UBS

Updated Apr 6, 2014

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti

Sergio P. Ermotti

293 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Frustrating... Some positives but, largely inhibitive for a top performer.

Client Advisor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at UBS full-time

ProsStrong product/service offering, strong brand, excellent company stability / capitalization, reasonable career opportunities, seen as one of the top 2 or 3 Private Banks globally.

ConsBelow industry average in remuneration, questionable middle management, obstructionist Compliance regime, some job insecurity, heavy office gossip, heavy political obstacles across the firm globally.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Great place to work

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people, great benefits, lots to learn here, good opportunities to move up if you apply yourself. Nice to be outside of city. Have made a lot of changes to better themselves in the last few years.

ConsSome politicking. Pay is slow to increase since financial crisis. There are always a few bad eggs that have bad attitudes about work in general. Layoffs in last few years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget about the workers when cost cutting. Working in a skeleton crew won't benefit anyone.

Great learning experience in the Asset Management division!

Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at UBS as an intern for less than a year

ProsAll of the full-time employees were extremely helpful and took the extra time to teach me.

ConsPeople showed up drunk and hungover from the night before.

UBS

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at UBS full-time for less than a year

ProsGlobal Investment Bank and Wealth Manager

ConsPoor culture and work ethic

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the trenches and see what is going on

Good work experience, but the pay was not great.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExperience with many talented people across the Wealth Management industry. Access to leaders in intellectual capital and top financial advisors.

ConsSalary stayed stagnant for multiple years despite numerous promotions. More responsibility / stress for the same pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentivize talent to keep good people from leaving the company.

Great team environment but horrible company

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary and benefits
Excellent team environment

ConsNo work life balance
Terrible executive management personnel

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the concerns and suggestions of your departments because they interact with clients on a daily basis and have a better understanding of what they need.

analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than a year

Prosyou can learn a lot from your peers and boss

Constoo many meetings with different people

Advice to Senior Managementnothing, overall is great

A true love hate relationship with UBS

Associate Director (Former Employee)
Weehawken, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time for more than a year

ProsThe technology of this bank is outdated, between the 1990's to 2000's, and the bank is far from perfect (what company is?), however instead of looking at this from a negative point of view, I saw the positive side of it. The nature of my position and the lack of resources available allowed me to utilize my creativity to the max, which also helped me improve my computer programming and communication skills greatly. The people were nice, mostly open to suggestions, and seemed to appreciate my work for the departments.

Of course, the nature of my position was made possible by my boss who was fortunately very open minded. He let me do my job independently with minimal supervision. If I have had anything less, my viewpoints would have been very different and my creativity would have been limited.

In my particular department, there was downsizing and this occurs everywhere in every company at some point or another. Thus, I can't put this as a con since this is a part of life and business restructure. Again, I looked at the downsizing as an opportunity for myself and utilized my creativity to the max to help offset the lack of resources through innovation. This is a pro because the company let me be creative, listened to my suggestions, let me execute my decisions, and overall had been very accommodating. I know a lot of people complain about the technology there (and so did I my first few months), but there are some things we can't control. I learned to focus on what I could control, and turned the negatives into major opportunities.

ConsThere are definitely cons to working at UBS. Unfortunately because of these cons, this fact had pushed me into looking for new employment about 1.5 years into the company. I am not one to criticize management or to give my personal opinion about how they should act, mainly because I do not have the full story. But I will say this:

Although the lack of resources as I mentioned above allowed me to be creative and work smarter, the lack of resources also affected my personal growth at the company. I had expected to have a small team working for me by the end of the 2nd year, and I still had no support. Think about it, if you are the only maintenance and support technician on site, what happens? You can't leave your position, ever. There would be no way for me to personally grow at this company since any promotion would indicate I would no longer be available to support my original duties.

The lack of any salary increases also was off-putting. Most people will say "but no one got a raise", or "you haven't been at the company that long" but we shouldn't think that way. Everyone is different and has different achievements and time frames. Why should I have to be at any company for even 5 years to see a promotion if my work is truly valued? I only look at my own achievements, and if the company is not giving promotions or salary increases throughout the department despite individual contributions, there really isn't much one can do but to either take it, or move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to be creative, think outside of the box, and don't just follow what others do because it is the safest and easiest way. Take chances, do things differently, push back when you have to, and see what great things can happen. The worst thing that can happen? No one listens to you. The best thing that can happen? You are viewed as a leader and others will follow suit. The transformation will be slow, but can happen with the right attitude!

Decent place to work but alot of politics

Senior Vice President IT RIsk & Security (Former Employee)
Jersey City, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation is pretty good as is holiday time

ConsA LOT of politics and being from the US in this Swiss company is definitely not desireable

Experience is what you make it.

Senior Registered Client Service Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEstablished company. Offer 401k match up to $3,000 plus company portion contribution. The company portion is a percent of your salary. Percent goes up with length of time, ex: 5 years with UBS gets you 1.5% of your salary, Employee share purchase program, 1 share for every 3 shares you purchase, vests after 3 years. 12 weeks family leave after birth of child. Average 3 weeks vacation.

ConsLow base salaries for support staff. Large corporate structure. Support staff has to put in hours worked every two weeks. No salary increases for a couple of years. Difficult to get upgraded on titles. Higher titles are given to new people coming in from outside. No overtime pay. No recognition for different individual characteristics of employees with same title as others.

Advice to Senior ManagementI higher level of happiness among your employees can improve the performance of your company.

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UBS reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti. All 293 reviews posted anonymously by UBS employees.