UC Hastings College of the Law

CEO

1. Great students and faculty

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC Hastings College of the Law (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific students, supportive administration. The administration treats adjuncts well; as an adjunct for the last six years I feel part of the law school community.

Cons

I love the students and the school environment or I wouldn't keep coming back year after year!

Advice to Management

Continue to support faculty and staff; they provide a great learning environment for the next generation of lawyers. Continue to admit a diverse and creative first year class each year.

2. Great community

Current Employee - Administrative Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Staff in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC Hastings College of the Law (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful staff at every level. Accessible Dean. Students are hard working, focused, and great to work with.

Cons

location in the Tenderloin, noisy and sometimes sketchy.

3. Program Coordinator

I worked at UC Hastings College of the Law full-time

Pros

Some good smart people. Dean and most professors really care about the school and students. Good work/life balance.

Cons

Some really passive-aggressive staff and there's still a lot of bureacracy. Students can be jerks to staff -- some are very entitled.

5. Student

Current Employee - Law Student in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Law Student in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC Hastings College of the Law full-time

Pros

Good network of practicing attorney's. Some quality professors.

Cons

Lacks sense of community.

6. Super fun colleagues!

Pros

Great people, small but close community.

Cons

Located in the middle of the Tenderloin.

7. great place to work

Former Contractor - Archives in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Archives in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC Hastings College of the Law as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

pretty hands off, you do your work and people tend to be pretty nice. People tend to stick to themselves and are pleasant. The buildings are undergoing improvements, and the students generally seem to be happy and hard working.

Cons

terrible neighborhood, like scary to walk from the train to the building. Things don't really feel safe, they have security, but i know that people have snuck by and gotten into the library. Its more of a neighborhood problem than school issue, but still its bad. Ive seen blood all over the sidewalk, people shooting up, going to the bathroom and having sex within the same block the school is on.

Advice to Management

Offer insurance to contractors, we need to go to the dentist too! Also work with the city somehow to improve the safety of the neighborhood.

8. Not so bad, but you'd think they could do better.

Former Contractor - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Research Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at UC Hastings College of the Law as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I've done a few odd research jobs here, never a regular employee, so my impressions are based mainly on interactions with staff in the payroll and fiscal services department. Not good. I really can't speak to the experience of a full-time employee here. On the upside, the professors I've worked with are top-notch, very professional and accommodating, with intellectually stimulating work.

Cons

Everything is a mess to get done, administrative and paperwork-wise. I always had a delay and a run-around to get paid. I can understand that it's a state-run joint and there are layers of red tape, but even if you look beyond that, there's a lot of unnecessary unpleasantness. The people working in the administrative offices are rude and disinterested, which is understandable since their processes make so little sense. The friendliest, most helpful people I encountered seemed to be student interns, but the long-term employees are clearly so secure in their jobs they don't need to care if they do them well or how they treat people. You'll get better service at the coffee shop in the lobby.

Advice to Management

Talk to private schools, see how they do things, and start over. Administration is pretty rinky-dink for a major public institution. Get it together!

9. Great place for development

I worked at UC Hastings College of the Law part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place for a start, and for senior employees as well. Get to meet SOME good people, workflow is always good-- busy is good! Students are great to work with sometimes. Decent pay.

Cons

Managment is awful. There is more management than actual employees that produce the work.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many managers!

10. uc hastings

Pros

students are generally motivated, smart, willing, enjoyable. most colleagues take teaching seriously. good benefits/retirement. bay area location is ideal for work and life and family.

Cons

faculty is similar to most law faculty, i.e. entrenched in conservative views of how to teach law students. administration is not particularly accessible. hierarchy abounds. staff seem underpaid and otherwise occasionally mistreated (eg faculty got raises as staff were laid off this year).

11. Excellent.

Pros

There is a Collegial environment.

Cons

There is Insufficient state funding for the school to function without ever increasing tuition burden on students and staffing cutbacks.

RSS Feed </> Embed