UC Health

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
3.3

James A. Kingsbury

The people at UC Health that I worked with are some of the nicest people you will find.

I worked at UC Health as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The individuals there became like family to me. It was an organization that was welcoming to new people. The Manager whom I worked for was always helpful and wanted to make sure I succeeded.

Cons

I would just be careful about the neighborhood after it gets dark if you are going to work at the downtown location.

Keep doing the good things you do.

"Very high stress, a lot of people have left"

Current Employee - Floor Nurse
    Current Employee - Floor Nurse

I have been working at UC Health (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers: very helpful, qualified, and work together as a great care team on the floor, and excellent collaboration between departments, open door policy with floor managers, good benefits, flexible scheduling, good nurse/doctor relations, and good pay scale.

Cons

Short staffed, inadequate management of staffing grid, changes made to staffing grid, forced on call scheduling, too many changes made to policy (most of the changes are done without doing proper research and then are changed back in a few weeks), high disatisfaction level, upper management seems out of touch of how the clinical floor works, frequent floating: can be daily - and some have been floated three times in a 12 hour shift, unrealistic expectations, have lost a lot of seasoned patient care staff.

Racist!

Current Employee - Cook in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Cook in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been working at uc kitchen for more than one year. l do work on 1st shift and its the best thing for me over there!

Cons

Honestly, UC Medical Center Kitchen has most Racist place than have ever had!

i do believe who is managers and supervisior need to exaclty learn what is mean of RITE!

HA was great, until it became UC Health.

Former Employee - Alliance Partners
    Former Employee - Alliance Partners

I worked at UC Health full-time

Pros

Great insurance, team focused, some work/life balance (depended on manager and department), great short term disability/maternity leave.

Cons

Low salaries compared to competitors, promotions were political/paybacks, raises never covered insurance increases.

Make your employees feel appreciated - lower your bonuses to ensure decent raises for the rest of your teams.

Neutral

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician II in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician II in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people. I love my department.

Cons

Not many opportunities to advance. It's just been my job while in school but for someone who is making it a career there is a long wait if ever of any advancement. Compensation for all that is expected is also not very competitive with other health networks in the area. Restructuring all the time causes confusion and is worrisome.

Listen to your employees from the bottom up, not from the top down.

Good Environment, Great staff-that's as far as it goes

Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

UC Health is a great health system. I've worked at other competitors in the area and UC is the better place to work at. The benefits are great. The PTO is awesome-I'm an entry level manager and will receive 27 days PTO (7 Holidays & 20 Days off). Fortunately, I work with a great staff that is focusing on becoming a leader in the area & state.

Cons

Pay-Absolutely terrible compared to competitors and similar positions in the area. Annual raises are never guaranteed. If there are raises, they are only between 0.5-3%. The raises are not based on performance-they're hospital wide.
    HR-They are disorganized. Lie about raises after being hired 90 days-They don't happen. It's just a way for you to be brought in at the lowest amount possible (Sadly, this is a common issue).
    Upper management always trying to cut positions and then wonder why tasks cannot be completed.
    Upper management is out of date with the direction of the hospital.

Instead of marveling at Children's advancements or bringing in the Cleveland Clinic to see how they run their hospital-how about initiating the change in a positive direction yourself. Stop being content on being average. Let's also axe the excuses that they system does not have enough money & then turn around and spend on unnecessary items or hire consultants being paid top-dollar. Consider listening to your internal employees. Still individuals on the board from the Health Alliance...

One of the best employers in Cincy in this economy

Former Employee - Environmental Services
    Former Employee - Environmental Services

I worked at UC Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay, nice HR, good benefits, 401k, they really try to implement the RITE core values and make it a good work environment. You get discounts on a bunch of things just from working there like movie tickets, zoo tickets, hotel discounts and car insurance. They use direct deposit. There's decent and good employee parking areas too.

Cons

Really none because the more hours you work you gain PTO time for when u need it.

This organization has been very good to me over the years. I feel appreciated and valued.

Current Employee - Access in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Access in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is pretty good. Time off is accrued fairly rapidly.

Cons

Commute is an 45 min to an hour for anyone outside of Hamilton county.

Get rid of staff who are lazy, rude, and incompetent. Years on the job do not justify allowing unacceptable behavior.

Most stressful environment I've ever worked in.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at UC Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are friendly and helpful. Great place to learn.

Cons

Frequent turn around of staff. Under staffed. Extremely stressful environment.

To many people in management positions. Managers to manage the manager is not necessary.

Securtiy Officer

Current Employee - Secuirty Officer in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Secuirty Officer in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at UC Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of PTO. Good pay. Great benefits. Meet new people.

Cons

No OT. Shift work. Chance of getting hurt on the job.