Im not a truck driver so i didnt do well

Cons

i was a team driver

It sucks

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver  in  Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most drivers I met very nice. Nice trucks if you threaten to quit on them and you run a team. Sorry that's the only good thing about this company.

Cons

8 cents a mile yes 8 cents and no home time. People in dispatch crazy do not know what they are doing

Hope the law catches you

$525 a week take home and was out 8 weeks,

Former Employee - Driver  in  Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Had a Great trainer but was probably lucky to get him. a yr old freightliner .

Cons

dispatch had to call me on my cell to confirm details of all loads, I was on a dedicated Walmart run and only 2500 miles gauranteed. 70 mph truck and loads were disptched at 55mph. I sat every weekend and would get loads to deliver at 3am and would get there 2 hrs ahead of time and still had to sit. Hard to get tires for trailers and would sit at a terminal for days then get a load after being up all day to deliver at 3am

I liked the President, he was a driver, but having to have my dispatcher to call me to confirm the load on my personal cell phone was horrible. and sitting to get live loaded 50% or the time.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't waste your time!!! You will never get rewarded for your hard work!!!!

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

No reasons to work there!!!!! Absolutely the worst company to work for as a OTR driver!!!!!

Cons

Was working there for half a year as a new driver just out of driving school. Was over the road. Got paid broke down 0.32 cents a mile for all the loads under 500 miles. Any other load over 500 miles got 0.17 cents a mile!!!! What a joke!!! Didn't know any better so kept on going. Was in and out of Texas up to 3 times a week and only got paid 0.17 cents a mile....that was $400 a week!!!!! Hated it!!!! God awful fleet managers! Company don't give a fan about drivers! Horrible!!! Do not work for this company!!!! It is owned by former truck driver....and that's what is sad about it....cuz you would think you would be cared for...but you ain't!!!! Never!!! Now I'm working for Transport America. The best job ever!!!! Love love love!!!! Paychecks are anywhere from $800- $1300 a week!!!!! Not no broke down $400!!! If you are looking for a job....this company really cares about its drivers ....pays good and great benefits!!!!!

Shut it down!!!! The company will go down sooner or later....it doesn't have a chance!!!! Awful company!!!! I advise every driver from US Express to quit ASAP so its not too late for poor drivers who get nothing for their hard work and all the stress!!!! There are so many great companies out there that will really care for them unlike pathetic US EXPRESS!!!!

get it in writing

Former Employee - Dedicated Regional Dollar General  in  Marion, IN
    Former Employee - Dedicated Regional Dollar General in Marion, IN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

? money.... to get started in the industry

Cons

misinformation , short paychecks , poor scheduling , recruiters lie, managers lie

treat your drivers better

Employees are dispensable and never receive raises.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The buildings and facilities are very nice and clean. The Highway to Health program is great and the company offers several exercise class options at no cost to its employees. You get to meet and work with a lot of different people because the company is so large.

Cons

The company is notorious for doing layoffs right before the holidays. Getting a raise is unheard of and most people currently working there probably couldn't recall the last time they received a raise there. You get worked like dogs but don't get paid enough to compensate for it. They pay their employees as little as they possibly can. Health insurance is awful. Hospital deductibles are insanely high. Most prescriptions require prior authorization every year which is incredibly inconvenient and delays getting your prescriptions by normally a week regardless of when you NEED them. Most managers are awful to their subordinates and treat them like they are inferior, stupid, and worthless. Not joking. A lot of favoritism and company politics.

Make the management training classes mandatory and maybe even let employees do reviews on their own managers because the only way for a subordinate to be heard is to make a case to HR which isn't always necessary. Be more respectful to employees. Show your employees you actually care about them and a good idea of a place to start is to stop doing layoffs right before the holidays.

Overall good employer! Good pay, Good Benefits

Current Employee - Tractor Tech II  in  Shippensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Tractor Tech II in Shippensburg, PA

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than a year

Pros

New Equipment, Trucks are only a couple years old. Shop manager is pretty cool. Benefits are good. They offer tuition reimbursement for certifications. They have automatic increases in pay the first 3 years.

Cons

Shifts could be worked out a little better. The only way to move up is if someone leaves or gets promoted. Not a whole lot of bad things to say about it. It pays the bills!

Offer paid vacation up front would be nice. At least one week up front. Clear defined path for advancement. More information about the status of the company.

Wish I could go back.

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Irving, TX

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than a year

Pros

Made great miles, modern equipment with the small extras included. Good number of terminals with lots of amenities. Beautiful terminals; Tunnel HIll, GA, Irving,TX, Olive Branch, MS, Springfield IN, Fontana, CA was decent.

Cons

Same as most big companies; you must fight for your home time and sometimes get ignored by fleet manager.
    Mismanaged and one manager told me she was x amount of a great trucker. Was told how to run my hours of service.

Listen to a driver when they complain about a fleet manager.

Will never win "Best Company to Work For" in any state. Unless you're a driver, you don't matter.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable hours. That's it. No other pro's really since pay is poor and hours are long.

Cons

Offer bonuses, then pull them without telling anyone. No raises, ever, for any reason. No incentives programs at all, except for a single $400 for the health program. No recognition for good work, but will jump on you quickly for slipping up. Unless you're a driver, you don't matter.

At least find some form of bonus or incentive program for your employees. Then keep it. Communication is poor and vastly needs to improve. You need drivers, but you need to keep the employees who support them happy or you'll just lose more drivers and cost yourself more money.

good...eye opener

Former Employee - Company Driver  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Company Driver in New York, NY

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

lots of runs, solid work...,plenty terminals, pay is good, love fuel stops.. flying j and pilot.....fuel cards work.. direct deposit worked good & truck was great 2011 freightliner no issues ...kevin ackins is the best in the fleet always got a trailer for me good D.M.... very good place to work no hassles or big brother watching feel..

Cons

safety treat you as a unfit fool....u miss 3-7 pre trips in a log book you are in danger for being put in time out...but you know u pre tripped your truck just forgot to do it on the log...we need more Volvos the road is our home for 28 days so plz give us a home style truck... Volvo vnl780 ......also please fix the trailers 3 out of 10 are out dated and are in bad shape.. it is not our fault if we get pulled over cuz the trailer bad.. take it out of service d.o.t is watching...

doing a good job ..but... stop being so anal about csa scores....the driver are not out to screw you....sumtime we get bad D.O.T officers.... if a driver calls in and say ( im tired...leave him be...I almost crashed because weekend dispatch wanted me to drive when I was sleepy) lucky I got skillz and didn't kill anyone

Worked for U.S. Xpress? Contribute to the Community!