UC Davis Reviews

Updated September 29, 2014
4.0

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi
Linda Katehi

Pros
  • Fast paced working environment, people are friendly at work, great location (in 11 reviews)

• Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the campus has serious problems with budget cuts and therefore our hours (in 7 reviews)

• Some of the full time workers are not nice (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work and learn

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent pay for graduate students. Always got the classes I wanted to TA. Cheap rent and food. Overall great town.

Cons

Old facilities with no immediate plans for remodeling. Difficult to collaborate with the medical school because of location.

Update the facilities.

Great time as an intern at UCD

I worked at UC Davis

Pros

The schedule is flexible and good for students. It's also fun and enjoyable if you choose to work in something you're interested in.

Cons

Not much to complain about. Sometimes tasks can get repetitive but that is a given for the type of job I was doing/

Great school to work for!

Former Employee - Coho Employee  in  Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Coho Employee in Davis, CA

I worked at UC Davis part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly environment and great people!

Cons

No real cons here. The administration does a good job.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed my time working for the Fitness and Wellness Department, the staff was extremely friendly!

Former Employee - Personal Trainer  in  Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Personal Trainer in Davis, CA

I worked at UC Davis part-time for more than a year

Pros

-Friendly staff
    -Flexible Hours
    - The facilities are absolutely outstanding and their gym has to be one of the best in the county
    Fantastic working environment and conditions

Cons

-Below industry standard pay.
    -Cap of 20 hours for students

Overall, I feel that the management did a great job. I enjoyed the flexibility that allowed me to work and take part as a full-time student.

That college job

I worked at UC Davis part-time

Pros

A standard job at UC Davis comes with lenient working hours for the scholarly students, a standard minimum wage pay, and convenience of being located at the campus where one attends class. Although one would think that school jobs aren't that great because of the low pay, the other two factors, as well as the experience one gets from the job would certainly make up for it.

Cons

Of course, there are low benefits and the minimum wage are definite turn-offs for some of the more money-reliant students on campus. You certainly won't be able to save up to buy a house with a UC Davis student minimum wage job pay and you definitely will be doing the same task every day, which may or may not be a turn-off.

It's grad school...

Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher  in  Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Davis, CA

I worked at UC Davis full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's grad school, so pros are getting an education, some letters after your name, work experience, and network connections. Pay varies greatly by department and where your money is coming from. Manager style also varies greatly, so that could be a pro or con depending on who you work with. The healthcare plan is pretty good and they offer childcare reimbursement now. If you're able to achieve any work-life balance, Davis is nicely situated geographically near lots of things to do (beach, mountains, skiing, hiking, climbing, San Francisco, Napa Valley, etc.). The weather is pretty awesome all year round (on the warm side, but fairly moderate and not much weather or natural disaster risk), and it's one of the most bike-friendly cities in the country.

Cons

It's grad school, so you have no life, but that's what you signed up for.

Grad students are basically slave laborers, but I doubt anything will ever change that. Maintain open communication and transparency about performance and expectations. Be open and realistic about job prospects after graduation. Provide more opportunities for acquiring skills necessary for non-academic careers.

Postdoctoral

I have been working at UC Davis

Pros

Nice city, nice people and friendly staff

Cons

Small city. Everything was great

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis for more than 8 years

Pros

The per diem work allows me to let them know when I am available. Automatic enrollment in 403B is a great thing for saving from the start.

Cons

Getting on permanently is difficult with very few openings.

Decent experience. Slight entitlement atmosphere.

Current Employee - Programmer II  in  Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer II in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay is quite low compared to private sector but benefits and very stable employment make up for that. Very relaxed work environment maybe even a little to relaxed sometimes.

Cons

A lot of entitlement and complacency from the 10+ year employees. It depends on your department but if your a shift worker your department may not ever rotate shifts so the one your hired for is the one your stuck on. Not a ton of opportunities to advance due to many 20+ year employees staying in the same positions.

Decent work, underpayed

Current Employee - Student Assistant III  in  Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Student Assistant III in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis part-time for more than a year

Pros

It was pretty mundane and general lab work. I dont think it would be anything different than any other big university. I liked the amount of knowledge obtained from the research however.

Cons

Very underpayed. For students working part time it doesent feel like 8.95 an hour is sufficient to make a dent in expenses.

UC Davis Photos

UC Davis Genome Center
Cattle research
UC Davis + town are EXCELLENT for bikers. Bike to work!
At CreativeMedia

+ Add Photo

Worked for UC Davis? Contribute to the Community!