UBS

3.3 1,228 reviews

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti

Sergio P. Ermotti

1,228 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "They also place great emphasis on work/life balance and local community activities"
    in 124 reviews
  • "It is a good company where you can develope a great job carreer within a profesional work environment"
    in 72 reviews
Cons:
  • "Bad work life balance, decreasing compensation levels"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes"
    in 52 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A Global Firm with tremendous growth potential.

Business Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS

ProsCareer Opportunities provided including global mobility opportunities. Work/Life Balance is recognized by management as a key necessity and is part of the culture. Tuition Reimbursement provides me a great opportunity to pursue my MBA part-time.

ConsMorale is low right now. Leadership changes have been occurring frequently, along with constant re-organizations of departments within the Investment Bank, and department names. There are rumors of continual troubles, and articles in the press constantly which affect our image and the morale of employees. A lot of uncertainty right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick to the business model of one integrated firm, which enabled UBS to grow and succeed in previous years.

Great place for junior bankers to learn and grow as professionals

Investment Banking Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS

ProsGroups normally smaller so greater intimacy but with the resources (brand, human resources / knowledge sharing, production resources, etc) of a global bank

Consusual banking downsides - long hours, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementMore feedback to junior bankers

UBS - Potentially Great, but needs more "Us" and less "You" within the organization.

I have been working at UBS

ProsThe firm has a broad global reach with market-leading capabilities in almost all markets. If the firm's current restructuring efforts are effective in integrating all the disparate areas into One Firm, it will eventually provide a phenomenal platform within which to build a global career.

ConsThe One Firm integration has not yet been executed effectively, resulting in disparate appetities for and analysis of risk and innovation in different areas of the firm, creating frustration for many, and stimying some excellent business efforts while allowing other, less appropriate efforts to barrel forward unchecked (a la subprime). The difficulty of finding the "experts" in each area and the lack of a real, centralized knowledge base also makes it difficult to navigate beyond your area. However, these things are in development.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't continue to acquire businesses and expand rapidly beyond your core business without understanding the risks and rewards of each business. Also, ensure that different businesses are integrated and able to share knowledge as much as possible.

UBS stay away for now!

Accounting Manager (Current Employee)
Weehawken, NJ

I have been working at UBS

ProsThe work environment is good, people I interact with are very nice, down to earth and easy to communicate with. This includes co-workers as well as the business area I support.

ConsUBS has been in the news lately and it hasn't been good news. There are a lot of changes, layoffs and management changes are happen almost regularly. Not the best place to work at this time. Due to cost savings initiatives, I feel like we are being nickel and dimed everywhere (cafeteria, ferry service in 2009, fitness facilities even ATM machines that were free). I feel communications is poor on a local level as well as higher firmwide level. Too to much politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore meaningful communications with employees would be a good start, not BS town hall meetings where everything is great, UBS is doing well, gathering assets faster than competitors blah, blah blah. It doesn't sync with what's in the real news. We're all adults, tell is like it is.

Software Engineer having to use crap technologies and seeing friends and management laid off left and right

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Weehawken, NJ

I worked at UBS

ProsIts better than unemployment, learn about the financial industry, and because people are laid off like crazy (5,000+ in the last year, including my boss's boss's boss), there is room for growth, if you don't get laid off.

ConsHours (70-80 hr shifts in the SUMMER- 8pm status meetings, working weekends, being called at 3am or so), Money stinks for your hours, incompetent management, terrible benefits, no job security at all, technology is antiquated (my group wanted to convert Java code to COBOL!!!), afraid to take risks with "new" (meaning technology 5 years old.. they are just barely using JSTL!) technology, people are rude, work to save themselves, not the company.. just a miserable place to work, raises/promotions are based on a rediculous system

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees fairly, have a better work-life ratio, don't use that rediculous system for raises when no manager grades the same, use new technologies, have better communication... better.. all of you guys quit and start the company over.

What used to be the world's greatest bank is now essentially a branch of Merrill Lynch and Smith Barney.

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
La Jolla, CA

I worked at UBS

ProsGreat benefits, used to have a decent brand image.

ConsBrand image has suffered dramatically. They have hired too many Merrill Lynch and Smith Barney folks.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone; there is no senior management around that I would recognize these days. However, due to the influx of "outsiders" in to the organization, there is no culture in this firm. This leads to a loss of vision and sense of purpose in the rank-and-file employees. This has a drastic negative impact when you are a service organization. Thinking differently is not encouraged at UBS due to the politics and personalities and that stifles development.

Run away.

IT Support Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at UBS

ProsMoney, pay is good and turn over is high, so getting a job at UBS is fairly easy. If you want to be able to put a major international bank on your resume UBS is a good place to look. Employees are constantly leaving or shuffling about with in the company, especially in the technology and support areas.
Pay was reasonable, I received healthy compensation despite having no college degree and little previous experience. Reasonable leeway was also give to me for occasionally working from home.
The company goes out of its way be a very gay friendly environment, hosting pride celebrations and offering benefits to domestic partners.

ConsThe culture of greed and self importance, especially in the research department leads to ulcers and self loathing.
In particular the Equities Research department is filled with a host of self important jerks who don't care about what anyone else has to do or say, only themselves. Supporting research analysts is one of the most thankless jobs I have ever had, and I've worked in the kitchen of a Mexican restaurant (not as a cook). I had doors slammed in my face, been yelled at because I couldn't complete a favor fast enough, and received little to no help from my direct superior in tracking down information or company policy and procedure even during my first few weeks.
Working the trading floor is only slightly less pleasant, but only because traders don't have the time to be as nasty as the analysts.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication and more consideration for employees who aren't multi-millionaires would be a great idea. Try growing a backbone and standing up to the more powerful and lucrative employees.

UBS overview

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at UBS

ProsReputation and learning opportunities within the organization

ConsLong hours sometimes, but not too bad

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

UBS a good place for bankers but not for IT people

IT Manager (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at UBS

ProsUBS really pays well compared to other industries. The brand is strong despite the trouble UBS is going through right now. The bank is a true global player, which you can feel in your daily work. You act with dozens of different nations and often work in truly global teams.

ConsOver the years, I have seen a dramatic shift in how UBS treats IT. IT staff have become a kind of second class personnel who get less promoted, are often seen as "stupid" nerds and have little career progression if remaining in IT. UBS offers career support for bankers or people working in business teams. But there is no career planning for IT people anymore. For your IT career in UBS it’s more important in which country you work rather than how well you perform.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should stop thinking it knows everything and can therefore make all decisions alone. Why so many business graduates in UBS believe they know everything about technology and therefore don't trust the expertise of their engineers (who spent years at universities as well)? UBS complains about not finding enough top engineers on the market. No wonder if there is little career opportunity left for those people. If UBS wants to find IT talents it needs to offer active careers and not only jobs.

Could do better

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at UBS

ProsGlobal reach and opportunities and encouragement towards job mobility

ConsPoor financial reputation now and potential loss of clients

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate - why do I hear about changes through Google Alerts not through internal comms?

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UBS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti. All 1,228 reviews posted anonymously by UBS employees.