tech.ubm.com

Updated December 15, 2014

Paul Miller

Account Executive

I have been working at UBM Tech

Pros

great training, office and people. The companies is making an effort to involve all levels in the future of the companies. You can get the ear of upper management quiet easily if you want.

Cons

Have a silo'ed feel to the different busniess. Departments have been cut and a lot of people have lost their jobs due to high turn over at C level.

I worked at UBM Tech

Pros

the try to promote from within

Cons

no training provided so you can move up

Some pros, a lot more cons

I worked at UBM Tech full-time

Pros

Strong brands, good culture within certain teams. If you get on certain management's good side, you'll be set.

Cons

I agree with the post on October 2nd - some of the posts recently seem contrived. High turnover on staff level. I saw some very smart and capable people not make it because they didn't play the game that others played to get them ahead. They are also misleading in interviews, so beware of entering a role that is different that what you expected. The positive reviews keep using the tough media market as reasons why there are some negative things. That is not true because I (and many others I know) have moved into other media companies where things are not as bad. The grass is greener.

Lots of people are jumping ship. Be more transparent and value employee feedback. People aren't being whiney - if they bring up issues to management its because they want to stay and have things fixed.

Be ready to move

I worked at UBM Tech full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great people, interesting work, fast-paced environment

Cons

very disorganized , poor top down communication, be ready to move on in 6 months max.

take some classes in communication

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management needed to be more proactive. Way to many middle managers not contributing.

Cons

office culture was great, work life balance working there.

It started off great, but slowly fizzled out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UBM Tech full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, the strong brands, the flexibility

Cons

the pay, the culture, slowly investing more in their technology now where their competitors have been doing this for a while. It puts them in a difficult position to get ahead. It will take time.

I think they have a solid leader in place now, so now it is up to improving other areas of their business that are hurting the success of the organization.

Great People, Uncertain Industry

Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very smart folks, collegial environment

Cons

Constantly changing mission/leadership, compensation falls below area standards

Decide what kind of business you are in and stick with it

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

A strong, performance-based culture that prioritizes innovation and collaboration. Working on a portfolio of quality products that are respected by the audience served, and working with a team of like-minded, collegial colleagues has kept me here for over a decade.

Cons

B2B Media (broadly including events), and media more broadly, is a challenging industry -- UBM Tech deserves much credit for refusing to stand still, and to continue to innovate, but that innovation comes at a price. If you don't have a tolerance (if not hunger) for near-constant change and movement, this may not be the most comfortable environment.

Solid Company in a Brutal Environment

I worked at UBM Tech full-time

Pros

There are smart, dedicated people here, although I agree a good deal of talent has left. That's not because management gleefully fired them, though. If you know anything about B2B tech media since 2008, you know it's a huge challenge--and that's a massive understatement. Management here had to make extremely difficult decisions--ones they preferred not to make. i know. I worked with many of them and was one of the casualties. It's easy to just blame management. Sure, hindsight's 20/20, but I'm not sure people understand what it is to be a senior exec in B2B media now. Being a CEO is a thankless job I can't imagine anyone wanting. FWIW, I don't think it was ever a case of wanting to change strategies every year. It's a case of always HAVING to because of a crumbling media business and changing direction from a public parent company.

Cons

For those who think UBM just messed everything up, take a look around. Name the successful B2B media companies. They're few and far between. Name the successful public ones. Exactly. I honestly think they've done what they can, but management is beholden to shareholders, hence, the constantly shifting winds. In an environment like this, culture is gonna be a huge problem. Hours are gonna be late. Pressure is gonna be high. Money simply isn't there to reward people the way they once could. Look, B2B media today is a labor of love. It's brutal. If you're looking for high pay, low hours and constant pats on the back, well, I don't think those jobs even exist anymore.

I think management needed to be more visible, more accessible, and more direct than ever these past few years. I think more decisiveness was necessary. I'd also suggest HR was never the strongest department in the company, and that often added to the problem.

What a difference a year makes...

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

UBM Tech is actually the combination of several formerly separate groups within UBM - former TechWeb (information Week, Interop, Black Hat, etc), and UBM Electronics (EE Times, EDN) and because of that there were many different brands, tribes and silos. After less than a year, there was a huge shift in the mindset and the culture - which was no small shakes. Rather than the dominant 'all revenue is good revenue' culture of former Techweb taking over, it became a culture of openness, honesty, and doing the right thing for the business. Customers could see and feel this change as well, and it shifted the conversation - from one of vendor to one of partner.

For those of us who remain with UBM Tech, it is, and has always been - about the people. Even in an industry that is completely turned on its head by a host of external factors (media) employees stay because of the people.

Cons

You have to be not just comfortable in a fast-paced environment filled with change, its best if that's the environment you most thrive in. If you do, opportunities are abound for you.