UCLA

Updated January 24, 2015
3.9

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Income for graduate student can be unstable, depending on how well your PI manage to get funding (in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing teaching experience to students with little/no research background

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Very flexible curriculum (it depends on which faculties were invited for the research seminar).
    Opportunity to teach how to think through deconstructing the faculty talk, rather than giving them factual informations.
    Rewarding experience; students' intellectual growths is clearly visible.

Cons

Lecture materials are not recyclable; curriculum is completely dependent on the research topic of the faculties.
    The faculty's research topic can be outside of your field (broad knowledge in biomedical sciences would be very helpful).

Great research environment.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in UCLA, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in UCLA, CA

I have been working at UCLA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

UCLA is a rising star right now in my academic area. There's lots of activity, and good career placement when you move on. Lots of cool out-of town visitors.

Cons

Long hours and very demanding work, as expected. Living LA is also kind of a pain to me because of the traffic and the fact very large number of people.

You're doing great by leaving the graduate students to do their work.

Anesthesiology resident

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Lots of interesting and challenging cases. The attendings follow policy and rules to protect resident learning. You rotate at various hospital and one private practice setting to see a variety of practice styles. As a team captain in your senior year you have the opportunity to increase you understanding of how the operating room triage system works, evaluate trauma cases coming through the ER, intubate patients on the floor, manage the PACU at night, get cases started on short notice while supervising junior residents, and help coordinate the operating room setting at night and on weekends with attending supervision/backup. I feel that has been an invaluable experience.

Cons

Some weeks you work a lot (80hours) but overall you work ~60-65 hours/week. They very carefully follow ACGME rules and require you to keep detailed logs. Some attendings teach more than others but overall I think the intraoperative teaching is good and relevant to the case you are doing. The program is big and the sites are multiple so you won't feel like you know your attendings or that they know you until that last 2 years. The focus leans more to independent study because people are at various sites. It is hard to coordinate equal learning and quality didactics for all residents with the call schedules and location changes. There are no "education days" like other places have. You really have to study and take initiative on your own. The class is too big for hand-holding. If you don't take initiative, you won't be noticed or have your potential recognized like you would at a smaller program. Less warm-fuzzies and more business-like atmosphere.

The mentor program is a useless checklist. The mentors are not actually useful or seem to care about each resident individually, just something they are required to do to keep you on track to graduate.

Good college to work for!

Former Employee - Adjunct Assistant Professor in UCLA, CA
    Former Employee - Adjunct Assistant Professor in UCLA, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Beautiful campus
    Great reputation.
    Good school.
    Depends on the department you work for, though.

Cons

Depends on the department you work for. If you're working for a good department chair, you're all set. If your department chair is incompetent, look out!

More oversight on department chairs!

Teaching assistant experience all depends on who your assigned professor is.

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

With good professors:
    -Schedule flexibility
    -Good teaching experience
    -Not too demanding

Cons

With bad professors (only one bad experience):
    -Professors can be condescending
    -Can overly demanding
    -Can be temperamental

Good research institute.

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Scholar in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

The school has many talented scientists and resource. Postdocs have many opportunities to meet with field leading scientists. Collaborations between laboratories are highly encouraged. The school provides different platform for career advancement trainings.

Cons

It might be difficult sometimes to get the resources needed because the campus is too big.

Fair employer

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

You are eligible to purchase employee parking if you are employed at least 50% of the time.

The official requirement for teaching assistant is 10h/week, which makes the hourly rate $50. From that perspective, it is a well paid hourly job.

Your wage will increase gradually per year based on teaching experience.

Cons

Grading the exams can be painful!

Graduate Student Researcher

Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Student Researcher in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I can work on research topics that I like. And I can publish papers meantime. The working environment is not stressful and I work with young and talented student researchers.

Cons

Since it is a position from school, the payment is much less that company. I think payment is the only problem for me.

rev

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

good place to work on.

Cons

meek salary, better negotiate sd

Decent company if you're not ambitious

Current Employee - Administrative Analyst - Fund Manager in UCLA, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Analyst - Fund Manager in UCLA, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, decent vacation hours, job security, location

Cons

Bad management, unfulfilling, tedious work.

Follow up with concerns from staff, don't wait for them to file complaints a second or third time. Provide more incentives (i.e. bonused, promotions, salary increases).