UC Davis

UC Davis Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi

Linda Katehi

Pros
  • Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments(in 9 reviews)

• People are friendly and not judgmental(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the campus has serious problems with budget cuts and therefore our hours(in 7 reviews)

• Fairly low pay (for IT at least) compared to private sector(in 6 reviews)

good benefit

Staff Research Associate (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

Prosgood benefit
    a lot of collaborations, a lot of projects going on, good resource, high quality collaborators

Consbad work life balance, too many project at the same time, no day and no night, no weekend

Analyst I

ProsThere are a lot of resources for employees and the benefits are great.

ConsThere is an overall attitude that you are lucky to have gotten the job and you should figure things out on your own.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetaining employees in positions where they can grow and become experts would be a time and cost savings to the institution. An employee should have the opportunity to apply for their boss' job, thus creating a vacuum. Instead recruitment is not done locally and morale is very low.

Research assistant

ProsI had an awesome professor

ConsThere was a lot of tedious work

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing great

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Supportive environment with excellent training

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Davis, CA

Pros- Excellent training programs, consulting services, and workshops to equip the Teaching Assistants and maintain a quality education environment.
    - Opportunities to teach in many diverse settings, such as lectures, discussion sessions, and wet labs.
    - Freedom to experiment with different teaching methods with minimal outside interference.

ConsFor a class size over 300 students, the grading process for midterms and finals can be dreadful and take up to 10 hours to finish.

Academia is a slog

ProsFlexibility, great faculty, beautiful campus.

ConsThe soul sucking nature of academic work in the Humanities.

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

Excellent School !!

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsOne of the most research oriented schools with a highly experienced faculty and massive funding.

Consnone that I can think of

Sometimes supportive, sometimes not

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGood opportunities, great reputation especially for research.

ConsA lot of cronyism, have to fight to be recognized unless friends with the bosses.

Decent university with some poor upper management in a annoying town.

Graduate Student Researcher (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsAs a graduate researcher it is almost completely dependent on which professor your working for. The small bit that is not professor dependent had its positives: the other graduate students a great and make a substantial community that can be very fun to participate in.

ConsAs a graduate researcher it is almost completely dependent on which professor your working for. The small bit that is not professor dependent had its negatives: the administration level employees do not seem to have a good grasp on what is they are being asked to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people below you.

Great science community

Junior Specialist (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsColleagues who love what they do and care about what others learn from them. It is always about science with a twist, not the learn by rote method.

ConsThe weather can be very extreme.

Great research institution

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsNovel research, access to med/vet schools for collaboration, friendly environment

ConsCould be more inter department/college communication, not knowing what tools/research are available in other departments

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better at recruiting for graduate (MS, PhD) careers outside of academia, and networking with Bay Area biotech companies.

Worked for UC Davis? Contribute to the Community!