UC San Diego Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.9
Pradeep K. Khosla

Pros
  • Great work life balance as well (in 15 reviews)

• UCSD offers great benefits as well as retirement if you are committed to staying here for 20, 25 (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is expensive and not very convenient to some places (read: Atkinson Hall) (in 8 reviews)

• For those not into research and/or engineering, it's a bit hard to find your niche (in 5 reviews)

1. Good place for graduate students

Current Employee - Graduate Student in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student in San Diego, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some of the best and brightest minds in academia and there are plenty of events, both social and academic, to keep you occupied. The location doesn't hurt either

Cons

Pay for graduate students is low, as is typical of any graduate school. Administration can be slow or uncommunicative, so if you want something, you really have to push for it. You also don't have any guaranteed vacation beyond university holidays

Advice to Management

Be more attentive to students, especially if it is your job to do so. Ease up on unnecessary rules that add layers of bureaucracy without any benefit.

2. Former Employee

Former Employee - Student Services Office Assistant in Lynwood, CA
    Former Employee - Student Services Office Assistant in Lynwood, CA

I worked at UC San Diego (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work there are super nice, and the managers are super accessible; they work with you and take time to teach you well.

Cons

It can get really hectic during the first week and last week of school, also during graduation. Some customers can be really rude, you can escape them if you are not in customer service.

Advice to Management

You guys were awesome, I wish you actually fired people who were terrible workers, some people got away with a lot of things, and I know you guys knew.

3. PhD Student UCSD

Current Employee - PhD Student in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - PhD Student in San Diego, CA

Pros

They pay for your tuition ~25k

Cons

The salary is low (as all phd salaries). About 25k per year, 1.8k per month. You can live decently well if you have student housing

5. Canyonview Pool UCSD

Former Employee - Lifeguard in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in La Jolla, CA

Pros

Working at Canyonview Pool at UCSD was incredible!

Cons

There were no cons of working here.

6. A good place to work for a low salary and interesting projects

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time

Pros

There's a lot of freedom working as a graduate student.This university is pretty great at facilitating interdisciplinary work, so you're really very free to pursue work with any professor.

Cons

The environment isn't super fun or relaxed as far as all jobs go, but people are definitely generally kind and understanding of your differences. As far as universities go, it's probably one of the more enjoyable ones to be at.

7. Research Assistant, Science

Former Employee - Research Assistant IV in La Jolla, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant IV in La Jolla, CA

I worked at UC San Diego part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule; increase your familiarity with laboratory setting; and opportunity to network with graduate students, professors, etc.

Cons

Finding the correct PI is a must! Turnover rate is of course high in these settings, so don't expect the professor to immediately put time into mentoring you. However, a good PI will get around to helping you if you stay and work hard.

Advice to Management

Please fix Urey Hall. The roof was falling on us and our microscopes. UCSD takes 40%+ overhead and should be able to afford basic repairs.

8. Postdoctoral associate

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very energetic research environment. Excellent benefit. have paid vacation, great medical insurance, salary raised every year, one year contrast

Cons

Food inside school is very expensive; almost all administrative system runs very inefficiently.

9. Great place to postdoc

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Highly collaborative, generally good culture. As a postdoc at a university everything is so standard that theres no way for the school to really stand out. Fine insurance. Poor commuting options.

Cons

As a postdoc the only thing about the university that matters is it's reputation. Obviously UCSD is not one of the top rated schools, but it is very close and very good. Department organization is weird but not detrimental. Way too many deans, I think theres a dean of the janitor closet around the corner. So theres cushy positions out there for some that add to the overhead for everyone else.

10. Postdoctoral Research Fellow

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in La Jolla, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Fellow in La Jolla, CA

I have been working at UC San Diego full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Access to state of the art technologies. Extensive collaboration between labs. Great benefits, if your PI let's you use them

Cons

PIs have a way to bypass the benefits they should provide their postdoctoral fellows and cheat them out of their paid holidays and sick days

11. medical assistant, surgery tech

Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Surgery Tech in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant/Surgery Tech in San Diego, CA

I worked at UC San Diego full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working for ucsd medical center for 22yrs , i enjoyed working with my co-worker and the care and relationship with my patients. Teaching and learning that i recieved and that i was able to retire, and take along with me to another job

Cons

knowing that i was leaving my departments employees short handed, know how we had to work hard to keep our department together to give our patient the best care no matter what.

Advice to Management

to be there for the clinics as they work sometime extra to hard t o give their patients the best you care.just tell once in a while that you appriciate them for thier hard work

RSS Feed </> Embed