UBM Reviews

Reset

1. Marketing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have had great management help me grow within my role. I have been promoted each year and feel rewarded for the work that I do. Great work/life balance and ability to work remotely.

Cons

High turnover, employees don't seem invested in brands. Different parts of the business (events & design teams in particular) have struggled with management, processes, retaining team members. Does not pay well enough to incentivize employees to stay long term.

2. Working through issues.

I have been working at UBM full-time

Pros

Committed, passionate staff in pockets, and many good cultural elements. There are also some very interesting products - particularly in events, which has become the dominant company focus of late. Good location in SoMa.

Cons

Pay often very undermarket compared to (slightly out of control) San Francisco. Lots of change due to management and centralization changes. Overconcentration on saving money sometimes leads to employees feeling underappreciated.

Advice to Management

Get employees to SF market rates as quickly as possible. Continue to focus on reducing the amount of change and discovering new markets beyond the current.

3. Digital

Pros

Great people, casual work environment, great benefits, flexible work time, hands off management style.

Cons

Salary could be more competitive. Industry standards are higher outside of UBM.

Advice to Management

Be more competitive with salaries.

5. A good place to work

Current Employee - Graphic Designer
    Current Employee - Graphic Designer

I have been working at UBM full-time

Pros

Employees are open to creativity

Cons

No learning or training on the job. Atleast in the design department

6. EVP International Business Development

Former Employee - EVP International Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - EVP International Business Development in San Francisco, CA

Pros

UBM has a breadth of media products. The USA markets are strongly focused on the tech and medical markets but world-wide the company has a footprint in many B2B markets. Employees have an opportunity to learn key skills and multiple markets. It is also a great opportunity to learn how acquisitions are integrated successfully (or not) into a large organization.

Cons

UBM grows primarily through acquisition. If you are a start-up junkie at heart, this is likely not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Work to find opportunities to innovate in existing products whilst pursuing scalable acquisitions.

7. Chaotic and disappointing

Former Employee - Editorial Staff
    Former Employee - Editorial Staff

I worked at UBM full-time

Pros

People know the sites when you work there or apply elsewhere.

Cons

No respect for editors or editorial. Promises made are easily broken. Org chart is top heavy with way too many managers whose only allegiance is to the UK stock market, not employees.

Advice to Management

Don't make ant promises. Don't add any more managers then say you can't give raises to those doing the work.

8. Manager

Current Employee - Custodial Area Supervisor in Carol Stream, IL
    Current Employee - Custodial Area Supervisor in Carol Stream, IL

I have been working at UBM full-time

Pros

The people are friendly and easy to work with at times.

Cons

I don't feel as though you are compensated for your position.

Revolving Door of Management and

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Loved my teammates. All were in it together to make the best events possible for our clients and attendees.

Cons

'Old Boys' network Incredibly sexist. Lack of personal integrity in management. Too many managers that are completely out of touch with client needs and state of the industry. Primary solution to increase bottom line is to layoff people who built and understand the business in favor of young and cheap whom they hope will maintain it.

Advice to Management

Diversity - it's more than buzzword.

The people are the bright spot in this stagnant company.

Former Employee - Events Group in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Events Group in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The culture of people and the talent is hard to beat. I've made some life-long friends working here. The exposure to various responsibilities also enhanced my career background as well.

Cons

Senior Management talks an optimistic future, but they really don't know what lies ahead. During my < 3 yr tenure, UBM Tech had 3 different CEO's - yes, THREE. They're on number 4 now. No one's job is safe; they've been laying off people who've given their heart and soul to the company for years. To any outsider, this should scream instability. There's a lot of politics here too - it's a wonder internally how some of the EVP's were put into their position.

Advice to Management

Be more honest with your employees - and realize that your actions are facilitating a terrible corporate culture.

11. Change is the name of the game

I have been working at UBM full-time

Pros

Wonderful people, incredible benefits. Most take a real sense of pride in their work.

Cons

Constant change is challenging.

RSS Feed </> Embed