UCLA Health Reviews

102 reviews filtered by
3.7
UCLA Health President Dr. David T. Feinberg
Dr. David T. Feinberg

Pros
  • Good benefits package when offered (in 9 reviews)

• I really enjoyed working at UCLA because of it's professional environment, and great benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (I would get e-mails on a Sunday and respond to them right away (in 3 reviews)

• many employees start their careers and retire here (in 3 reviews)

1. Decent Starting Place

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are friendly; Good benefits; A variety of people from multiple disciplines; Flexible schedule if the nature of the job does not require 8-5.

Cons

Below-market pay; Not enough room for growth for non-clinical jobs; If you are in software development, technology may not be quite up-to-date.

Pay the non-clinical employees better, perhaps there is a need to reanalyze the budget; Do away with the pretentious clocking system.

2. Good company to start off in.

Former Intern - UCLA Health in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Intern - UCLA Health in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA Health as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Get to meet a lot of different people and the pay is pretty good for a summer internship. Most of the people outside of some of the nurses and doctors are extremely friendly.

Cons

Quality of work depends heavily on which department you get assigned to. You could potentially be doing anything inside the company and you don't get very much say as to where you'll end up. Getting into the position often requires a "know somebody high up to get in" approach.

Try to match up the department that you put interns in with their skill sets better. It's extremely frustrating to end up in a position that focuses on skills that do not apply to your college education, especially when better positions at UCLA Health are certainly available to intern in with enough foresight.

3. Slow moving, full of paper work

Former Employee - Staff Research Associate
    Former Employee - Staff Research Associate

I worked at UCLA Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool ideas, smart people, good benefits

Cons

Everything takes forever, little/arbitrary/meaningless feedback , hard to get things done

5. I have worked here for 7 years and love the retirement benfits

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health

Pros

They match 6 % pension plus you put extra money aside in your 403B. You get to see a doctor RIGHT accross the street from work. including dentitst.

Cons

They pay is never good enough. There is also the glass ceiling, which if you are a hard worker you will hit!

6. it was a trying experience

Former Employee - Clinical Care Extender in UCLA, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Extender in UCLA, CA

I worked at UCLA Health

Pros

i think that you would be able to have a good time working with patients and developing health care related skills in the field

Cons

the challenges associated include getting in touch with the patients well in advance, and talking with the professionals

structure more organized training sessions

7. I have learned things while working for UCLA health that can only be learned through experience from patients to MDs.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

With such a large group of employees UCLA Health does a great job having having everyone feel connected. I believe that we offer our patients the best group of doctors and with CareConnect System (EMR system) our doctors can really keep track of their patient's care and makes working at the office easier. Offers great training in CareConnect system. Great values to provide patients with the best care. Great benefits

Cons

at times i feel as if the office is under staffed, some people are doing the job of two people, management wants to bring more patients through the doors but won't hire the staff to keep up with growing number of patients. I don't think there is a lot of room to grow.

8. Great starting point

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Westwood, CA
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Westwood, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great learning experience, vast amount of knowledge in the "corporate" world, great networking with a large number of employees, great benifits

Cons

Politics, poor leadership, paid less than private sector, you become a number rather than a name

to incestuous, needs better and stronger relationships will all aspects of staff rather than just their leadership.

UCLA Health is a good place to begin a career in healthcare without necessarily becoming a doctor or nurse.

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Working with leading people in the healthcare field.
    - Values patient care. Patient-centered organization.
    - Great benefits/coverages.
    - The organization does its best to live by it's vision, mission, and values.

Cons

- Pay is not as good.
    - Slimmer career growth.
    - There's a good technical training for the electronic health record and orientation and trainings for development, but you pretty much learn on the job as you go.
    - Traditional bureaucratic mentality.
    - Hard to change culture in some ways.

10. Mediocre experience

Former Contractor - Administrative Specialist
    Former Contractor - Administrative Specialist

I worked at UCLA Health as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was a temp, so these are my observations after being there for about two months. Some of the people I worked with were very nice and helpful. The pay is good; you get a lot of paid holidays off that other people in the private sector do not, and if you're full-time, the benefits are great. For my particular role, I was able to go in at eight AM and get off right at five, which I really liked.

Cons

The culture there is non-existent. I didn't feel like I could be relaxed and be myself around my boss and coworkers. The vibe that I got was one that is very stuffy and conservative. I believe that this was mostly due to the department and person I was working for. Top-down management is how it is there, but that is not something I generally enjoy nor work best in. I do understand however, that it is something that is common in health care. Despite that, I can tell that there are other departments that seem more relaxed and laid back, but this was definitely not one of them.

It was a mediocre experience not only because of the lack of culture and the stuffiness, but also because the communication within the department sucked horribly. Just to get one thing done (like pay an invoice), five people have to be involved, and you have to have all these different accounts set-up just so that you can get permission and access to do what it is you're trying to do. Totally inefficient, and I believe a lot of their processes are redundant and could use some serious streamlining. Additionally, some of the people I asked questions to, were kinda clueless despite having been at UCLA for years.

Parking is expensive and there is no subsidy. You have to go to the parking department (which can be a schlep depending where you're located) to get your parking pass. Why they don't have a way to do it online is beyond me. Traffic in the area is atrocious.

Overall, I look at this as a learning experience. It has however, made me re-think whether I want to be involved in the health care industry at all.

11. 1

I have been working at UCLA Health

Pros

benefits, big, diverse, structured, comp

Cons

work life balance, management, discounts