UC Davis

UC Davis Reviews in Sacramento, CA

Updated Jul 22, 2014

UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi

Linda Katehi

Pros
  • Fast paced working environment, people are friendly at work, great location(in 10 reviews)

• Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, the campus has serious problems with budget cuts and therefore our hours(in 7 reviews)

• Fairly low pay (for IT at least) compared to private sector(in 6 reviews)

228 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Goal-oriented, good management, and friendly people

Student Assistant III (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsAs a student, I was given clear instructions for my assignments. Supervisors are open and available for questions and give their employees room to grow and learn different skills. Since I was a part-time employee, my hours were flexible and they were willing to fit my needs. People are friendly and helpful.

ConsMore training for their full-time employees for specific projects. Allow more opportunities to take on more challenging projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay and more opportunities to grow professionally.

Nice

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsGreat location, lots of opportunities in government agencies, developement of connections

ConsDifficult to get promoted in such position, need to move on shortly after finish training

OK for students to gain work experience

Student Assistant (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsMajority of workers are nice especially the student workers

ConsSome of the full time workers are not nice

Advice to Senior ManagementRotation of students should be equally distributed.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Meets standards but does not astonish you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsOpportunities are general, not much restrictions.

ConsToo many unnecessary procedures and too much ridiculous competitions (B.A majors compete lab opportunities with B.S. majors) and you'll never have the resources you need.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany departments have overlapped functions. Moreover, these overlapped functions are not professional and compulsory. Should simplify the administration to enhance efficiency.

Co-workers are some of the best people to work with, but the work itself is mindless, busy-work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsEasy work and opportunities to talk and engage with guests and co-workers. Management of the MRAs are done by student employees as well, and they are very personable as well.

ConsBusy work and lots of downtime walking around the ARC pretending to be busy.

Working at UC Davis

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsI am working as a post-doctoral researcher. So, my experience should be considered only for my department as there is not much interaction with rest of the University and students. I had a good time working in the lab.

ConsThere is no interaction of the post-doctoral researchers with the students or rest of the department. This makes them detached from the University in general. This is more so for foreigners who were not connected to UCD for their previous education.

Good Student Experience

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsVery scholarly environment with grads and researchers passionate about their field of study.

ConsNot many cons - it's a student job, after all. Higher pay for the students, perhaps.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpportunities are valuable to students. Please continue to provide them in greater number, especially in biological/chemical research where there are many students vying for few jobs.

Benefits are amazing

Program Representative I (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsBenefits are amazing
    In my line of work, salary is okay
    Work-life balance is amazing - my supervisor is very flexible and I am able to honor my family commitments.
    Feel like I am doing some important work

ConsTraining can be lacking and I don't see a whole lot of room for advancement in my field unless I go get a PhD and become an academic.
    Often, computer systems and other technological areas are very outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ignore support staff.

UCD offers great student jobs

Student Assistant III (Current Employee) Davis, CA

ProsFlexible schedule around my classes, those I worked with in the office were really respectful of my time as a student. Student jobs on campus are really great opportunities for busy students who are looking to make some money.

ConsNo cons, truly enjoyed my experience as a student employee.

Excellent!

Math Tutor (Former Employee) Davis, CA

ProsGreat place to work while attending school. Engaging, meaningful, and they work around your schedule.

ConsDifficult to get hired. Make sure you have excellent grades.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for UC Davis? Contribute to the Community!