UCB

UCB Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

UCB Chairman, Executive Committee and CEO Roch F. Doliveux

Roch F. Doliveux

Pros
  • The new President seems to want to focus on work/life balance and a better work environment (in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, good corporate culture, professional staff (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of turnover new people come in and there is constant change (in 4 reviews)

• General attitude of entitlement and disrespect toward work environment and colleagues (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Analyst

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Smyrna, GA

ProsEuropean mindset. Flexible and easy going forward thinking approach

ConsProvide more opportunity for growth within the company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee feedback and act proactively

Mid-cap biopharma company with career growth potential

District Manager (Current Employee)

Prosgreat pipeline, you will get to know everyone given size, opportunities for advancement with organization, strong benefits package (particularly a "pension" like program at end of each year), still feels small.

ConsEuropean-based, so sometimes ideologies clash, still finding its way as a biotech company from a chemical and pharma beginning, and finding its way through new legislation.

Rapidly Evolving Corporate Culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood medicines in therapeutic areas where there is significant unmet need. Exposure to many facets of the business.

ConsChange in executive leadership over past two years has led to rapid deterioration of corporate culture. Work environment plagued by lack of transparency, politics, and lack of solution oriented thinking across the organization that paralyzes ability to move projects forward. Significant budget and resource cuts at odds with escalating business goals.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place To Work

Project Manager (Current Employee) Smyrna, GA

ProsUCB has a passion to "Live The Values". They really take what they do as a company seriously. They make sure that all who work for the company understand the seriousness of the work. The work environment is always friendly and has a good vibe.

ConsThere is always constant change. It seems like a serious game of musical chairs is going on there. With every new management change brings a new thought process on how things should run. The company is in a constant infant stage when it comes to processes. Much is expected with less workers, but I think that is everywhere these days.

Former Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNice campus. Learned a lot, but would never want to work there again.

ConsIf you are looking for a place to advance your career, skip UCB. Not even sure how I made it as long as I did, (over 5 years). If you are employed more than 5 your are considered an old-timer. High turnover, and lack of strategy. Because of turnover new people come in and there is constant change. Too much to be successful. Turnover is high at the Sr. Mgt level too including US President. Had 4 president's in 8 years.
    HR is useless, promotions (or lack thereof) are based on politics not merit. Because of the constant change people are always fearful and defensive and generally just angry. Harassment, backbiting, and inappropriate conduct is accepted and tolerated. Everything is hair on fire and whose fault is it mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop constantly throwing random ideas on the wall hoping they'll stick just to make your mark. It creates havoc. By the time your new idea and change has been adopted you are out the door.
    Stop working in silos with TWO separate business units who each operate like separate companies.
    Have a strategy and stick to it.
    Reward employees based on merit. Create career pathways and internships so that people can get cross-functional experience.

Good benefits and good people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCompany treated me very well while I was there. Excellent promotional track. Time I was there was a great experience. Company places very high value on professional development, which was one of the best things about UCB.

ConsSmaller company didn't have as much marketing power as a large one. Market access and managed care focus lacked while I was there.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow more opportunities for rep involvement.

If you want to get ahead, don't get stuck in the sales side where there is NO Managed Care Access.

Sales-Biotechnology-Immunology (Current Employee) Smyrna, GA

ProsImmunology pipeline is among the best. Pay well, but they have to or more people would leave.

ConsEurope is scared of doing business with customers (Doctors who buy and bill the drugs). The CIA from US OIG is the driving force behind EVERYTHING done at the field level. Management everywhere, leadership nowhere. No viable marketing positioning to Managed Care based on cost leader of products; therefore, no Managed Care access. No political cojones to protect buy and bill (Medicare) growth market. Get a promotion by never getting anywhere close to having to try and sell anything to a customer, it won't sell well, and your resume will not get padded for future success. Get out now into something support related (especially iTechPadPhone) they love this stuff.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhich top ranked business school told you it was a great idea to re-jigger your field sales team SIX MONTHS into the launch of your most Important Drug?

Which top ranked Research/Medical school told you to confabulate the long term data of a great drug such that you cannot receive extended data into your Package Insert YEARS after the drug is launched?

Which pencil headed consultant geeks told you that going head to head with MONSTER Biotechnology companies was a great marketing plan~completely ignoring the niche of providing a unique delivery system where customer's share in the revenue stream; and control initiation and maintenance of the therapy?

High expectations

Neuroscience Sales Representative (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUCB pays their employees well, has decent benefits and great products. They have a great patient assistance program. UCB has a great pipeline.

ConsThis job is high pressure and high expectations. If you are in the sales representative role, their is little regard for work life balance. Very cut throat.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the field and trust that most are experienced and want to help the company succeed.

Not the worst, but no where near good if you expect any advancement in your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsGreat group of people, new technology isn't something their afraid of, the pay is great if you're a full-time employee, as are the benefits.

ConsPretty much everything else. Belgian-centric management team is unaware or uncaring of the contributions of U.S. members. Contractors are looked down on as less than worthy contributors to the goals and objectives of the company, even if they excel. Love to make promises but never follow through on them regardless of your track record. Under-handed, 2-faced dealings run rampant. Scare tactics from HR if/when you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Inability to recognize and/or reward talented people to the extent of firing them for no reason. Welcome to one of the "right-to-work" states.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice, they wouldn't listen anyway. If you don't work directly with the person you're dismissing, maybe you should talk to those who do before making knee-jerk decisions about them. A lot of times, there is a real reason for unhappiness, management just don't care. They want robots and puppies, people who just do what they're told with what they're given without a voice or concern for their employee's well-being.

R&D Chemist

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and vacation.

ConsHard to advance regardless of how many hours or training you put in.

Worked for UCB? Contribute to the Community!