UBS

www.ubs.com

UBS Reviews in City of London, England

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti

Sergio P. Ermotti

Pros
  • work-life balance; office culture; staff education(in 133 reviews)

• Decent work-life balance, relaxed work environment, corporate perks(in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is appalling if one wishes to get promoted(in 29 reviews)

• Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes(in 53 reviews)

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Bit like a country club

Product Control (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsVery laid back. Seems over resourced compared to competitors

ConsLots of MDs and EDs, therefore little scope for making a real impact at VP/Director level. Too top heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrim some fat from the top

Play the game and you will go far !

Middle Office (Former Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsLots of opportunity to move, and if you play the game you can progress. Probably the best place I have worked for training and courses and if you want to take on more work they will heap it on you, but you have to perform, and as long as you fit the profile you will go far.

ConsIts all about playing the game @ UBS. You make the right noises to the right people you will go far. They take you for granted after a year or two so if you haven't been promoted or looked after in that time I would say move on. This was probably the worst firm I have seen for management self promotion, and people being entirely self motivated for their own gain and to hell with everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare less about your own interests and more about the people at the bottom of the pyramid. Thats why it all went wrong. You let lots of people go who were some of the best I have worked with over promotions/payrises and you employed inferior people on higher salaries. Bad management.

Low growth

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsLarge firm, fairly open and mgt are ok

ConsLow prospects with pressure but no compensation. Some people lack respect.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to invest in future

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good very good

BDM (Former Employee) City of London, England (UK)

Proscool place to be in right people right work ethics

Consnothing much a good place to work if you can keep up with the hours

Marvellous and eye-opening

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsThe advocacy for work-life balance is astounding, especially when compared to my erstwhile employer (IB division in a commercial banking behemoth). Front-to-back systems is top-notch, meaning analysts / controllers can go about doing their proper jobs and value-add, rather than do systems patch work.
    Also, the organisation flow is very flat - and there is great openness and direct conversations had on many a subject (hence, little risk for corporate, interneccine toxicity)

ConsVery calm. Almost too calm. Then again, that's not an issue now, is it??

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

inspiring people but bureaucratic system

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) City of London, England (UK)

Prosgood atmosphere, mostly smart people, open minded and supportive, good at nurturing young talent.

Consbureacratically overloaded with admin and process, both to do the job and for your own HR development

Advice to Senior Managementpeg down the macho style a bit

UBS

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

Proshigh calibre of staff, relatively good work life balance, respectful work culture, no aggressive egos and friendly atmosphere overall, strong support for outside activities

Consbureaucratic company structures, takes a very long time to get things done, Swiss and UK approach to work do not always agree

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on your specific strengths, do preserve your European heritage and avoid purely US style banking, continue hiring ambitious and high-calibre staff,

good work culture, slow career progression

Associate Director (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

Prosgood work culture, friendly team, great work-life balance, flexible working

Consnot much career progression opportunities, siloed development, no greenfield projects

Advice to Senior Managementplease listen to employees, and give good feeback on whats happening within the organisation

A Bank which does not reward real performance

IT Technical Lead (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsA good place to start a career. A good place to learn and advance you skills.Good talented people to work with. Good employee benefits. Though most benefits are reserve for managment

ConsIncompetent middle management. Promotions are given to people who rarely work hard to deserve those promotions. Managment promotes a culture of flattery and a** kissing to recommend staff for promotion. Its mostly about "Who you know " than "How well you perform". No transparent promotion criteria. Favoritisn is rife. Certain employees are "Picked" for higher management roles using a discrimanatory no transparent "Ascent Program" to promote choosen ones.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes. Talente dand hard working people are leaveing and UBS is only left with crap non perfromers who can not find jobs else where. Have a transparent performance and promotion system. Reduce the bureaucracy among managers. Make tough decisions and get rid of the army of Managing Directors (MDs).

Good place to work

Associate Director (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsVery able, (some amazingly bright) and approachable colleagues
    Lots of possiblitiy for advancement and taklng responsibility
    Plenty of access to senior individuals
    Collegiate atmosphere is very pleasant to be a part of

ConsLow pay relative to other banks
    Support personnel are stretched, thereby putting more pressure on you to ensure jobs are done right

Advice to Senior Managementwhat the hell were we doing investing our entire balance sheet in sub-prime and associated debt? even the basics of risk management talk about a 'balanced portolfio'. seems like many senior managers forgot the basics

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!