UCLA

UCLA Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block

Gene D. Block

Pros
  • work life balance is good with flexible options available(in 17 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • Difficult to balance teaching and course load at the same time, especially as a graduate student(in 12 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse(in 11 reviews)

Researcher

Staff Research Associate (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat PI relationship and supportive staff. I received a lot of help from other researchers, it has a real sense of community.

ConsCould be a little bit political in the higher ranking faculties
    Extremely long hours, including weekend work but I knew that going in, just never realized how extensive it is.

good environment

Prosgood environment, benefit and culture

Conswork-life balance, high rent fee

UCLA Facilities Management

Electrician (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsUCLA is a beautiful place to work at. There are quite a few awesome personalities at play in such a diverse community. There are also many brilliant minds within the Facilities Management, academic and medical staff. The University does an excellent job of maintaining the campus and medical center hardscape and interior appearances.

ConsThere is a political atmosphere that can be discouraging at times. It concerns me that cronyism is still very prevalent. Some members of management lack the professionalism that is expected of a sector that handles a large amount of business.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the level professionalism amongst managers that have no MBA background. Also I believe The Labor relations may in need of an audit. There are an increasing number of labor disputes that I feel should have been resolved before they reached the ,leaving a negative stain on an otherwise pleasant work atmosphere.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very professional

Assistant Researcher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Proslike working there, very good atmosphere

Consnone none none none none

Great School

ProsLots of different groups and opportunities. The classes are challenging but make for a great education overall.

ConsIt's hard to walk up the hills especially if you live on campus, but it comes with having a big campus!

ucla is okay but traffic is lousy

Assistant Project Scientist (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Prosdiversity, lots of different types of people

Constraffic and parking are absolutely horrific

Advice to Senior Managementmore alternative energy

Programmer Analyst at UCLA

Programmer Analyst III (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsUCLA is a great place to work if you are in the right dept. Stable, many professional development opportunities but you have to be self motivated. No one will push you out of your comfort zone.

ConsSalaries are much lower than outside the University.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, the technical people who actually get the work done, and be supportive to them.

Stayed much longer than I expected

Administrative Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits if you can last long enough to get them. Lovely working environment and campus. Great weather.

ConsInflexible. Very difficult to move up or around. Apathy of long-term employees. Working here might kill anyone's work ethic as it is a bureaucratic behemoth. Terrible commute times for staff because cost of living in area is unaffordable to anyone other than the super rich. Extreme financial peaks and valleys exacerbated by poor management.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompletely eliminate every single AVC.

This is about my experience in my fourth year as a graduate student research in the EE Dept. at UCLA.

Graduate Student Researcher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThe Professors are very sharp and are on top of what is happening in the field. Also for most graduate students funding is never a serious problem.

ConsUCLA could do a better job of encouraging graduate students and researchers to socialize. I have often felt that buying lab equipment was prioritized over using funds to send me to conferences, and that professors do not provide much guidance for students to find their careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe department needs to encourage a friendlier work culture. Students are already very friendly towards each other; it is the Professors who create an artificial boundary between them and the students.

Good place for the youngest postdoc to improve skills.

Assistant Researcher (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsGood to get more experience as a researcher/postdoc/scientist, but you should look for a better opportunities as soon as possible. Friendly environment. Not good carreer opportunities. It depends on the $ you bring in (Grants).

ConsVery tight budget. Low salary. Preference for young postdocs because their payment is low. Not good carreer opportunities. It depends on the $ you bring in (Grants). However, many regulations make it difficult to get your own Grant. Everything is about $. If you have Grants to pay your own salary you are "in" even if you are not part of the average. You can work hard with integrity but if no Grant, no Job!

Worked for UCLA? Contribute to the Community!