UCB Reviews

Updated April 1, 2015
103 reviews filtered by
UCB CEO Jean-Christophe Tellier
Jean-Christophe Tellier

Pros
  • The new President seems to want to focus on work/life balance and a better work environment (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits, good corporate culture, professional staff (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Because of turnover new people come in and there is constant change (in 6 reviews)

• Little or no communication between departments, making it harder to have good change management in place (in 3 reviews)

1. Great place to work

Current Employee - Directors in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Directors in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at UCB

Pros

Salary and benefits, great people and a culture of co-creation

Cons

Leadership not always in tune with the people

Advice to Management

Spend time with all levels of employees to understand how your changes in structure, strategy and processes impace everyone.

2. UCB Raleigh is a nice place to work, and the atmosphere in the whole company will attract you to stay.

I have been working at UCB

Pros

I' m a part time intern here. Everyone helps me and guides me. I learned a lot.

Cons

I do not think there is some thing to say at here.

3. Solid company

I worked at UCB

Pros

Good benefits, decent base salary, average bonus potential

Cons

Nit much in US GI pipeline

5. Good company with process challenges and lack of progressive thought.

Former Employee - Sales in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Smyrna, GA

I worked at UCB

Pros

The company has Great benefits, dedicated people, and you have the ability to see how your work benefits patients and physicians.

Cons

The company operates in a fire drill mentality and lacks true strategic planning skills. Also, they operate too lean in critical process and data analytics areas of the company.

Advice to Management

There is no one size fits all model but management still continues to rate everyone in a one size fits all system. Think progressively and you will possibly keep more talent at the company.

NO ADVANCEMENT

I have been working at UCB

Pros

UCB has good salary compensation and a great benefit package.

Cons

But that is all that is good. The environment in Smyrna is toxic. Management shows to only invest in a select few individuals, leaving others who are more qualified left to hibernate. They do not even appear concerned that high-talented individuals are pursuing opportunities outside the company.

Conversations with management are one-sided with little to no open dialogue. There is not investment in career development, even when asked. Managers only look out for themselves, causing their young (but thirsty) talent to swim alone in a shark tank and will not stand up for them behind closed doors.

Mistakes are cataloged, not to be overlooked or forgiven, without regard to the magnitude of the error or even if an individual took steps to rectify the situation before it made any impact. This will eventually lead to an uncomfortable, hostile and toxic working situation.

They are constantly restructuring and cutting budgets.

And who wants that?

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to what you have and what you are losing. If individuals are lacking in areas needed for advancement then you should invest and assist grooming them and not set individuals up for failure.

Run and never look back!

I worked at UCB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working environment and decent pay

Cons

Where do I begin. Management is a joke and are paid way beyond their capabilities. The company does a lot of illegal underhand games to fire/set employees up. Management base their decisions off personal feelings and not facts. If you blink wrong one day your reputation is tarnished. Never worked at a place full of such unprofessionalism, lack of care for their employees, and just full of lies.

The corporate office is clueless to U.S. culture and has a tight grip on how it is ran. This really slows down opportunities for innovation and change. They try to say that everyone should bring ideas to the table to help better change but that is not true. You waste your breathe explaining the disadvantages/advantages of certain changes and you are shut out and deemed negative.

HR is a waste of a department. They're not beneficial to the organization and is completely twisted. That is the main department that needs change. There is no room for movement and they oversell you on dreams/promises, but never deliver.

Advice to Management

You seriously need to get rid of a lot of people and start over. Just because people have been there for years doesn't mean they need to be promoted into management. Invest more into management to better lead the team. It's like the blind leading the blind. Take the time to realize that it may not be an employee issue but a management issue.

Don't believe the pipe dream

I have been working at UCB

Pros

At the time I was there and started there were some really smart people there and I enjoyed working with them. Also the things that UCB do for their patients is really good and actually meeting some of them motivates you and excite you to do your job because of how it helps them. Best place for a sales rep to come

Cons

Poor management and too many high level managers that make too much money and don't know what they are doing and definitely can not lead a department or a team. Make decisions on personal or emotional issues of their own and not what's best for UCB. They want to be voted as one of the best places to work but changing wall colors, furniture and stuff is not going to work instead they should start caring about their employees by their actions and not just saying it. UCB will drain you of all of yourself and make you doubt your abilities. They will paint a picture and sale you a pipe dream but once you are in and you have just a little of a brain you will see that it is a mess and how in the h*** did I get here!!

Advice to Management

Get your management together. Which I hope the new CEO will see how their are too many upper management that should not be in their positions!!

Pharmaceutical experience in the southeast

I have been working at UCB

Pros

Good Compensation, Strong benefits, authentic care for patients

Cons

Senior leadership ineffective and non-collaborative. Belgian HQ has tight control, limiting ability to be creative in this environment.

Advice to Management

Get out of our offices more and learn account the needs of our teams

Watch your back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Smyrna, GA

I worked at UCB full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the pay and benefits, and most of the people I worked with were very pleasant. Good work/life balance is nice. The food in the cafeteria is good as well.

Cons

Sneaky management team ready to throw you under the bus. Serious lack of focus regarding what the company needs to be doing for the future. Trans-Atlantic work is a real challenge, given that things are run out of Brussels. Tons of pointless summit meetings and BS activities where all people do is talk about what they "should" be doing. The so-called "patient focus" is a joke; all UCB cares about is selling product.

Advice to Management

Set concrete, individual metrics for incentives and hold people accountable for meeting those metrics. You cannot drive change unless people have skin in the game.

Headed in the wrong direction

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at UCB full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company as a whole is trying to focus on employee satisfaction by creating work/life balance, on site car wash, and other employee engagement activities

Cons

Managers are out for self gain, has no idea how to lead people. Implementing systems that provide little or no value to the team or the customers, and systems are poorly tested, so they never work correctly.

Advice to Management

Listen to your team, the ones who actually do the work. Don't be afraid to advocate for your team, rather than just accepting what leadership says, because they don't understand what's going on at the operations level.

UCB Photos

UCB Smyrna campus overlooking the lake
Central, collaborative atrium in the Smyrna offices
Employees eating lunch at the UCB Café