UBS Reviews in United Kingdom

3.4
1,368 Reviews

UBS CEO Sergio P. Ermotti
Sergio P. Ermotti

Pros
  • work-life balance; office culture; staff education (in 133 reviews)

• Decent work-life balance, relaxed work environment, corporate perks (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is appalling if one wishes to get promoted (in 29 reviews)

• Lack of clear strategy due to too many senior management changes (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

143 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Positive

Former Employee - Associate Director, Business Analyst/FICC ChFCC  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Director, Business Analyst/FICC ChFCC in London, England (UK)

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with like minded driven, motivated colleagues
    Collaborative environment
    Great team ethos
    Supportive team and managers

Cons

Flat structure
    Pay
    Career development opportunities
    Cumbersome systems can slow down processes

Reward colleagues appropriately

UBS Response

Jun 26, 2014Tal Acquisition

Thank you for your suggestion.

Fine company to work for unless you have equity in it

Current Employee - Legal  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Legal in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than a year

Pros

The atmosphere is generally quite nice, however a few branches are feeling the heat and the higher-ups there are breathing down their neck.
    Compliance has strict mandates but is very transparent and forward if the bank actually try and listen

Cons

The company tumbled in 2008-2009 and is still reeling. Depending on the branch they could be in hot water. Regardless, if you have stock in the company it is very volatile

Focus on things other than how the sky is falling, moving up is static after a handful of years.

Ok

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good holiday. Good childrens Christmas party.

Cons

IB treated better than WM.

All employees should be treated the same

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Okay

Current Employee - FICC Sales and Trading  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - FICC Sales and Trading in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UBS as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Pay is good, some people are very nice. Notice: some is the keyword

Cons

Work was mundane and unrealistic. I hated banking after the internship. Nothing like i thought. One of my bosses was an idiot who does not understand maths and wanted a naive tool to make money.

Get a grip. Not impressed with the scandals that were going on at the time (libor fixing and rogue trading)

Duct-taped conglomeration of mediocrity

Former Employee - Associate Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at UBS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of beaurocracy and hand-waving to hide behind and do your own thing without much scrutiny.

Cons

Impossible to actually get anything done of substance since all the real talent eventually leaves. Mediocre talent, too much focus on sales and less on substance.

Hire top investment people, give them autonomy to build businesses, pay their people, and recreate a good culture.

Traditional Wealth Management

Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Registered Client Service Associate in London, England (UK)

I worked at UBS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Colleagues, nice work-life balance, nice culture

Cons

It is difficult to move internally

Previous Management has left

Good opportunities await.

I worked at UBS

Pros

I was at UBS AG for one year. I really enjoyed the people I worked with and the breadth of experience that were available to me as soon as I stepped through the door. The training is solid with assistance in either the IMC or CFA qualification if you so choose.

Cons

The markets weren't kind to UBS the year that I was with them. Cut backs and redundancies plagued the bank. This greatly affected the moral of the team and subsequent departments.

I am in no position to be giving advice to UBS, but I guess if employees have been invested in through the IMC or CFA qualification perhaps they should not be so easily overlooked.

Unfulfilled potential and a lot of lost talent, but still a lot of good things about it

Former Employee - Not Disclosed  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Not Disclosed in London, England (UK)

I worked at UBS full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Culture is generally welcoming, work-life practices are actually implemented and encouraged, benefits are good and the mindset is global. people are some of the brightest and nicest in the city.

Cons

not much resource for training, still a lot of bureaucracy, and support functions have been industrialised / out sourced which is a major barrier to an effective and slick workforce. the complaint generally - and fairly - is "its not what it used to be". Has put a lot of effort into transforming, but not always in the right direction.

IT Manager with several years of service

Current Employee - Associate Director - IT  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Associate Director - IT in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UBS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff are generally friendly, supportive, cooperative, in other words a good bunch. Work-life balance is reasonably flexible, and compensation is fair in my experience, but with wide variation apparently. Get yourself on the right IT project(s) and you can have a great experience here, but make sure your projects have business-visibility and an appropriate budget. For some, including myself, working in a highly distributed and culturally diverse environment is a bonus.

Cons

In general the business regards IT as simply an expense, to be minimised. This culture can lead to frustration for any ambitious IT staff in terms of project budgets, creative opportunities, renumeration and promotion prospects. IT management lacks direction, has low visibility, and staff turnover is high.

Bring the business and IT groups together. Exemplify the company values that you preach, or change the values. Spend more time travelling and meeting other employees.

One Year Intern

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at UBS as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment and a good number of days off. In general rewards system is alright, but if you are looking for loyalty bonuses, this is probably not the best place for you. Employee tend to bounce around and change positions quickly even with-in the department.

Cons

- decreasing headcount and offshore direction
    - long hours
    - huge turnaround.

Try to keep you employees for longer. As an intern I "outlived" 7 permanent members of the team.

Worked for UBS? Contribute to the Community!