UCLA

Updated January 31, 2015
3.9

UCLA Chancellor Gene D. Block
Gene D. Block

Pros
  • Work-life balance was great -- rarely had to stay long hours (in 23 reviews)

• Casual work environment with high expectations (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Income for graduate student can be unstable, depending on how well your PI manage to get funding (in 20 reviews)

• Budget cuts and draconian restructuring methods on the horizon are only making these problems worse (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

EHS Specialist

I worked at UCLA

Pros

Benefits, time flexibility, some friendly staff

Cons

Senior staff does not listen to younger staff

Keep an open mind and understand that younger employees can make beneficial contributions.

Specialist

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in UCLA, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in UCLA, CA

I have been working at UCLA

Pros

benefits are decent and lots of days off since its state holidays

Cons

as someone stated depends on what department you work under . Our department is micromanaged big time, received $3 cummulative raise after 4.5years. No overtime pay unless you are manager favorite , also if you are favorite then you don't receive complicate work - basically you are screwed and used . Not sure why they hire the same group of people who like to make the tush bigger and management who misuse and abuse their power. Transfer to another department difficult at least in my department .

value employees that work not watch Internet and like to make their heads bigger- and listen to employees who know what they are doing oh and try not to steal or get credit for employee ideas -

Extremely disappointed

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance if you are lucky to have a good manager which I didn't have. Benefits were good

Cons

There is absolutely no formal training for the job function you are about to do. Management is not helpful in the sense that you are assumed to have knowledge of all relevant departments of UCLA and have advanced skillset for MS Excel. Guidelines were not set and I had to figure out everything by myself. No feedback at all if I was doing a good or bad job until the day I got let go. Absolutely horrible experience.

Be more patient with the people working under you. Be especially patient with new employees. Let them know if they are doing a good job or a bad job and coach them so that they become better.

Very Major Disappointment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health plan was decent. Having UCLA on your resume is somewhat of a bonus. The employee discounts were kind of decent, but that's about it.

Cons

I worked for a UCLA off-campus division. The experience was horrible: I encountered a lot of politics and blatant racism. The management was incompetent, the facilities were inadequate, there was a lot of in-fighting amongst employees and favoritism for males with the "right" skin color (in fact, UCLA has a tendency to only re-hire white males who left the company). And I truly believe that they do not value their African-American employees. In fact, I believe they work against them. I understand that this is a major issue with black students. But it is also VERY prevalent for African-American UCLA employees. It's clearly abhorrent and pathetic. I also encourage minorities to NOT indicate their race on the online UCLA application. I truly believe this will work against them.

The Regents need to take a close look at ALL of UCLA divisions. The division I worked for has its headquarters on campus but also satellites across L.A. So because it's so spread out, middle managers can continue to practice unscrupulous acts. The Regents also need to place more attention on civil rights and examine how their African-American employees are treated.

Oncology Research Department

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job benefits are outstanding. Most of the staff and patients are really wonderful.

Cons

Poor training if any; horrible management and HR department. Review the companies ongoing diversity issues all over the Internet.

Take cultural sensitivity training, stop hiring friends and family and playing favorites. Take an ethics course to learn how to treat people the way you want to be treated.

Stay away from this company.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant III in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Horrible management, they need to let people with degrees have management positions... Not people who have been there 20+ years.

Change your culture.

Understaffed, Underpaid, Micromanaged, Moronic

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are a few gems you will meet in this department, but they are few and far in between. Those are the only people that matter in this toxic environment.

Cons

The management is awful and moronic. They do not know what they are doing and treat every single employee as if they are replaceable. However, the management is SO bad that they can't even replace an employee. While other UCLA departments can hire within 30 days, UAN management takes at least 4 months just to hire for a position they knew about for over 2 years. The management is also passive aggressive, selfish, and will penalize you for everything. If you accomplish something, the manager will take credit for it, and if the management fails something, they will not hesitate to place the blame on you. They are also so oblivious to anything that goes on around them. This was by far the worst management I have ever seen and even after you leave the department, they will tell everyone to cut all ties with you. The manager is so paranoid that she theorized about how past employees may be sabotaging and manipulating her files in the server; which is not possible. And past employees are so relieved to get out of the department they don't ever look back, not to mention waste their time manipulating her templates.

Management is the problem and they are the reason that people can't do their work. This environment is TOXIC, negative, unmotivational, and self-deprecating. Management is selfish and oblivious, unorganized and passive aggressive, and overall just the worst. There is NO room for movement and NOWHERE TO GO from here.

Deceptive hiring practices. Too many oldtimers - who are WAY behind the curve.

Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits. Working with students is by far the best part of working for UCLA. Get out and enjoy the beautiful campus.

Cons

Stuck in the past. Management refuses to embrace technology or new best practices. Anderson school of "mis-Management" has a horrible culture. High level professors, especially the emeriti, are a sham. Definitely a case of "those who can't do - teach".

Wake up and appreciate new talent and clear the path for advancement by thinning out the old wood instead of letting us slip through your fingers while you chase your tails and quote policy and procedures from the 1980's.

School of Law terrible place to work, not sure of other areas on campus

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at UCLA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good health coverage

Cons

Zero raises, chastised if ask for raise, ignorant management, unfair balance of wages, favoritism, zero training opportunities, zero motivation, not rewarded for work, increasing workload and responsibility with zero compensation for said increase, expected to live on stagnant wage, treated with contempt, disappearing benefits, specifically retirement program.

Interact with your employees to actually see how much work they do

Bewildering

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at UCLA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

UCLA has a beautiful campus, wonderful weather, and is populated by some amazingly intelligent, motivated, hard-working students.

Cons

Job expectations could not be less clear. I'm guessing this is probably because no one in the administration knows what they are either. You are evaluated by sets of committees filled with nameless members whom you never meet. The criterion you are evaluated on are sometimes secret and often contradictory (from committee to committee). The worst part is there is no one to discuss your performance with because you have no idea who will be evaluating you and this will be different every time.

While I understand the importance of shared leadership, accountability has its advantages as well. It would be nice to create a system where employees could have some idea whom they could turn to for reliable job advice. It would be nice to have some hints at standards by which one could assess oneself. I have heard many people discuss how difficult it would be for the multiple layers of committees with their ever-shifting membership to establish any criterion at all. While I recognize the difficulty in this, consider the even greater difficulty this poses for employees being evaluated by groups of people who have given up hope on the idea of agreeing as to how to evaluate them.