UBS

Updated February 18, 2015
2.8

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti
Sergio P. Ermotti

Pros
  • THe work life balance is good but might get stressed during the deal season (in 152 reviews)

• Work environment is friendly, co worrkers always helpful and management always involved (in 80 reviews)

Cons
  • Working hours are abit too long and I find it hard to get a work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• Priorities of the business kept changing and senior management did not seem to have a vision (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

52 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Constantly restructuring

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at UBS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Large AUM base. Variety of geographic locations globally.

Cons

Huge bureaucracy. Compensation terms ever evolving. Translation - worsening.

Financial Analyst Intern

Former Employee - Financial Planning Internship in Oakbrook Terrace, IL
    Former Employee - Financial Planning Internship in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I worked at UBS

Pros

The group I worked with was very easy to get along with. At first I was not too thrilled about the cold calling aspect but have since learned it is s valuable experience to have on resume.

Cons

Often I would not have tasks or projects thoroughly explained to me. Towards then end of the internship when I got to work with FGAs I really had no idea what I was doing.

Better training system. Written instructions for reference when there is a simple question to be answered.

Internship was great

Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at UBS

Pros

It was a great introduction to the financial services industry.

Cons

Interns are newer to the workplace so do not get much major project responsibility. You are still challenged.

Continue toEncourage hard work and dedication to being great on a daily basis

So so

Current Employee - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS

Pros

Location, international company, most people don't know what is going on,

Cons

80% contractors, management changing often,
    no employee appreciation.

Systems Admin

Current Employee - Associate Director, Investment Banking in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Director, Investment Banking in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Decent work/life balance promoted by human resources department.

Cons

Due to downsizing a stressful environment was created by having employees always looking over their shoulder awaiting the layoff call. Annoying knowing that the Company seemed to be placed in a bad light for inappropriate behavior a few too many times.

Remote offices are terrible to work in, there is no connection to headquarters.

Former Employee - Product Controller in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Product Controller in Chicago, IL

I worked at UBS full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and overall culture. This office has a great downtown location in Chicago which is close to shops and restaurants.

Cons

Terrible work life balance and mobility within Corporate Center, management were filled with dinosaurs who had worked at the company for so long they were resistant to any type of positive change.

Good place to get a start.

Current Employee - Senior Registered Client Service Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Registered Client Service Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Office will support you getting licenses and certifications. Good place to to learn and get some experience. A lot of the long timers are very nice and helpful in sharing knowledge. Good amount of vacation time for new employees.

Cons

Poor compensation. Limited amount of positions available within the wealth management division. Some of the past managers didn't make it easy for individuals to apply for other jobs and move around within the company. Sometimes it takes forever to get something done because it has to go through so many strings of approval.

Just OK

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Solid company with a good reputation. Work-life balance is nice.

Cons

Lack of training. The only tools you are given are from the disinterested, checked out person who had your job before you did. The only thing anyone cares about is money and climbing the corporate ladder. There are some really slimy people working here. The company does not give cost of living raises, and most employees have not had a salary increase in 5 years. There is a huge lack of morale in the home office, and getting a competent, timly response is impossible. Not to mention the fact that half of the back office is in India now, with more to follow. The technology is a joke too. We are still on some systems from the 90s.

The best way to keep talent is to pay for it. Enough outsourcing. Invest in quality, sustainable technology so we can do our jobs effeciently and effectively.

Good comp, Great people, Distant management

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

People are really nice, very smart and tend to be some of the professional elite you would like to work with. International opportunities for sure.

Cons

The promotion, raise and bonus system is a total sham. It's painful and it sucks, UBS needs to get on the same page as the rest of the western world when it comes to taking care of their employees.

Management is in Switzerland. They really could care less what happens to anyone in the US. They tend to make autonomous decisions that are a JOKE!

Wealth Management Intern

Current Intern - Wealth Management Intern in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Wealth Management Intern in Chicago, IL

I have been working at UBS as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, helpful managers, flexible schedule

Cons

too many office administrative responsibilities. personally, i prefer to work on projects rather than just paperwork