UCLA Reviews

Reset
3.9
UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Great compensation and work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student culture is nonexistent (in 20 reviews)

• low salary with high cost in LA (in 9 reviews)

1. Summer Undergrad Internship

Pros

Great resources, beautiful campus, positive working environment

Cons

Parking difficult, otherwise an overall great working environment

Advice to Management

None

2. Love UCLA

Pros

I love it, excellent school to learn and grow. Lots of opportunities if you can get in!

Cons

Pay needs to be more competitive.

3. Great experience

I worked at UCLA part-time

Pros

Great people! Fabulous environment! Loved my time there, and I know no other place will ever come close to my time at UCLA. Free food very frequently.

Cons

I have no complaints whatsoever, I have nothing but great things to ever say about my three years at UCLA.

Advice to Management

In my three years there, my wage was only raised once. Living on the west side is quite expensive, so make raises more frequently.

5. Student Researcher

Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Lab Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Professors are generally extremely helpful to students and accommodate class schedules. For many labs, there is ample opportunity to grow as long as the student has ambition to do so.

Cons

The compensation is generally underwhelming and when I worked there part-time, there were no benefits to speak of. There weren't many good places to eat nearby. Sometimes the OSHA safety regulations got to be annoying.

Advice to Management

Try to make sure that all the shared areas are not in need of renovation, and try to make the repairs before they become necessary.

6. SAC operation assistant

Former Employee - Operation Assistant in UCLA, CA
    Former Employee - Operation Assistant in UCLA, CA

Pros

great job for undergra students

Cons

The operation hours of the building from 6am to 12nm. There are early morning and late night shift.

7. Resident Assistant

Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Resident Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Residential Life at UCLA is a very inclusive community that fosters safe and welcoming environments both for residents and the professional staff that works there. From Day 1 of being in ResLife I have had the opportunity to grow and develop into a well-rounded leader and socially conscious individual. This has been essential to my experience as both a student and employee at this university. Residential Life works to develop individuals that are aware and stand up to injustice, if they feel comfortable doing so. In Residential Life you get to find your family-away from home and work closely with incredible students who have their own passions and it's definitely rewarding to be able to help build relationships and foster a great living and learning environment.

Cons

Although being a Resident Assistant at UCLA is a very exciting and rewarding experience, at times it feels like you plateau in regards to your growth and development as an individual, which is what ResLife preaches as one of it's Core missions. You see a lot of RAs that are involved and immersed in the position and really put in hard work, but others that are performing sub-par and get away with it. The politics of rehiring and staff selection are extremely draining, and although it all depends on who your Resident Director is and which staff you are currently on, working becomes a "wanting to get rehired" process rather than "do your job and be your best!" Research and Surveys are important, we get it, but when you have to spend two quarters constantly bugging the students asking them to fill out long surveys and make everything a competition between buildings and floors, then it takes away from what Resident Assistants could do for their students because they have this survey completion requirement that they must focus on. The RA position is a part-time commitment but in reality you will be asked to dedicate way more than that, all depending on who your supervisor might be. So while you may have many tasks to complete apart from your duty, other RAs on different staffs may have fewer responsibilities. Equality across the board is necessary.

Advice to Management

Listen to the students and listen to the student-staff. Professional Staff often gets caught up in fulfilling their required responsibilities without really taking into consideration student input, which could be beneficial since we are the ones directly affected by the decisions they make. Get motivated. If you are not excited doing what you do, then how will your staff members find the motivation needed to get through the year. Practice what you preach and develop equal expectations for all RAs across all different staffs on the Hill.

8. Great research environment

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in UCLA, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in UCLA, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the best people in the field of applied maths & analysis are here. There department is gaining in strength, and acquiring some talented people.

Cons

The building is not so great: What do you expect? Looks a lot like a psyche ward. Do don't have a personal key: Each key opens almost every door.

Advice to Management

The timing of payments is totally unpredictable, even to admin staff that are supposed to know it. This causes problems for budgeting.

Big Family

I worked at UCLA part-time

Pros

Health benefits, 3 tier fee structure, great hours (albeit non-flexible since it is a class)

Cons

none really, except that some grading has to do outside of the "hours" estimated. On certain weeks, the hourly wage is about minimum wage because of extra grading.

Love working at UCLA

Current Employee - Career Services Intern
    Current Employee - Career Services Intern

Pros

It has been the best experience, people really care about your professional development and want to see you succeed.

Cons

I have really enjoyed my time and cannot think of anything negative to say. Everything is great!

11. Great Environment for research

Pros

Various laboratories collaborating each other to better research

Cons

Most core facilities are in housed and well equipt

RSS Feed </> Embed