UC San Diego

www.ucsd.edu

UC San Diego Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Pradeep K. Khosla

Pros
  • Work-life balance is great: almost never have to work overtime or weekends at the analyst level (in 13 reviews)

• UCSD offers great benefits as well as retirement if you are committed to staying here for 20, 25 (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • program length is too long, parking is expensive and hard to find even if you do have a permit (in 5 reviews)

• Parking is expensive and hard to find and campus is not particularly bike friendly either (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people who care!

UCDC Peer Advisor (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsI really enjoyed my time working here as a UCDC Peer Advisor. All the advisor in the office was always eager to help and genuinely cared for their students. In my opinion, AIP is totally underrated by the student body here. With advisors going the extra mile to make sure you secure that internship (which ultimately helps your resume stand out), I don't understand why turnout is so small.

ConsSince UCSD is such a huge campus, it's pretty difficult to spread the word to students. Flyering, info sessions, and classroom advertising can only do so much. Sometimes students can seem nonchalant and disaffected, but with some determination, you'll find students to reach out to.

Chemistry Biochemistry Postdoc

Postdoctoral Scholar (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsGave some exposure to the biotech companies in the area. Easy collaboration atmosphere.

ConsInternational scholars only get exchange visas - the cheapest option for the school to issue.
    Science classes are not valued by the teachers or TA's.

Working in History and Humanities at UC San Diego

Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsBoth departments are superior in regard to their faculty involvement with their students and made working in the departments a great learning and didactic experience. fault of the administration of the departments however, but to the University of California's own intransigence reg

ConsUnit recently the salary level was low and remained so most of my tenure of 8 years. This was not due to any fault of the departments themselves, but to the system wide inadequacy of pay structure for teacher assistants. Fortunately, a new salary has now been negotiated by the union with the UC and this situation should change.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to engage graduate students in all aspects of involvement with

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Neat

ProsAwesome employer. Depends on department.

ConsGreat. Awesome employer. Depends on department.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat senior management?

Postdoc fellow

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsGreat working environment and shared facilities
    Good health care with Health net mostly covered by benefits

ConsBetter come with your own money.. (fellowship, grant)

Great place to work.

Business Advisor (Former Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsLaid-back life with friendly co-workers

ConsMay not have careers advancement opportunities

Your experience will vary entirely based on which dept you work for.

Social Worker (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsOnce I found the right program, I was glad to work for UCSD. The benefits are excellent, the salary not so much. If I'd been able to work on campus it would have been great.

ConsI started in the Med Center as a social worker and it was terrible. There is no support for social workers in the hospital.
    If you work off campus you miss out on a lot of the benefits of working for UCSD,

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with any organization -- keep people informed. I was in middle management and found that upper management didn't always want to share what was going on.

Great University

Biomedical Science PhD Candidate (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsThe quality of research being done here is excellent! Many opportunities to grow in techniques and understanding. Hours can be long but are flexible. Former coworkers from industry now work here, and report better pay.

ConsThe depth of work may make it difficult to meet new people, network, or expand areas of personal interest into new topics of study.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore programs for integration with biotechnology/ private industry and more opportunities for networking would be beneficial.

Secure but not so exciting

Development Assistant (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsVery secure, safe work environment. Good places to start career. Able to move between departments during career if want a change.

ConsSuch a large bureaucracy. Some positions very siloed.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpend the internship program where career staff get to experience other departments.

Accountant II

Accountant II (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat structure, good support staff, nice coworkers

ConsConfusing senior staff personalities, lack of growth opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand departments and open up to employees about expected career paths.

Worked for UC San Diego? Contribute to the Community!