U.S. Xpress Reviews

Updated September 27, 2014
2.6

U.S. Xpress Co-Chairman, CEO, and Secretary Max L. Fuller
Max L. Fuller

Pros
  • Decent Pay, Good equipment, some good people (in 4 reviews)

• good equipment, decent pay, hired with no experience, lots of work available to drivers that want it, some of the terminals are pretty nice (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Same as most big companies; you must fight for your home time and sometimes get ignored by fleet manager (in 4 reviews)

• Very low pay, especially for someone with much experience (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I LOVE this place.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great fleet manager that keeps me rolling in a new truck every 2 years. When I need to get home, they get me there. My pay could be better, but Bill Gates could get paid better too. I get 6-7 k miles a week.

Cons

Don't like when my truck breaks down, but it's been more than a year since I've had any issues. Break down gets the job done as fast as possible.

More communication between office personnel.

do you homework, dont believe recruiters

Current Employee - Company Otr Driver  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Company Otr Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

sirius xm radio
    variety of trucks
    opportunities to make side money at terminals
    can take home time anywhere as long as you give a weeks notice

Cons

where do i start? how about the word of this section? CONS. the recruiters loe to you, you get micro managed like a 16 year old on prom night, company and customer constantly want to know where you are and then when you get there, they are "busy". if you want air conditioning, they make you foot the bill for an inverter, prepare to pay 500 bucks in payment form. constantly changing ur pta or projected time of availabilty, e log system is a joke, you have to mash the screen to get it to do anything, and if you need to make a correction on it, prepare to erase all of what you wrote and rewrite it, you get an attitude from the fm's if you try and change your pta. they rip you off, any trip over 500 miles you get bumped down to 17 cents a mile, and it will happen either before or after that milestone has been reached, depending if you pissed off payroll or your fm. the fms are too high strung, mine wasnt but others were. the way you submot your info when you are on your e-log can be confusing because not all the info is on the bill of lading. you cant get a good night sleep because if you are in a truck with no a/c or a manual or both, you have to leave the ignition on either way n the trucks air tanks will lose air and beep you awake. they run you ragged and submitting your trip logs, they make you put more things on the cover sheet than you need to. doesnt always go through either but you wont find that out til pay day, when its too late. if you dont experience ANY of these things, oh and bs miles ans even bigger bs places to drop, then you mustve gotten someone off. Cant wait to leave

reverse all of these cons and maybe you wouldnt have such a high turn arpund rate, n get apus on the trucks, AT LEAST give us that much, hire former drivers n train them as fleet managers, and stop micromanaging our lives, we have enough stress dealing with life on the road and dumb soccermom minivan drivers who dont know how to merge. i cant see you doing that though, so im glad im leaving soon

Neutral

I have been working at U.S. Xpress

Pros

Im not a truck driver so i didnt do well

Cons

i was a team driver

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It sucks

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver  in  Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

Most drivers I met very nice. Nice trucks if you threaten to quit on them and you run a team. Sorry that's the only good thing about this company.

Cons

8 cents a mile yes 8 cents and no home time. People in dispatch crazy do not know what they are doing

Hope the law catches you

$525 a week take home and was out 8 weeks,

Former Employee - Driver  in  Tunnel Hill, GA
    Former Employee - Driver in Tunnel Hill, GA

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Had a Great trainer but was probably lucky to get him. a yr old freightliner .

Cons

dispatch had to call me on my cell to confirm details of all loads, I was on a dedicated Walmart run and only 2500 miles gauranteed. 70 mph truck and loads were disptched at 55mph. I sat every weekend and would get loads to deliver at 3am and would get there 2 hrs ahead of time and still had to sit. Hard to get tires for trailers and would sit at a terminal for days then get a load after being up all day to deliver at 3am

I liked the President, he was a driver, but having to have my dispatcher to call me to confirm the load on my personal cell phone was horrible. and sitting to get live loaded 50% or the time.

Don't waste your time!!! You will never get rewarded for your hard work!!!!

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

No reasons to work there!!!!! Absolutely the worst company to work for as a OTR driver!!!!!

Cons

Was working there for half a year as a new driver just out of driving school. Was over the road. Got paid broke down 0.32 cents a mile for all the loads under 500 miles. Any other load over 500 miles got 0.17 cents a mile!!!! What a joke!!! Didn't know any better so kept on going. Was in and out of Texas up to 3 times a week and only got paid 0.17 cents a mile....that was $400 a week!!!!! Hated it!!!! God awful fleet managers! Company don't give a fan about drivers! Horrible!!! Do not work for this company!!!! It is owned by former truck driver....and that's what is sad about it....cuz you would think you would be cared for...but you ain't!!!! Never!!! Now I'm working for Transport America. The best job ever!!!! Love love love!!!! Paychecks are anywhere from $800- $1300 a week!!!!! Not no broke down $400!!! If you are looking for a job....this company really cares about its drivers ....pays good and great benefits!!!!!

Shut it down!!!! The company will go down sooner or later....it doesn't have a chance!!!! Awful company!!!! I advise every driver from US Express to quit ASAP so its not too late for poor drivers who get nothing for their hard work and all the stress!!!! There are so many great companies out there that will really care for them unlike pathetic US EXPRESS!!!!

Overall good employer! Good pay, Good Benefits

Current Employee - Tractor Tech II  in  Shippensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Tractor Tech II in Shippensburg, PA

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than a year

Pros

New Equipment, Trucks are only a couple years old. Shop manager is pretty cool. Benefits are good. They offer tuition reimbursement for certifications. They have automatic increases in pay the first 3 years.

Cons

Shifts could be worked out a little better. The only way to move up is if someone leaves or gets promoted. Not a whole lot of bad things to say about it. It pays the bills!

Offer paid vacation up front would be nice. At least one week up front. Clear defined path for advancement. More information about the status of the company.

Employees are dispensable and never receive raises.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The buildings and facilities are very nice and clean. The Highway to Health program is great and the company offers several exercise class options at no cost to its employees. You get to meet and work with a lot of different people because the company is so large.

Cons

The company is notorious for doing layoffs right before the holidays. Getting a raise is unheard of and most people currently working there probably couldn't recall the last time they received a raise there. You get worked like dogs but don't get paid enough to compensate for it. They pay their employees as little as they possibly can. Health insurance is awful. Hospital deductibles are insanely high. Most prescriptions require prior authorization every year which is incredibly inconvenient and delays getting your prescriptions by normally a week regardless of when you NEED them. Most managers are awful to their subordinates and treat them like they are inferior, stupid, and worthless. Not joking. A lot of favoritism and company politics.

Make the management training classes mandatory and maybe even let employees do reviews on their own managers because the only way for a subordinate to be heard is to make a case to HR which isn't always necessary. Be more respectful to employees. Show your employees you actually care about them and a good idea of a place to start is to stop doing layoffs right before the holidays.

Will never win "Best Company to Work For" in any state. Unless you're a driver, you don't matter.

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Springfield, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Springfield, OH

I have been working at U.S. Xpress full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable hours. That's it. No other pro's really since pay is poor and hours are long.

Cons

Offer bonuses, then pull them without telling anyone. No raises, ever, for any reason. No incentives programs at all, except for a single $400 for the health program. No recognition for good work, but will jump on you quickly for slipping up. Unless you're a driver, you don't matter.

At least find some form of bonus or incentive program for your employees. Then keep it. Communication is poor and vastly needs to improve. You need drivers, but you need to keep the employees who support them happy or you'll just lose more drivers and cost yourself more money.

get it in writing

Former Employee - Dedicated Regional Dollar General  in  Marion, IN
    Former Employee - Dedicated Regional Dollar General in Marion, IN

I worked at U.S. Xpress full-time for less than a year

Pros

? money.... to get started in the industry

Cons

misinformation , short paychecks , poor scheduling , recruiters lie, managers lie

treat your drivers better

Worked for U.S. Xpress? Contribute to the Community!