UC Davis Medical Center

Ann Madden Rice

As good as it can be...

Trainer (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsManagement is hands off and allows us to work to provide the highest level of training and classroom experience available.

ConsShort contract and water shortage is a bummer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the end-users through out the year so that they can learn in smaller chunks.

Great job, good people

AA II (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsThis has been good, steady work with above average pay and great benefits

ConsI don't really have anything negative to say at this time.

I am a volunteer clerical worker but I wish there was a paid internship for me.

Prosyou get experience working in a office .

Consyou don't get paid when you really need a job to pay your bills and rent.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to get train in an internship program for clerical work and get paid to help gas to get there .
    I am in an internship with Sacramento works but they can't find any work for now. I wish I could combined my internship with my volunteer program so I can get paid and still learn at the same time. My program will pay half my wages to the company that accepts me for work and training . I hope you can work something out soon. Need a Job really bad.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

discontent lab employees

(Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay. Good benefits. Lots of potential, maybe it depends on where/when you are within the organization. Recommend the place, if there is a way you can meet the people you will be working with before signing on.

ConsPoor attitudes and work ethics in some workers can bring the place down for the rest. This seems encouraged by the heavy presence of the unions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCheck on what your employees are actually doing, especially at night: There were people leaving premises while on the clock, having long personal conversations on cell/company phones during company hours, and blatant (privacy) policy violations. Meanwhile the employees who cared picked up the slack by working twice as hard and were run out or worn down in morale if they didn't shut their mouth and go along with it.

Stable organization-slim growth opportunity

Thought Leader (Former Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

Pros1. This is the best place if you want a stable I.T. job.
    2. I got a chance to hear the CIO in one of the department meetings. Really liked his vision and startegy. I wish if his managers were as talented as him.
    3. There are some talented developers, supervisors and administrators.

Cons1. You are allowed to move from one department to another. Internal growth may be challenging.
    2. I.T. Middle management are more people manager and less technical managers
    3. Middle Management cares more about if you come on time than if the work is done. Typical government - punch in , punch out philosophy.
    4. If you know someone, it may be easier to get hired even though you may not have the knowledge or fit the job description.
     5. The hiring process is quite "old school"
    6. No Enterprise Architect in I.T. - badly need architects across department to define strategy and road map.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote growth internally
    Revisit the hiring process.
    Salaries are good, but, may need an upward shift to draw good talent
    Can easily cut I.T. workforce by 20 % and still keep same productivity
    No Enterprise Architect in I.T. - badly need architects
    Introduce "Self service" as part of Analytical Reporting Strategy

One of the best staffed emergency rooms

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe staff, location, a level 1 center.

ConsNone. The staff and everyone here is beyond professional.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Decent place to work

Prosthe pay is decent, the people are decent and the benefits are pretty decent as well.

ConsI think this place is more revenue driven than people driven

Advice to Senior ManagementMy imm. management is great.

Great place to work

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat hardworking, intelligent, friendly and happy people to work with(at least in comparison to my experiences at Kaiser/Sutter in the area).
    The only Magnet recognized hospital in the Sacramento Region.
    Great environment to learn from fellow healthcare team members, MD's are (usually) more than happy to take the time to explain new procedures/disease processes/treatments.
    Opportunities to float to other units to observe what it is like to work elsewhere using the "Bridges to Excellence" program.
    Lots of continuuing education offered on the medical campus.
    Decent pay, good Benefits.
    Level 1 trauma center gives great experience if you like busy ER/Trauma/ICU/Burn/Pediatric type patients.

ConsLower pay than nearby hospitals.
    Not always as much support as RN's at other hospitals have(no CNA's, LVN's, RN's do most all their blood draws and EKG's... etc).
    In my years here had 1 bad manager(who was demoted) and 2 great managers.

Love it here. I am a nurse that has worked in three states!!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsHigh CA pay and lower cost of living compared to LA and San Francisco
    Good Union support--nurses get regular pay raise
    Good working environment--leadership, education, social responsibility, teamwork
    Teaching Hospital, so education of new nurses and doctors is highly supported

ConsOlder hospital departments need remodeling
    For me: I am far away from family
    Hospital is a CAMPUS--so new employees can get lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. UC Davis is an awesome place to work! I have worked in several hospitals across three states and this working environment, culture and pay is BY FAR-- the BEST. UC Davis really takes care of their nurses. I look forward to many years at UC Davis!

A great learning environment!

Volunteer In OR (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsA great learning experience with multiple opportunities to advance and further your working knowledge and career. An excellent surgical staff.

ConsSome of the employees can be whiny. Have to veer away from negative people who like to complain. However, most of the employees are amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is excellent! They work very hard to keep everything running smoothly and to keep their employees happy and satisfied!

Worked for UC Davis Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC Davis Medical Center reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UC Davis Medical Center CEO Ann Madden Rice. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by UC Davis Medical Center employees.