UBS

3.3 1,228 reviews

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti

Sergio P. Ermotti

1,228 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They also place great emphasis on work/life balance and local community activities"
    in 124 reviews
  • "It is a good company where you can develope a great job carreer within a profesional work environment"
    in 72 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bad work life balance, decreasing compensation levels"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes"
    in 52 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great company, professional culture, and good people

Wealth Strategy Associate (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at UBS full-time for less than a year

ProsFirst off, the people are a true pleasure to work with and very friendly. It is more about comradery and support and less about competitiveness. There is a very professional culture at UBS and everyone is treated with due respect. Everyone is very open to new ideas, but implementation often is hard to do. Overall, it's a great environment and a good experience.

ConsThere is a lack of mobility for career advancement in the Private Wealth Management Division. No formal training program so it was more learn as you go and hope you don't make a grave mistake. Working with other departments is challenging as communication broke down quickly and resolutions are not timely.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training program, work to easily integrate great new ideas into actual business practices, and improve cross communications between departments.

Was an intern at UBS wealth management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UBS as an intern

ProsGreat people, great benefits, and great office

ConsTravel time was long. Didn't learn much.

New Financial Advisor/Back to School

New Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at UBS full-time for less than a year

ProsThe compensation for a new financial advisor (trainee) is good. You basically get paid a salary to study. The health benefits are amazing, as well as the ability to manage your own investments. The particular office I was in had a great atmosphere, very team-oriented, nice people, and daily perks.

ConsAs a new financial advisor (trainee), you are put in the Unregistered UBS Corporate Training program. You have 2 remote calls per week with the corporate office, and everyone is so negative. They talk down to you, and you're basically an adult in grade school (getting picked on, called out in front of everyone, threatened that they'll talk to your manager if you don't do an assignment right). They are basically re-inventing the wheel with these sales tactics. The first 7 weeks are devoted to studying for the Series 7. You are given a 24 chapter book and a set of practice tests, put in a corner, and told to study. No one really pays attention to you - you do not exist until you pass that test. I was told on multiple occasions that what you learn for the 7 has nothing to do with what your real job consists of. However, no one mentored me to actually get a feel of what I'd be doing. I thought I was completely prepared for the exam, but unfortunately, I did not pass. In that case, corporate is required to let you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of such a hard focus on learning the ins and outs of UBS and studying for the exam the first 7 weeks, perhaps you should take in the New Financial Advisors under your wing and give them true hands-on experience, especially for those who are completely new to the industry (as I was).

Ups and Downs

I have been working at UBS full-time

ProsWealth Management is on the rise

ConsForm over substance sometimes and that just means somone

Advice to Senior ManagementNothig.

An incredible place to work.

I have been working at UBS

ProsThe pay and the opportunities. Travel is wonderful and the benefits are great. Many great professionals to work around.

ConsUBS has a tough work environment. Many things going on at once.

Intern

UBS Wealth Management Intern (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at UBS as an intern for less than a year

ProsStrong Leadership, Great Company, Good Experience, Nice Co-Workers

ConsHard to Get Hired as Intern

Incredibly engaging and challenging

I have been working at UBS

ProsTop tier talent, lots of resources

ConsGlobal company- very structured so it is difficult to advance quickly

Overall good, but not a place to stay long-term

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Weehawken, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe vacation policy and benefits are some of the best I've seen. People in the sales and product organizations are no nonsense, straight shooters who are also very friendly. The have a respected brand name and the most productive Advisors on the street.

ConsThe home office has become a politically-driven, bureaucratic mess. Managers are required to force-rank employees by titles even though functional roles may be completely different. This causes a lot of infighting as people vie for an ever dwindling piece of the bonus pie. They are also looking to define a culture in an industry where competitors already have clearly established cultures.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to absolute rankings and really coach your employees for sucess instead of paying it lip service.

One step forward, Three steps back.

Authorized Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI will say that the team I worked with was outstanding, and that my direct management was outstanding, given the financial crisis and other outside pressures. I am still close friends with members of that team today.

ConsPolitics at UBS, at least from the IT side of the house, are rampant. From year end evaluations and promotions to vendor selections, decisions took too long and were always under political scrutiny.

Also, its takes forever for anything to get done. The place is drowning in process. If you wanted anything to get done, you were better off doing it yourself. That in turn created a considerable amount of frustration.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision on something and execute it. More time is wasted evaluating "options" on both the technology and business side. Also - eliminate the plethora of "single points of failure" across the bank and staff your organization appropriately.

Summar Analyst

Summer Analyst (Former Employee)
Stamford, CT

I worked at UBS as an intern for less than a year

ProsSteep learning curve, largest trading floor in the world makes it a good place to understand what a sell side trader and salespeople do

ConsObviously comes with the usual cons associated with a trading floor - adrenaline pumped, filled with bros

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let talent slip

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UBS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti. All 1,228 reviews posted anonymously by UBS employees.