UBS

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.3 1,302 reviews

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti

Sergio P. Ermotti

Pros
  • work-life balance; office culture; staff education (in 133 reviews)

• Decent work-life balance, relaxed work environment, corporate perks (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is appalling if one wishes to get promoted (in 29 reviews)

• Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights
1,302 Employee Reviews

Interesting position reviewing accounts for suitability purposes

Compliance Officer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsLots of training available
    Friendly staff and can ask any one questions
    Conduct different reviews covering many areas
    Open door policy
    If you get your work done on time and it is quality, you will succeed

ConsNot easy to move up the food chain
    Need fresh ideas to create different reviews
    Time off is sufficient
    Bonuses will not be the best out there

Fantastic company to work for.

GTP Wealth Management (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe culture and atmosphere are unique to the industry. Very welcoming. With the somewhat resent turn-over in upper management, the company (and stock price) have been on the rise. UBS is back to being a "cool" firm to work for.

ConsNone witnessed thus far in Wealth Management. However, the IB side is not what it used to be. BUT, that is all part of Ermotti and McCann's grand plan.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up. The firm is on a great path.

FA Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery nice culture and fast pace

Conslots of work to do everyday

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, professional culture, and good people

Wealth Strategy Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsFirst off, the people are a true pleasure to work with and very friendly. It is more about comradery and support and less about competitiveness. There is a very professional culture at UBS and everyone is treated with due respect. Everyone is very open to new ideas, but implementation often is hard to do. Overall, it's a great environment and a good experience.

ConsThere is a lack of mobility for career advancement in the Private Wealth Management Division. No formal training program so it was more learn as you go and hope you don't make a grave mistake. Working with other departments is challenging as communication broke down quickly and resolutions are not timely.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training program, work to easily integrate great new ideas into actual business practices, and improve cross communications between departments.

New Financial Advisor/Back to School

New Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe compensation for a new financial advisor (trainee) is good. You basically get paid a salary to study. The health benefits are amazing, as well as the ability to manage your own investments. The particular office I was in had a great atmosphere, very team-oriented, nice people, and daily perks.

ConsAs a new financial advisor (trainee), you are put in the Unregistered UBS Corporate Training program. You have 2 remote calls per week with the corporate office, and everyone is so negative. They talk down to you, and you're basically an adult in grade school (getting picked on, called out in front of everyone, threatened that they'll talk to your manager if you don't do an assignment right). They are basically re-inventing the wheel with these sales tactics. The first 7 weeks are devoted to studying for the Series 7. You are given a 24 chapter book and a set of practice tests, put in a corner, and told to study. No one really pays attention to you - you do not exist until you pass that test. I was told on multiple occasions that what you learn for the 7 has nothing to do with what your real job consists of. However, no one mentored me to actually get a feel of what I'd be doing. I thought I was completely prepared for the exam, but unfortunately, I did not pass. In that case, corporate is required to let you go.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of such a hard focus on learning the ins and outs of UBS and studying for the exam the first 7 weeks, perhaps you should take in the New Financial Advisors under your wing and give them true hands-on experience, especially for those who are completely new to the industry (as I was).

Was an intern at UBS wealth management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great benefits, and great office

ConsTravel time was long. Didn't learn much.

Ups and Downs

ProsWealth Management is on the rise

ConsForm over substance sometimes and that just means somone

Advice to Senior ManagementNothig.

Horrible

ProsDecent insurance. Short commute though

ConsOnly care about bottom line

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out of the business

My experience at UBS was both good and bad, depending on the situation

Complex Control Officer (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsWorking in a complex environment allowed a bit more freedom to make decisions without having to go through the home office

ConsThere was trickle down effect through layers of middle management with everyone wanting to "cover" themselves and shift the blame/responsibility down to the next level. Very poor process for annual evaluations with certain percentages of people being forced to be slotted into certain review levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile accountability is a good thing, be aware that many in middle management are only protecting themselves and not helping develop talent or do what is in the best interest of the client or firm.

Decent company if you don't aim high

Wealth Strategy Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork-life balance
    Nice office space
    Respectful management

ConsSalary
    Growth opportunities
    Silo work environment

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!