UC San Diego
www.ucsd.edu La Jolla, CA 5000+ Employees

UC San Diego Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Pradeep K. Khosla

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is great: almost never have to work overtime or weekends at the analyst level"
    in 12 reviews
  • "UCSD offers great benefits as well as retirement if you are committed to staying here for 20, 25"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "program length is too long, parking is expensive and hard to find even if you do have a permit"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Parking is expensive and hard to find and campus is not particularly bike friendly either"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It is a very laid back, open door management work environment.

I have been working at UC San Diego

Pros-Open door management (very easy to talk to supervisors)
-Flexible hours
-Nice coworkers
-Good hourly pay for student worker

Cons-Repetitive work
-Not challenging enough
-Could get lonesome, not a team environment

But overall a very great place to work. Highly recommend.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing, they are doing a good job with running the office

Great Environment

Research Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCollaboration, access to instrumentation, and environment

ConsPay scale and foreign workers

Advice to Senior Managementjobs for citizens and students

good place for Ph.D. student assistant

Research Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego part-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood research environment especially for science and engineering, good weather,

Consa little boring, parking is horrible

Advice to Senior ManagementUCSD had very good reputation in science and engineering, but it starts to lose that now. I understand funding problem (from California state) is the main reason. UCSD should hire more lecturers for undergraduate students, so professors can focus on their research.

UCSD

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego full-time for more than a year

ProsNice campus, great coworkers. Good benefits. Good work life balance.

ConsVery easy for staff to get comfortable, stagnant, yet still ride the system and get promotions. Because of this there are a lot of staff who have been there a long time just "hanging out" in upper level positions. Hard to get a position, and limited upward mobility once you are hired, even with appropriate experience and education.

PhD Student

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat environment, great facilities, and the best people in their fields.

ConsA lot of work, no respect for weekends, or holidays.

Active campus, research seems to be spread thin"

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

Pros"Diverse/Creative student body. Great weather and near the beach. Tons of activities/events on campus. Competitive atmosphere in a healthy way. There are a lot of resources on campus to help students with professional development.”

Cons"Tuition is growing each year. It is hard to really get anything stuff done without a ton of paperwork to follow. Parking is becoming more expensive and very difficult to find. Lab spaces can be pretty tight and equipment can be dated"

Advice to Senior ManagementPump more funding into research projects around campus.

In general, it's good experience to work as a PhD student here at UCSD. The professors here are very knowledgeable.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

Prosbeautiful campus. Very close to beautiful La Jolla beaches. Lots of things you can do in the city.

ConsSince it's located at the very corner of U.S. map, lots of companies do not come here for campus recruitment.

It's been a good place to stay as to seek for a PhD degree as well as to enjoy life.

Graduate Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Location, modest funding opportunities, nice people around, intellectually active.

ConsBasically, everything looks good to me, nothing much to complain. This is a good university and academic institution.

interesting work, great benefits but management/fiscal problems

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

Prosgreat benefits (vacation, sick leave, medical insurance, pension plan)
intellectually interesting job opportunities (world class research)

Consmerit/salary reviews do NOT occur annually unless you have a good supervisor
incompetent folks stick around for years and can be demotivating for the good workers
federal budget cuts are hitting the biomedical research community, forcing doing more with less (and no compensation for staff)

Advice to Senior Managementwork harder to ensure middle/lower management is competent in management 101

UCSD IR/PS always advertising for temps, always losing them

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego part-time for less than a year

Prossunshine, near the beach, spacey campus

ConsUCSD is a mess - too many departments are essentially autonomous under a central office that is careless and unresponsive. They employ a few tenured or vested staff, but mostly at-will and temporary staff, who are treated as expendables. The culture here is terrible - idle and uncooperative. Staff here hide behind ignorance or literally just hide in their offices - they hide behind student interns and unload all their responsibilities on to them. The departments claim to not know what each other are doing and drag their heels on everything. The spread of these departments across an enormous campus doesn't help when a car ride is necessary. My experience was at IR/PS, which is always advertising for temporary faculty - I saw another ad today and felt compelled to record my warnings. This school is a case in point: still led by a Dean with no qualifications in the field, who is never in his office and has no permanent administrators, has a few loyal mediocre faculty, then a mass of temporary and part-time faculty. The school will admit any students, and will do anything to graduate them, such as demanding that the grades are curved with a bottom of B+ and changing grades to help students graduate. So guess what, you get the lamest, idlest students with a culture of doing the bare minimum, cheating, and running to the Dean whenever they don't get what they want. Most are foreigners who don't speak English well enough to participate - class attendance and participation are casual. I tried to raise these issues three times to the Chancellors office, without reply. I did my research and could not find any responsible office. I tried the student ethics office, which wasn't interested, then the ombudsman, who was clueless. Now I understand why IR/PS is so irresponsible.

Advice to Senior Managementit's not rocket science: change the chiefs, establish a responsible office, survey for issues, and investigate them

Worked for UC San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC San Diego reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UC San Diego CEO Pradeep K. Khosla. All 298 reviews posted anonymously by UC San Diego employees.