UCI Medical Affiliates Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Mike Stout

1. It was an excellent entry-level learning experience that helped me broaden my knowledge in healthcare administration.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates as an intern

Pros

The working environment was very welcoming with friendly staff that guided me through things that I didn't know how to do. It was also a great hands-on experience that allowed me to work closely with different doctors and see how administration works.

Cons

Because I did work with doctors, a lot of things required certain certifications that limited my ability to take part in these activities.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to see how other's did work when there was down time in order to expand my knowledge

2. USED TO BE AWESOME........THEN CORPORATE CHANGED HANDS......

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I have been working at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers turned "family"....good dental and vision, 401K and free visits for employee and family as long as u can afford the health ins coverage

Cons

Corporate higher ups have unreasonable demands for "production" we are a medical office not a factory line!!!

Advice to Management

Use your common sense...... don't expect us to treat our patients as farm animals to move em in and push em out. Show your gratitude to your employees esp the ones that have stuck thru thick and thin with the company and all its trials. ..... allow offices to be staffed with ADEQUATE staff so that the workers aren't killing themselves to make it through a day. The person in the position in our corporate office to make these ridiculous rules should come down to our office level and work 1 12 hour day and see how it really goes down. We don't work a cushy bankers hour, in a comfy computer chair behind a nice desk and in a comfortable AC office. Our office is often too hot cause we r actually moving, and IF we get to stop and eat, it's only for a short period time. Holding our urine to the point of making us have UTI and our 12 hour shifts often turn into 13 and 14 hour shifts. But they r sure to make it so that u come in late one day to shave off that time from preventing overtime.

3. This place has really gone down hill since BCBS bought it out almost 3 years ago.

Former Employee - Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC
    Former Employee - Nurse in Myrtle Beach, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It could be an excellent urgent care, but greed has prevented them from caring about patients or employees.

Cons

Employees work hours with no breaks. Lowest wages paid. Upper management is disrespectful and demanding. Blatant favoritism is shown to the suck ups. They do not appreciate those who work hard to help grow the business. Discrimination is no stranger to these bunch of rednecks. They make it very clear that the bottom line is all that matters and that they do not care about the patients.

Advice to Management

Pull your head out of your butt and pay attention to what is happening in these clinics.

5. Company had great deal of potential . . . which remains unfulfilled.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates

Pros

Most of past "pros" had to do with benefits company afforded employees. However, benefits (like sugar) don't provide long-term value or satisfaction. Easily provided . . . easily removed.

Cons

UCI Medical Affiliates (home of state-wide Doctors Care network) grew out of a "mom-and-pop" organizational structure. Some of that outdated mindset remains. Much of the company's policies and procedures are not standardized (i.e. mom-and-pop). The company's operation is highly decentralized. Regional management sets much of its own policy and standards. Some of those regional managers and administrators are neither trained nor fully competent in their critical positions (many are; many are not). Consequently, you can't assign an across-the-board "pro" or "con" to the company. You'd have to judge each region as a separate entity.

Advice to Management

Standardize your operations (hiring, firing, training, policies, procedures) company-wide. That applies equally to your handling of physician and mid-level employees. In many instances, you've been too quick to hire and too slow to fire. Driven to staff your regional administrators from within the company, you've allowed a couple of those incompetent promotions to remain as fixtures. The result: some centers are manged (not by the most highly qualified, but) by employees who have successfully endeared themselves to certain administrators.

Mike Stout, specifically, needs to spend most of his professional life traveling among his many centers -- not in his office. He needs to have regular confidential meetings with rank-and-file staff (not so much managers or even his administrators); he needs to spend more than 30 minutes visiting any one office (i.e. drive-bys); he needs to make clear to physicians that they either commit to their scheduled hours -- or they're gone; and (finally) he needs to spend much of his time marketing Doctors Care to the many state-wide (and out-of-state) resident training programs. As CEO, he should (non-stop) recruit wave after wave of new providers into his company. Instead, he spends far too much time wading thru his e/m and auditing paperwork from his providers. That's what he has staff there for.

6. UCI Dining

Former Employee - UCI Dining Staff in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - UCI Dining Staff in Irvine, CA

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates

Pros

Slightly more than minimum wage, managers are pretty cool if you do your work and don't say anything. Free food is always a plus.

Cons

Hours aren't an issue since you set your own but closing always sucks. The job is tedious, boring, exhausting and you sometimes work in very warm environments.

Advice to Management

They need to be more clear about what they want their employees to focus on. If they emphasize getting familiar with a certain aspect of the job, they need to make sure they leave you in that position instead of always moving you around.

7. RA of ME

Former Employee - Resident Advisor in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Resident Advisor in Irvine, CA

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates

Pros

wonderful community with coworkers that have the same goal in mind...to promote growth in their residents and develop them into diverse and caring members of UCI!

Cons

sometimes it may have been difficult to operate with the limited members of upper management and their illogical forms of governing

Advice to Management

hopefully once the issue of the hiring freeze is over, it will be easier to actually hire some good help

8. Commuter College with shiny highlights

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at UCI Medical Affiliates

Pros

Benefits, Health care. Southern California with the Ocean up front.
    Possibility to mingle with Nobel Laureates and aspiring brilliant scientists.
    Space. So many new buildings, but so little people.

Cons

Administrative Chaos. Hiring of bright minds but not so bright administrators. Since and otherwise.
    Bureaucracy is mind boggling. Can be very isolated place with little collaborative ventures.

Advice to Management

Get your health science administration together and make a plan that goes beyond fancy buildings and empty promises to people you recruit. Support them and do not forget. They pay some of your bills.

9. Very easy student job. While the pay is very marginal, you are not doing much at all so it is justified.

Former Employee - Library Assistant in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Library Assistant in Irvine, CA

I worked at UCI Medical Affiliates

Pros

Barely had to do anything, it was a very low key job and it gave you the opportunity to meet other students.

Cons

Not much at all. During finals week the Study center is open for 24 hrs, and you are expected to take some late night / early morning shifts which can be annoying. However you can just bring a text book and study for your own finals there.

Advice to Management

Nothing

10. Growth Issues

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, SC

I have been working at UCI Medical Affiliates

Pros

UCI cares about their corporate employees, and shows it through some of their benefit programs. They offer free healthcare to employees and their family. The 401-K is matched at a 150% rate up to 4%. There are also other perks like the company gym.

Cons

There are some issues in management of the company. There has been a tremendous amount of growth, but policies/procedures have not adapted to the size of the company. Many of the supervisors and managers do not have a background in managing people, and unfortunately, it shows.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting management up to par.

11. Current Employee

Current Employee - Clinical Personnel
    Current Employee - Clinical Personnel

I have been working at UCI Medical Affiliates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Physicians, flexible schedules, 401K with company match dollar for dollar.

Cons

Low pay, many responsibilities for the pay including housekeeping and taking out trash, high deductible health insurance, almost no training, hard work with no appreciation from management.
    High turnover rate do to the above.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your staff and helping them out. Everyone is suppose to be a team player, but employees follow what they see. Reward the good and get rid of the bad.

RSS Feed </> Embed