UBM Reviews

Reset
2.7
UBM CEO Tim Cobbold
Tim Cobbold

Pros
  • Good benefits and reasonable compensation (in 6 reviews)

• It's a shame upper mgmt doesn't see what great people they have (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not care about anything but their bonus by keeping their employees at a lesser pay (i (in 3 reviews)

• Lower management need better man management skills training (in 2 reviews)

Revolving Door of Management and

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM

Pros

Loved my teammates. All were in it together to make the best events possible for our clients and attendees.

Cons

'Old Boys' network Incredibly sexist. Lack of personal integrity in management. Too many managers that are completely out of touch with client needs and state of the industry. Primary solution to increase bottom line is to layoff people who built and understand the business in favor of young and cheap whom they hope will maintain it.

Advice to Management

Diversity - it's more than buzzword.

2. Chaotic and disappointing

Former Employee - Editorial Staff
    Former Employee - Editorial Staff

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

People know the sites when you work there or apply elsewhere.

Cons

No respect for editors or editorial. Promises made are easily broken. Org chart is top heavy with way too many managers whose only allegiance is to the UK stock market, not employees.

Advice to Management

Don't make ant promises. Don't add any more managers then say you can't give raises to those doing the work.

3. Manager

Current Employee - Custodial Area Supervisor in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Custodial Area Supervisor in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at UBM full-time

Pros

The people are friendly and easy to work with at times.

Cons

I don't feel as though you are compensated for your position.

5. Change is the name of the game

I have been working at UBM full-time

Pros

Wonderful people, incredible benefits. Most take a real sense of pride in their work.

Cons

Constant change is challenging.

6. A Shell of it's former self

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

NY office is now located at 2 Penn Plaza -- a great commute (on the LIRR) if you live on Long Island.

Cons

Bottom Line, it's all about making their shareholders happy... to the detriment of the employees. As part of another of their massive layoffs (80 from my division), they've thrown out an excellent work force (their publishing division) to be the 2nd largest trade show company. If that's your expertise, go for it.

Advice to Management

Older employees DO have a lot to offer. Try to see more than the $$, and look quality and experience.

7. Tumultuous & Reactive

I worked at UBM full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to work with excellent people, well kept offices in good locations, good benefits plan, flexibility with work locations.

Cons

Distrust in management, change happens so frequently it feels like whiplash, constant layoffs really hurt morale, low starting salaries (compared to the industry & overall) with little opportunity for jumps, little investment in employees/employee happiness (perks are virtually non-existent). Management is constantly reacting to the market instead of being seen as leaders or investing in new technologies in events.

Advice to Management

Nobody seems to have the answers (or even pretends to); instead of preaching about culture, it's time to invest in employees and show them that a positive culture can start from the top and that employees should be appreciated (& fairly compensated financially).

Total bait and switch...RUN.

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

Great teammates. Lots of camaraderie and ability to pull together under tough circumstances. Office administration went to great lengths to promote a sense of fun in the office when I was there. Decent compensation for my role but it was made clear not to expect a raise.

Cons

Where to start? I went through 8 interviews with these people. Very transparent about my skillset and was promised training for areas that I would need to ramp up on.

My "training" consisted of two days of talking to a bored, disgruntled employee who quit two weeks after I started. I was told after trying to supplement my knowledge that I was "asking too many questions". I ended up leaving after two months. Was told the woman hired to replace me was fired six weeks into her role, also not given any training.

It was just as well it didn't work out. I've never worked in such a toxic environment in my life. Such a blame culture. Every meeting was an exercise of workers throwing each other under the bus.

Advice to Management

Are you guys for real? Look at the high turnover rate. UBM is a total joke in the SF tech industry, and it is all due to your crappy office culture and the way you handle your employees.

Worked with Terrific People. Lack of Vision, Innovation, Business Strategy and Direction the Past Few Years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UBM full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

• Worked with some great people over the years! Talent, collaboration, and team-focused!
    • Within the right groups and leadership, there's opportunity to build industry-leading products and services and be rewarded for it.

Cons

• Non-collaborative Culture. Siloed divisions that have hard time working together for common good.
    • Business ambiguity which hinders motivation and work productivity—and ultimately affects employee retention, customer engagement, and business growth.
    • Corporate politics negatively affects workplace and corporate culture. Willingness to let good people leave the company.

Advice to Management

• Rekindle a spirit and purpose of innovation and transparency where all employees at every level are empowered to make a difference that contributes to the growth and vision of UBM and it's customers—an "intrapreneurial" culture!!. Management must have a passion for this, create a culture dedicated to it, and communicate it regularly. I fostered this at the group I built and managed at UBM and it worked!
    • Keep good people of integrity, talent, dedication, team-focus, and innovative drive.

Run

I have been working at UBM

Pros

Great work life balance and colleagues

Cons

Layoffs and major changes every few months, terrible morale, favoritism

Advice to Management

Take a look at the politics and cronyism and maybe you'll make a profit

11. ok place to work

I have been working at UBM

Pros

great people and fun environment

Cons

limited opportunities especially in certain regions

RSS Feed </> Embed