UCLA Health

Updated February 24, 2015
3.7

UCLA Health President Dr. David T. Feinberg
Dr. David T. Feinberg

Pros
  • Good benefits package when offered (in 9 reviews)

• I really enjoyed working at UCLA because of it's professional environment, and great benefits (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No work/life balance (I would get e-mails on a Sunday and respond to them right away (in 3 reviews)

• many employees start their careers and retire here (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I have worked here for 7 years and love the retirement benfits

Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Research Associate III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health

Pros

They match 6 % pension plus you put extra money aside in your 403B. You get to see a doctor RIGHT accross the street from work. including dentitst.

Cons

They pay is never good enough. There is also the glass ceiling, which if you are a hard worker you will hit!

it was a trying experience

Former Employee - Clinical Care Extender in UCLA, CA
    Former Employee - Clinical Care Extender in UCLA, CA

I worked at UCLA Health

Pros

i think that you would be able to have a good time working with patients and developing health care related skills in the field

Cons

the challenges associated include getting in touch with the patients well in advance, and talking with the professionals

structure more organized training sessions

Mediocre experience

Former Contractor - Administrative Specialist
    Former Contractor - Administrative Specialist

I worked at UCLA Health as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I was a temp, so these are my observations after being there for about two months. Some of the people I worked with were very nice and helpful. The pay is good; you get a lot of paid holidays off that other people in the private sector do not, and if you're full-time, the benefits are great. For my particular role, I was able to go in at eight AM and get off right at five, which I really liked.

Cons

The culture there is non-existent. I didn't feel like I could be relaxed and be myself around my boss and coworkers. The vibe that I got was one that is very stuffy and conservative. I believe that this was mostly due to the department and person I was working for. Top-down management is how it is there, but that is not something I generally enjoy nor work best in. I do understand however, that it is something that is common in health care. Despite that, I can tell that there are other departments that seem more relaxed and laid back, but this was definitely not one of them.

It was a mediocre experience not only because of the lack of culture and the stuffiness, but also because the communication within the department sucked horribly. Just to get one thing done (like pay an invoice), five people have to be involved, and you have to have all these different accounts set-up just so that you can get permission and access to do what it is you're trying to do. Totally inefficient, and I believe a lot of their processes are redundant and could use some serious streamlining. Additionally, some of the people I asked questions to, were kinda clueless despite having been at UCLA for years.

Parking is expensive and there is no subsidy. You have to go to the parking department (which can be a schlep depending where you're located) to get your parking pass. Why they don't have a way to do it online is beyond me. Traffic in the area is atrocious.

Overall, I look at this as a learning experience. It has however, made me re-think whether I want to be involved in the health care industry at all.

I have learned things while working for UCLA health that can only be learned through experience from patients to MDs.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant II

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

With such a large group of employees UCLA Health does a great job having having everyone feel connected. I believe that we offer our patients the best group of doctors and with CareConnect System (EMR system) our doctors can really keep track of their patient's care and makes working at the office easier. Offers great training in CareConnect system. Great values to provide patients with the best care. Great benefits

Cons

at times i feel as if the office is under staffed, some people are doing the job of two people, management wants to bring more patients through the doors but won't hire the staff to keep up with growing number of patients. I don't think there is a lot of room to grow.

UCLA Health is a good place to begin a career in healthcare without necessarily becoming a doctor or nurse.

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Working with leading people in the healthcare field.
    - Values patient care. Patient-centered organization.
    - Great benefits/coverages.
    - The organization does its best to live by it's vision, mission, and values.

Cons

- Pay is not as good.
    - Slimmer career growth.
    - There's a good technical training for the electronic health record and orientation and trainings for development, but you pretty much learn on the job as you go.
    - Traditional bureaucratic mentality.
    - Hard to change culture in some ways.

I have been working at UCLA Health

Pros

benefits, big, diverse, structured, comp

Cons

work life balance, management, discounts

Awesome Experience

I worked at UCLA Health

Pros

It was really fun to intern here. I felt I got a lot of experience with various departments. Look for awesome projects you can contribute to. It allows you to gain connections and references for future jobs.

Cons

Nothing! Everything follows UCLA protocols and everyone is super friendly.

Continue to hire and allow people like me to intern and learn.

Busy workplace

Former Employee - Ambulatory LVN in Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Ambulatory LVN in Brentwood, CA

I worked at UCLA Health full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great place to gain experience in a busy mult-specialty department. Serves newborn to geriatric population so every day is different!

Cons

Really look over your shoulder. If you are the new kid on the block...watch your back.

Administrative Assistant

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at UCLA Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, hours, vacation. Large company so lots of resources. Company culture is decent but is what is offered is not attractive to employees.

Cons

Not much growth within department. have to pay for own parking and is very expensive. could better enforce department polices to improve workflow.

offer more company perks

Great experience and high morale

Former Contractor - Super User in Westwood, CA
    Former Contractor - Super User in Westwood, CA

I worked at UCLA Health as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and high morale.

Cons

The commute (405 fwy) traffic