UC Health Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
38 reviews filtered by
3.3
James A. Kingsbury

1. Opportunity! This company provides you with everything you will need to start the career you may want.

Current Employee - Director of Nursing
    Current Employee - Director of Nursing

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits are great. Tuition reimbursement, medical coverage, and overall good people working.

Cons

Work-life balance is terrible, being that it is a hospital it is open 24/7 365.

Expand opportunities to support staff.

2. Great potential but fractured, political and bureaucratic

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, leading in clinical practices and technologies, focus on safety and efficiency, cutting-edge research

Cons

Fractured, bureaucratic, political. Organization has many silos - by geographic location (Clifton, West Chester, Hartwell), by organization (UC Health, University of Cincinnati, and UC Physicians), by department, etc. Confusing organizational structure.

The morale of associates changed often because of varying directives from management.

I worked at UC Health

Pros

Most of the people that work there are really good caring people, particularly the clinical staff.
    Good health insurance, that encourages you to use their providers by offering an additional discount.

Cons

Mid-level managers are either poor producers who have been promoted because they could not be fired or they are good, competent people that are not empowered to manage their associates.
    Pay levels are lower than other health systems in the area.

better work-life balance, and a more positive office culture that promotes trust among departments

Never voted the Best Place to Work

I have been working at UC Health

Pros

Flexible work schedules in some areas. Decent pay. Good benefits.

Cons

There are no paid holidays. You must use your PTO or you will have to make up the time off for the holiday. Upper Management is unethical and unprofessional. There is no advocate for the associate. Once you have a disagreement with a manager, you can forget ever moving around in the company. They will bad mouth you to the others and block your job postings. The culture is terrible.

Learn to live by the RITE Values that you expect your employees to live by.

6. The best experience of my professional life.

I worked at UC Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Human Resources Division was developed to be state of the art. We worked independently at our assigned hospital, but had the benefit of colleagues at all of the other hospitals. We served on the HR Leadership Team, which allowed collaboration and best practices.

Cons

The organization, unfortunately, had a governance issue and the joint operating agreement did not stand up to challenges from an individual hospital. Ultimately, several hospitals were acquired by others systems, or chose to leave the Health Alliance and operate as an independent hospital. Subsequently, the organization became much smaller and was re-branded as UC Health.

"Very high stress, a lot of people have left"

Current Employee - Floor Nurse
    Current Employee - Floor Nurse

I have been working at UC Health (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers: very helpful, qualified, and work together as a great care team on the floor, and excellent collaboration between departments, open door policy with floor managers, good benefits, flexible scheduling, good nurse/doctor relations, and good pay scale.

Cons

Short staffed, inadequate management of staffing grid, changes made to staffing grid, forced on call scheduling, too many changes made to policy (most of the changes are done without doing proper research and then are changed back in a few weeks), high disatisfaction level, upper management seems out of touch of how the clinical floor works, frequent floating: can be daily - and some have been floated three times in a 12 hour shift, unrealistic expectations, have lost a lot of seasoned patient care staff.

Racist!

Current Employee - Cook in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Cook in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been working at uc kitchen for more than one year. l do work on 1st shift and its the best thing for me over there!

Cons

Honestly, UC Medical Center Kitchen has most Racist place than have ever had!

i do believe who is managers and supervisior need to exaclty learn what is mean of RITE!

9. The people at UC Health that I worked with are some of the nicest people you will find.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at UC Health as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The individuals there became like family to me. It was an organization that was welcoming to new people. The Manager whom I worked for was always helpful and wanted to make sure I succeeded.

Cons

I would just be careful about the neighborhood after it gets dark if you are going to work at the downtown location.

Keep doing the good things you do.

HA was great, until it became UC Health.

Former Employee - Alliance Partners
    Former Employee - Alliance Partners

I worked at UC Health full-time

Pros

Great insurance, team focused, some work/life balance (depended on manager and department), great short term disability/maternity leave.

Cons

Low salaries compared to competitors, promotions were political/paybacks, raises never covered insurance increases.

Make your employees feel appreciated - lower your bonuses to ensure decent raises for the rest of your teams.

Good Environment, Great staff-that's as far as it goes

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

UC Health is a great health system. I've worked at other competitors in the area and UC is the better place to work at. The benefits are great. The PTO is awesome-I'm an entry level manager and will receive 27 days PTO (7 Holidays & 20 Days off). Fortunately, I work with a great staff that is focusing on becoming a leader in the area & state.

Cons

Pay-Absolutely terrible compared to competitors and similar positions in the area. Annual raises are never guaranteed. If there are raises, they are only between 0.5-3%. The raises are not based on performance-they're hospital wide.
    HR-They are disorganized. Lie about raises after being hired 90 days-They don't happen. It's just a way for you to be brought in at the lowest amount possible (Sadly, this is a common issue).
    Upper management always trying to cut positions and then wonder why tasks cannot be completed.
    Upper management is out of date with the direction of the hospital.

Instead of marveling at Children's advancements or bringing in the Cleveland Clinic to see how they run their hospital-how about initiating the change in a positive direction yourself. Stop being content on being average. Let's also axe the excuses that they system does not have enough money & then turn around and spend on unnecessary items or hire consultants being paid top-dollar. Consider listening to your internal employees. Still individuals on the board from the Health Alliance...