UBM Tech Reviews

UBM Tech

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A strong, performance-based culture that prioritizes innovation and collaboration. Working on a portfolio of quality products that are respected by the audience served, and working with a team of like-minded, collegial colleagues has kept me here for over a decade.

Cons

B2B Media (broadly including events), and media more broadly, is a challenging industry -- UBM Tech deserves much credit for refusing to stand still, and to continue to innovate, but that innovation comes at a price. If you don't have a tolerance (if not hunger) for near-constant change and movement, this may not be the most comfortable environment.

Solid Company in a Brutal Environment

I worked at UBM Tech full-time

Pros

There are smart, dedicated people here, although I agree a good deal of talent has left. That's not because management gleefully fired them, though. If you know anything about B2B tech media since 2008, you know it's a huge challenge--and that's a massive understatement. Management here had to make extremely difficult decisions--ones they preferred not to make. i know. I worked with many of them and was one of the casualties. It's easy to just blame management. Sure, hindsight's 20/20, but I'm not sure people understand what it is to be a senior exec in B2B media now. Being a CEO is a thankless job I can't imagine anyone wanting. FWIW, I don't think it was ever a case of wanting to change strategies every year. It's a case of always HAVING to because of a crumbling media business and changing direction from a public parent company.

Cons

For those who think UBM just messed everything up, take a look around. Name the successful B2B media companies. They're few and far between. Name the successful public ones. Exactly. I honestly think they've done what they can, but management is beholden to shareholders, hence, the constantly shifting winds. In an environment like this, culture is gonna be a huge problem. Hours are gonna be late. Pressure is gonna be high. Money simply isn't there to reward people the way they once could. Look, B2B media today is a labor of love. It's brutal. If you're looking for high pay, low hours and constant pats on the back, well, I don't think those jobs even exist anymore.

I think management needed to be more visible, more accessible, and more direct than ever these past few years. I think more decisiveness was necessary. I'd also suggest HR was never the strongest department in the company, and that often added to the problem.

It started off great, but slowly fizzled out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at UBM Tech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people, the strong brands, the flexibility

Cons

the pay, the culture, slowly investing more in their technology now where their competitors have been doing this for a while. It puts them in a difficult position to get ahead. It will take time.

I think they have a solid leader in place now, so now it is up to improving other areas of their business that are hurting the success of the organization.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great People, Uncertain Industry

Current Employee - Content  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Content in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Very smart folks, collegial environment

Cons

Constantly changing mission/leadership, compensation falls below area standards

Decide what kind of business you are in and stick with it

Change is a good thing

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Never a dull moment, there is advancement to work in different departments to learn new skills. Very exciting environment and the people are the best in the business.

Cons

With change comes lay offs, a lot of the time they forget that certain people carry a lot of work on their plate and it gets divided by the people remaining.

Get a good idea of work loads and how much people do before deciding to lay off and outsource. Sometimes outsourcing creates more problems rather than doing it internally first.

I worked at UBM for over 10 years

I worked at UBM Tech

Pros

UBM Tech's best asset are it's people. Despite the very chaotic work environment, the very smart and enthusiastic people dedicate themselves to overcoming the craziness to stay focused on the customer and business success.

The CEO was visionary, transparent (as much as you can be with changes in high level priorities) and genuinely seemed to care about doing what was right for the business/shareholders, the customer and employees.

Cons

Exceedingly fast pace with disconnects in priorities, processes & communications.

Get the transformation behind you, achieve stability and take care of your people.

UBM Tech a great place to work

Current Employee - Sales and Operations Professional  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Operations Professional in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

UBM Tech has been a great company to work for and there has been a lot of opportunity to develop and grow. The culture is great, everyone works hard and has your back. UBM also encourages people to make a difference by volunteering and they match charitable donations.

Cons

UBM transitioned in the last 7-10 years from a company that generated 70% of its revenue from print to no print in 2014. This has caused a lot of change, and required strong leadership, and sometimes unpopular decisions. That has been hard in general, but I feel management always handled the changes with compassion and thoughtfulness.

Keep looking ahead, the digital space is changing fast, we need to stay nimble and on top of it.

What a difference a year makes...

I have been working at UBM Tech full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

UBM Tech is actually the combination of several formerly separate groups within UBM - former TechWeb (information Week, Interop, Black Hat, etc), and UBM Electronics (EE Times, EDN) and because of that there were many different brands, tribes and silos. After less than a year, there was a huge shift in the mindset and the culture - which was no small shakes. Rather than the dominant 'all revenue is good revenue' culture of former Techweb taking over, it became a culture of openness, honesty, and doing the right thing for the business. Customers could see and feel this change as well, and it shifted the conversation - from one of vendor to one of partner.

For those of us who remain with UBM Tech, it is, and has always been - about the people. Even in an industry that is completely turned on its head by a host of external factors (media) employees stay because of the people.

Cons

You have to be not just comfortable in a fast-paced environment filled with change, its best if that's the environment you most thrive in. If you do, opportunities are abound for you.

Sweatshop !

Former Employee - Operations  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UBM Tech full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people were great and some of the best I have worked with

Cons

The workload is insane and the salary is well below industry standard

Pay your talent more

Good experience; you can outgrow your role here if you are not advanced appropriately

I worked at UBM Tech

Pros

Great colleagues. ok compensation. work on branded publications and events in the b2b space

Cons

Long hours. some of the work will get redundant. The folks who do the strategic matters will continue doing it. Hard for anyone else to break into that crowd.

Reward the workers

Worked for UBM Tech? Contribute to the Community!