UC Hastings College of the Law

Updated May 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place for development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place for a start, and for senior employees as well. Get to meet SOME good people, workflow is always good-- busy is good! Students are great to work with sometimes. Decent pay.

ConsManagment is awful. There is more management than actual employees that produce the work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring so many managers!

Not so bad, but you'd think they could do better.

Research Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI've done a few odd research jobs here, never a regular employee, so my impressions are based mainly on interactions with staff in the payroll and fiscal services department. Not good. I really can't speak to the experience of a full-time employee here. On the upside, the professors I've worked with are top-notch, very professional and accommodating, with intellectually stimulating work.

ConsEverything is a mess to get done, administrative and paperwork-wise. I always had a delay and a run-around to get paid. I can understand that it's a state-run joint and there are layers of red tape, but even if you look beyond that, there's a lot of unnecessary unpleasantness. The people working in the administrative offices are rude and disinterested, which is understandable since their processes make so little sense. The friendliest, most helpful people I encountered seemed to be student interns, but the long-term employees are clearly so secure in their jobs they don't need to care if they do them well or how they treat people. You'll get better service at the coffee shop in the lobby.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to private schools, see how they do things, and start over. Administration is pretty rinky-dink for a major public institution. Get it together!

uc hastings

Prosstudents are generally motivated, smart, willing, enjoyable. most colleagues take teaching seriously. good benefits/retirement. bay area location is ideal for work and life and family.

Consfaculty is similar to most law faculty, i.e. entrenched in conservative views of how to teach law students. administration is not particularly accessible. hierarchy abounds. staff seem underpaid and otherwise occasionally mistreated (eg faculty got raises as staff were laid off this year).

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent.

ProsThere is a Collegial environment.

ConsThere is Insufficient state funding for the school to function without ever increasing tuition burden on students and staffing cutbacks.

Worked for UC Hastings College of the Law? Contribute to the Community!