UC San Diego

www.ucsd.edu

UC San Diego Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Pradeep K. Khosla

Pros
  • Work-life balance is great: almost never have to work overtime or weekends at the analyst level(in 13 reviews)

• UCSD offers great benefits as well as retirement if you are committed to staying here for 20, 25(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • program length is too long, parking is expensive and hard to find even if you do have a permit(in 5 reviews)

• Parking is expensive and hard to find and campus is not particularly bike friendly either(in 5 reviews)

Great people who care!

UCDC Peer Advisor (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsI really enjoyed my time working here as a UCDC Peer Advisor. All the advisor in the office was always eager to help and genuinely cared for their students. In my opinion, AIP is totally underrated by the student body here. With advisors going the extra mile to make sure you secure that internship (which ultimately helps your resume stand out), I don't understand why turnout is so small.

ConsSince UCSD is such a huge campus, it's pretty difficult to spread the word to students. Flyering, info sessions, and classroom advertising can only do so much. Sometimes students can seem nonchalant and disaffected, but with some determination, you'll find students to reach out to.

Postdoc fellow

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsGreat working environment and shared facilities
    Good health care with Health net mostly covered by benefits

ConsBetter come with your own money.. (fellowship, grant)

Great place to work.

Business Advisor (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsLaid-back life with friendly co-workers

ConsMay not have careers advancement opportunities

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your experience will vary entirely based on which dept you work for.

Social Worker (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsOnce I found the right program, I was glad to work for UCSD. The benefits are excellent, the salary not so much. If I'd been able to work on campus it would have been great.

ConsI started in the Med Center as a social worker and it was terrible. There is no support for social workers in the hospital.
    If you work off campus you miss out on a lot of the benefits of working for UCSD,

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with any organization -- keep people informed. I was in middle management and found that upper management didn't always want to share what was going on.

Great University

Biomedical Science PhD Candidate (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsThe quality of research being done here is excellent! Many opportunities to grow in techniques and understanding. Hours can be long but are flexible. Former coworkers from industry now work here, and report better pay.

ConsThe depth of work may make it difficult to meet new people, network, or expand areas of personal interest into new topics of study.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore programs for integration with biotechnology/ private industry and more opportunities for networking would be beneficial.

Secure but not so exciting

Development Assistant (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsVery secure, safe work environment. Good places to start career. Able to move between departments during career if want a change.

ConsSuch a large bureaucracy. Some positions very siloed.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpend the internship program where career staff get to experience other departments.

Nice work environment

EH&S Assistant Specialist (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsUCSD is a very nice university campus.

ConsHuman Resources department is very slow.

Thrilling!

ProsGreat place to work in of the best cities in San Diego!

ConsThe parking is ridiculous since students constantly flood the parking lots!

My fantastic experience

Stage Hand (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsGreat colleagues and bosses. Feels like family. Some of the perks include free production attendance and food.

ConsThe work hours can vary

Pro's and Cons

Data Manager (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsFlexible schedule, pension (at least for employees of my generation)

ConsPay and raises are not based on performance, everything has to be judges as equitable by HR. Too much bureaucracy.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow managers to reward high performers to encourage them to stay.

Worked for UC San Diego? Contribute to the Community!