UC San Diego
www.ucsd.edu La Jolla, CA 5000+ Employees

UC San Diego Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Pradeep K. Khosla

Pros:
  • "Work-life balance is great: almost never have to work overtime or weekends at the analyst level"
    in 12 reviews
  • "UCSD offers great benefits as well as retirement if you are committed to staying here for 20, 25"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "program length is too long, parking is expensive and hard to find even if you do have a permit"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Parking is expensive and hard to find and campus is not particularly bike friendly either"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working here was great.

I have been working at UC San Diego as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe location of campus is hard to beat. Within the athletic department, employees and student-athletes come first. Everyone gets a fair say and input in the way things are run before decisions are made. The senior management cares about you growing as an individual. People around campus are generally nice and social able, which is not common in other parts of California. Retirement benefits are also great if you are here long enough.

ConsSome of the workers here belong to unions, and can be hard to deal with at times. The starting pay isn't great, but the campus and athletic department are growing and have big things ahead. The university has not always back athletics, but are slowly starting to come around.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to put student-athletes and employees first.

Great location and beautiful campus

Professor (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 10 years

Prossalaries are fair, good work/life balance

ConsLimited opportunities for growth, tuition increases continue, values clinical enterprise over research

Excellent Work Environment

Postdoctoral Scholar (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a scientist, UCSD has wonderful resources to carry out a variety of scientific research. UCSD has many labs at the forefront of my research area as well as many others. The location of UCSD is terrific as well, with beautiful coastal living or more urban living, some of which can be affordable.

ConsAcademia in general is a challenging endeavor. Though this environment has all the trappings of a terrific job, it is still at the whims of general academia and is not immune to the national troubles in funding scientific research.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe turn-over in non-academic administration seems really high, and often the academics find themselves in situations where administration either does not know how to submit a particular grant, knows the requirements, or makes mistakes.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to postdoc in computational chemistry

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than a year

ProsThis institution has a significant number of renowned computational chemistry and biological physics professors here. You will make many valuable connections here

ConsThere are fewer renowned experimental biophysics professors and few groups doing academic drug discovery projects, so there are some, but not a large number, of experimentalists to collaborate with

Advice to Senior ManagementIn an effort to be green, UCSD falls severely short in regards to on-campus parking. Campus shuttles and busses serve some areas, but supply of transit falls very short of demand and it can be difficult to get to campus during peak hours, and evening shuttles are very scarce.

Nice people, not enough money

Parking Security Officer (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego part-time for less than a year

ProsNice employees, cares about employees

ConsNot enough money in the department, though the university charges an arm and leg for not enough parking

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more parking spaces

Great Summer Research Experience

Summer Research Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at UC San Diego part-time for less than a year

ProsFun learning experience doing summer research in the UCSD astronomy department. Flexible hours and friendly lab mates and Adviser.

ConsLimited scope of tasks. Data entry type research. Limited access to research adviser.

A Jewel in La Jolla

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmple opportunities though as you move up things can thin out.
Really good work life balance.
Opportunity to give back to community.
Good health and retirement coverage.

ConsAntiquated systems and processes that haven't kept pace with time.
Compensation is below industry averages for technology sector.
Unionization of many positions can lead to a striving for mediocrity--you can't compensate or be compensated for stellar performance in a statistically significant (in dollars) way.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to become more nimble and act more like a business to stay ahead of our regional competition.

Tutoring in UCSD CSE Department is a memorable experience

UCSD CSE Tutor (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego part-time for less than a year

ProsGet access to many wonderful professors and can meet lots of new people
Get familiar with your professor and reinforce your understanding of the course

ConsTight schedule and very intense workload
Bad working condition
low salary compared with others

Grad student researcher in engineering

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGrad office staff is great, career advising is great (at least while you're still a student). If your advisor is able to fund you as a GSR, you'll live comfortably enough. Food's available on campus, and parking's free on weekends (for now).

ConsAllocation of resources (like office space) varies heavily from department to department. In ours, you had to know which offices were available and ask for them, because the department wasn't keeping track well enough to hand them out.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne reason there's little alumni engagement is because their last memory is the exceedingly picky process of formatting the thesis. Is it the end of the world if the page numbers are in slightly the wrong position?

Good place to work

ER Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at UC San Diego part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay, good benefits, flexible scheduling.

ConsCan be a stressful environment to work in. The patients aren't usually very thankful.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore staff is needed to maintain proper staff-to-patient ratios.

Worked for UC San Diego? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at UC San Diego reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for UC San Diego CEO Pradeep K. Khosla. All 298 reviews posted anonymously by UC San Diego employees.