UC San Francisco Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.7
Samuel Hawgood

Pros
  • Good benefits package (PTO, healthcare) (in 36 reviews)

• Work Life Balance, Phenomenal Research you feel that you are part of a institute that is making radical changes in Health Care/ medicine (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult as one would expect for a clinical fellow (in 8 reviews)

• People work long hours, not much guidance (in 11 reviews)

1. BMS Grad Student

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of really smart people

Cons

It's academia... sometimes bureaucracy gets in the way. Sometimes people don't know when to cut bait on dead projects, resulting in forced conclusions

2. Oakland

Former Employee - Subsutiute in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Subsutiute in Oakland, CA

Pros

Showing students that curriculums can be learning by understanding how to answer many ways.

Cons

Development of new ways in teaching skills that produces understanding of skills to apply in every day skills in lesson learned .

Advice to Management

Providing the tools that produces accomplish success in learning.

3. Good research facilities, but low salary for San Francisco

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Having the opportunity to work with the best professors in medical sciences. 2. Collaborative research environment. 3. Well equipped core facilities. 4. Health insurance is affordable.

Cons

1. Low salary 2. Parking is expensive for the postdocs. 3. Housing options are very limited. 4. Child care options for postdoc are limited.

Advice to Management

More benefits for the postdoctoral researchers.

5. Not as stable as you would think

Pros

Ok health benefits Ok retirement There are some career development opportunities Some people you work with are very intelligent The staff is very diverse

Cons

Some managers are not approachable. A lot of mistreatment was witnessed over the years. UCSF relies mainly on their reputation of being a "top organization" however when you ask some employees they would have a different opinion.

Advice to Management

Start seeing people who work hard for you as human beings first, not as a number, or a nameless "asset"

6. Great place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst I in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst I in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I like working in Pediatrics doing administrative work for a team of doctors, it gives me a good feeling to know I'm contributing to heal children and their families indirectly. This job makes use of the skills I've used my whole career and I feel appreciated. The benefits are good, mandatory retirement plan, cheap health insurance cost for a good plan, vacation and sick pay, and convenient location with parking.

Cons

The pay is lower than the last jobs I've had and I don't think comparable with salary in the private sector. The bureaucracy in getting things approved through all the departments and to actually deal with so many people and take so much time to get things done if it involves different departments. Sometimes so slow to effect the solution you need.

Advice to Management

The bureaucracy of getting things approved and changed if it involves different departments is too time consuming and there should be more streamlined processes.

7. Clinical Research Coordinator

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

You are given a high level of responsibilty and autonomy in how you would like to approach your work; you just have to make sure the work gets done. You interact with very intelligent people who are always happy to explain the research concepts at hand as well as their own special reseach interests. Working with a wide variety of patients and professionals from all types of backgrounds and countries keeps things interesting, and in that way is very different from working in a corporate setting.

Cons

This is a highly matrixed environment, and you and your supervisor may not have much control over many of the resources that you need to do your job efficiently. As a result, you must learn to be cheerful despite setbacks that will affect your timelines and learn to show no frustration when your preparation is impacted by other units that are part of process.

8. Pre-award Analyst

I worked at UC San Francisco full-time

Pros

Work independently without micromanagement. Room to grow within UCSF, it is easy to move around positions/departments

Cons

There is a large separation between workers and management. Changes take place, and there is a breakdown in getting the message out.

9. Good place to work

Pros

good atmosphere, good shuttle service from different areas of sf

Cons

no cons to speak of

Admin Asst. to Analyst: difficult but not impossible

Current Employee - Analyst II
    Current Employee - Analyst II

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful defined benefit and defined contributing plans, excellent medical, dental, etc.

Cons

I was lucky enough to advance upwards from AdminAsst3 to non-union Analyst 1, and then Analyst 2. The CUE Clerical union, membership in which is required for all AdminAsst positions, has a stranglehold on its paying members and fights very hard, any reclassifications into / promotions to, Analyst 1. I hope other Admin Assistants are as lucky as I was, to get promoted. (I had to change divisions, as do most folks to get to Analyst level.)

Advice to Management

More communication skills training, please, for people-managers.

11. Clinic research coordinator

Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in Daly City, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Instructor in Daly City, CA

I have been working at UC San Francisco full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible to work in research while on school. Great team setting. Principal investigators care about the advancement of their research staff.

Cons

HR can take a long time to process reclassifications and pay increases. There always seems to be a backlog and /or need to get your salary difference in pay provided to you in a lump sum after waiting months for it to be deposited into your account (latest retroactive pay took up to 10 months to arrive)

Advice to Management

Increased communication and notifications of changes in employment status, percentage effort and salary increases would be beneficial and appreciated. Need to be more responsive with HR

RSS Feed </> Embed