UAT (University of Advancing Technology)

www.uat.edu

3.4

CEO

I love working here!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, happy and fun people, relaxed environment, flexible hours, great students, new up to date technology, little red tape, enjoyable atmosphere, lots of vacation and time off, caring company who make the effort to help their employees through personal challenges.

Cons

A lot of new grads are hired and they don't know what a job is expected to be. They complain while they are here, leave and then see what other companies are like and want to come back.

Create on boarding for different groups - straight out of college, new to education, etc.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Great benefits, a relaxed and casual environment with a great group of people. We have a lot of time off, employer paid medical premium with a reimbursement on our deductibles, 5 free meals/week, fun events, summer happiness/movie events, great people. We have amazing students who are so creative and inventive and make your job fun and worthwhile.

Cons

There are some negative people in the building who have been negative for years. They should have been let go a long time ago for their attitudes or they should have left on their own if they are so upset here. These people just seem to enjoy making others miserable. Most have never worked anywhere else and don't get how lucky they are here.

When you see negativity or issues with staff address it immediately, if it doesn't improve, let the person go. Even if they are great at their jobs they are poisoning others around them.

Amazing place to work but unable to keep their most talented employees

I worked at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work life balance, fun culture that encourages continuous learning. One free meal per day. Great interaction with students. Lots of opportunities to meet cool, creative people. The work site is a great open space with lots of places to meet and share time with your coworkers.

Cons

Below market compensation encourages turnover. The constant turnover creates a "revolving door" mentality that makes it difficult to build relationships.

Improve pay and work harder to keep your best people

Great place if you're desperate for a job

I worked at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time

Pros

Amazing co-workers who will go out of their way to mentor and help you (this does not include the executive team)
    The faculty truly love their students and love teaching
    Great health insurance, but only if you are single and have no children

Cons

Serious financial issues that cause rounds of lay offs
    Little to no vacation time for new employees
    Your only hope of job security is dating the CEO or being one of his relatives
    The CEO inherited his position - he did not earn it - and it shows
    The curriculum lacks cohesion (faculty are stretched too thin)
    The Provost is incompetent and dishonest and lacks a connection to reality
    Compensation is way below industry average

You need to be replaced with people who know how to run a university.
    If you're going to post (or encourage people to post) a slew of fake, positive reviews, then don't post them all on the same day (see February 20, 2014)

Paradise Lost

I worked at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Does a wonderful job at finding talented individuals to fill their ranks.
    Despite the strained resources, faculty do an outstanding job at delivering a good education to the students.

Cons

As talented as they are at finding highly qualified individuals to work for them, they are equally talented at squelching the opinion of those individuals. Management is more interested in hearing their ideas parroted rather than listen to those who are more qualified in their area of expertise.
    Friends and family are valued more than those who are more qualified.

You value money, status, and power above the thing that should matter the most, your product. Your product isn't the education you offer, it is your graduates. You can run a business, but the management of the education should be left up to the more qualified and talented individuals that you somehow have a knack for finding. It's a shame that you've squandered so many of them away over the past decade. This is the paradise that has been lost.

The most supportive environment and progressive workplace I have ever experienced.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Having worked for the university as a full-time employee for over 6 years, I can say that the workplace environment truly supports each of the employees to be their best and grow.

With competitive pay, generous vacation and holidays as well as 401K matching along with other unheard of benefits I feel well taken care of as an employee.

Working for a university that has the following VALUES makes me feel part of a great organization and I look forward to being on the team for the long haul:

Integrity - We promote positive social responsibility and global citizenship, and always act with integrity, honesty and ethics above reproach.

Quality through Continuous Improvement - UAT is a complex system of interrelated parts that shall be continuously improved. We plan, use feedback and seek to understand relationships so that UAT systems will be stopped, simplified, improved or innovated.

Lifelong Learning - UAT is a learning organization. UAT provides the highest level of student learning, seeks learning opportunities throughout the organization and expects individual growth.

Teamwork - We believe in and foster teamwork. Working in collaborative teams, we support each other, create alignment and build shared understanding that produces superior results.

Family - UAT values the commitment, support and lifelong growth that come from a learning community built around family principles. Its policies and practices promote healthy interactions within this family context. UAT embraces the benefits of family working at and attending the university.

Cons

Unfortunately the university is not as well know as it should be in the education space. Being a small private university we strive to become more well known for our unique majors and ideal environment for students looking to move technology to the next level.

Continue to look for employees who are a great culture fit for UAT, as this progressive and unique university is not for everyone.

UAT provides great opportunity for personal and professional growth - if you seize it

Current Employee - Professor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Professor in Tempe, AZ

Pros

I've been a full-time professor at UAT since 2002 and have been given an amazing amount of freedom to develop my courses and my program, with minimal interference. And I've been given a tremendous amount of tangible (e.g. resources and money) and intangible (e.g., encouragement and promotion) support for the projects I work on with my students. Anyone who doesn't feel empowered by the administration just simply isn't paying attention, isn't meeting that level of empowerment with their own effort and enthusiasm, or is putting their energy into activities that are off-mission.

It's a two-way street and the energy each faculty person puts into their work is met in-kind. It can be disheartening to read the negative comments of other faculty here, but I take those with a grain of salt - because those are clearly coming from people who are not seizing the opportunities provided here and are therefore feeling a bit stymied.

Cons

For such a small organization, we can sometimes become bogged down in bureaucracy. Some processes need to be simplified and some employees who aren't working at maximum efficiency and productivity could really stand to be culled from the herd. If as I said above excellence is rewarded, one of my main complaints is that mediocrity is often tolerated for too long.

Anything I'd post here I usually say to management's faces. But to answer this generally - as long as students and their learning experiences are first and foremost, UAT will continue to excel. When students and their learning don't come first - that's when we fall down. Making sure that literally everything we do from top to bottom is student-centered is our number one mission.

the most well-managed and culturally immersive place I've ever worked

I have been working at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time

Pros

well managed
    great culture
    great benefits
    lots of paid holidays
    fun coworkers
    free food
    401k matching
    the management team and the good employees live and breathe UAT, and truly believe in the school's mission
    it's a high level, fast-moving work place - the only people who don't do well are the ones who don't WANT to do well (these are the ones you will find complaining about the management and the culture, but they're just lazy and upset they're being expected to work hard).

Cons

sometimes they serve mystery food in the cafe

put some focus on replacing the whiney, low-performing employees...unfortunately, though there are few, they are loud and will do anything in their power to spread their bad attitudes and work ethic to anyone and everyone.

Caring, high integrity private college

Pros

Close access to students
    Great students
    Organization works very hard to care for students and staff
    Lots of tech
    As an employee can help students
    UAT wants me to grow and help the school be better tomorrow than today

Cons

It is a small college - not a good match if looking for a big org
    Requires lots of flexibility - not a good match if you are looking for regimentation

After over 20 years of work experience elsewhere, I have found the ultimate place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at UAT (University of Advancing Technology) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits are amazing!
    -On top of paying 100% of employee premiums for medical coverage, all the plans from health coverage to the 401k plan and more are fantastic.
    -Multiple holidays including a full winter break from Christmas to New Years.
    -Tuition reimbursement at other educational institutions.
    -Generous scholarships at UAT for employees and dependents.
    -Five free meals every week at the university's cafe plus a discount for additional meals.
    -Flexible work schedules.
    -Discount programs through vendor partners like AT&T, Apple, and Microsoft, to name a few.

Amazing culture!
    -Just walk into UAT and you can feel this is like no other university you've ever been to.
    -Faculty are knowledgable, friendly, and especially passionate about what they do.
    -You can tell that staff truly care about the students and the mission of the University. They are extremely dedicated and a pleasure to work with.
    -Students are amazing to watch. They are inspiring, energizing, and make me love what I do here.

There are some newer staff that have joined UAT recently, and they are bringing in some great new ideas, energy and passion to help us move forward. It's an exciting time!

Cons

-There is some negativity from a small group of staff that I think take some business decisions personally. This university has a familial-based culture, but it is still a business and there are times decisions have to be made in order for us to continue being successful at what we do. My hope is that these people realize these changes are not personal. They are to better the university so that we can meet the needs of our students.
    -While I don't see this as a con, some might so I put it here. This is a fairly flat organization. While there may not be a position you can move directly "up" into, there is flexibility to modify positions or create new positions to help people move up and grow. While it's flat, that in no way means you can't "move up" and grow.

Keep doing what your doing!