UC San Francisco

www.ucsf.edu

UC San Francisco Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Samuel Hawgood

Pros
  • Good benefits and a pension if you stay for your entire career (in 30 reviews)

• Work-life balance is very important in some departments (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult as one would expect for a clinical fellow (in 8 reviews)

• Employees consistently work long hours, and turn-over is extremely high (especially in centralized areas) (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

_____ Assistant 1

___ Assistant I (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsStart 3 weeks of vacation per year
    Full benefits for 50‰ and above
    Excellent job security
    Fantastic Benefits package
    Great opportunities for career advancement

ConsBecause there is good job security, there's a lot of 'dead wood' who have been there for years, can't get rid of them so they make everybody's work life around them miserable. If you are homophobic, do NOT work here because a great many of your co-workers are either open or closed homosexual. Never had an issue with it but can see it if someone does.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit with the stupid workshops and meetings so you can say you have them in order to give the impression you are 'employee centered' because those are a waste of time and money.

I had a great experience working there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsIt was a great opportunity to work with and learn from people that were experts in their field. The work was meaningful and I learned a lot from the position. The environment was very accomodating, allowing for flexible hours, telecommuting, and the position did not require overtime.

ConsOf course the salary at a university is not going to be close to what the salary would be in industry.

UCSF is a good place to work for beginners.

Project Coordinator (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- Approachable staff
    - Good part time job
    -Interesting work

Cons- Not very organized
    - Growth is limited
    - Not a fast pace environment

Advice to Senior Management- Add more full time employees to improve the success of programs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incompetent and Unethical Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe benefits are hard to beat

ConsThey talk a lot about "work-life balance" and "supportive work environment", but I've never experienced such toxicity on such a colossal scale.

Great, friendly environment

Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThe best research institute, a lot of opportunities to learn new things but stressful

Consneed to be independent and learn by yourself. People expect you to know and

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great and awesome

Fellow

Clinical Fellow (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat training, great exposure. You have access to great attendings and you have the opportunity to participate in clinical trials.

ConsWork life balance can be difficult as one would expect for a clinical fellow. Call schedule can be heavy.

Staff Research Associate II

Staff Research Associate II (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-very bright people
    -opportunity to learn new things
    -a lot of people willing to share ideas and train others
    -interesting talks and seminars
    -easy going environment

Cons-little pay with a lot of responsibilities
    -very slow to no promotion
    -A lot of unhappy SRAs, to the point were UCSF needs to host external surveys and events to boost morale

UCSF postdoc

ProsRelaxed environment. Smart but nice people as colleagues.

ConsProfessors have too many other obligations. Many of them are not present in lab most of the year.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus on mentoring graduate students and postdocs.

Consultant

Consultant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsAmazing resources and mentors, world-class research taking place, great people, lots of interesting events going on all the time, great benefits, learning and training opportunities

ConsAdministration is so time consuming, as with any academic organization, but there are a lot of processes that should not be as hard as they are, such as ordering supplies.

Great training with exposure to top-notch research.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExposed to may exciting research opportunities. Had the chance to work with some of the brightest. Lab budgets vary, but overall the institution is capable of drawing public grants and funds.

ConsRed tape, lots of policies to slow things down, pay is not that great.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees and it's not all about grants. Establish better relationships with vendors. Purchasing from accounts actually cost more than people submitting individual orders to vendors. However, we are restricted to buying from a business account if we have one. Spending more with an account is counter-intuitive..

Worked for UC San Francisco? Contribute to the Community!