UC Santa Cruz

www.ucsc.edu

UC Santa Cruz Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA

Updated Jul 10, 2014
UC Santa Cruz – US – “highlight”

UC Santa Cruz – US – “highlight”

UC Santa Cruz Chancellor George R. Blumenthal

George R. Blumenthal

Pros
  • Proximity to silicon valley, beautiful campus, calm and quiet place, good bus service (in 11 reviews)

• You can have a good work/life balance, but you need to make sure you hold the line (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • relatively low pay, inconsistent funding (in 7 reviews)

• Department budget cuts impacted student services (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights
82 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Limited opportunities for advancement/growth

Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsFlexible schedule accommodates family life; wouldn't be able to manage getting school-aged children to/from school otherwise. Beautiful environment. I enjoy my work. Able to get funding to attend a few conferences, or get training.

ConsUnions. Mediocre-to-intolerable co-workers at times, some here for decades. I enjoy continual learning, and optimizing my workflow, but it's hard to do that when others are resistant to change. Constant changes in management, who don't understand what I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication. Include employees in decision-making, don't just spring changes on them without even trying to determine whether those changes are needed.

Nice place to be!

Development (Former Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

Pros- excellent life work balance
    - opportunities for growth and education
    - many people really believe in what they are doing

Cons- outdated technology
    - the bureaucracy and getting people who have been working there awhile on board with new ideas that necessarily require more work than the status quo

Graduate Researcher

Graduate Researcher (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsDepending on your research advisor, the work as researcher can be incredibly rewarding or make you feel completely miserable. I was very lucky.

ConsCompensation is not high, but that is not the principal motivation to work on research when you want to obtain a graduate degree.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no complaints at all

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience.

Grader/Tutor (Former Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsI was paid appropriately for the work I did and I learned a lot about how to best teach others material I know.

ConsBefore signing up to tutor, you had to set up a max amount of hours you were willing to work per week. It was not generally allowed to work beyond these hours.

A great place to work.

Lecturer (Former Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsMy colleagues, the facilities, access, and students' college-readiness far exceeded m expectations. A truly wonderful place to work. Very friendly environment, too.

ConsNo explicit "cons" of working here come to mind.

Great Work Atmosphere

Assistant (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

Prosoffice culture, kind bosses, trees

Consavailability, lack or resources, no parking

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation

Good teachers, beautiful surroundings

Lecturer (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

Proswonderful colleagues, good political bent

Consadministrative changes that have increased class size

Beautiful Campus, Dysfunctional Culture

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsUCSC is in a gorgeous location ,with many natural wonders. We are a research university, and we have top notch environmental programs for undergrads.

ConsWe are one of the lowest-paid unit considering we're in the UC system, which makes it hard to live in this expensive county. Also, too many staff are alumni, and bring that old culture to their jobs and don't want to grow with the times.

Advice to Senior ManagementPLEASE work on paying all employees a living wage, Santa Cruz county is ridiculously expensive! We need more people doing direct services to students, not 2 people doing the work of 6. Also, faculty needs to be held more accountable for how they teach and interact, it's almost impossible to get rid of he bad apples due to faculty senate running everything.

Career Center - Student Position

Program Coordinator (Former Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsGreat co-workers, excellent access to campus and industry connections, abundant advising resources for undergrad and grad students.

ConsHidden on the campus, very little outreach being performed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild out student-led activities / clubs / job fairs / etc.

An overall lovely experience, with a few slight issues.

Teaching Assistant, College Or University (Current Employee) Santa Cruz, CA

ProsThe campus is absolutely stunning. Thick forest, families of deer, bobcat's and coyotes. The town of Santa Cruz is very friendly and charming and the ocean front is lovely. The work environment was friendly and usually supportive.

ConsSalary for teaching assistants is lower than at many universities. Some elements of disorganization within the company. There were many things I wished had been communicated to me earlier in my employment, to avoid surprises and rushed deadlines later on.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline some of your management pathways. Raise teaching assistant's salaries to be more competitive.

Worked for UC Santa Cruz? Contribute to the Community!