UCLA Reviews

Reset
3.9
UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Great compensation and work-life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Graduate student culture is nonexistent (in 20 reviews)

• low salary with high cost in LA (in 9 reviews)

1. Intellectual hub with a beautiful self-contained campus

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Exciting, invigorating academic environment with lot of very talented and intelligent faculty, students and staff.

Cons

Expensive housing and long commutes

Advice to Management

Make problem solving more process and less reactive

2. Great learning environment

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate I in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate I in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Lots of paid time off for vacation or sick days. The best part is not feeling guilty for actually taking time off. Colleagues have a good work ethic. Because it's not a glamorous environment, people are really there for the work not the perks. It's a great learning environment. Being right next to Westwood there are a lot of food options for lunch. Discounts on public transportation.

Cons

It's not a glamourous job. Parking is an additional monthly cost. Work schedule is not flexible.

Advice to Management

8 am-5 pm work schedule should not be mandatory. As long as productivity isn't sacrificed people should be allowed to set up flexible hours.

3. Great Place to Work

Former Employee - Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Flexible hours for students. Incredibly great and knowledgeable staff. Great pay. Potential for Work Study

Cons

Having to go to different departments in order to help professors troubleshoot their computers. Professors sometimes don't quite understand that a computer can't do everything.

Advice to Management

Have some training seminars in order to further technological knowledge of staff

5. Good mentor, lovely co-workers

Former Employee - Internship In Vision Lab in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Internship In Vision Lab in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

The mentor is brilliant and kind. The co-workers are helpful and smart. You have access to many seminars, which are extremely helpful. You have information of many vacations. A really lovely lab!

Cons

I can't think of any downside. maybe you have to spent some time to adjust to it, but people there are pretty friendly. Well, pressure is always there. But it is also a challenge.

Advice to Management

I think maybe it is better to give a specific work at the very beginning. I spent the first month lost in the field but finally survive.

6. Perfect Place for a First Job!

Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Supervisor in West Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Awesome place to work! The managers are extremely nice & understanding, as the company is campus-based and comprised mostly of students. Extremely flexible schedules, good working principles emphasized, cashier and customer service training provided, and many opportunities for growth!

Cons

Starting wage is a bit low in comparison to other on-campus jobs, but that is compensated by the flexible hours & pleasant working environment. Some tasks are repetitive & can get boring (i.e. cashiering for hours, stocking, etc.).

Advice to Management

Mark which department each employee works in on the employee nametags so that customers understand that an employee temporarily working in another department as extra manpower is simply from a different department and not just incompetent.

7. UCLA - Dining Services: Food Service Worker [09/09 - 05/10]

Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Food Service Worker in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Compensation w/r/t the type of work being done (dishwashing) including the hourly wages (and vacation + holiday pay), benefits package, free meals, and flexibility of scheduling. Personable and helpful management. High employee morale.

Cons

Truthfully speaking, there are few organizational shortcomings beyond the nature of the labor itself. Scrubbing pots and sanitizing silverware over two consecutive shifts (13 hours) may be too much to ask of some.

Advice to Management

Please continue doing what you've been doing for so many years, because you're doing a terrific job motivating your workforce and getting things done.

8. I was a part time clerk at UCLA.

Former Employee - Clerk in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

My employer was extremely flexible about changes in my schedule when personal issues (ie finals) came up.

Cons

The pay isn't great and the job was definitely not too challenging.

Advice to Management

Great job! Everyone knows the standards aren't too high because it's a student job. However, it was still fun and comfortable.

9. goog

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA

Pros

awesome place to work. You will love it here. very tough to get though. if you know some prof makes easier

Cons

You have to work very hard. mostly your day will go far beyond the typical 8 to 5 day shift

Advice to Management

I no advice for you guys. You guys are doing a wonderful job everyday. redefining the the norm and improving life

10. They support instructors and staff 100%.

Current Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Instructor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

Flexibility in offerings. Ability to propose new classes and being able to offer them quickly. For the most part, students are highly motivated, especially advanced students.

Cons

Marketing can sometimes be a bit weak, resulting in not enough students for a class to carry. Entry-level students sometimes don't have a clue as to what is expected at a college level.

Advice to Management

Make sure you listen to instructors on suggestions for marketing. Keep being flexible with offerings, and thank you for being very supportive to instructors and to students.

11. Inspiring, dynamic

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

A liberal arts atmosphere with break through research and world class reputation, famous alumni and brilliant professors, rich cultural atmosphere plus athletics

Cons

The campus houses many people and there is often a lot of noise and congestion as well as frequent construction and many visitors.

RSS Feed </> Embed