UAB Medicine Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
3.4
UAB Medicine CEO Will Ferniany, Ph.D.
Will Ferniany, Ph.D.

1. Good company

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved my co-workers; Decent nurse-patient ratio

Cons

Very poor pay; management on some floors was horrible

Advice to Management

please value your employees more, and recognize them for the hard work that they do

2. UAB Medicine

Current Employee - Medical Information Coder
    Current Employee - Medical Information Coder

I have been working at UAB Medicine (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, great benefits, good pay.

Cons

I haven't found any yet.

3. Patient Navigator

Current Employee - Patient Navigator
    Current Employee - Patient Navigator

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Awesome Place to work and great leadership

Cons

No raises given in the last five years

Advice to Management

raises needed

Horrible

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

The patients were the best part.

Cons

Management made up their own rules and showed favoritism. It felt like high school.

6. UAB HSIS

Former Employee - Information Technologist in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Information Technologist in Montgomery, AL

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

There are some very good people working at UAB. They keep the organization functioning in spite of Upper-level management.

Cons

On one can make a decision. No leadership at the top, no guidance is given, so no one wants to make a decision. There seem to be a lot of little power struggles within small domains of influence. Crisis management. If you make the wrong person mad or expose issues (security) that make someone else look bad you will be the one that gets fired.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair or Quit

7. Great for older folks...not so great for younger (unless you're here for the free tuition)!

I have been working at UAB Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health and tuition benefits. This is really THE reason to work here! But if you have a spouse that has good health and tuition (if you need it) benefits from their job you can probably be happier elsewhere...

Cons

Salary - very stingy with raises for the worker bees.
    Parking - expensive and long waiting list to get into the close decks, but fortunately remote parking has greatly improved over the years.
    Lots of cliques so difficult to get ahead/promotions without brown nosing.

They don't seem to take many chances on folks in their 30's, I've interviewed for transfer positions and almost always see that they ended up hiring someone age 50+; great for them (no age discrimination) but not so great for younger folks looking to make changes in their career.

Advice to Management

Senior management is wonderful - keep up the good work! But pull aside the "low men on the totem pole" and ask if the people they report to (your lower management) reflect the core values; most often they do not.

8. Constantly changing policies. Very unsteady management in medical division.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Birmingham, AL

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great education benefits. Good opportunity for new nurses.

Cons

They overwork staff and raises are rare no a days.

Short-term stay at the position

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

I was given an opportunity for an in person training sessions.

Cons

I did seem to get enough feedback about what they were happy or dislike about my performance. It felt like if you did not perform at %110 from day one, it was like you were the pedestal to be eliminated from that job. Also, the communication from the various departments was hard, since everyone felt like an island and was unwilling to give out the information.

10. Top execs pay themselves fat bonuses while the people who do all the work are denied raises

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free education at UAB for full-timers

Cons

Top execs pay themselves fat bonuses using taxpayer money while the people who do all the work--Nurses, PCTs, Dietary, Environmental are denied raises, bonuses, and have pay incentives like shift differential decreased or eliminated (no more charge nurse pay). Letter from CEOs stated that this "trimming of the fat" was due to changes in Medicare reimbursement, blaming the federal government, in not so many words they want you to think it's all Obama's fault that you're not getting a raise. However there is new equipment everywhere that must have cost multi-millions--a new medication automation system Omnicell (got rid of Pyxis), new label maker system, new copiers/fax machines, you can see the money spent everywhere, and to top if off, our CNO, Terri Poe, paid herself $63,000 bonus in December 2014, while nurses had paycheck cuts and no raises, no bonuses. They issue "zero tolerance" policy for certain policies/procedures without the adequate education and resources, and nurses have been suspended and fired (from UAB's ER especially). Forget about asking questions regarding the policies, if you ask questions because you need clarification, you get told that you will be written up for insubordination (true story). As a cherry on top, they make drastic strict changes to the attendance policy, only allowing 3 call-ins and after 5 call-ins an employee can be terminated regardless of the reason for the call-ins. Most CEOs, nurse managers/directors/supervisors, nurse practitioners/clinicians, and physicians want you to do what they say and ask no questions, even if policies are unclear or orders endanger patients' lives. I have worked at other Magnet hospitals and this is the worst, falsely designated Magnet hospital, I have ever worked at. There is NO empowerment of nurses. Forget about a non-punitive environment for reporting medications errors--a quality of Magnet hospitals. Don't you dare make a med error, it will go to the top execs and they will want you fired. UAB does not care about those that do all the hard work. Nurses are not a vital member of the healthcare team, management, execs and MDs want you to do what they say without any question. Poorly performing nurse managers take all the credit for the hard work of the nurses and PCTs. UAB pays some of the lowest salaries in the state for RNs, acting as if everyone should want to work there since they are the only Magnet hospital, the pay is pitiful. The only nurses left are the ones who are hanging on to their TRS retirement which is no longer offered to new employees. So many good nurses have quit in the last few months because they are fed-up. I'm one of them, leaving was the best decision of my life!

Advice to Management

Respect and pay pay pay those that do the hard work, RNs, PCTs, Dietary, Environmental. Without them UAB would crumble.

11. Good employer, but their budget cuts have left employees feeling neglected: no bonus, no raise, no shift diff, etc.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Critical Care in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Critical Care in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Steady employment, participating in cutting-edge research, high tech equipment, high standard of practice and care

Cons

Attendance policy only allows 3 calls-ins per year, which I feel is very unrealistic

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the same "Core Values" you pride yourself on for patient care.

RSS Feed </> Embed