UBS Reviews

3.4
1,365 Reviews

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti
Sergio P. Ermotti

Pros
  • work-life balance; office culture; staff education (in 133 reviews)

• Decent work-life balance, relaxed work environment, corporate perks (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is appalling if one wishes to get promoted (in 29 reviews)

• Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Equity Research Intern

Current Employee - Equity Research Intern
    Current Employee - Equity Research Intern

I have been working at UBS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good hardworking people. Lots to learn from them. Lots of experience among them, and they make good teams. Management doesn't micromanage you. Offers room to grow and lateral movement given the initiative.

Cons

Long hours, and intensive overwatch, which makes sense given the industry.

Great group of people to work with. Pay is probably not the best in the industry however.

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at UBS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits package is pretty decent, 3 weeks worth of vacation days from start, work-life balance is pretty nice.

Cons

Difficult to move into different departments although they claim to hire from within first. Pay is lower than at other financial firms with similar positions.

Great Company

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Dallas, TX

I worked at UBS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and good training

Cons

You are on your own to build your Financial Advisory business

New Advisors should work with a team

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good

Current Employee - Director  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good opportunities to move up

Cons

very few good seniors left to learn from

Overall good experience

I worked at UBS

Pros

Good stable brokerage firm, fair time-off policies for employees and benefits. Room to grow.

Cons

No adequate or timely training depending on your role. Politics as usual.

Management

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Analyst in Hartford, CT

I have been working at UBS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I really enjoyed the people I met there and the great network that was brought with it. Location and management were also superb.

Cons

There really aren't too many negative aspects of working at UBS. People are smart, work hard, and managers don't micromanage. Hours can occasionally be long.. but it's the nature of the game.

Keep up the good work!

PWM Internship

Former Employee - Intern  in  Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Intern in Louisville, KY

I worked at UBS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learned alot in database/account management and was given great financial advice overall

Cons

Unpaid, and experience is heavily dependent on location. Internships in other locations boil down to office grindwork and not much more

New GNOC in Nashville is horrible experience because of at&t

I have been working at UBS

Pros

Many different vendors and products to work with, great learning experience. Cisco juniper riverbed HP bluecoat and more the problem is you need to be familiar with all of them to troubleshoot and as level 1 this shouldn't be expected.

Cons

The gnoc was out out sourced to India for years and they brought it to Nashville. I was brought on as a network data analyst but do the job of higher levels. Some of my co workers do not have much experience so things get dumped on me because I can resolve the issues. The leads and manager are not technical there is no one to go to if you need help and have to escalate to higher level however they Dont want to work and it will come back to you. If you take to long it will get escalated and you will have higher level management chasing you. Everything when a user complains gets escalated even if its an issue with one user and the things that are important get over looked. There's CSC and at&t involved and its a complete mess. There's no process nothing in writing and if you can fix it...you fix it. Everyone pushes and points the finger at the NCC group and expect them to do everything. We are very short handed. It is not a real NOC it is a room full of computers with 3 TVs hanging on the wall which just have some information from power point about changes going on that day. We work out of email and monitor several chat channels where we receive alarms. Anyone can join our channel and request you to check things for them and you have minutes to drop everything your doing and help them. 99% of the work is not tracked and leads Dont push back when needed to and have never been inside a router. They are there for the manager to have someone to blame when something goes wrong. At&t told the employees in 91 days they would be hired and it didn't happen. This is more of a project and nothing long term. If you can get hired from UBS it can be a great opportunity but do not take a job as a contractor under at&t. I come from senior network engineer position and work harder at this job than any other place. In fact I make less money that the first job I ever had in networking with no experience. Be prepared to work late hours I did 26 hours in 2 days last week and this week. Structure is horrible. The Nashville team is great and has potential. We found many critical issues across the board which are over looked. CSC knows things are broke and Dont work correctly but keeps them in the dark to get more money out of UBS if they fix them they see less money. If you bring them up you get pushed back and told you are level one and to do your job. Design engineers and level 2 ipdata are idiots all the good potential and very smart technical people left leaving the bottom of the barrel. The network is horrible and they have over 180 different versions of IOS. Equipment is old and end of life where Cisco won't support support most of it. The topology is a joke and there's no good network diagrams or anyone to ask questions to to help trouble shooting. No proper tools for data base and no admin rights to PC to use hot keys install config comparison tools and when you google errors from logs sites will be blocked gendering your troubleshooting. Sys log isn't granted either so good luck... You will work with a team who all has the same problems. If you need answers you have to ask the Indian team who came here to train us. Those same people who are made this network run like crap and it was brought to nashville so we could run things right but we are forced to do it the same way. This is setup for failure. leads need to go away and they need to promote the people who know the job from within. Daily I help my employees and train them with technical know how and take responsibility for critical issues and perform the leads job. UBS is a great company with huge profit and they do want these issues fixed and are on the right track but being under at&t run as fast as you can. Every employee has been there longer than leads and manager but yet they try and tell us what we should do when they Dont even do our job. UBS needs to hire in the good ones before they lose us all. The moral is very low and everyone knows this is going no where. You are brought on as level 1 and expected to do level 3 work this is how they can pay less money. You will make 35 to 45 at another company you go to but won't see close to that here. I have nothing but great things to say about UBS but all of this is directed toward at&t who UBS is using as a contractor currently. Several times at&t vice president and others came to talk to us to feed us crap and none of it has been true to try and keep us there feeding lies and anything they can do. Do not...I repeat do not work for a staffing agency that will put you in UBS working under at&t. I wouldn't have wasted my time writing this whole post if I didn't want to reach out and tell others. I speak for myself and the whole NCC Nashville team.

Get rid of the current leads. They do not do the job and are not technical we do not need three of them this way. Pay attention you will see not 1 person go to a lead for help and they swarm our desks wanting to know what were working on so they can learn about something to make them selves look good. Pay attention to the workers and who they go to for help. Think about promoting those types of people who do and know the job and help there peers to a lead position. Take ideas from the team and let them think of how to better something since we do the work not the other way around. Step back and let the team take care of business and Dont interfere. We could lose all three leads right now and not 1 thing would happen. Not in the slightest way would it hurt the team. In fact numbers would improve slightly because we Dont have to tell them and explain what the issues are. Let us do our job and bounce our own ideas off eachother and let us make our own internal process to make our lives easier. If you want something done a certain way put it in writing so its across the board not verbal to a few who passes that a long we need documentation on this as a set in stone approach. Upper management must lead by example not the other way around. You have your foot soldiers running things and taking responsibility to get the job done. We are requested to put all emails inside the work ticket about an issue but not 1 group does including top management. We have no problem copying our own but if we do that for them they never will start. Upper management out of the NOC needs to do these things them selves and lead by example but that is a dream because no one cares or has any pride in the work. Blame NCC on everything. We need about 15 more people to do this job the way they want it ran. The manager at&t has over the NOC is actually great she sticks up for the team and understands were overwealmed with work and knows the frustration and is in the same boat as her peers. She can be tough but that's what makes her a good manager. She doesn't need to be technical and that's where the leads should come in but that's where the biggest problems are. These problems can be fixed but I'm not sure at&t gives my manager the propal approval to do these things or make these changes. Its not the managers fault why this is so horrible and if she can fix it she would. The leads are under a union with at&t they can't just fire them but my advice is to sit them in the corner and have them just read emails all day like they do because they cant do the job and have them leave the workers alone. Promote your go to people to lead the team and come to them directly as a lead. When something hits the fan its not the leads you have who have to explain to top people within the company what happend or what will be done to fix it its your peers...........they run asking us so they can sound smart and relay the information. They are completely worthless to anyone in the NOC just get them out of the way.

Not a great place for an intern.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at UBS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Lots of interactions and group activities.

Cons

What's considered technically advanced here is obsolete in the west.

Job at UBS was okay

I have been working at UBS

Pros

My co-workers were nice. When I had questions they would answer them and operations was very helpful.

Cons

Constant micromanagement. I would be given very little instruction and was expected to know everything with minimal instruction.

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!