UAB Medicine

UAB Medicine Reviews

Updated February 19, 2015
Updated February 19, 2015
3.5

UAB Medicine CEO Will Ferniany, Ph.D.
Will Ferniany, Ph.D.

Good employer, but their budget cuts have left employees feeling neglected: no bonus, no raise, no shift diff, etc.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Critical Care in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Critical Care in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Steady employment, participating in cutting-edge research, high tech equipment, high standard of practice and care

Cons

Attendance policy only allows 3 calls-ins per year, which I feel is very unrealistic

Treat your employees with the same "Core Values" you pride yourself on for patient care.

Top execs pay themselves fat bonuses while the people who do all the work are denied raises

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Free education at UAB for full-timers

Cons

Top execs pay themselves fat bonuses using taxpayer money while the people who do all the work--Nurses, PCTs, Dietary, Environmental are denied raises, bonuses, and have pay incentives like shift differential decreased or eliminated (no more charge nurse pay). Letter from CEOs stated that this "trimming of the fat" was due to changes in Medicare reimbursement, blaming the federal government, in not so many words they want you to think it's all Obama's fault that you're not getting a raise. However there is new equipment everywhere that must have cost multi-millions--a new medication automation system Omnicell (got rid of Pyxis), new label maker system, new copiers/fax machines, you can see the money spent everywhere, and to top if off, our CNO, Terri Poe, paid herself $63,000 bonus in December 2014, while nurses had paycheck cuts and no raises, no bonuses. They issue "zero tolerance" policy for certain policies/procedures without the adequate education and resources, and nurses have been suspended and fired (from UAB's ER especially). Forget about asking questions regarding the policies, if you ask questions because you need clarification, you get told that you will be written up for insubordination (true story). As a cherry on top, they make drastic strict changes to the attendance policy, only allowing 3 call-ins and after 5 call-ins an employee can be terminated regardless of the reason for the call-ins. Most CEOs, nurse managers/directors/supervisors, nurse practitioners/clinicians, and physicians want you to do what they say and ask no questions, even if policies are unclear or orders endanger patients' lives. I have worked at other Magnet hospitals and this is the worst, falsely designated Magnet hospital, I have ever worked at. There is NO empowerment of nurses. Forget about a non-punitive environment for reporting medications errors--a quality of Magnet hospitals. Don't you dare make a med error, it will go to the top execs and they will want you fired. UAB does not care about those that do all the hard work. Nurses are not a vital member of the healthcare team, management, execs and MDs want you to do what they say without any question. Poorly performing nurse managers take all the credit for the hard work of the nurses and PCTs. UAB pays some of the lowest salaries in the state for RNs, acting as if everyone should want to work there since they are the only Magnet hospital, the pay is pitiful. The only nurses left are the ones who are hanging on to their TRS retirement which is no longer offered to new employees. So many good nurses have quit in the last few months because they are fed-up. I'm one of them, leaving was the best decision of my life!

Respect and pay pay pay those that do the hard work, RNs, PCTs, Dietary, Environmental. Without them UAB would crumble.

Nice place

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable pay

Cons

It's a large hospital so rmolyee parking is a hassle

Uab Is a great employer

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Great benefits flexible schedule great managers

Cons

There are no cons I can think of

ruined my career

Former Employee - Nursing School
    Former Employee - Nursing School

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

none except for the people that I made friends with and worked with closely

Cons

the hospital administrators and the lower level management teams have a serious issue with forgetting that they are not in junior high school anymore and literally will bully you till you quit or until they make a bogus report to the nursing board about you.

get entirely new management,as far as lower middle management, you should require adequate in easily proven proof before a nurse manager is allowed to make you complain to the Nursing Board regarding your license.that was all that had to be done and I never would have had one made against mine. 16 years with no problems until I work for these people.

UAB in a nutshell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, Benefits, Exposure, Networking

Cons

Pay compaired to smaller employers
    Patient volume

Be aware of internal buddy system amongst department managers

Not bad, but not the best

Former Employee - HIM Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - HIM Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its a 1200 bed facility lots to learn and its a research hospital. I liked that.

Cons

My schedule had conflicts that couldn't be resolved

Always be kind and courteous to your employees

Great Places to be

Current Employee - Decision Support Analyst in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Decision Support Analyst in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Full tuition assistance
    Flexible schedule
    Lots of vacation time

Cons

Politics
    Salary
    Career Progression
    Small town if used to big city

Nice place to work, but needs some improvement

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Great health insurance and paid time off.

Cons

No salary increase this year. Budget is tight thanks to Obama

Work on employee satisfaction. Yearly raise would be nice.

Good place

Current Employee - RN At UAB in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - RN At UAB in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had a great experience at UAB. It is a magnet hospital, so I felt like things were automatically done the right way. Plenty of residents and doctors nearby willing and ready to help. All the supplies and technology are at hand so that you can readily and easily take care of your patient. The last unit I worked on came by and asked me every month what was working and not working for me and any people I would like to recognize. I thought that was great. There are also many departments within UAB for a wide variety of job choices. Lower pay than some hospitals.

Cons

Parking is expensive. Sometimes they require you to be on committees, etc which is hard for people like me who simply want to work hard and go home. I felt pressured to be involved as if there were consequences if I didn't.

Keep up the good work. Try to take more time to listen to the people actually working on the floor day to day on how to improve the hospital. Often I felt the people in the office were making the decisions without understanding the implications they caused on the floors.