UBS

UBS Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 17, 2014

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti

Sergio P. Ermotti

Pros
  • work-life balance; office culture; staff education(in 133 reviews)

• Decent work-life balance, relaxed work environment, corporate perks(in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is appalling if one wishes to get promoted(in 29 reviews)

• Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes(in 53 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wealth Management Intern

Wealth Management Intern (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNice working environment, helpful managers, flexible schedule

Constoo many office administrative responsibilities. personally, i prefer to work on projects rather than just paperwork

Just OK

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsSolid company with a good reputation. Work-life balance is nice.

ConsLack of training. The only tools you are given are from the disinterested, checked out person who had your job before you did. The only thing anyone cares about is money and climbing the corporate ladder. There are some really slimy people working here. The company does not give cost of living raises, and most employees have not had a salary increase in 5 years. There is a huge lack of morale in the home office, and getting a competent, timly response is impossible. Not to mention the fact that half of the back office is in India now, with more to follow. The technology is a joke too. We are still on some systems from the 90s.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe best way to keep talent is to pay for it. Enough outsourcing. Invest in quality, sustainable technology so we can do our jobs effeciently and effectively.

Good comp, Great people, Distant management

Operations (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are really nice, very smart and tend to be some of the professional elite you would like to work with. International opportunities for sure.

ConsThe promotion, raise and bonus system is a total sham. It's painful and it sucks, UBS needs to get on the same page as the rest of the western world when it comes to taking care of their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is in Switzerland. They really could care less what happens to anyone in the US. They tend to make autonomous decisions that are a JOKE!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive, great way to get a start in the industry

Analyst (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsCompensation, people are willing to help you out along the way

ConsHierarchy, crazy hours, people tended to be favorited

Advice to Senior ManagementLess red tape

Private Wealth Management Intern

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsIt is a BB. A lot of exit opportunities.

ConsGrowth is limited in PWM. Team and operations group constantly butting heads. No structured intern program.

cannot recommend as a developer

Java Developer (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

leader without expertise

Advice to Senior Managementlearn a little bit about computer science

Standard Investment Bank/Corporate Structure

Data Analyst (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNice and relaxed office environment. People are friendly and open for the most part.

ConsEverything here has moved towards all entry-mid level positions are independent contractor in the post dodd-frank obamacare heavily regulated world. Very rigid corporate structure, hard to move across divisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet away from moving everyone to independent contractor, your turnover rate will be going up substantially in my opinion if this doesn't change.

worst place I've ever worked

Director (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe desk heads are talented people.

Cons'Industrialization' has made everything horrific. Nothing gets done. It's actually written in the policy that they do not give cost of living increases so most people have not gotten any raise in 5 years when the salaries are known to be below market to begin with. There is not one person I know who is happy there. Everyone thinks they have to be prepping for sale cause there really can be no other reason that things can be run this poorly.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust sell it already...clearly the IB does not want to be on the buy side.

Resourceful, great for a college student interning trying to glean a glance at a FA's role.

Wealth Management (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsName recognition. World class resources, technology, growth, connections, real world experience as a college student, world class building.

ConsPush company products, unpaid intern, one bloomberg terminal per entire floor?, very shady way of "obtaining" business lists for prospecting, work was mundane/trivial.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare more knowledge of business...

Great Experience

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsEmployee Friendly
    Great learning and working environment

ConsInter department change not as impartial as the HR claims.

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!