UC Riverside Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
3.8

UC Riverside Chancellor Kim A. Wilcox
Kim A. Wilcox

Pros
  • Very knowledgeable faculty and staff with good benefits (in 7 reviews)

• UCR offers a great benefits package (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • State budget cuts are making the jobs very insecure, with pay cuts and furloughs implemented system-wide (in 5 reviews)

• Management and Supervisors are over worked and room for growth is minimum (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work environment, positive attitudes and motivated people.

Former Employee - Assistant Researcher in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Researcher in Riverside, CA

I worked at UC Riverside part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Brilliant coworkers, team spirit, work together for a common good. Everyone is willing to teach and most are willing to learn.

Cons

long commute for me but close if you live in Moreno Valley, San Bernardino or downtown Riverside.

I did feel that a lot of money was spent on unnecessary things. i.e multiple monitors, super-fast laptops, when we needed money for other research projects.

ta

I have been working at UC Riverside

Pros

good practice of public speaking

Cons

not all TAs are top students

TA

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Riverside, CA

I worked at UC Riverside part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great facilities with TA rooms to work and learn

Cons

Wish there could be more TA positions

The Professor I was assisted was very kind and helpful. It was a great teaching experience.

I worked at UC Riverside part-time (more than an year)

Pros

UCR provides a lot of opportunities for talented graduate student in all aspects. Before I started teaching, the graduate division hold orientation for all TAs in the year to make sure we would know how to become a teacher. The faculties and staffs there were very friendly and supportive to answer any questions and help me become an excellent TA along the way.

Cons

For some of the classes, TA could be in charge of grading as well, so sometimes I have to work till late at night to grade students' papers. You need a good time management.

UCR

Current Employee - Lab Assistant
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant

I have been working at UC Riverside full-time

Pros

Overall, It's been a great experience working in a research lab. The faculty and students are very friendly. There are plenty of opportunities to work closely with faculty on research projects. There are many chances to cross-train in various areas too. Also, the benefits are great and flexible schedules are a plus.

Cons

The pay is low and pay raises don't happen often. Approval process is slow. There aren't many opportunities for advancement if you work in a research lab. Parking is a hassle during the school year, on-campus and off-campus.

Comfortable Work Environment

Former Employee - Digital Media Assistant in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Media Assistant in Riverside, CA

I worked at UC Riverside part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the ARTSBlock section and was rarely actually on campus. The workplace was comfortable, and I was provided the latest equipment to do my work with. Coworkers and management were really friendly. There was always a diverse amount of projects to work on.

Cons

Sometimes progress on projects was slow due to politics. I can only really speak on technology projects though, most of the art installations processes and museum cataloging were, while cool, pretty alien to me.

Resident Advisor Interview

I worked at UC Riverside

Pros

You are interviewed by two people (I believe one full-time housing emloyee and one student employee). If selected you proceed to the next stage and and take a course. They discuss various topics such as leadership, effectively assisting students, etc. From there they will decided if you will become a student housing employee. You don's have to be particularly outgoing, but definitely speak up and show ( in a non- overbearing and non-hyper competitive way that you want the job).

Cons

Some of the people chosen later become slackers or are lame RAs that don't really do much. They are more about the free stipend and housing benefits. I wish they had an easier way of weeding them out. However, don't be turned off by this. People like this exist everywhere. Apply!!

I worked for the Transportation and Parking Services

Former Employee - Events in Riverside, CA
    Former Employee - Events in Riverside, CA

I worked at UC Riverside part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Easy work and available hours. Close access to job and very flexible hours. Coworkers are all students too so you'll probably make some friends.

Cons

Thankless, early hours, directing traffic is very dangerous considering the low pay, often micromanaged by leads for simple tasks.

UCR pretty good UC school

I worked at UC Riverside

Pros

Very knowledgeable faculty and staff with good benefits. You are able to make your own hours and project with approval from advisor. The campus is really nice and wonderful to walk around.

Cons

It is very hot during the summer and the parking is often none existent after 11 am. THE surrounding area is unsafe with frequent reports of thefts on or near campus.

the working environment is good

I have been working at UC Riverside

Pros

People here are very nice

Cons

the weather is too hot.