UC Davis

Updated February 28, 2015
3.8

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi
Linda Katehi

Pros
  • Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments (in 12 reviews)

• People are friendly and it is an overall safe place (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Crappy pay and budget cuts make having a good resume handy a necessity (in 8 reviews)

• Fairly low pay (for IT at least) compared to private sector (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Teaching Assistant

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Davis, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Davis, CA

I worked at UC Davis part-time (less than a year)

Pros

good time for work, not high work load, students always be easy to get along and also the professor. Sometimes get into trouble when groups maybe lazy. Great at whole

Cons

small time taken, but had to explain much to students in long office hours. labs numbers limited so have to be careful not to be conflict. Need to know code in advance

can have a better manage of the labs so that get all things ready. Sometimes lack of tools,which is not common in these kind of labs, but commonly happens here, so please prepare better

Great experience working as student

I worked at UC Davis

Pros

Worked in their accounting and financial services department. Great working environment and everyone was friendly. I worked only part-time depending on my class schedule, and they were flexible enough to understand.

Cons

No cons really. I stayed with them for less than a year to concentrate on studying. No complaints during my employement.

Good Experience

I have been working at UC Davis

Pros

Working with the graduate studies department was a good experience. I improved my web development skills with the help of my supervisor. They are very attentive.

Cons

The work that I was put to do was pretty extensive and I feel that the amount of pay did not reflect the kind of work I did.

Excellent job with fantastic opportunities for students.

Current Employee - Peer Advisor
    Current Employee - Peer Advisor

I have been working at UC Davis part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Phenomenal work environment - close knit group of student workers, and professional staff who are very friendly. Many peer advisors come in to the office when not on shifts as a place to study/hang out. Very engaging work if you enjoy talking with students. Make valuable connections with people all over campus.

Cons

A tremendous amount of training, borderline excessive. Much of this is done with student housing which is a frustrating group to work with.

Keep it up! Very little should be changed, it has been an excellent job that I highly recommend.

Resident Advisor/ Senior Resident Advisor

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning experience. Excellent opportunities to network and bond with both residents and other RAs. You will quickly learn time management skills and become good at communicating with a broad range of people.

Cons

It is a 24-hour job. There can be a lot of stress when you work where you live because you do not have a break from your position.

Try and communicate better with the employees. There was a lot of last minute information and expectations that were brought out.

Easy, based off academic knowledge

Current Employee - Student Tutor in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Student Tutor in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for students that want extra pay

Cons

No room to grow, get promoted

It is a very cooperative and friendly environment that is ideal for pursuing graduate school.

Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - PhD Graduate Student in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Th education and interdisciplinary environment is beneficial to graduate schools who are interested in exploring many fields of study.

Cons

Pursuing a PhD is difficult at times because one has to take the initiative to seek out help rather than being offered help.

Knowing what your values and lifestyle will help you to determine what kind of environment you would like to be in during your graduate career. And do your research on the kind of adviser you would like to do your doctoral work in thoroughly.

Good place

I have been working at UC Davis

Pros

great location and lots of very friendly people. High quality research. I truly enjoyed my time working at the university.

Cons

there are no cons. I would recommend the university to any of my friends as a great potential employer. Great place.

Great benefits, a pleasant environment, and room to grow

I have been working at UC Davis full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Though the University employs thousands of people, you don't feel lost in the masses. My supervisor has not only let me know that there are other opportunities but in the short time I've been here, others have shown me how to go after those opportunities. Newsletters for departments and staff as a whole keep you informed. Beautiful campus and atmosphere are a nice bonus.

Cons

Employees pay for parking, but this can be added taken out of our paycheck pre-tax so not a biggie.

Keep doing what you're doing

Teaching Assistant of ECS 60 Data Structure

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Davis, CA
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant in Davis, CA

I have been working at UC Davis

Pros

It is interesting to deliver the knowledge I've learned in the past to new students. Also the salary can cover basic daily expenses.

Cons

Grading homeworks could be a little bit boring. Also I have to take fewer classes to spare the time out for TA.

UC Davis Photos