UC Davis Medical Center

Ann Madden Rice

32 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A Powerful opportunity with a Quality employer

Medical Office Service Coordinator (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsStrong Leadership and inspiration to advance as an employee.

ConsI found that it was difficult to obtain a positive relationship with my co-workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more detailed time on follow up training with new employees.

As good as it can be...

Trainer (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsManagement is hands off and allows us to work to provide the highest level of training and classroom experience available.

ConsShort contract and water shortage is a bummer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain the end-users through out the year so that they can learn in smaller chunks.

Great job, good people

AA II (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsThis has been good, steady work with above average pay and great benefits

ConsI don't really have anything negative to say at this time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stable organization-slim growth opportunity

Thought Leader (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

Pros1. This is the best place if you want a stable I.T. job.
    2. I got a chance to hear the CIO in one of the department meetings. Really liked his vision and startegy. I wish if his managers were as talented as him.
    3. There are some talented developers, supervisors and administrators.

Cons1. You are allowed to move from one department to another. Internal growth may be challenging.
    2. I.T. Middle management are more people manager and less technical managers
    3. Middle Management cares more about if you come on time than if the work is done. Typical government - punch in , punch out philosophy.
    4. If you know someone, it may be easier to get hired even though you may not have the knowledge or fit the job description.
     5. The hiring process is quite "old school"
    6. No Enterprise Architect in I.T. - badly need architects across department to define strategy and road map.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote growth internally
    Revisit the hiring process.
    Salaries are good, but, may need an upward shift to draw good talent
    Can easily cut I.T. workforce by 20 % and still keep same productivity
    No Enterprise Architect in I.T. - badly need architects
    Introduce "Self service" as part of Analytical Reporting Strategy

Great place to work

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat hardworking, intelligent, friendly and happy people to work with(at least in comparison to my experiences at Kaiser/Sutter in the area).
    The only Magnet recognized hospital in the Sacramento Region.
    Great environment to learn from fellow healthcare team members, MD's are (usually) more than happy to take the time to explain new procedures/disease processes/treatments.
    Opportunities to float to other units to observe what it is like to work elsewhere using the "Bridges to Excellence" program.
    Lots of continuuing education offered on the medical campus.
    Decent pay, good Benefits.
    Level 1 trauma center gives great experience if you like busy ER/Trauma/ICU/Burn/Pediatric type patients.

ConsLower pay than nearby hospitals.
    Not always as much support as RN's at other hospitals have(no CNA's, LVN's, RN's do most all their blood draws and EKG's... etc).
    In my years here had 1 bad manager(who was demoted) and 2 great managers.

Love it here. I am a nurse that has worked in three states!!

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsHigh CA pay and lower cost of living compared to LA and San Francisco
    Good Union support--nurses get regular pay raise
    Good working environment--leadership, education, social responsibility, teamwork
    Teaching Hospital, so education of new nurses and doctors is highly supported

ConsOlder hospital departments need remodeling
    For me: I am far away from family
    Hospital is a CAMPUS--so new employees can get lost.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. UC Davis is an awesome place to work! I have worked in several hospitals across three states and this working environment, culture and pay is BY FAR-- the BEST. UC Davis really takes care of their nurses. I look forward to many years at UC Davis!

A great learning environment!

Volunteer In OR (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsA great learning experience with multiple opportunities to advance and further your working knowledge and career. An excellent surgical staff.

ConsSome of the employees can be whiny. Have to veer away from negative people who like to complain. However, most of the employees are amazing.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management is excellent! They work very hard to keep everything running smoothly and to keep their employees happy and satisfied!

Research, good working hours and conditions, pay and job stability not so good

Staff Research Associate I (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsState of the art labs and equipment
    Research with direct patient access
    Lenient working hours
    Constant training available in related fields
    Benefits are excellent, extensive health plan, retirement plan, free flu shots.
    Cheap transportation from UC Davis

ConsExtremely limited chances for advancement
    Pay is about 75% of that in private sector
    Bureaucracy is large and cripplingly slow
    Grants are unreliable, very poor job security
    Parking is very expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh turnover in research is because of very low pay compared to neighboring companies.

Limited growth and upward mobility for managers in academic University medical center.

Practice Manager (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsDedicated and professional workforce. Great place to start a career, especially for women.

ConsFavoritism, nepotism govern hiring decisions, raises, and bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to regain the trust of the hard working middle managers. Retirements have created a brain drain and lack of comeraderie between depts. Compensation packages for senior/executive management are excessive when middle managers went for consecutive years without raises. Increase the visibility of the CEO and COO throughout Health System.

A great learning experience with multiple opportunities to advance and further your working knowledge of your career

Medical Office Service Coordinator/Front Office Medical Assistant (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat Benefits, good working environment in most areas, support from supervisory personnel and plenty of opportunities for lateral and forward advancement as well as individual and company wide employee recognition.

ConsA bit front loaded with upper management who do not always act as one voice creating confusion during new procedure implementation. Parking is always a challenge and you have to pay for the privilege of maybe not finding a parking space. (to adapt you just learn to not move your car during the day)

Advice to Senior ManagementBoth executive and workforce employees are integral parts of what makes this hospital successful. Please let your workforce at least weigh in about changes to their daily workflow.

Worked for UC Davis Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!