UAB Medicine Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
45 reviews filtered by
3.4
UAB Medicine CEO Will Ferniany, Ph.D.
Will Ferniany, Ph.D.

1. Good employer, but their budget cuts have left employees feeling neglected: no bonus, no raise, no shift diff, etc.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Critical Care in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse, Critical Care in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Steady employment, participating in cutting-edge research, high tech equipment, high standard of practice and care

Cons

Attendance policy only allows 3 calls-ins per year, which I feel is very unrealistic

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with the same "Core Values" you pride yourself on for patient care.

2. UAB HSIS

Former Employee - Information Technologist in Montgomery, AL
    Former Employee - Information Technologist in Montgomery, AL

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

There are some very good people working at UAB. They keep the organization functioning in spite of Upper-level management.

Cons

On one can make a decision. No leadership at the top, no guidance is given, so no one wants to make a decision. There seem to be a lot of little power struggles within small domains of influence. Crisis management. If you make the wrong person mad or expose issues (security) that make someone else look bad you will be the one that gets fired.

Advice to Management

Grow a pair or Quit

3. Great for older folks...not so great for younger (unless you're here for the free tuition)!

I have been working at UAB Medicine full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great health and tuition benefits. This is really THE reason to work here! But if you have a spouse that has good health and tuition (if you need it) benefits from their job you can probably be happier elsewhere...

Cons

Salary - very stingy with raises for the worker bees.
    Parking - expensive and long waiting list to get into the close decks, but fortunately remote parking has greatly improved over the years.
    Lots of cliques so difficult to get ahead/promotions without brown nosing.

They don't seem to take many chances on folks in their 30's, I've interviewed for transfer positions and almost always see that they ended up hiring someone age 50+; great for them (no age discrimination) but not so great for younger folks looking to make changes in their career.

Advice to Management

Senior management is wonderful - keep up the good work! But pull aside the "low men on the totem pole" and ask if the people they report to (your lower management) reflect the core values; most often they do not.

5. Constantly changing policies. Very unsteady management in medical division.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Birmingham, AL

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great education benefits. Good opportunity for new nurses.

Cons

They overwork staff and raises are rare no a days.

6. Short-term stay at the position

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

I was given an opportunity for an in person training sessions.

Cons

I did seem to get enough feedback about what they were happy or dislike about my performance. It felt like if you did not perform at %110 from day one, it was like you were the pedestal to be eliminated from that job. Also, the communication from the various departments was hard, since everyone felt like an island and was unwilling to give out the information.

7. Top execs pay themselves fat bonuses while the people who do all the work are denied raises

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at UAB Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free education at UAB for full-timers

Cons

Top execs pay themselves fat bonuses using taxpayer money while the people who do all the work--Nurses, PCTs, Dietary, Environmental are denied raises, bonuses, and have pay incentives like shift differential decreased or eliminated (no more charge nurse pay). Letter from CEOs stated that this "trimming of the fat" was due to changes in Medicare reimbursement, blaming the federal government, in not so many words they want you to think it's all Obama's fault that you're not getting a raise. However there is new equipment everywhere that must have cost multi-millions--a new medication automation system Omnicell (got rid of Pyxis), new label maker system, new copiers/fax machines, you can see the money spent everywhere, and to top if off, our CNO, Terri Poe, paid herself $63,000 bonus in December 2014, while nurses had paycheck cuts and no raises, no bonuses. They issue "zero tolerance" policy for certain policies/procedures without the adequate education and resources, and nurses have been suspended and fired (from UAB's ER especially). Forget about asking questions regarding the policies, if you ask questions because you need clarification, you get told that you will be written up for insubordination (true story). As a cherry on top, they make drastic strict changes to the attendance policy, only allowing 3 call-ins and after 5 call-ins an employee can be terminated regardless of the reason for the call-ins. Most CEOs, nurse managers/directors/supervisors, nurse practitioners/clinicians, and physicians want you to do what they say and ask no questions, even if policies are unclear or orders endanger patients' lives. I have worked at other Magnet hospitals and this is the worst, falsely designated Magnet hospital, I have ever worked at. There is NO empowerment of nurses. Forget about a non-punitive environment for reporting medications errors--a quality of Magnet hospitals. Don't you dare make a med error, it will go to the top execs and they will want you fired. UAB does not care about those that do all the hard work. Nurses are not a vital member of the healthcare team, management, execs and MDs want you to do what they say without any question. Poorly performing nurse managers take all the credit for the hard work of the nurses and PCTs. UAB pays some of the lowest salaries in the state for RNs, acting as if everyone should want to work there since they are the only Magnet hospital, the pay is pitiful. The only nurses left are the ones who are hanging on to their TRS retirement which is no longer offered to new employees. So many good nurses have quit in the last few months because they are fed-up. I'm one of them, leaving was the best decision of my life!

Advice to Management

Respect and pay pay pay those that do the hard work, RNs, PCTs, Dietary, Environmental. Without them UAB would crumble.

8. Nice place

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

Good benefits and reasonable pay

Cons

It's a large hospital so rmolyee parking is a hassle

9. Uab Is a great employer

I have been working at UAB Medicine

Pros

Great benefits flexible schedule great managers

Cons

There are no cons I can think of

ruined my career

Former Employee - Nursing School
    Former Employee - Nursing School

I worked at UAB Medicine

Pros

none except for the people that I made friends with and worked with closely

Cons

the hospital administrators and the lower level management teams have a serious issue with forgetting that they are not in junior high school anymore and literally will bully you till you quit or until they make a bogus report to the nursing board about you.

Advice to Management

get entirely new management,as far as lower middle management, you should require adequate in easily proven proof before a nurse manager is allowed to make you complain to the Nursing Board regarding your license.that was all that had to be done and I never would have had one made against mine. 16 years with no problems until I work for these people.

11. UAB in a nutshell

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at UAB Medicine full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Growth opportunities, Benefits, Exposure, Networking

Cons

Pay compaired to smaller employers
    Patient volume

Advice to Management

Be aware of internal buddy system amongst department managers