UC Santa Cruz Reviews in Santa Cruz, CA

Updated September 11, 2014
3.7

UC Santa Cruz Chancellor George R. Blumenthal
George R. Blumenthal

Pros
  • Proximity to silicon valley, beautiful campus, calm and quiet place, good bus service (in 11 reviews)

• You can have a good work/life balance, but you need to make sure you hold the line (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • relatively low pay, inconsistent funding (in 7 reviews)

• Department budget cuts impacted student services (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Wonderful experience that helped me develop my professional network and technical abilities.

Former Employee - Peer Advisor  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Peer Advisor in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Amazing supervisors and fantastic office relations. When I came into the office for the first time, I didn't know anyone within the school of engineering. After working there for two months I had grown to know almost every student and faculty within that department. I got to work with many different students and shaped my own development as an engineering student.

Cons

I have no cons that I can sincerely list. I was always happy to go back into the office and to assist however I could.

Continue to treat the peer advisers as the valuable assets that they are. When working with disgruntled students, or dealing with a difficult academic curriculum, the office support is always appreciated.

Working at UCSC provided a positive working environment.

Former Employee - Program Assistant  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz part-time for less than a year

Pros

UCSC, Cal Teach program was a positive environment. It fostered creativity while maintaing realistic program goals. I was given the opportunity to learn new programs and given the opportunity to apply them to the program I was working in.

Cons

I did not have any challenges in this department.

This is a great place to work at. The hiring paperwork component was a long process that took close to a month to officially complete.

UCSC Bioinformatics

Former Employee - Junior Specialist  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Junior Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic program. A lot of very knowledgable researchers in the field of bioinformatics.

Cons

The challenges involved in working at UC Santa Cruz all stem from the incapability of campus from the town.

Upper management here consists of PIs, which have all been great in my experience.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Enjoyable Student Working Experience

Former Employee - Student Support Specialist  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Student Support Specialist in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz part-time for more than a year

Pros

The campus is beautiful and being a student worker was great. Classes and coursework always came first and if work got in the way of that, it would be rectified.

Cons

There was never a bump in compensation. It was hinted that after a year returning employees would receive a small pay raise but that never happened.

Limited opportunities for advancement/growth

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at UC Santa Cruz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Flexible schedule accommodates family life; wouldn't be able to manage getting school-aged children to/from school otherwise. Beautiful environment. I enjoy my work. Able to get funding to attend a few conferences, or get training.

Cons

Unions. Mediocre-to-intolerable co-workers at times, some here for decades. I enjoy continual learning, and optimizing my workflow, but it's hard to do that when others are resistant to change. Constant changes in management, who don't understand what I do.

Improve communication. Include employees in decision-making, don't just spring changes on them without even trying to determine whether those changes are needed.

Nice place to be!

Former Employee - Development  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Development in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- excellent life work balance
    - opportunities for growth and education
    - many people really believe in what they are doing

Cons

- outdated technology
    - the bureaucracy and getting people who have been working there awhile on board with new ideas that necessarily require more work than the status quo

Graduate Researcher

Current Employee - Graduate Researcher  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Researcher in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at UC Santa Cruz part-time for more than a year

Pros

Depending on your research advisor, the work as researcher can be incredibly rewarding or make you feel completely miserable. I was very lucky.

Cons

Compensation is not high, but that is not the principal motivation to work on research when you want to obtain a graduate degree.

I have no complaints at all

Great experience.

Former Employee - Grader/Tutor  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Grader/Tutor in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz part-time for less than a year

Pros

I was paid appropriately for the work I did and I learned a lot about how to best teach others material I know.

Cons

Before signing up to tutor, you had to set up a max amount of hours you were willing to work per week. It was not generally allowed to work beyond these hours.

A great place to work.

Former Employee - Lecturer  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Former Employee - Lecturer in Santa Cruz, CA

I worked at UC Santa Cruz full-time for more than a year

Pros

My colleagues, the facilities, access, and students' college-readiness far exceeded m expectations. A truly wonderful place to work. Very friendly environment, too.

Cons

No explicit "cons" of working here come to mind.

Beautiful Campus, Dysfunctional Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at UC Santa Cruz full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

UCSC is in a gorgeous location ,with many natural wonders. We are a research university, and we have top notch environmental programs for undergrads.

Cons

We are one of the lowest-paid unit considering we're in the UC system, which makes it hard to live in this expensive county. Also, too many staff are alumni, and bring that old culture to their jobs and don't want to grow with the times.

PLEASE work on paying all employees a living wage, Santa Cruz county is ridiculously expensive! We need more people doing direct services to students, not 2 people doing the work of 6. Also, faculty needs to be held more accountable for how they teach and interact, it's almost impossible to get rid of he bad apples due to faculty senate running everything.

Worked for UC Santa Cruz? Contribute to the Community!