UC Health Reviews

3.4
James A. Kingsbury

1. Review

I have been working at UC Health full-time

Pros

I work with great people.

Cons

There are many layers to go through.

2. Business Manager

I worked at UC Health

Pros

Great atmosphere and associates to work for and with.

Cons

Pay scale is on the lower side of the spectrum

Great potential but fractured, political and bureaucratic

I have been working at UC Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, leading in clinical practices and technologies, focus on safety and efficiency, cutting-edge research

Cons

Fractured, bureaucratic, political. Organization has many silos - by geographic location (Clifton, West Chester, Hartwell), by organization (UC Health, University of Cincinnati, and UC Physicians), by department, etc. Confusing organizational structure.

5. Opportunity! This company provides you with everything you will need to start the career you may want.

Current Employee - Director of Nursing
    Current Employee - Director of Nursing

I have been working at UC Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Tuition reimbursement, medical coverage, and overall good people working.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible, being that it is a hospital it is open 24/7 365.

Advice to Management

Expand opportunities to support staff.

The morale of associates changed often because of varying directives from management.

I worked at UC Health

Pros

Most of the people that work there are really good caring people, particularly the clinical staff.
    Good health insurance, that encourages you to use their providers by offering an additional discount.

Cons

Mid-level managers are either poor producers who have been promoted because they could not be fired or they are good, competent people that are not empowered to manage their associates.
    Pay levels are lower than other health systems in the area.

Advice to Management

better work-life balance, and a more positive office culture that promotes trust among departments

Never voted the Best Place to Work

I have been working at UC Health

Pros

Flexible work schedules in some areas. Decent pay. Good benefits.

Cons

There are no paid holidays. You must use your PTO or you will have to make up the time off for the holiday. Upper Management is unethical and unprofessional. There is no advocate for the associate. Once you have a disagreement with a manager, you can forget ever moving around in the company. They will bad mouth you to the others and block your job postings. The culture is terrible.

Advice to Management

Learn to live by the RITE Values that you expect your employees to live by.

8. The best experience of my professional life.

I worked at UC Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The Human Resources Division was developed to be state of the art. We worked independently at our assigned hospital, but had the benefit of colleagues at all of the other hospitals. We served on the HR Leadership Team, which allowed collaboration and best practices.

Cons

The organization, unfortunately, had a governance issue and the joint operating agreement did not stand up to challenges from an individual hospital. Ultimately, several hospitals were acquired by others systems, or chose to leave the Health Alliance and operate as an independent hospital. Subsequently, the organization became much smaller and was re-branded as UC Health.

"Very high stress, a lot of people have left"

Current Employee - Floor Nurse
    Current Employee - Floor Nurse

I have been working at UC Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers: very helpful, qualified, and work together as a great care team on the floor, and excellent collaboration between departments, open door policy with floor managers, good benefits, flexible scheduling, good nurse/doctor relations, and good pay scale.

Cons

Short staffed, inadequate management of staffing grid, changes made to staffing grid, forced on call scheduling, too many changes made to policy (most of the changes are done without doing proper research and then are changed back in a few weeks), high disatisfaction level, upper management seems out of touch of how the clinical floor works, frequent floating: can be daily - and some have been floated three times in a 12 hour shift, unrealistic expectations, have lost a lot of seasoned patient care staff.

Racist!

Current Employee - Cook in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Cook in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at uc kitchen for more than one year. l do work on 1st shift and its the best thing for me over there!

Cons

Honestly, UC Medical Center Kitchen has most Racist place than have ever had!

Advice to Management

i do believe who is managers and supervisior need to exaclty learn what is mean of RITE!

11. The people at UC Health that I worked with are some of the nicest people you will find.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at UC Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The individuals there became like family to me. It was an organization that was welcoming to new people. The Manager whom I worked for was always helpful and wanted to make sure I succeeded.

Cons

I would just be careful about the neighborhood after it gets dark if you are going to work at the downtown location.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good things you do.