UC San Diego Health System
www.health.ucsd.edu San Diego , CA

UC San Diego Health System Reviews

Updated Apr 1, 2014

Paul Viviano

Great research experience at the institution.

Staff Research Associate II (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego Health System as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLots of research opportunities available at this institution. Had a great experience working in a research lab within the School of Medicine.

ConsLots of self-motivation and independence is needed when pursuing research (projects).

Great place

Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego Health System full-time for more than a year

ProsJob security
Working with students
Great research

ConsCumbersome operations
Took a long time for change to occur

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline

work is steady, secure and challenging

Workers Compensation Claims Analyst (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health System full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, good retirement plans, accumulates vacation and sick hours every month, observance for all the holidays.

Conshigh parking fees, union fees, no too many salary increases for non represented employees.

Work is rewarding but culture is oppressive

San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWhen allowed to do your job (depending on your department and who you report to), the work is very rewarding. There is job security in some areas.

ConsThere is expectation to work long hours and weekends without compensation and very little recognition for employees or middle management. Director takes credit for department achievements and shows favoritism to one or two people who agree with them no matter what. If you disagree with them, you can expect the silent treatment and increased criticism and scrutiny. Classic bullying. The new CEO will hopefully drive change in the company culture. For now, bullies in upper management are tolerated and promoted no matter how negatively they impact morale and productivity or how little they contribute to success. Pay is low compared to positions in the community with fewer perquisites than private employers. If you are not part of a union, don't expect pay increases. You can request an equity review but your director may intervene to downgrade or decline the recommendations of Human Resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to whose knowledge and influence is really driving the organization's success and empower those people. If someone seems like they are all talk, they probably are.

Full of talented people and amazing learning experiences.

Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health System part-time for more than a year

Pros- Great learning environment for undergrad students looking to explore areas of interest
- Flexible! They work with you and your school schedule and change your hours on a quarterly basis if necessary
- Approach-ability = you get a lot of opportunities to meet very high-level professionals, and they are very easy to talk to! Great networking opportunities here.

Cons- very large organization, so if your work is very specialized and you may not see your immediate impact within the organization

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep talking to your team!

Very good

Registered Nurse Medical Surgical Unit (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego Health System full-time for more than 10 years

ProsVery good compensation, very advance health care interventions, excellent Doctors.

Consnone that I can think off.

Advice to Senior ManagementRehire old staff should be priority

Great Benefits

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health System full-time for more than 3 years

ProsUCSD offers some of the most competitive benefits when it comes to Holidays, Vacation and 401K

ConsNo working from home, and no annual salary increases

Great place to work and grow.

Medical Assistant II (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

ProsThey pay the best and the doctors are great to work with.

ConsPaying for parking is not unheard of but it is very expensive here. Yes, for employees too. $80 per month for unlimited pass.

Very engaging workplace with challenging tasks

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee)
La Jolla, CA

ProsVery nice working atmosphere with very friendly employees and supervisors. Everyone is very understanding and are very helpful. The software projects are not too difficult but can give a challenge to unfamiliar programmers. There are also other projects that involves non-programming skills.

ConsYou will need to be motivated in order to put out good work. You will need to be assertive to get new tasks and new projects to work on.

Advice to Senior ManagementDepending on the student, it would be very good to have small projects from time to time to assess the skill level of the student worker.

Great Benefits but Two Divisions to Avoid

Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego Health System full-time for more than a year

ProsThe benefits are incomparable. The best I've seen anywhere. You pay next to nothing for medical, dental and vision. They also give you free legal assistance and more.

ConsInternal people to UCSD know that two divisions that you don't want to go to are Cancer Research and Pediatrics. They have high turnover and are not managed well.
Internal systems are cumbersome, causing it to take a long time to get simple things done.

Certain people seem to be favored. Not all employees are treated with respect. An environment where many people talk about each other behind their backs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture needs and overhaul. It's not a nice place to work, overall.

Work on implementing the following:
    Employee empowerment
    Fairness and Justice
    Equality
    Transparency in Decision Making
    Employee Morale

Worked for UC San Diego Health System? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC San Diego Health System reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UC San Diego Health System CEO Paul Viviano. All 39 reviews posted anonymously by UC San Diego Health System employees.