UC Davis

UC Davis Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi

Linda Katehi

Pros
  • Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments(in 9 reviews)

• People are friendly and not judgmental(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the campus has serious problems with budget cuts and therefore our hours(in 7 reviews)

• Fairly low pay (for IT at least) compared to private sector(in 6 reviews)

GSR Step 1

ProsIn stat and out of state tuition waived

ConsStipend is meagre but does the job. In summer, working full time is good.

Goal-oriented, good management, and friendly people

Student Assistant III (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsAs a student, I was given clear instructions for my assignments. Supervisors are open and available for questions and give their employees room to grow and learn different skills. Since I was a part-time employee, my hours were flexible and they were willing to fit my needs. People are friendly and helpful.

ConsMore training for their full-time employees for specific projects. Allow more opportunities to take on more challenging projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay and more opportunities to grow professionally.

The right place for those committed to contributing to society

Faculty (Former Employee)

ProsMany dedicated staff and faculty
    Opportunities in a range of areas with the right background
    Still have very good benefits....they are eroding

ConsSalaries are not competitive
    Senior management is leading the institution as tho it is a private corporation, not a public institution. The historical values of UC are being corrupted

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eye on eroding benefits. Salaries are not competitive for the typical employee but benefits are a draw...don't let them continue to decline
    Top level administrators have forgotten that UC is a public institution and should be serving the needs of CA

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Nice

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat location, lots of opportunities in government agencies, developement of connections

ConsDifficult to get promoted in such position, need to move on shortly after finish training

Good Student Experience

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsVery scholarly environment with grads and researchers passionate about their field of study.

ConsNot many cons - it's a student job, after all. Higher pay for the students, perhaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunities are valuable to students. Please continue to provide them in greater number, especially in biological/chemical research where there are many students vying for few jobs.

Meets standards but does not astonish you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsOpportunities are general, not much restrictions.

ConsToo many unnecessary procedures and too much ridiculous competitions (B.A majors compete lab opportunities with B.S. majors) and you'll never have the resources you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany departments have overlapped functions. Moreover, these overlapped functions are not professional and compulsory. Should simplify the administration to enhance efficiency.

Co-workers are some of the best people to work with, but the work itself is mindless, busy-work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsEasy work and opportunities to talk and engage with guests and co-workers. Management of the MRAs are done by student employees as well, and they are very personable as well.

ConsBusy work and lots of downtime walking around the ARC pretending to be busy.

Working at UC Davis

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsI am working as a post-doctoral researcher. So, my experience should be considered only for my department as there is not much interaction with rest of the University and students. I had a good time working in the lab.

ConsThere is no interaction of the post-doctoral researchers with the students or rest of the department. This makes them detached from the University in general. This is more so for foreigners who were not connected to UCD for their previous education.

Great place to work and live

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee)

ProsUC Davis has a large campus environment - high impact research and education - with a small town feel. The undergraduate student body is Intelligent and motivated, and the graduate students very engaging. Faculty are often truly dedicated to both their research and teaching, which can be rare at a Research One school.

ConsDepending on your hiring status and capacity, there can be limited opportunities for advancement. The relaxed feel to the campus may seem too slow for persons from faster paced regions. It can be easy to loose the pulse of the nation in this college town.

Benefits are amazing

Program Representative I (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsBenefits are amazing
    In my line of work, salary is okay
    Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments.
    Feel like I am doing some important work

ConsTraining can be lacking and I don't see a whole lot of room for advancement in my field unless I go get a PhD and become an academic.
    Often, computer systems and other technological areas are very outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ignore support staff.

Worked for UC Davis? Contribute to the Community!